Old September 22, 2003, 20:14   #151
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
If it is an oppressive state, then you have every right to revolt, as it is undemocratic.
The point is that your idea of a free state is my idea of an oppressive state. If I disagree with the policies of a state (i.e. find it too authoritarian), I always have the recourse of escaping it in a democratic system.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old September 22, 2003, 20:15   #152
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Ok then. So? Vote to make segregation illegal.
Once again, so you agree with the imprisonment of MLK when he did an act of civil disobedience against segregation?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old September 22, 2003, 20:17   #153
Edan
Warlord

Local Time: 05:05
Quote:
Originally posted by oedo

in this case it would violate my freedom to travel to Iraq anytime I like or need.
How is that a fundamental human right?
Old September 22, 2003, 20:17   #154
Kuciwalker
Deity

Well, you can always claim asylum at an embassy and renounce US citizenship.

Referring back to the original point of contention, the sanctions keep you from bringing goods or money into Iraq because they are a "hostile" country. I think the law may actually be part of the UN sanctions on Iraq (I don't know, though). If you move there and become Iraqi, they wouldn't do anything (they really wouldn't care all that much).
Old September 22, 2003, 20:19   #155
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 09:05
Yeah, Iraq and Cuba are such hostile threats to america. Any minute, they could invade.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 22, 2003, 20:19   #156
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo

Once again, so you agree with the imprisonment of MLK when he did an act of civil disobedience against segregation?
Personally, *IMHO* the law was unconstitutional anyways, so yes it was wrong. However, if the law was constitutional, yes, he broke the law. I'm not saying he did a bad thing, but the law should apply equally and consistantly. He didn't have to break the law to protest it.
Old September 22, 2003, 20:19   #157
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
It insures you can choose another state if you disagree with the laws, get a better life for yourself, get better education, get a better job, etc., etc.
-Bokonon
Old September 22, 2003, 20:20   #158
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Yeah, Iraq and Cuba are such hostile threats to america. Any minute, they could invade.
More like we were putting pressure on Saddam by embargoing him.

It isn't a real effective embargo if you let people trade with them is it?
Old September 22, 2003, 20:21   #159
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:

It insures you can choose another state if you disagree with the laws, get a better life for yourself, get better education, get a better job, etc., etc.
Again, just claim asylum at the embassy.

However, I don't think this is exactly a concern with Iraq (looking for a more democratic, prosperous country)
Old September 22, 2003, 20:27   #160
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Well, you can always claim asylum at an embassy and renounce US citizenship.
Why should I? And there aren't many countries that take in lots of asylum seekers, BTW. Just look at the Euros ***** and whine on this forum.

Quote:
Referring back to the original point of contention, the sanctions keep you from bringing goods or money into Iraq because they are a "hostile" country.
That's idiotic.

Quote:
I think the law may actually be part of the UN sanctions on Iraq (I don't know, though).
No it's not.

Quote:
If you move there and become Iraqi, they wouldn't do anything (they really wouldn't care all that much).
Why should they have to do that?

Quote:
Personally, *IMHO* the law was unconstitutional anyways, so yes it was wrong. However, if the law was constitutional, yes, he broke the law. I'm not saying he did a bad thing, but the law should apply equally and consistantly. He didn't have to break the law to protest it.
This is the sort of blind legalistic fanaticism that is far too prevalent in this country.

What about when Hitler decided to put 12 million people in concentration camps (i.e. taking away their freedom of movemtn)? Should the Jews, Roma, etc. worry about breaking the law? Since the right to movement isn't covered under freedom of expression or freedom of self government?
-Bokonon
Old September 22, 2003, 20:31   #161
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Have you ever tried claiming asylum? Do you realize how hard it is to do that? Especially if you're poor or uneducated or have the wrong skin color? For instance, if you come from the wrong country, we automatically detain asylum seekers for months to years. Being locked up isn't very fun.

And the point isn't specific to Iraq. I'm talking about generalized freedoms here. And It's applicable to Iraq as well; there were jobs there, mind you.
-Bokonon
Old September 22, 2003, 20:37   #162
Edan
Warlord

Quote:

Huh? Iraq ain't another state - it's another country. And people aren't allowed to move freely across borders. It's frequently illegal if they don't have the permission to do it. Or do you think illegal immigation is a basic human right?

Now, getting refugee status or asylum when you've been severly persecuted in your own country - that might be a basic human right.
Old September 22, 2003, 20:38   #163
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Iraq is another state (look up state in the dictionary ). And yes, I think immigration should be a basic human right.
-Bokonon
Old September 22, 2003, 21:15   #164
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 10:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Edan
how is moving free no fundamental right? the eastern block collapsed because the people revolted against reactionary restrictions like such one. the fall of the Berlin Wall was all about the freedom to travel and move free.
Old September 22, 2003, 22:12   #165
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Funny how Bush gets blamed for this, when this kind of stuff has been going on for years.
Old September 22, 2003, 22:31   #166
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

depends. no one posted the law yet, so we donīt know.
maybe the law itself even has a point and was made to secure the UN embargo against Iraq and prevent trade activities just as investments in Iraq. it certainly was never intended to harass peace activists or travellers.

if so then the Bush admin is to blame for the excessive abuse of this law by defining that daily trades for oneīs own living would be the same thing like commercial trade.
Old September 23, 2003, 00:12   #167
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 18:05
Presumably this counts as a form of civil disobedience.

However, it's clear that this is malicious prosecution of one's political enemies rather than a serious attempt to crack down on evil criminals.
Old September 23, 2003, 00:34   #168
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 01:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
Funny how Bush gets blamed for this, when this kind of stuff has been going on for years.
When was the last time?

And, last I recall, Mr. Bush was allegedly in charge over there in DC? In the military, they have this little thing known as "command responsibility."
Old September 23, 2003, 00:42   #169
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 01:05
Quote:
Originally posted by oedo
depends. no one posted the law yet, so we donīt know.
maybe the law itself even has a point and was made to secure the UN embargo against Iraq and prevent trade activities just as investments in Iraq. it certainly was never intended to harass peace activists or travellers.

if so then the Bush admin is to blame for the excessive abuse of this law by defining that daily trades for oneīs own living would be the same thing like commercial trade.
There's no single specific law by itself. The way it works is George Bush Sr. issued an executive order that claims authority from prior acts of Congress, and the EO authorizes different executive agencies to develop regulations for prohibited and permittable actions - since the point of sanctions acts are to prohibit commerce, most of that regulation is developed by the Dept. of the Treasury.

If prosecuted, the arrestees would be charged under one or more provisions of the original statutes that the EO claims as authority.

Anyway, here y'all go:

http://www.treas.gov/offices/eotffc/...l/eo/12722.pdf
Old September 23, 2003, 11:24   #170
Elden
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:35
It seems that justice and law get further apart day by day.
Old September 23, 2003, 14:08   #171
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

thanks MtG. reading the EO the govermentīs abuse of it becomes obvious. it was made in order to limit economic relations to a dictatorship and now itīs abused for a silly witchhunt on harmless travellers and hippies. this EO was never directed to theses people.
I hope the goverment will lose on this.
Old September 24, 2003, 00:07   #172
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
Acutally, no. The last time anyone was prosecuted was under the Reagan Administration, for going to Cuba and then shooting their mouth off about it. If you went to Cuba and didn't tell everyone you went, the Feds didn't care. Up until Bush II, no one cared if you went to Cuba, now they are making noises about prosecuting Americans who go there. All during the Clinton years, Voices in the Wilderness traveled to Iraq. Now people are being threatened with prison for standing up to their government.

I think they were terribly naive if they thought they could try and embaress this Administration and get away with it scott free. These people are like the Mob.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...