Old September 21, 2003, 21:28   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 05:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The bin diver strikes again:Myst for $3
Well i suppose at that price ive already got my moneys worth - at least it ran.

Not sure i like the puzzly aspects - of course maybe thats cause im stuck. Maybe once I get the hang of it
Old September 21, 2003, 22:17   #2
CygnusZ
Warlord

Local Time: 09:06
I'd say you were ripped off
Old September 22, 2003, 01:12   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Blue pages... Red pages... heh.. hehehehehhhe!!
Old September 22, 2003, 09:03   #4
lord of the mark
Deity

Well ive exlored all around myst island. I figured out which was the forecourt, and i correctly counted the marker switches, but couldnt figure out how to operate the imager. Finally checked out a website that told me how to do that.

I'll proceed from there.
Old September 22, 2003, 09:18   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 10:06
I'm rather surprised that Myst isn't freeware by now.
Old September 22, 2003, 10:09   #6
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
I'm rather surprised that Myst isn't freeware by now.
well i think theyre still selling it packaged with Riven and Myst2. So they wont give it away. I bought a used copy from EB.

even if i only play through once, thats decent gameplay for $3. The stuff so far on Myst island looks clever, and the graphics are pretty, and its kinda fun in its own way. So im not disappointed so far (it helps that ive heard so many negtive things over the years - when your expectations are low, its hard to be disappointed)
Old September 22, 2003, 13:54   #7
Jac de Molay
Prince

Myst and The sims fall into that sub-genre known as Chick Games.

Kind of like "Chick" movies.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old September 22, 2003, 15:15   #8
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jac de Molay

do you like any adventure games?
Old September 24, 2003, 11:24   #9
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

Well princess of the mark, who doesnt much like my tbs and wargames, and who is lobbying for "the sims" seems to really like Myst, so i guess theres something to that. Although i also find myst at least somewhat enjoyable.
Old September 24, 2003, 15:52   #10
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 01:06
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Myst was a stupid ass game. It was supposed to be super hard . You should beat it in less than a week.
Old September 24, 2003, 16:01   #11
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike
Myst was a stupid ass game. It was supposed to be super hard . You should beat it in less than a week.
I guess im not to good with puzzles, while ive figured out most on my own, ive checked out some hints already. Maybe also i dont have patience for thinking about the same thing over and over again, pixel hunting everywhere, etc. I suppose id prefer a more story oriented, less puzzle oriented adventure game.
Old September 24, 2003, 16:51   #12
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

It was $3 - stop whining.
Old September 24, 2003, 16:54   #13
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
It was $3 - stop whining.
You mean people pay more than that for games
Old September 24, 2003, 17:01   #14
DrSpike
Deity

What else could you buy for $3 that would give you 30 hours of entertainment?

Keep it clean Skanky.
Old September 25, 2003, 10:19   #15
pg
Prince

Local Time: 04:06
i don't know why everyone bashes myst. it was a decent game especially if you played it way back when it was new. it has a good story, and great gfx(are they still great?).
Old October 1, 2003, 13:07   #16
Grumbold
Emperor

I think the criticism was that there was nothing to do. Some people solved the puzzles fast and were deeply unimpressed at how shallow it was.
Old October 1, 2003, 14:00   #17
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I thought Myst was supposed to be the biggest selling game ever? 5 million copies or something like that?
Old October 1, 2003, 23:27   #18
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

It was at one time. I don't know now after the The Sims.
Old October 2, 2003, 04:33   #19
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 11:06
Myst is a great game! You must compare it to the games around at its release, not the standards of today... That being said, even at full price today I'd buy it, so the bin diver is only to be congratulated...

It's the first (and only) puzzle game I've solved completely. After Myst I quickly picked up Riven, Morpheus, Blackout, Atlantis, and two more which I can't spell , and recently Myst III. All of them good games (well, I didn't really like Atlantis). The only reason I haven't played these to the end is simply lack of time...

The only thing I don't like with games like this is the lack of interaction with an AI (never thought I'd miss the AI!) and the repetetive wandering around when stuck and not having a clue what to do.

Carolus
Old October 2, 2003, 10:58   #20
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex
Myst is a great game! You must compare it to the games around at its release, not the standards of today... That being said, even at full price today I'd buy it, so the bin diver is only to be congratulated...

It's the first (and only) puzzle game I've solved completely. After Myst I quickly picked up Riven, Morpheus, Blackout, Atlantis, and two more which I can't spell , and recently Myst III. All of them good games (well, I didn't really like Atlantis). The only reason I haven't played these to the end is simply lack of time...

The only thing I don't like with games like this is the lack of interaction with an AI (never thought I'd miss the AI!) and the repetetive wandering around when stuck and not having a clue what to do.

Carolus

Yup - the puzzles for the most part are not massively intellectually challenging, just a lot of running around and trying different things. and its particularly frustrating cause of the difficulties of finding stuff in the dark graphics. For example I totally figured out everything about the "forechamber imager" but would NEVER have actually found the place to run it if I hadnt checked a hint site on the web. Ive gotten to channelworld, and am frustrated at the difficulty of turning around, following a path etc.

I mean the graphics are pretty and its nice to have a story, and yes id buy it again for $3, but I wouldnt buy a game like this for $20 or more. Definitely NOT planning on getting Riven. Id be willing to get another adventure game, but would want to know what is different about it.

Im glad this game appealed to the masses, and brought folks into the hobby, and there IS a lot thats cool about it, but I find it rather ungripping, im afraid.
Old October 2, 2003, 18:22   #21
Hueij
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

do you like any adventure games?
Care to explain what Myst has to do with Adventure Games? A stupid puzzle fest...
Old October 2, 2003, 19:54   #22
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:06
Quote:

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

Heck, I've already gotten $3 worth of entertainment from this thread.
Old October 2, 2003, 21:29   #23
CygnusZ
Warlord

Quote:
I believe you're reaching for the term, "Chick Flick".
Old October 3, 2003, 04:57   #24
MariOne
King

Oh, well, I liked Myst a lot and I think Riven is the best game ever.
A masterpiece that as a whole has a soul, much more than the sum of its mere parts and aspects and technical details which taken singularly of course have ben perfectioned and outdated over time.

If that qualifies me as shallow and stupid to some genius minds here, I don't care, I bow to their superiority and will go on the same relishing the grateful memories of having had the opportunity to play those two games.

In Myst the puzzles were rather unrelated to each other, it's true. Yet, most of them already required some thinking and not just "pixel hunting" or trying whatever you could till you stumbled in a solution.

If you wanted a stupid shallow puzzle game example, think of "Martian Chronicles". Or the Gabriel Knight series.

What Myst lacks, Riven has.
The background story and its interaction with the puzzles is brought to a maximum.
To solve some, you needed to learn the *culture* of the inhabitants of the created Fifth Age. Hell, you even had to go in a school, fiddle with what could seem just a gadget toy applet put there, and learn to read the numbers of Riven foreign alphabet.

LotM, if you only are barley intrigued by Myst, even if you think it has flaws and it's not properly implemeted, DO get Riven if you only can. You should not only if you actually find out that you HATE Myst genre.

___
Oh, and read the BOOKS.
I bought them from Amazon and eBay last year, and if you only barely enjoyed Mike Ely's Alpha Centauri trilogy, they're WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better, and actually help and enhance the understanding and enjoyment of Myst/Riven games
Old October 3, 2003, 08:15   #25
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Congratulations, you're the first serious gamer I've ever met who thinks Myst isn't a steaming, pretentious pile of excrement, an empty husk of overrated graphics stretched like a giant's condom over a barely coherent series of cheap puzzle gamettes.
Old October 3, 2003, 08:32   #26
DrSpike
Deity

I disapprove of this attempt at revisionist history. Myst was always a controversial game, but in no way can it be said that fans, even amongst hardcore gamers, were uncommon. It was always a love-it or hate-it game, with the 2 sides pretty evenly matched.
Old October 3, 2003, 08:45   #27
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I sold the original Myst game(for Playstation) on ebay for 15 bucks!
Old October 3, 2003, 09:15   #28
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MariOne

LotM, if you only are barley intrigued by Myst, even if you think it has flaws and it's not properly implemeted, DO get Riven if you only can. You should not only if you actually find out that you HATE Myst genre.
Barely intrigued is about the right way to put it. Ok, I wont say I'll never get Riven. It does sound more interesting based on your description. But lets say its still not near the top of my list of the next games to buy.
Old October 6, 2003, 20:08   #29
vee4473
King

My only comment is about the thread topic...bin diving.

It is the single most underrated activity in the gaming world I think.

Bin diving is like gaming archaeology. A true adventure that can be satisfying, and disappointing. Treasures ARE occasionally waiting to be found.

Sure, you can look like a geek and fool digging through the usually messy bins, but do NOT be deterred!!!!!

You just NEVER know when the usually disappointing excavations will turn up a jewel.

(especially a game that you got rid of, and then regretted..heh)