Old May 25, 2000, 06:30   #1
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 06:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
To any good RF players...
I`m crap at Red Front, but I don`t know how to improve my game. On my current on, it`s Summer 1942, and the Germans are starting to overwhelm me. I don`t know what I`ve done wrong. If anyone wants, I`ll send them my save game. Just reply in the affirmative and I`ll e-mail it to you.

P.S If you want it to be sent to an address other than the one in your profile, say so in your post, otherwise I`ll just send it to the one in your profile.
Old May 25, 2000, 11:37   #2
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Please send it to me, I'd like to see how others play.

------------------
Lancer: MarkL, well said, everything...

"Only resolution and habit can let me make an entry tonight. I am too miserable, too low-spirited, too sick of the world and all in it, including life itself, that I would not care if I heard this moment the flapping of the wings of the Angel of Death."
Old May 25, 2000, 17:32   #3
Paul Hanson
King

Let`s see...

I`m mainly building T-34/76`s, IL-2`s, and AA Batteries. I`m researching Mobile Warfare III, and I`m holding onto a line of cities more or less along the Volga (I think that`s the river). A lot of my less well-producing cities are building either Motorized Infantry and Red Guard. But I just can`t break the German lines.

If you need more info, just ask.
Old May 25, 2000, 20:45   #4
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:58
Nemo made Red Front so that its hard to stop the Germans in Summer 1942. Instead of counter attacking, build up your defences on the Volga, and save your offencive units for Winter, when the Russians have a decicive advantag. Then counter attack with EVERYTHING you have!
Old May 25, 2000, 21:35   #5
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 05:58
I have played both Red Front v1.3 and v1.4.

The main thing to remember is: stay on the defensive! Do not attempt a counterattack until early 1943. Let the Germans impale themselves on your defences.

Your refugees: get them well behind your lines and start founding new cities in the mountain regions and on the plains leading to the mountains. Build lots and lots of industries to go with your cities. Your plan is to overwhelm the Germans with MORE troops.

Troops: tanks are nice - but they take a long time to build. Get some of your faster cities to crank out tanks. Concentrate on Cossacks - cheap to build and they ignore terrain - good attack values too. Red guard are good in the winter - ignore terrain costs. And they can put up excellent fight against German tanks and infantry.

In the early years - found cities, build industries, crank out cossacks and red guard, with as many tanks and AA as you can. Don't worry about artillery at this stage. Also a few fighters and bombers (to handle those Tiger tanks at the battle of Kursk).

Use partisans in the swamps to harrass advancing German troops - you must stop Germans at Stalingrad - and NOT let them advance into your oil fields.

But again - in the early stages - play defensive - with only limited counterattacks (for example - after Germans attack a city - send a couple of tanks a couple of hexes and take out the damaged German tanks and then retreat your tanks back into your city) Hit and run tactics should be the order of the day. Keep building up your troops - you should be able to found another dozen cities (no kidding) - for these build only a barracks and then crank out cossacks and red guard infantry.

When winter comes - you will have the advantage - red guard and cossacks can attack with no penalties - your tanks will be tough - limited counterattacks in the winter - but do not expose your troops - hit the Germans and then withdraw to safety.

Then in early to mid-1943 - you should be able to start advancing - slowly taking one city at a time - but be careful - Germans will still have quite a punch - just take your time - and bomb, harass and keep producing military units... keep going and you will do it.

You may have to play this scenario a couple of times in order to properly get a feel for what you need to do - there is a lot going on in this scenario - and make sure that you read the readme file as it contains a lot of very necessary info. Hope this helps - good luck

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited May 25, 2000).]
Old May 26, 2000, 00:02   #6
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 21:58
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Paul - What was your tech path? And what types of units did you build?

Xin and Mark and others have posted how they beat the game - have you read their strategies? If so what specific things didn't work for you?
Old May 26, 2000, 00:49   #7
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

May I have a look at it? Please send it to me. If you have saved files for previous turns please also send them to me.
Old May 27, 2000, 06:24   #8
Saint Marcus
King

Sorry to say this Paul, but your situation is pretty hopeless.

1. The Germans have bribed the Fortified Battery near Leningrad so there's a big chance you'll lose the city.

2. The Germans have captured Kerch and Rostow, so they can now advance directly to Stalingrad or the Caucusus.

3. You've also lost Smolensk and all other cities west of Moscow.

I don't know if you've read my strategy or not, but holding Kerch, Rostow and preferably Smolenk is of the utmost importance. If you lose them you will have very little chance to win the scenario, unless you have a shitload of aircraft, heavy tanks, tankhunters and rocketlaunchers ready to retake those cities. But since you don't have that many of them you can't win anymore Also, in the early parts of the scenario (41/43) you should have build lots of Cossack Cavalry units, they have the best price/performance ratio. Sorry Comrade, but the fight is lost

The main thing to remember is: stay on the defensive! Do not attempt a counterattack until early 1943. Let the Germans impale themselves on your defences.

I was already launching counter attacks in winter 41 and winter 42. Very effective too.

Then in early to mid-1943 - you should be able to start advancing - slowly taking one city at a time - but be careful - Germans will still have quite a punch - just take your time - and bomb, harass and keep producing military units... keep going and you will do it.

I started a massive counter offensive in winter 42. Already captured more then a dozen German cities before winter 43. In September 1943 I was in Poland (Warsaw and other cities too) and planning to advance into Germany in the winter.

------------------

"Only resolution and habit can let me make an entry tonight. I am too miserable, too low-spirited, too sick of the world and all in it, including life itself, that I would not care if I heard this moment the flapping of the wings of the Angel of Death."
Old May 27, 2000, 06:42   #9
Paul Hanson
King

I had a feeling this was going to happen

Anyway, it`s only a game, so I`ll just have start again. Good thing I`m not Stalin
Old May 27, 2000, 07:39   #10
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 01:58
Actually if he holds Moscow and Stalingrad, he still has a very good chance of winning. He just needs to build up his industrial base and counter-attack in 1943. He'll need Il-2s, T-34/85s, and Katyushas (the more of these the better).
Old May 27, 2000, 08:04   #11
Saint Marcus
King

No he can't win...he doesn't have enough forces in his big cities, and even if he can hold Stalingrad he can't protect the Caucasus too. Chances of winning are very slim indeed.
Old May 27, 2000, 11:23   #12
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Paul, I received your file, but it was a 1946 Summer saved file, not as you described, 1942. Could you resend the file again?

I don't know if it works, but surrounding Rostov with your Caucassus Calcary units (all in the same turn) may force the units supported by the city to disband. That way Caucasus is relatively safe.
Old May 27, 2000, 11:32   #13
Sortub
Chieftain

Paul-

If you look below on this forum, you will find several threads dedicated to Red Front. I found them enormously useful.

Old May 27, 2000, 16:32   #14
Paul Hanson
King

Hey guys, come on. It`s only a game. Anyway, I think we`ve determined that I`m pretty screwed anyway. I didn`t really develop the Urals much anyway (I tend to develop the nearer cities like Gorkiy and Astrakhan instead), so I`m pretty ****ed.

Xin Yu: I`ll send you that save file as soon as I can.
Old May 27, 2000, 16:37   #15
Paul Hanson
King

BTW, thanks for that stuff you sent me, Sortub. I only just found it when I checked my e-mail.
Old May 28, 2000, 00:40   #16
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 01:58
Yes he can win because I've been in the same situation before.

It's called sack and kill German units

The only way he's screwed is if he didn't develop the Urals like he should have.
Old May 28, 2000, 17:19   #17
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 00:58
Just wondering, how do you italize in a post?

------------------
"There's one more thing you men can say when it's all over and you're home once more. You can thank God that twenty years from now when you're sitting by the fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you what you did in the war, you won't have to shift him to the other knee, cough and say, 'I shovelled **** in Louisiana.'"
-General George S. Patton addressing his troops before D-Day landings June 1944
Old May 28, 2000, 19:42   #18
Leonidas
King

Mark L: Your comments are appreciated

1) You'll note that I stated that he should stay on the defensive, BUT launch local, limited counterattacks.

2) Early to mid-43 is pretty close to the times that you started a massive counterattack. These time-lines will fluctuate according to how a person is doing.

3) My suggestions were given for the use of BEGINNERS. After all, if one reads the readme file, the Soviets do not have to take Berlin in order to win - the Soviets will win provided that the Germans can be prevented from taking Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad. A beginner in this scenario needs to learn how to fight a good defensive battle, develop the Urals (build lots of cities and protect your refugees), and crank out the right combination of units.

The massive counterattacks, etc are fine for experienced players. But to start, a player needs to cover and implement the fundamentals well. Then he can learn how to drive all the way to Berlin (and have the satisfaction of doing it )

But remember: the Soviets don't have to take Berlin (or Germany for that matter) in order to win. Just hold your key cities, and inflict pain on the invading Hun... and you will win
Old May 29, 2000, 01:05   #19
Saint Marcus
King

Alright, good point. However, in Paul's savegame the Germans are ready to overrun Leningrad, Stalingrad and the Caucasus. Then he doesn't have any chance of winning anymore. I've been in the same position, and slowely but steadely the human player will lose ground, until it's too late. Unless he has an incredibly high production or an incredible number of units in cities behind the front then he won't stand much chance.

------------------

Old May 30, 2000, 18:45   #20
Leonidas
King

Very good points MarkL. If Paul does lose leningrad, Stalingrad AND the Caucusus (and without having buit up the Urals) - then I would agree with you (barring some fantastc miracle) that he will lose. It is best he start over and develop a sound game from the ground up... there is no shame in this - this is a tough scenario.

The key to winning this game (as in the real war on the Eastern Front) is to build lots and lots of cities in the Urals, develop them with lots of industries, and to crank out lots of military units. Then wear down the German side through attrition and local counterattacks... until you're ready to take the war to the invading Hun...

But I must say, what a terrific scenario Captain Nemo should be congratulated for producing and continually improving this excellent scenario. If anyone out there hasn't played this one yet - you don't know what you're missing...

------------------
[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited May 30, 2000).]
Old May 30, 2000, 19:18   #21
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Since I still haven't got the saved file I can't say if it is hopeless or not. But I think using river transportation Stalingrad can be reinforced pretty quickly. Caucasus is not very difficult to defend if he stack bombers with AA batteries on mountain squares. Leningrad is safe since he can move a fortified position into the city (the one northwest to the city). Moscow has minefield to protect it.
Old May 31, 2000, 18:27   #22
The ANZAC
King

Local Time: 00:58
Hey, I'm not so great at RF either. Would anyone like to see how I'm doing? I'm in the summer of '42 and I'm holding my line, but the Germans seem to be infiltrating my lines by Voronezh. I've built my UMIP into a ready to fluorsih industry, but my problem is unit displacings along the front. Please let me know to email you it and give an alternate email if the one under your profile isn't correct. BTW, how do you italicize and make the text bold?
Old May 31, 2000, 19:06   #23
Sten Sture
Emperor

ANZAC - bold & italics

If you see a smilie or text in a post and you aren't sure how it was done, just click the edit button on the post - you can't actually change the post without the password, but it will show you how it was done. Try it on this one!
Old June 1, 2000, 07:22   #24
Saint Marcus
King

quote:

But I think using river transportation Stalingrad can be reinforced pretty quickly.

Perhaps, but he'll need an incredible number of units to keep the city.

quote:

Caucasus is not very difficult to defend if he stack bombers with AA batteries on mountain squares.

A bit of cheating I reckon.

quote:

Leningrad is safe since he can move a fortified position into the city (the one northwest to the city).

That certainly is cheating.

quote:

Moscow has minefield to protect it.

And how much good will that do? not much. But in Paul's savegame Moscow is relatively safe.

Anzac, please send your savegame to me.

------------------

Old June 1, 2000, 10:49   #25
Sortub
Chieftain

Mark-

If you look on earlier threads below on the this topic, it is clear that Nemo says bringing fortified bunkers into cities is not cheating.
Old June 1, 2000, 11:16   #26
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Mark L:

Leningrad: since the AI bribed a fortified battery, it is a little bit unfair to the human player. So I think moving the fortified position to the city is justified.

Caucasus: build a fortress on mountain top and keep on sending cavalry to it also works.
Old June 3, 2000, 04:24   #27
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

I've started playing RF now and also would like to ask some advice. Here's my map (jan in the winter of '41/'42)
http://home-1.worldonline.nl/~thomas...winter1941.jpg

As seen from the map I had a relatively good start. I managed to hold Smolensk until now and Kiev until nov41. This seriously slowed the germans down and gave me an opportunity to do some research (2 turns per advance ) and start building tanks for my winter offensive. I used fortified positions to secure my ports in the south and in the north. My only real problem is Moscow. Smolensk has only one unit left and it's impossible to send reinforcements because I only have 2-3 tanks, some troops and a fortified position to fend off the germans near moscow. Reinforcements are on their way but they'll arrive too late to make any significant impact. Should I dig in?
The northern and southern front are doing fine. I've almost defeated Finland and once those troops are shipped back to Leningrad I can go on a late winter offensive.
The hardest battle is being fought in the south. My tanks started arriving in force just before winter (KV-1's, T-34's etc..) and have the Germans on the defensive. I've destroyed plenty of infantry but haven't tried retaking any cities, should I try or is it too risky?
I've left Sevastopol and the city down south on building naval infantry. I loaded up some freighters and have been having success by taking that small port city just east of Ploesti. Should I try to go for Ploesti? I don't have that many naval forces to spare...

What's my best option at the moment? Should I dig in and prepare for the German summer offensive or should I try to push the Germans back as far as possible as long as it's still winter?

P.S
When I heard about RF I downloaded version 1.1 from CSC. I couldn't find 1.4 anywhere until I browsed deep into the threads here. (update your files guys!).
Old June 3, 2000, 10:50   #28
Leonidas
King

Cap: Nice looking map

IMHO at this particular stage of the game I wouldn't plan an all out offensive - just use minor local counterattacks and then withdraw your units to safety. You are in a battle of attrition in this scenario - so you must crank out your military units.

Protect your refugees and get them into the Urals, build more cities and industries, and crank out military units.

Plan to at least hold the line from Leningrad to Moscow to Stalingrad as well as Sevastopol.

Be careful in trying to capture too much, too soon, or you will spread your forces too thinly and the Hun will make mincemeat out of you (the big bad German tanks are coming in July 1943 at Kursk - watch out).

Concentrate your forces along the above lines, and plan a fighting withdrawl to that line, and dig in with fortresses, AA, antitank and infantry.

My advice at this stage is don't go for Ploesti right now - you will be dividing your forces and resupply will be a problem - once you land forces over there, the Hun will show you no mercy - your forces will be cut-off.

Remember, you will win this scenario by holding the above cities and denying them to the Germans. Be patient - dig in and make the Hun pay for every attack - use local counterattacks to take out weakened German units - and build your forces in strength.

Get those Murmansk Convoys shipping over units pronto and reinforce Leningrad...

Then in late 1942 or early 1943 (depending on the situation) begin a concentrated counterattack in force.

I hope this helps and good luck

Check out the advice given earlier in this thread as well.

------------------
Old June 3, 2000, 11:07   #29
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Generally, continue to build up your force, don't attack.

But if you have enough forces, you can transport kat launcher to kiev from the river, along with partisans attacking from north (use red army (?) to attack and when they are killed you get partisans). If you can take Kiev then partisans can be transported back to the Southern front from river quickly to destroy German hedgehogs, and to Romania and attack Poliesti.
Kiev is the key, otherwise the partisans will take several turns to back home, and you have to suffer huge loss to the hedgehogs.
And your defense in South must be very strong before the next Summer comes.
Old June 4, 2000, 09:12   #30
Sortub
Chieftain

I looked over your map briefly on the 'net, and, having played this scenario through twice to autumn '45. Also, threads below on this topic really helped me out.

1) Move bunkers, when you can, into Leningrad and Rostow, by building cities on top of them, as described elsewhere.

2) As the Germans are going to overrun you anyhow once summer of '42 comes around, I don't really see the overall value of trying to hold onto cities west of the Leningrad-Moscow-Stalingrad line. I strip down many of these cities, pillaging industry, in the first rounds of the game. Believe me, if you can fight off the Germans in '43, you will have more than enough strength to retake them later. In one recent game, for example, I sold like everything in Sevastopol, for fear the Germans would occupy it, which they did for only one turn in total. Really build cities and industry to the east with refugee/laborers.

Likewise, the Germans will kick you hard of you try and take Ploisti/Galati early. I know it's tempting, but your cruisers are too valuable for this. There will be time later on to do this.

In the early stages of the game, carefully husband those antiquated T-28 tanks. Once December '41 comes around, they become valuable T34/85s. Airlift promptly to Moscow front.

On this note, the Germans seem to fancy trying to proceed East through that little river crossing SE of Moscow and, especially, and Voronezh. In summer '43, with the the renewed German offensive, the Tigers, Elephants, and Panthers will once agan try to break through here. Don't let them. Speed build KV-1's to help out. Build minefields SW of Stalingrad, right across from where the German pontoon bridge will appear. Do not --under any circumstances, let them into the Caucasus. Use cavalry to patrol the woods to the north and south of Moscow detect any stray panzers that get through.

Building tank hunters really helps too, until about '43 when you have more industrial strength. These units, when used properly, are cheap yet quite effective.

One of the hidden purposes of the stream of Siberian units, is, IMHO, to stave you over until you can build up more industry.

One industrialized, use the river to rapidly ferry units from Magnitorsk, Perm, Petropavlovsk, and Ufa, to Gorkiyy.

Big hint that helped me: Airfields, when contiguous, count as Railroads!

Hope this helps.