Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I can imagine a couple of wars getting started after those are finished!!
You bet!
Old September 25, 2003, 16:03   #32
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:11
As soon as a civ gets close, I stop building settlers. After I've produced 6 archers & a spearman, I attack. My goal is to weaken a civ. So in 20 turns I can mount a stronger attack, while collecting tribute. I build my culture for a 2nd attack, expecting to go further.
Old September 25, 2003, 16:21   #33
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 02:11
My style of warring has evolved a great deal over the past few months. I used to plan my wars of aggression (as opposed to defensive wars the AI declares on me) fairly late, and at specific points in the tech tree; generally the discovery of Knights (Riders), Cavalry, Infantry, Tanks, and MA.

Although AU208 (all war, all the time) crushed me without mercy, it enlightened me as to the power of the early archer rush and the advantage of nabbing settlers to gain workers. So now I will start my first war once I produced enough archers and spearman to take and hold two or three AI cities.
Old September 25, 2003, 20:17   #34
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 05:11
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
While I agree with both Rhothy and MZ...

I would also say that there is a line not to be crossed here. Unnecessary and untrue bragging about skills, and, even worse, following such by either prevaricating or lying... these are the things that draw ire.

There have been three signficant such occurrences, and I will say that even I have been drawn into the flames.

So: Such posters bring in onto themselves, and I have no problem with that (up to a point).
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 25, 2003, 21:18   #35
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 03:11
Choice 2.

Of course, every game is different ...yada yada. But usually I start killing when I get swordsmen or (my fave) immortals. But I will start a war when I see an undefended city or settler as a rule of thumb.
Old September 25, 2003, 21:46   #36
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
My style of warring has evolved a great deal over the past few months. I used to plan my wars of aggression (as opposed to defensive wars the AI declares on me) fairly late, and at specific points in the tech tree; generally the discovery of Knights (Riders), Cavalry, Infantry, Tanks, and MA.

Although AU208 (all war, all the time) crushed me without mercy, it enlightened me as to the power of the early archer rush and the advantage of nabbing settlers to gain workers. So now I will start my first war once I produced enough archers and spearman to take and hold two or three AI cities.
Tremendous!!

That is what AU is for!!

(not the warmongering, that's just me... But learning!)
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 26, 2003, 00:48   #37
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

I would also say that there is a line not to be crossed here. Unnecessary and untrue bragging about skills, and, even worse, following such by either prevaricating or lying... these are the things that draw ire.
I totally agree with you, and he got what he deserved in those threads. I think he understood quite well that we are not foolish enough to swallow completely ridiciolous boasts.

However this thread I think he's asking an honest question and has gotten very disrespectful replies from some. I suggest people either answer him cordially or do what you did Theseus, and put him in your ignore list.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 26, 2003, 01:06   #38
Tassadar500
Emperor

As Dean of the Apolyton University ( ) I honestly think that we are going to for with fanes here. Yes, he does brag. And he may lie but he just does it onto himself. We proved that he reloads. I have no tolorence for racists remarks here. I know he bugs all of us quite a bit so just put him on your ignore list like me, Theseus and others have done. Really I don't want to make it seem like were some elitists biggots or something. He obviously doesn't believe reloading is cheating. So be it. I disagree but it really doesn't matter. Any more racists comments and I will immediately report it to Ming. One last thing I need to say he knows not what he does
Old September 26, 2003, 03:24   #39
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:11
To put people on ignore is actually something I always considered to be rude. But I stand corrected, it makes sense indeed. And so I just put two posters on my list. fanes7 is not among them. Although where I grew up, boasting and bragging is frowned upon regardless if the skill in question is real or not (so it doesn't really matter to me if he cheated or not), I have nothing against him. Not all he talks about may be achieved the pure virtuous way, but he is a skilled player nevertheless. While I may have made fun of him among others, none of it was meant serious, and if he understood it so, I apologize. But I don't think I crossed any line or made a despicable comment, let alone a racial slur. So in case I was meant by these smartass comments, I challenge those, who try to tar me with this brush, to report my posts now.

By the way, I posted my on-topic answer by telling that I miss the option I would have chosen. Where is your on-topic answer, Master Zen? Or Nuclear Master, for that matter?
Old September 26, 2003, 03:49   #40
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I usually start with a mass swordsman upgrade. However, if the civ is too close to me (or lack iron) I definitely go archer rushing. Howe early? depends. On occasion I've started wars extremely early (think late 3000-2000 BC) but usually in the 1000 BC range.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 26, 2003, 10:59   #41
Tassadar500
Emperor

It really depends for me. I always like to go for a Horseman, Swordsman rush. That's probably my earliest war. But a few times I have done an Archer rush and it was quite fun. All in all it depends what land the AI has and how far away the AI is.
Old September 26, 2003, 13:19   #42
Stuie
King

I find that when I can build cavalry is when I usually start a cycle of never ending wars. Seems like I always want what my neighbor has, be it a luxury or a resource or just a nice city with an ocean view.

But then again, it depends on UUs too. I cannot pass up on using Celtic Warriors. Too much fun rampaging across the map with them.