Old September 24, 2003, 05:40   #1
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 10:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Re-installing from scratch - EU English patch questions
Hi,

I am re-installing the game from scratch.
My version is EU English, for vanilla Civ III and PTW both.

[1] When I only want to run PTW does it matter whether I have the latest vanilla patch installed?
[2] Does the 1.29 vanilla patch for US English also work for EU English and if not, where can I find the latest EU English patch?
[3] Is there a 1.27 PTW patch for EU English that really works now? I read there were a lot of problems, and Firaxis doesn't list this patch at all.

Regards,

Ribannah
Old September 24, 2003, 08:07   #2
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I would suggest you install Civ3 and patch to 1.29. There is only one version of Civ3 and one patch. (strictly you don't need to do this but if you want to play safe it is probably worth it).

Then install PTW and patch. There have been reports of problems with the 1.27 patch although I have not experienced any trouble myself. I got my copy from the infogrames.co.uk site.

Good luck!
Old September 24, 2003, 08:13   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Patching vanilla Civ3 to 1.29f before installing PtW can't hurt, but AFAIK is not necessary, since the PtW installation patches it to 1.29f anyway.
Old September 24, 2003, 09:07   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 11:12
If you don't patch to 1.29 you won't be able to run vanilla Civ3 after installing PTW (It patches to 1.29, but some how misses a few parts and makes the vanilla version unplayable. (I don't remember if it was copyprotection related or some supportfiles missing or invalid, but I know it didn't start))
Old September 26, 2003, 08:19   #5
Ribannah
Queen

OK, installed vanilla 1.29 and then PTW US 1.27, and

IT DOES NOT WORK.

That is, it seems to, and it works for a while, but at some point first the animations and screens slow down to hick-ups, and then functions and texts begin to disappear (can't even save the game anymore).

So that's it for me. I may be back when Civ 4 arrives.
Old September 26, 2003, 08:40   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Strange. I never had the slightest problems with installing and running the game. And I doubt that the game has a timer in it or so, to disfunction after a while. What definitely is a possible reason is, that your graphics card or its driver are bad. Something like a memory leak in the driver or so. That would lead to a slow down after a while.
Old September 26, 2003, 08:54   #7
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Don't give up so easily. It woks for others, it should work for you, too.

I never had functionality problems with civ3 nor with PtW.
--Woody Allen
Old September 26, 2003, 09:09   #8
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Try to reinstall DiretX
Old September 26, 2003, 13:41   #9
Ribannah
Queen

Guys, the EU English PTW 1.21 patch works fine, so it can't be anything like that. The US English 1.27 patch is simply not compatible with the UK version of Civ3/PTW.

Last edited by Ribannah; September 26, 2003 at 13:47.
Old September 26, 2003, 14:43   #10
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

The US patch applied to the UK/EU PTW doesn't even start (been there, done that!). If it is running then you have an EU patch of some sort.

You aren't losing that much if you can only patch to 1.21 anyway. There is a way of combining the US patch with any of the language specific patches although I can't remember quite how. If someone can remember then you could try that.
Old September 26, 2003, 15:59   #11
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

i think the UK 1.27 patch has been released.
Old September 26, 2003, 16:09   #12
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

It has Im using it, I downloaded it from the civ3 uk page
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old September 26, 2003, 17:01   #13
Ribannah
Queen

I think that's where I got mine. But when you go to 'properties', it reads 'US patch'.
Old September 26, 2003, 17:16   #14
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Well it works fine with my copy of PTW which is definitely the UK version, perhaps you should take another look at the site to check you have the right patch version.

EDIT Ribannah I just checked the civ3 news page here on poly and this site has the UK 1.27 patch available, If you click on patch centre it lists all other localised versions of the patch then in the next section on its own is the UK version the one you want. Its about the fifth item in the list, but if you look at the first one in the first section it says US english version which sounds like the one you have now. Anyway if you DL the UK english version you should be OK hope this helps
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; September 26, 2003 at 17:22.
Old September 26, 2003, 17:27   #15
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Im sorry because I think I said I got it from Civ3.com, I was mistaken it was from Atari from the link on this site in the patch centre on the civ3 page. Id forgotten about that and I hope I did not mislead you.

Its definitely available here on the civ3 page in the Patch Centre, its the sixth item with a link to Atari or Apolyton's own mirror.
Old September 26, 2003, 18:32   #16
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Ribannah, Cerberus is right. Even if you don't succeed in installing the 1.27 patch, you aren't losing too much. Actually I didn't notice any difference when I moved from 1.21 to 1.27. Even better, the saves are compatible. I played several PBEM turns with 1.21, while others had upgraded already, and we had zero problems.
--Woody Allen
Old September 27, 2003, 06:48   #17
Ribannah
Queen

Most comparison competitions do require or will soon require that you have PTW 1.27. Also, it seems that there have been some changes in diplomacy regarding alliances, making it a little easier to the human in 1.27. (And your animated Paratroopers will survive the drop in 1.27, too.)

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
Ribannah I just checked the civ3 news page here on poly and this site has the UK 1.27 patch available,
I know that's what it says, but it is really just a copy of the US version.

Last edited by Ribannah; September 27, 2003 at 06:58.