Old May 6, 2001, 15:15   #1
SilverDragon

Rotflmao!!!
I just played the 2019 challenge. (Can't attack the ai's till 2019 and you have to get the AI's before 2020.) I decided to do something even funnier. I got all the AI cities connected by RR, mostly because I gave them rr in 1300, but also because I had some engineers help the slower ones. By 2019 I amassed a huge # of spies. Then, I struck!!! First I had spies go suitcase nuke every city, including one that was on an island. (I had 8 spies there on a ship, to make sure I got it, and I had about 4 spies for every ai city just to make sure I got them.) Then I disbanded every unit I had, except for 1 mech infantry, 3 transports, 1 diplo I had been saving for hundreds of years, and 1 spy. Then I brought the spy, the diplo and the mech inf. along the railroads, bribing every partisan in my way and then disbanding them once I got them. I conquered everything but the last island city, which I ship-chained the diplo to. I disbanded the spy, the ships and the mech inf, making the diplo the only unit left in the world. Then I bribed the last city, and since diplos disappear when they bribe a city, there were no units left in the world!! I ROTFLMAO after that, because not only were there no units left, I also conquered every city but one with the same unit.

Edit: And it was funny that 1 unit conquered the whole continent in one turn.
[This message has been edited by SilverDragon (edited May 06, 2001).]

Old May 6, 2001, 17:11   #2
Thranduil
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
you complete weirdo...
Old May 7, 2001, 15:15   #3
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

Hey, every attempt to create a new challenge is going to get snatched up if it's interesting. The only problem with this one is that the challenge itself doesn't take very long, you just need a save file to get there.
Old May 7, 2001, 21:51   #4
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:59
Nice work, Silverdragon. That's setting them up and knocking them down, the way you like it!

in civ1, you could unload a settler on the ocean and build RR on ocean, which worked if you had transports there for units to step on...

I'm thinking of that other guys method, massive fundamentalist army buildup, give all your enemies RR, and watch the hordes descend...

I personally like to give them all RR, then send my spies out to buy NONE engineers en masse, got to watch my step when it's not yet built up, though.
Old May 7, 2001, 21:53   #5
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:59
Wait a minute, did you say suitcase nuke EVERY enemy city?. doesn't that play hob with your pollution score?
Old May 8, 2001, 01:04   #6
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:59
Who cares about the score. It's all about brutalizing the other civs.
Old May 8, 2001, 22:19   #7
SilverDragon

quote:

Originally posted by Father Beast on 05-07-2001 09:53 PM
did you say suitcase nuke EVERY enemy city?

Yep!

Old May 10, 2001, 18:22   #8
Mixam
Warlord

Congrats SD, I haven't had a laugh that good since... Hell I dunno when. I can't believe you suitcase nuked em all! I know I couldn't do this I always overlook one thing and end up spending 2 turns taking an enemy over instead of one.

------------------
"I know not how I may seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with"
Plato
Old May 11, 2001, 11:46   #9
East Street Trader
Prince

As one who has only suitcase nuked once I am led to wonder what the average number of dips/spies required may be. I did it with dips and lost one (from memory) with a message saying he had been caught before doing the deed. Presumably spies have a higher strike rate and vet spies higher again. What was your average?

(Hey, I'm a sad case asking a seriousish sort of question in face of this splendid grotesquery - but, then, why not!)
Old May 11, 2001, 14:25   #10
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

EST - I do hate to sound like SlowThinker, but you should check, "Info: Diplomats and Spies" - all you will ever want to know about the little buggars courtesy of the War Museums of Albi and Praha ...

------------------
Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

Edit - to include the URL
"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library has been built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited May 11, 2001).]
Old May 17, 2001, 14:37   #11
jake03
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Father Beast on 05-07-2001 09:53 PM
Wait a minute, did you say suitcase nuke EVERY enemy city?. doesn't that play hob with your pollution score?

The score would be factored (whole buncha dead poeple+lost a broken stuff*amount of time you get to enjoy the clouds)