Old September 24, 2003, 11:20   #1
AMD4EVER
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The sound is driving me insane!
I've been playing SMAC for probably 2 years now and just yesterday I finally got a copy of SMAX. I install the program and find out right away that there are things I don't like about it especially that fact that the program crashes everytime I try to make a former for the alien teams. But that I can work around. What is really pissing me off is that sound the plays everytime I had either of the arrows inside the base window that allow me to scroll through the different bases I have. That sound did not play in SMAC when I hit the arrows and I hit those arrows a lot so this is really annoying me. Is there anyway to make it stop playing that noise other than removing the sound file from the game directory? Also the sound played when new units are created are very, very quiet. I like to know when a garrison I just made is completed by hearing that breathing sound!! Everything else in the game seems to be at normal volume except for that. Is this supposed to be the case or is there something wrong with my game?
Old September 24, 2003, 14:41   #2
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 04:13
Re: The sound is driving me insane!
Quote:
Originally posted by AMD4EVER
I've been playing SMAC for probably 2 years now and just yesterday I finally got a copy of SMAX. I install the program and find out right away that there are things I don't like about it especially that fact that the program crashes everytime I try to make a former for the alien teams. But that I can work around. What is really pissing me off is that sound the plays everytime I had either of the arrows inside the base window that allow me to scroll through the different bases I have. That sound did not play in SMAC when I hit the arrows and I hit those arrows a lot so this is really annoying me. Is there anyway to make it stop playing that noise other than removing the sound file from the game directory? Also the sound played when new units are created are very, very quiet. I like to know when a garrison I just made is completed by hearing that breathing sound!! Everything else in the game seems to be at normal volume except for that. Is this supposed to be the case or is there something wrong with my game?

Where did you get the copy of SMAX?

Do they have any more?

Mead
Old September 24, 2003, 15:46   #3
AMD4EVER
Chieftain

I just bought it from someone off EBay. I know Amazon.com has a few of them up for bids right now, two of them are planetary packs for $70.
Old September 24, 2003, 15:52   #4
Minute Mirage
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 11:13
Quote:
Originally posted by AMD4EVER
I just bought it from someone off EBay. I know Amazon.com has a few of them up for bids right now, two of them are planetary packs for $70.
70 BUCKS!!?? Ouch!

It seems I was really lucky to get a used Planetary Pack for something like 7-8 €.
Old September 24, 2003, 19:31   #5
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 10:13
Ouch indeed. Welcome to Smax. I think/hope you will get an answer to your problem.
If no-one responds, have a look at the earlier threads in this forum.
Old September 25, 2003, 05:50   #6
Pandir
Chieftain

I never had the former causing a crash problem I assume you patched when you installed the game?
Old September 26, 2003, 11:04   #7
AMD4EVER
Chieftain

Yeah it is patched. The crash is no big deal since I can work around it. What happens is when I go into the workshop for the Userpers or the Caretakers and make a new former and apply it, then the armor rating and special features for that former all turn to "yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy". After I exit the workshop after that it crashes. It only seems to happen when I make an infantry chassis for the former so all I have to do is use the rover chassis.