Old September 24, 2003, 18:46   #1
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 04:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Catholic boycott
http://www.canada.com/search/story.a...e-a83ce2644dfe

Vancouver's Catholic archdiocese has cancelled a long-standing partnership with VanCity Credit Union because the financial institution actively supports the city's gay and lesbian community.

Archbishop Adam Exner ended a VanCity program operating in four Catholic schools after the giant credit union launched an ad campaign featuring two men sitting cheek-to-cheek, saying, "I want to bank with people who value all partnerships."

Accusing VanCity of engaging in an "objectionable cause," Exner said the credit union's pro-homosexual advertising campaigns and sponsorships display public support for "agendas which are worrisome and harmful to the church and to society."

The archdiocese, as a result, this month forbade four of its Catholic schools to continue to take part in VanCity's in-school junior banking program, which teaches students how to save and invest their money, run a business and develop mathematical and leadership skills.

One of the Catholic elementary schools, St. Helen's in Burnaby, had been active in the VanCity program for seven years. In that time, VanCity official Sara Holland said 600 students had saved their allowances and earnings and together deposited more than $250,000 in the junior banking program.

Exner, who has a PhD in moral theology, acknowledged that VanCity's youth banking programs are a "significant good" because they teach financial responsibility to children.

Exner nevertheless wrote in a four-page philosophy-laden letter to the four Catholic schools that "a good effect must not be produced by the bad effect" of cooperating with an organization that promotes homosexual relationships.

"We're certainly disappointed," said Doug Mowat, chief executive officer of VanCity, the largest credit union in Canada with 250,000 members.

"But it's up to the Catholic church to make its own decision. We are trying to make our services available to everyone out there. We're trying to reduce barriers. But there's always someone who will have a different viewpoint."

Many parents at the four Catholic schools have asked VanCity if they could continue operating the program out of their local VanCity branch, Mowat said Tuesday. "The parents see the thrill the kids get out of the program."

While Exner said he joined the archdiocese's advisers in deciding to ban the junior banking program because of complaints from Catholic parents, other parents at the schools have said they want the program to continue.

The junior banking program was operating until this September at four Catholic schools: St. Helen's, Notre Dame secondary elementary school in east Vancouver, Our Lady of Good Counsel elementary in Surrey and St. Francis elementary in east Vancouver.

The junior banking program, which helps students operate their own part-time credit union during lunch hours, also runs in five other schools, both independent and public, in Greater Vancouver and the Lower Fraser Valley.

Paul Schratz, spokesman for the archdiocese, said the Catholic hierarchy had to "draw the line" after VanCity began coming out strongly in support of homosexual relationships.

Schratz noted that VanCity helped sponsor a homosexual film festival, gave an Ethics in Action award to Little Sisters lesbian bookstore and last year launched what VanCity called a "groundbreaking" effort to "become the first company in Canada" to publicly support the homosexual community.

VanCity's efforts on behalf of gays and lesbians go back to at least 1998. That's when it began a variety of programs to stop discrimination against homosexual employees, end harassment based on sexual orientation and provide benefits to same-sex partners.

"There is often no black and white way to deal with some of these issues," Schratz said, explaining Exner's decision to target the junior banking program.

"Different people will reach different conclusions using the same moral principles. But a line has to be drawn somewhere, and I think this policy probably does a fair job of balancing those competing concerns."

Asked why the archdiocese didn't forbid Catholic school children from also accepting student scholarships and bursaries from VanCity, Schratz said those benefits come from local VanCity branches, which don't set the corporation's pro-homosexual agenda

In his four-page letter to the Catholic schools, the archbishop said the ban against VanCity's junior banking program is in line with an earlier decision by the archdiocese to refuse funding from the United Way. The giant charity supports Planned Parenthood, an organization that advocates artificial contraception and choice on abortion, which are adamantly opposed by Catholic authorities.

"To be consistent," Exner said, "how can the archdiocese now tolerate cooperation with an organization [the United Way] that by policy supports an agenda seriously in conflict with the teaching of the church?"

So what do you think? Will these boycotts be effective, or will they backfire? Should other churches also support the Catholics in their boycotts?

What about the congregations? If the church will not associate, what will the members do?
Old September 24, 2003, 18:56   #2
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 02:14
Here's an idea: boycott in a way that DOESN'T harm the children.

Quote:
The archdiocese, as a result, this month forbade four of its Catholic schools to continue to take part in VanCity's in-school junior banking program, which teaches students how to save and invest their money, run a business and develop mathematical and leadership skills.
Methinks their education in financial matters are more important AND pertinent to them. I doubt the children are even much aware of the controversy...at least until the adults around them start foaming at the mouth on both sides.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old September 24, 2003, 18:57   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Hell, I've been boycotting the Roman Catholic Church since 1981 because of the church's Anti-Homosexual stance.

On a sidenote, I was raised Roman Catholic, went to a Catholic school, and was even an Alterboy for a time...but once I was old enough to make my own choices, I turned away from them. I believe it has been the best choice I ever made.

But back to the subject at hand, the Roman Catholic church can try and throw its weight around by boycotting the credit union, but I really doubt that it will change the credit union's policy. Good for VanCity Credit Union I say!
Old September 24, 2003, 18:58   #4
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:14
0.1/10

Find another tune, obiwan, you're starting to sound like a broken record. Is another religion.vs.gays thread really necessary?
Old September 24, 2003, 19:03   #5
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:14
Hey Obiwan. It looks like my initial prediction that the Protestant Episcopal Church would weather the election of a gay bishop may have been pre-mature. There is growing talk of rebellion among the ranks. Happy?
Old September 24, 2003, 19:09   #6
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 03:14
Is it really necessary to get views to feature the words "Catholic", "boy", and "cot" all in the same title?

Seriously though their anti-gay stance is
Old September 24, 2003, 19:11   #7
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

While I obviously don't agree with the church's stance, I do support their right to boycott a company they don't agree with. Will this hurt said company? Not in the least. Most people are middle-of-the-road politically and religiously (the more extreme views are louder, that's why we hear them more often) and so many people either don't care enough about an issue to take a side, choosing instead to continue with their own business, or they actually detest boycotts, viewing them as little more than childish tantrums. Anyone remember the Southern Baptists and their boycott of Disney...how much did that (or rather "does that" - still ongoing I believe) hurt their bottom line or better still image?

Not much.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old September 24, 2003, 19:19   #8
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

I can't say I understand His Excellency's decision in this regard. There is certainly nothing in Catholic teaching prohibiting associating with people who disagree with you. How is this move going to stop their support of homosexual unions in any way?

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old September 24, 2003, 19:51   #9
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Find another tune, obiwan, you're starting to sound like a broken record. Is another religion.vs.gays thread really necessary?
No one's forcing you to post in the thread.

Quote:
I can't say I understand His Excellency's decision in this regard. There is certainly nothing in Catholic teaching prohibiting associating with people who disagree with you.
Good point. Christians are still supposed to be in the world, even though they are not of the world. How can they strike a balance between integrity and compassion?
Old September 24, 2003, 20:40   #10
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Yay for these particular Catholics being anal and stuck up. It's about time someone stood up for good old fashioned values like intolerance and cutting off your hand to spite your thumb.
Old September 24, 2003, 20:48   #11
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Sigh.
Old September 24, 2003, 21:33   #12
MrFun
Emperor

Re: Catholic boycott
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Vancouver's Catholic archdiocese has cancelled a long-standing partnership with VanCity Credit Union because the financial institution actively supports the city's gay and lesbian community.
In the past three days now, it seems you have been stuck in a rut . . .

I'm just grateful that this decision by the fundies will not have any significant impact.
Old September 24, 2003, 22:57   #13
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
In the past three days now, it seems you have been stuck in a rut . . .
It's been a big deal for the last few weeks, especially here in Canada with the two votes. There is lots of stuff that I have refrained from posting, that I have recieved from friends, etc.

The (2) threads that I posted seemed the most pertinent, and worthy of discussion.

Granted I don't start that many threads, but then again, most stuff doesn't have Canada front and centre on the world stage.
Old September 24, 2003, 23:03   #14
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 19:14
You've never struck me as overtly bigoted (at least not in comparison to some of the red-faced unicellular brained religious types I've met) but I can't help feeling you're getting typecast by your own posts, dearheart.

How about something else pertinent and Canadian- the next Winter Olympics, old growth forest logging, excellent Dutch pancakes with Log Cabin maple syrup, Hudson's Bay blankets...? Anything that doesn't involve gays, lesbians and religion.

Failing that, start investigating quietism.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old September 24, 2003, 23:06   #15
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

It's been a big deal for the last few weeks, especially here in Canada with the two votes. There is lots of stuff that I have refrained from posting, that I have recieved from friends, etc.

The (2) threads that I posted seemed the most pertinent, and worthy of discussion.

Granted I don't start that many threads, but then again, most stuff doesn't have Canada front and centre on the world stage.
Yeah -- and now I know why you and Park Avenue would go so well together . . .
Old September 24, 2003, 23:29   #16
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Well, Hockey will be starting in a few weeks.

Someone needs to start the thread.

Mr. Fun, the one I posted today made the front page of the news.

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; September 24, 2003 at 23:38.
Old September 24, 2003, 23:30   #17
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

taliban
Old September 24, 2003, 23:38   #18
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:14
I've boycotted the Roman Catholic Church for years because of their, "our priests rape little boys but that's no big deal!" stance for years.

Mis Novias
Old September 25, 2003, 00:36   #19
cinch
Warlord

Quote:
Well, Hockey will be starting in a few weeks.

Someone needs to start the thread.
I keep trying, but they just keep dying!

Come ON, people, it's the preseason already! Aren't you all just a-quivering?

LET'S GO OILERS, LET'S GO!

I can't WAIT for the Heritage Classic!
Old September 25, 2003, 00:40   #20
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
I've boycotted the Roman Catholic Church for years because of their, "our priests rape little boys but that's no big deal!" stance for years.
If you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't say anything at all.

Old September 25, 2003, 00:41   #21
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:14
How about this:

F UCK YOU

Mis Novias
Old September 25, 2003, 00:59   #22
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

I will be praying for you, Ted.

Old September 25, 2003, 01:04   #23
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

So is Ben boycotting Catholics?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 25, 2003, 02:17   #24
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Good ol' Catholics.
Old September 25, 2003, 03:21   #25
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:14
Bless their cotton socks!
Old September 25, 2003, 03:56   #26
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
So is Ben boycotting Catholics?
Including or not including my girlfriend?
Old September 25, 2003, 04:02   #27
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Will she cut off your d*ck if you use a condom?
Old September 25, 2003, 09:59   #28
MrFun
Emperor

The smell of hypocrisy within some of the Catholic clergy is overwhelmingly repugnant.
Old September 25, 2003, 10:05   #29
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Is it worse than the smell of KY in the public toilets around here?
Old September 25, 2003, 10:07   #30
MrFun
Emperor

I'm not implying that homosexuals have no internal problems of their own.