Old September 24, 2003, 20:26   #1
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 05:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Wow... I just started my first "new game" in how long?
Between AU, MZOBC, the DGs, and what not... I realized I hadn't started a random new game, just for fun, in... 6 months, maybe?

Gotta try Sipahi, so:

(I forgot how much fun just picking settings is! )

Emperor, random opponents, standard, warm, wet, 3B, continents with min water, restless. All vic conditions.

This will be my "f*ck around game" while we play AUSG101. BTW, do we want to also play a regular AU game any time soon?

Wish me luck!!! (like it's really needed with IND and friggin' 8a Cavs ).
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 24, 2003, 20:37   #2
fanes7
Warlord

Local Time: 09:14
Theseus , you really can try some deity game , trust me , you can beat it .
Old September 24, 2003, 21:04   #3
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

fanes7, I do not see your posts.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old September 24, 2003, 21:11   #4
Theseus
Emperor

Friggin' map generator!!!

My capitol, Istanbul, is on the hill 47 from the incense in the eastern peninsula...

And I just traded for The Wheel.

This is like an AU game alexman or Dominae would dream up!! Zulus to the west, and Persians to the northwest... gimme a break!

[sidenote: I've got camps built at Istanbul 63 and 99... and excellent way to put roads on hills, even when IND]
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	otto 2030bc.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	53906  

Old September 24, 2003, 21:55   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:14
OMG! What an interesting map that would be if Mountains were Impassable!

(That's the only way I play now. I don't know what I'll do with C3C!)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 25, 2003, 01:33   #6
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Can you secure the chokepoints?

It does look like an interesting map. Have fun!

Dominae
Old September 25, 2003, 07:13   #7
Thrar
Warlord

Nice map you have there!
Lots of room to expand in your backyard, maybe a camp at 44 from Istanbul along with a couple of warriors to secure it? And a city between the gems and incense, if you can hold it?

How did you manage to explore such a large part of the map in only a couple more than 40 turns? Ottomans are not expansionist, are they?
Old September 25, 2003, 07:28   #8
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:14
What is MZOBC?
Old September 25, 2003, 07:31   #9
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:14
Master Zen Online - Boot Camp
Old September 25, 2003, 07:38   #10
Theseus
Emperor

@Thrar: SCI and IND... there's nothing to build right off!! So I built Warriors, 9 of'em.

Anybody notice what is MISSING??!!

Old September 25, 2003, 07:47   #11
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:14
Iron, I guess.
Old September 25, 2003, 08:15   #12
Dr. A. Cula
Warlord

Local Time: 12:14
Nice start, I think. IIRC from my last Ottoman game, you start with Bornze Working, so get a city by the sea.

And it looks like you'll have a hard time putting people on horses, when there doesn't appear to be any around. It's a shame, really, I recently noticed Sipahis are much better against Infantry than plain Cavalry (or maybe it was just the rng).
Old September 25, 2003, 08:19   #13
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

No horsie for you! You come back, next game!

I too started a new game last night (stupidly, at 9:30... what the hell was I thinking? Oh, I'll just play for a 1/2 hour. Yeah). Rome again... I just like 'em. Wanted to investigate RCP some more (even though it's going bye-bye) with closer spacing than normal (for me). Ring #1 was at 3.5 tiles. Feels cramped. Is cramped. But it works.

Grog helped, though. Having the Pyramids by the time I had 4 cities was priceless. My map is rather "interesting" too. One small river in my domain. Some lakes, thank the RNG. Got a horsie, but no iron anywhere near my start. Only by fighting through 2 AIs have I gotten it. But now it's on. My attack stack is poised on the border with AI empire #3: 20 legionaries, 2 pikes, 1 2x archer army, 1 archer, ~6 horsemen.

The potential problem I see with the tight spacing is building the big medieval/industrial wonders. It's tough to get a monster production city when each town gets 8 or so land tiles to work.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 25, 2003, 21:53   #14
Theseus
Emperor

I just found my first accessable horses...

28 TILES FROM ISTANBUL!!

Old September 25, 2003, 22:45   #15
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I just found my first accessable horses...

28 TILES FROM ISTANBUL!!
Are you SURE Dominae didn't design your scenario?
Old September 25, 2003, 22:59   #16
Dominae
Emperor

If I had designed the scenario, I would have put mostly Plains in the southeastern portion of the continent. Notice how the fresh water is conveniently unacessible in that area!? Heh-heh.

Seriously, though: I hope my reputation does not precede me in this. If players do not participate in AU due to fear my maps, I'll never get to design another scenario again!

Dominae
Old September 25, 2003, 23:03   #17
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
If I had designed the scenario, I would have put mostly Plains in the southeastern portion of the continent. Notice how the fresh water is conveniently unacessible in that area!? Heh-heh.

Seriously, though: I hope my reputation does not precede me in this. If players do not participate in AU due to fear my maps, I'll never get to design another scenario again!

Dominae
We like your maps Dom, they're just sometimes evil. I think it will be a while before I can design "evil" scenarios.

BTW, I'm currently replaying AU209 with a slight change of tactics (still on emperor, but correcting the error I made the first time in letting the Ottoman's live) and this time I'm doing much better. Once I'm sure I'm close to winning I'll post about it. I hate posting a few DARs and then losing the game like in my first try.
Old September 26, 2003, 03:28   #18
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Theseus,
Do you mind posting your 4000BC save on my thread 'Emperor games: how to improve your skills' and join us for some discussion about startegies and tactics?

It just happens that I finished my latest Emperor game yesterday (Scandinavia, but never build any Berserker!) and playing just 30 turns this week-end on AUSG seems a bit light...
Old September 26, 2003, 11:15   #19
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by fanes7
Theseus , you really can try some deity game , trust me , you can beat it .
Many people have beat Deity, but do no enjoy play at that level. It is about having some fun for me. Since I have to often put up with abuse for the first two ages, I do not find it fun. Yes it is satisfying when you finally pull ahead, but Ihad to eat too much dirt.
I find Emp a better fit. I suspect that Theseus feel some what the same.
Old September 26, 2003, 14:25   #20
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1

Many people have beat Deity, but do no enjoy play at that level. It is about having some fun for me. Since I have to often put up with abuse for the first two ages, I do not find it fun. Yes it is satisfying when you finally pull ahead, but Ihad to eat too much dirt.
I find Emp a better fit. I suspect that Theseus feel some what the same.
Agreed! It is a different gaming experience.
Old September 26, 2003, 15:33   #21
Theseus
Emperor

Yep, I am an Emperor player just about all the time.

MS, I'll post the save tonight.

I've been thinking about this game all day... it might call for the mother of all Warrior to MedInf upgrades!! I'm thinking 50-60, or possibly even more.

Old September 26, 2003, 15:45   #22
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Yep, I am an Emperor player just about all the time.

MS, I'll post the save tonight.

I've been thinking about this game all day... it might call for the mother of all Warrior to MedInf upgrades!! I'm thinking 50-60, or possibly even more.
Yep me too! I haven't even TRIED deity yet since I only win on emperor about half the time (roughly).

Regarding your question the other day about starting another AU game while AUSG101 is going on it sounds good to me. AUSG101 is by design spread out. Another standard rule AU game can "fill in the gaps" so to speak. How about we hear from the rest of the AU world too. If Dominae or someone else does not want to design it I can try, but keep in mind I'm still not too great at scenario design yet (as evidenced by the ease of the start of AUSG101 )

But if I don't design it I need to finish beating my retry of AU209 first before playing it.
Old September 26, 2003, 16:13   #23
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Theseus,

I played a game (Monarch, Zulu) where I upgraded something like 40 warriors straight to med infs. I was the Zulu, and due to an early settler, an early granary in Zimbabwe, and an early worker-grab-and-pillage-tiles-by-the-capitol hit on my nearest neighbor, my REX stage lasted into the middle ages. I also didn't have any horses (closest was at the far end of the continent, right next to somebody's capitol). I was first to feudalism My med infs rolled right over all opposition. It was a little silly. I still like horsies better, though.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 26, 2003, 16:18   #24
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Once I get a little farther into my retry of AU209 I'll post about my own TWO massive upgrades of warriors to med-infs. I generally prefer the horses to knights upgrade too, but it just wasn't workable in this game. For now, I'll just say Ottos and Carthage are toast and the only reason the Japanese aren't is they had too many samurai and musketeers by the time I finished with the other two. No Cossacks in this game so I'm just waiting for infantry and tanks to finish my continent steamrolling.
Old September 26, 2003, 16:50   #25
Theseus
Emperor

Hmmm... I guess I should start pre-building Leo's.

100 MedInf?

MWAHAHAHA!!!

Old September 26, 2003, 16:53   #26
Dominae
Emperor

Rhoth, start a new threat to get some ideas as to what the next AU course should be about. I've a few ideas of my own. I would like to play the game this time, so you might have to design the scenario. I'll PM you with some tips.

Dominae
Old September 26, 2003, 17:02   #27
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
Hmmm... I guess I should start pre-building Leo's.

100 MedInf?

MWAHAHAHA!!!

With Leo's it would be 30 gold per, right?

So that's 3000 gold, Theseus. I've spent close to that on horsie -> knight upgrades, but for slowmovers that upgrade to guerillas? Yikes. But ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

No chance at a targetting strike? I know they're far away, but maybe with some galleys & swordsmen (or med infs)? Or are the horses deep in an AI civ's core?

-Arrian

Old September 26, 2003, 21:04   #28
Theseus
Emperor

Screw targeting strikes.... I am in the mood for an early Medieval Soviet response.

/me imagines MedInfs goosestepping into Zululand and Persia. "Eeeeyes-right!! Saa-lute!!" I award myself the Hero of the Thesian Union.

Economy be damned!! Divert all gold to the military!!

(This is my screw-around game, after all. )

Old September 29, 2003, 23:14   #29
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:14
6 months? Hmm... I probably haven't played a game "for fun" in more than that (around jan/feb). Well I've probably started 1 or 2 but never gotten past the ancient age.

/me longs for the day he has nothing to do, sits in front of the PC at 10am and plays until 10pm...

(btw, Thesues, might want to check the ISDG...)

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 30, 2003, 16:38   #30
Arrian
Deity

I start new games fairly often. I just don't finish them all.

I started one yesterday. Rome again. Started on a relatively small island. But, via a combination of excellent luck and knowing how huts work, I got TWO settlers from huts. I'm not sure that's happened to me since PTW came out. That really helped my early expansion.

Two other continents were within galley range, and one of them had room to spare. So I colonized part of it. I also got into several wars (2 of which I started, 1 I didn't), and was able to generate a few leaders, so my position is now excellent (FP down, relatively optimal, Leos & Sun Tzu rushed, Sistine built). The only problem with my lands near the FP is that it's all jungle, so cutting it down is rather slow going. My FP city and the one next to it are 2-turn worker pumps right now.

My GA, unfortunately, didn't do much for the FP area, because the cities down there were still quite small and choked with jungle.

Militaristic can be a real godsend on island maps, by the way. Half-price harbors are nothing to sneeze at when you need them to bring in more than 1 luxury (not to mention the iron I had to go find... I started with none).

-Arrian