Old September 25, 2003, 12:12   #1
tourian
Settler

Local Time: 09:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
HELP! AI is a hippie!
I posted this in the Help-forum but didn't find a cure. So if anyone has the slightest clue why this is happening, please help, cause this is REALLY killing the fun for me. Here goes:

I'm having a problem with overly passive AI: it won't wage war unless I bribe it to. Every game I play, regardless of how I play, the AI NEVER starts a war with me or any other civ unless I bribe it with huge amounts of gold and tech. And even if it does start, it always smokes the peace pipe after a few turns.

It's the same in every difficulty level. I'm sure it has nothing to do with me, since it happens whether I play as a warmonger or a peaceful builder. I realize this is a unique problem as I've never seen anyone mention it, and it probably DOES have something to do with me, but please, if anyone knows anything about the reasons behind AIs warring, share! Thanks.
Old September 25, 2003, 12:31   #2
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 03:16
My first impression is that you must be dealing with AIs that are very weak. If the problem is they won't attack you, you must be succesful at REXing (rapid early expansion) and putting them in a situation where they know their militaries are far inferior.

If the problem is they won't sign a military alliance with you against a third party, well the AIs usually want bribes to do that (unless they're already at war with the victim). My advice is not to bribe them with up front deals, lump sum gold or techs; pay them per turn with gold, resources or luxuries.
Old September 25, 2003, 12:34   #3
Gwylim
Chieftain

hello tourian, i think it HAS to do with how you play.
From my experience the AI is not declaring War on you if you are too strong.
My strategy is normally to expand as far as possible and when the borders are set i wait a little longer to have the basic developements in the core-cities and then the first war starts normally.
Some times my millitary is not too strong because i liked more to built granaries, temples,... and in this cases much times some civ at my border (but sometimes a civ far away) declared war on me.
When my military is stronger i had to declare war normally.
Also i think it depends a lot on your trading. Do you trade luxuries? Gold per Turn Trades?
hope this helps (by the way: How much games did you played? Your problem really looks unprobably if you played at least 20 Games. but with less then 20 Games you had only bad luck perhaps...)
also: i didnt saw much difference between the AI declaring war on me or me declaring war on the AI. only in the later game when you have democracy it is more important i think.
Anyway, in my opinion the diplomacy is not very good because the other Civs get bad on you very easy if you are not looking for them very much, making small buisness with them, and for me this is too much work which has no challenge and so no fun.
Old September 25, 2003, 12:56   #4
Gwylim
Chieftain

you should have a look at his:-)

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=97778
Old September 25, 2003, 15:39   #5
tourian
Settler

Thanks for your replys. Just one more thing:

Is it normal for the AI to trade every single tech they research with eachother, leaving me 4-5 techs behind until I by some miracle get the Great Library? They must be trading, because all of them have exactly the same techs that I'm lacking and my empire is roughly the same size as theirs AND I'm keeping my science meter as high as possible?
Old September 25, 2003, 16:10   #6
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 10:16
The AI is well known for being a tech whore. If you cant beat them join them I say.
Old September 25, 2003, 16:12   #7
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Local Time: 04:16
Yes, they trade like crazy, Monarch level and above. Maybe in Regent also.

If I don't build the G.L., I tend to end the game, right there.

You must trade with them and by the Modern Age, you will be fine.
Old September 25, 2003, 16:15   #8
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Snotty
If you cant beat them join them I say.
And if you can't join them. KILL THEM!!!
Old September 25, 2003, 17:18   #9
Japher
Emperor

Yeah. I generally pick my friends early in the game and trade only with them while insulting the other AIs. As long as I keep one or two AIs happy and we work to become strong together they will soon enough start attacking other civs without my provoction...

I am good at starting world wars, and have had other nations start them without my aide...
Old September 25, 2003, 17:48   #10
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher

I am good at starting world wars
Yeah, like that's anything special.

Old September 26, 2003, 06:03   #11
jordie
PtWDG Lux InvictaCivilization III MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 19:16
You need other nations to be powerful, if you and someone else take out a nation and divide the booty than he will most likely become more powerful than other civs and will start taking them on.
Old September 27, 2003, 09:35   #12
spy14
Prince

The AI civs are more pacifist at the lower skill levels which might be causing the problem in the original question, up the difficulty to at least monarch to get them to be more aggressive.