View Poll Results: Best D&D PC game ever?
Pool of Radiance (gold box, not the newer one) 1 4.35%
Curse of the Azure Bonds 0 0%
Secret of the Silver Swords 0 0%
Pools of Darkness 0 0%
Champions of Krynn 1 4.35%
Deathknights of Krynn 1 4.35%
Neverwinter Nights (Old DOS game) 0 0%
Baldur's Gate (+TotSC) 1 4.35%
Baldur's Gate 2 (+ToB) 9 39.13%
Icewind Dale (+HoW) 1 4.35%
Icewind Dale 2 0 0%
Pool of Radiance 2 (the newer one) 0 0%
Neverwinter Nights 3 13.04%
the Temple of Elemental Evil 1 4.35%
You forgot MY favorite, Jamski (write in) 5 21.74%
Banana Option 3.5 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 25, 2003, 13:15   #1
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 09:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What's the best PC D&D game ever?
Well, a lot of people are talking D&D games at the moment, and I felt like making a poll. I hope I didn't miss any. Post your reasons too (and mention the worst one as well if you like)

I apologise if I got any of the English titles wrong

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old September 25, 2003, 13:38   #2
Jac de Molay
Prince

I'm not familiar with all these titles but voted for Icewind Dale.

Creating an entire party from scratch was great, lots of hack and slash, and the adherence to ADandD rules (especially spellcasting) was fantastic.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old September 25, 2003, 13:40   #3
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 11:16
It is of course Daggerfall

Asmodean
Old September 25, 2003, 13:42   #4
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I haven't played any of these. The last DnD games I bought were in a TSR collection and every single one of them was terrible. This was probably six or seven years ago so I'm sure things have changed but I've been so disappointed in the past.
Old September 25, 2003, 13:43   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

HARRY! You must try some of them...

Well actually, the older ones are the good ones, so maybe not...

I didn't think Daggerfall was an "official" D&D product

/me is prepared to be proved wrong *

-Jam
Old September 25, 2003, 13:48   #6
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Oh...they have to be official.

Then Daggerfall does not count.

In that case I can not voice an oppinion, since the only one I have played was Baldurs Gate, and I didn't like it.

Asmodean
Old September 25, 2003, 13:52   #7
Jac de Molay
Prince

I didn't like Baldurs Gate either. The idea of meeting basically useless party members along the way sucked.

II is slightly better, at least graphics and gameplay-wise.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old September 25, 2003, 13:54   #8
Jamski
Deity

I found most of the party members were stronger than MY character. But Baldur's Gate games are definitely NOT for powergamers.

-Jam
Old September 25, 2003, 14:06   #9
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 02:16
Baldur's Gate I, definitely. It was the heir apparent of the Ultima series that Ultima IX wasn't. Some very interesting joinable party members (Xzar and Monty, GO! ), a very manageable isometric perspective, common-sense application of the AD&D ruleset, gorgeous landscapes, and plenty of adventure off the beaten path of the main plot. Low-level adventuring is the best; more novelty, more excitement, more genuine danger to your welfare, less monty haul! The dialogue was well-written, droll and hilarious in spots, and the plot was better than BGII's "evil wizard bent on world domination and revenge" shtick. You unraveled the Iron Throne conspiracy in onion lairs. Best wizard boss ever; Daeveron! "So, the stoic adventuerers have found their way down to my lair..." he purrs.

Started a trend and revitalized a genre; Baldur's Gate is my pick for best of the lot. Those old gold-box games are nice for nostalga but little else. Icewind Dale wouldn't be possible without Baldur's Gate obviously. It sported more beauteous art and improvements in spell affects but was ultimately a more shallow game; totally hack-and-slash and didn't even put on airs for role-playing.
Old September 25, 2003, 14:16   #10
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Daggerfall isn't even an unofficial D&D product. It has nothing in common with D&D at all.

And it's easily baldur's gate, with NWN being the best in multiplayer regards.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 25, 2003, 15:00   #11
Glen
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

Hmmm BGII has got to be my fav! Enuf Said
Old September 25, 2003, 16:02   #12
CygnusZ
Warlord

My favorite game was a little gem called "Dragon Strike". This game is a 3D flight sim where you ride a dragon! Down your enemies with fireballs or at the time of your mighty lance. If you're at a high altitude and fall off the Dragon, he'll actually rush down to pick you up.

It's an oldie though, but the best PC D&D game IMHO. A certain abandonware site which we are forbidden to talk about hosts this game
Old September 25, 2003, 16:04   #13
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 04:16
Let's keep it that way.
Old September 25, 2003, 17:13   #14
Jamski
Deity

I thought Dragonstrike was based on Anne McCaffery's books? Must check this out by looking at the site that mustn't be mentioned on Google

-Jam
Old September 25, 2003, 19:35   #15
Tuberski

Local Time: 04:16
UMMMMM, PLANESCAPE:TORMENT ANYONE?!?!?!?!?!?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 25, 2003, 19:49   #16
Harry Seldon
King

I need something with endless level ups and character building. I don't like games that run like Dungeon Siege where once you've killed everything in an area, you have to move on. I'm a very patient man and like crushing everything in my path. Something like Order of the Griffin for the TG16 or a Final Fantasy. Which of these games are most like this?
Old September 25, 2003, 20:01   #17
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon
I need something with endless level ups and character building. I don't like games that run like Dungeon Siege where once you've killed everything in an area, you have to move on. I'm a very patient man and like crushing everything in my path. Something like Order of the Griffin for the TG16 or a Final Fantasy. Which of these games are most like this?
I would say the original pools of radiance and all of the other "gold box" games.

EDIT: Er, nevermind. you said "endless level ups" No D&D game would suite you, then. D&D isn't designed for that kind of play, and even the hack-n-slash games progress more slowly, and are more tightly tied with the story then, say, Final Fantasy.

The original "gold box" games did have alot Final Fantasy-esque random encounters, though.

Do It Ourselves

Last edited by General Ludd; September 25, 2003 at 20:24.
Old September 25, 2003, 20:50   #18
Harry Seldon
King

Well, maybe not endless levels. But at least enough to keep it interesting. OotG stopped at level eight but by the time you got there you were pretty kick@ss. I enjoy the combat. For me, that was the hardest thing to recreate in pen and paper play because it took so long to get through a single battle.
Old September 25, 2003, 21:47   #19
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 02:16
Harry Sheldon -- Any of the IE (Infinity Engine) games should suit you then. The main difference betwixt they and RPGs like Final Fantasy or Might and Magic is that leveling up is a big deal, so the gradually rate shouldn't deter you.

Baldur's Gate (with Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack): From lvl 1-9 approximate, give or take a level depending on character class.

Baldur's Gate II: From lvl 7-18 or thereabouts. The expansion pack (Throne of Bhaal) takes you beyond that ceiling; how far, I don't know. But to give you some perspective:

Level 1-4 character: Novice adventurer, just learning the ropes and taking odd jobs. Mortality rate high.

Level 5-8: Seasoned adventurer, knows the game. Something of an "average" rank in the majority of adventuring parties.

Level 9-14: High-level, professional adventurers; very successful dungeon-crawlers, mercenaries, would-be heroes and rabble-rousers alike.

Level 15+: Is something of the living legend rank; besides being very powerful you've often made a name for yourself in your campaigns. If they've survived this far, often near retirement.

The game pretty much stops being fun by level 20 due to the fact that your party has become so powerful little can challenge you without resorting to ridiculous contrivances ( Your party awakes stripped of their possessions in a collosieum and must battle with a horde of Mad Killer Ettins to survive!!! ) or throwing demi-gods and demon-kin your way. The novelty has long worn off; the magical and fantastical have been rendered mundane, and your party has "been everywhere, done every that."

If you're primary focus is building your own custom-tailored party Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale II may be more your speed; both games take your party from level 1 into the upper stratosphere of class levels. Baldur's Gate I/II has you create one character and then take on joinable NPCs with fleshed out personalities and individual quests.

Lastly, Planescape Torment is more of an interactive novel than a classic CRPG. You take the role of a particular character, the Nameless One, trying to recover the clues to your lost identity. The people who join you are limited in number and often the party ranks become rigid rather than mercurial as in classic adventuring parties.

The upside is that the joinable NPCs are extremely well-crafted and diverse characters, a real treat to discover. You have a hand in your class progression but most of the character development happens in-game with dialogue choices and differing paths towards completion of a certain quest. Whereas some paths close others will open; it's impossible to "do everything" the first time 'round (which adds to replay value). Your player's alignment is a reflection of your actions in-game, instead of the static, pre-determined stat of your personal "ethos," which many people complained was more or less useless. Planescape Torment is a wonderful, fulfilling role-playing game in the purest sense of the term, but the lack of complete character and party customization may turn off some gamers.

There are five IE games out there and each one packs a lot of hours of entertainment, it really depends on your taste!

Last edited by Marid Audran; September 25, 2003 at 22:46.
Old September 25, 2003, 23:39   #20
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

BG2.

Which allows you to become level 40.
Old September 26, 2003, 01:59   #21
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 05:16
This is easy: Baldur's Gate 2. Great, great, great Game!

Planescape: Torment is in 2nd.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 26, 2003, 05:49   #22
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Spelljammer.
But then that was AD&D, also FR.
Old September 26, 2003, 13:27   #23
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
UMMMMM, PLANESCAPE:TORMENT ANYONE?!?!?!?!?!?
How could I be so stupid as to forget that

Yes, Tass, level 40 is very cool, but not as cool as level 20/level 20 multiclass :P

PoR2 was odd in that you could only get to level 15 in any one class but there was no limit to how many levels you could get in total. The result was that all your characters ended up multiclassed. (of course the problem is that the XP tables are nerfed for the first half of the game to be 10% of the proper values - there's a fix that corrects this, but it makes the game insane)

-Jam
Old September 26, 2003, 14:56   #24
Stuie
King

I actually enjoyed Stone Prophet.
Old September 26, 2003, 15:31   #25
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

of the games listed here I have only played the BG and ID series so I can only judge between these two, and BG2 would be about the best rpg imo
Old September 26, 2003, 20:45   #26
Nostromo
Emperor

Planescape: torment! If you are sick and tired of elves, gnomes, trolls or orcs, you should try this game.
Old September 26, 2003, 21:40   #27
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 10:16
I think BG2 is the better game but i much prefer being lower level. In BG1 just going from lvl 1 to lvl 2 was such a big deal - something that's lost when you go from, say, 15 to 16.
Nothing like having to think about how to tackle that single ogre compared to "oh another half dozen trolls..."

No 'eye of the beholder' ? Wasn't that great but i think it was the first D&D game i played and it seemed fun at the time.
Old September 27, 2003, 08:37   #28
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Standup
I think BG2 is the better game but i much prefer being lower level. In BG1 just going from lvl 1 to lvl 2 was such a big deal - something that's lost when you go from, say, 15 to 16.
Nothing like having to think about how to tackle that single ogre compared to "oh another half dozen trolls..."

No 'eye of the beholder' ? Wasn't that great but i think it was the first D&D game i played and it seemed fun at the time.
I always found it pretty noobish that usually my party was in the majority when fighting monsters or other people and still lost a few members here and there

c'mon imagine 6 people fighting an ogre and still losing! Nah basically it was easy, just equipe everyone with ranged weapons, and keep 1 warrior as bait so the ogre keeps chasing the warrior whilst getting whacked from all sides by my other party members... that's not a challenge tbh

now a well balanced enemy troop of wizards and warriors and a thief here and there is a bit more challenging, also because there are more possibilities and skills... there's always a weak spot somewhere..
Old September 27, 2003, 09:22   #29
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus

c'mon imagine 6 people fighting an ogre and still losing!
I have a hard time imaginging the protagnist from BG1 or Imoen facing an ogre shortly after leaving their sheltered life in Candle Keep and not dying.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 27, 2003, 10:41   #30
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

hey they're bhaalspawn, why don't they turn into the slayer or something