Old September 26, 2003, 12:21   #1
djconklin
Settler

Local Time: 09:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Civ3 PTW: design feature or bug?
In a couple of cases I have attacked an enemy city and when I take it all the rest of the cities for that civ go bust. Is this a design feature or a bug? I'm using version 1.27.
Old September 26, 2003, 12:25   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 02:19
You have a special victory condition set up, Elimination I think it's called. All that's required is for one city to be taken in order to destroy the whole civ. At least that's how I think it works, I've never used it myself.
Old September 26, 2003, 13:57   #3
djconklin
Settler

Quote:
All that's required is for one city to be taken in order to destroy the whole civ.
ONE?!? A tad extreme wouldn't you say? How many cities did Rome lose before it went bust--or, should we even say that it did?
Old September 26, 2003, 14:13   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Yes, djconklin, it WAS extreme for you to set up the game that way!
It's mainly for multiplayer

Player setup screen; Rules section:
There are Elimination, Regicide, Mass Regicide, ...

Congratulations on taking the pleasure to find out how it worked through personal experience. Just don't be judgemental when you find out.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 26, 2003, 20:47   #5
djconklin
Settler

I didn't know that it was for the multi-player; now, if you pick mass regicide and are playing solo you have about 6 instant scouts you can use for running around and find various "barbarians" that hand over maps, money and tech--very profitable!
Old September 26, 2003, 21:03   #6
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
... if you pick mass regicide and are playing solo you have about 6 instant scouts ...
... and if you lose them all, you lose. Just like a single city in Elimination.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 27, 2003, 10:41   #7
djconklin
Settler

Quote:
if you lose them all, you lose.
The key word is "if"; at the beginning all the tribes (except the "babarians") I've run into are peaceful. So, I scouted out the entire continent, gained about 200 or so in gold, and about a half dozen techs to boot.
Old September 27, 2003, 11:04   #8
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 10:19
That is indeed a good way of using those kings. I dont think the AI has been optimized to use all the new victory conditions, so its a bit unfair giving yourself an advantage the AI doesnt know how to use.

Am I right in my assumption? Has anyone seen AI behaviour that would show it focusing on the victory conditions?
Old September 27, 2003, 17:46   #9
djconklin
Settler

Quote:
I dont think the AI has been optimized to use all the new victory conditions, so its a bit unfair giving yourself an advantage the AI doesnt know how to use.
Possibly unfair. But, then agian, when the AI "magically" (seemingly so) upgrades all the techs (and units) of the surrounding civs to what you are at ...

One thing I have noticed is that the surrounding civs have a whole lot less cash on hand than I do, very odd.