Old March 22, 2001, 11:37   #31
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 17:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Hey shouldn't I pass the save to Malignantx? I'll wait a little while before passing the save. If I don't here back I will send the game to
Malignantx, not Heuij.

Let me know.

------------------
"Bonjour, you cheese-eatin' surrender-monkeys."
Old March 22, 2001, 11:42   #32
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:59
Sorry skrobism - one of these days I shall learn to read - Malignantx it is...

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old March 22, 2001, 16:38   #33
Malignantx
Settler

K guys im on it.
Old March 23, 2001, 01:02   #34
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

SG,
You should really work on that reading thing. Reading is SO important.

Save sent to Malignantx.

------------------
Old March 23, 2001, 03:28   #35
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Crush, crush, crush!!!" [Carolus Rex at ringside holding up a newspaper to protect his Armani suit from blood stains]

Wait a minute?! The bloodlust part is later, right?

Never mind...

Carolus
Old March 23, 2001, 08:45   #36
Marko Polo

quote:

Originally posted by Carolus Rex on 03-23-2001 02:28 AM
"Crush, crush, crush!!!" [Carolus Rex at ringside holding up a newspaper to protect his Armani suit from blood stains]

Wait a minute?! The bloodlust part is later, right?

Never mind...

Carolus

LOL, can't wait to get there! Well actually, I couldn't wait.. I started playing 'ultimate OCC bloodlust challenge: large world with large land masses! I managed to build my ship in 1870 (15-1-1-1-1-1) and launched it 1916 with 36 years of flight time (IIRC). I'm now closing to 1930, have over 60 cities and only pathetic remains of other civs are left. I actually launched way too late my space ship, because it doesn't take more than max 10 turns to finish all the resistance. Then I'll switch back to demo (from fundy), start WLTxD's to max the score.

My capital has produced nothing else than vet stealth fighters since I started 'bloodlust' part. Using them and paratroopers I have hopped from island to another conquering. I also have a massive army of howitsers & spies which I move with transports from continent to continent. I've built some airports to help repairing my fighters & (rush)buying new ones as well as airliftings units. I keep incrementally rushbuying new units all the time, first building barracks of course. Then I need engineers to clear pollution and building roads/railroads. I really love this conquest part, it's so fun!!! I can't wait to start my final offensive!

Old March 23, 2001, 19:22   #37
Malignantx
Settler

Sorry guys i cannot find my civII cd anywhere at all.. ive looked everywhere and i know i had it becuase i bought it long ago.. sorry and i have sent the game to Hueij so have fun.
Old March 23, 2001, 20:49   #38
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:59
Is it getting tedious yet?
Old March 24, 2001, 07:08   #39
Hueij
Emperor

Ha, nothing like a shot of Civ on a dull Saturday morning...

975: Warrior.
950: Sioux destroyed by Japanese, French start Pyramids, our chariot goes out exploring.
925: Warrior.
900: Hut-Construction.
875: Library.
825: Americans start Pyramids.
725: Literacy.
700: French build Pyramids, Americans change to Hanging Gardens. Hut-Legion (supported).
625: Market Place, French discover Mysticism, peace with French for Writing and Literacy.
600: French start Marco Polo.
575: Japanese start Lighthouse.
550: Temple, disband warrior. Livius tells us we are the 5th most powerfull civ , the Fench are second...

----------------
Save sent to Julius and SG[1]
Old March 26, 2001, 17:40   #40
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Nothing to tell in the 1st years of my reign. We discover mathematics in 400bc. Now size 5. Our chariot continues to explore. 300 BC : we discover a none Chariot in a hut. 275 BC we discover mysticism from a hut. 125 BC we discover Astronomy from a hut. We meet the americans. Peace established. They don’t want to exchange techs ! A caravan starts going in their directions. Another one is BTW already moving eastward. 25 BC we’re revolted smoothly into a republic. Thanks Oedo ! We start celebrating. 50 gold from hut. 1 AD, we give republic to the French and the Americans. Trade for mapmaking with the latter. 40 AD now size 7. We stop the celebration. 3rd caravan build. We find french settler irrigating ! Consul Julius can’t refrain from playing 2 more turns to make the 1st trade connection. 80 AD philosophy from a hut. 100 AD Banking discovered. Trade route with Marseilles (70 gold, +4 trade). Time to pass the power to another brillant consul !
Old March 26, 2001, 17:42   #41
Julius Brenzaida
King

Game sent to with copy to Paul. I’ve been quite lucky with the huts ! With the French and Americans to trade with, it should go better. Colosseum, aqueduc, size 12 and then Copernic. At least, I hope so !
Edit : my log is at the end of page 1.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
[This message has been edited by Julius Brenzaida (edited March 26, 2001).]
Old March 27, 2001, 08:15   #42
East Street Trader
Prince

Back from skiing and keen to join in when my turn comes round.

The French and the Americans as neighbours! Let the (Alpine Horde) Wars begin.

Oh, well, after Paul has seen to that little matter of getting our bird in the air first, I suppose.
Old March 27, 2001, 09:32   #43
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

As both EST & skrobism were unable to play their turns I suggest that before we start the second round we let them catch up -- consequently will send the save to EST as soon as I get home and suggest that EST passes to skrobism who passes back to me.

Malignantx - do I understand that you are scratching - I shall work on that assumption unless you let me know to the contrary

I seem to be short of recent save games - if you have any please forward (ideally to my work address if you know it) git1@scousers.net is fine, but being at home I can't upload to the server so have to forward to myself...

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
- Paul Craven
Old March 27, 2001, 09:56   #44
Marko Polo

I have finished my own OCC bloodlust game. I had the following setting:

Deity, raging horder, 7 civs, large random map, large land masses, wet and warm climate and every other setting at the middle. My city site had 7 river tiles and two hidden specials (wine, coal) which I discovered by chance when transforming rivered grassland tiles to mines. I had big difficulties finding the AI opponents. I was located in the biggest continent in it's western part whereas Vikings & Celts were in the Eastern end of it.

I made 15-1-1-1-1-1 space ship at 1870. It had 79% of success and flight time of 36 years. I launched it 1916 (way too late, I sort-of forget to launch it earlier ) I conquered my second last city at 1927 and after that I had nothing else to do than maximise my score.. and yes Smash, I got bored doing that!

When I landed 1952, I had 92 cities (91 conquered + my capital, the only one I ever built). The only enemy city was a Persian one, surrounded by spies. Pathetically, he kept building spaceship parts with his only city.

Btw, it isn't possible to conquer the last city & land at the same year, because the landing occurs immediately at the start of the year. So the winning condition of 'OCC bloodlust challenge' must be: 'land on AC when only one enemy city / settler is left'.

My score was 3846 = 499% and this is my power graph . Thanks SG[1] for helping me put these to the web!

edit: changed images to urls to speed up page loading for those with slower modems..
[This message has been edited by Marko Polo (edited March 29, 2001).]

Old March 27, 2001, 16:09   #45
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:59
I'm not in this game and I don't organise it, so you shouldn't cc your saves to me, but send them to SG[1]. SG[1], I've got saves from Hueij and Julius. I'll forward them to you.
Old March 28, 2001, 05:53   #46
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by Paul on 03-27-2001 03:09 PM
I'm not in this game and I don't organise it, so you shouldn't cc your saves to me, but send them to SG[1]. SG[1], I've got saves from Hueij and Julius. I'll forward them to you.

Sorry Paul , I followed Hueij’s example !
Scouse Gits, I had already sent the saved game to you but I send it to your work adress too.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old March 28, 2001, 06:08   #47
Hueij
Emperor

I don't have the save anymore Julius, do you still have the one I sent you? If so, can you send it to SG?
Old March 28, 2001, 09:10   #48
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by Hueij on 03-28-2001 05:08 AM
I don't have the save anymore Julius, do you still have the one I sent you? If so, can you send it to SG?

Yes, of course !

Old March 28, 2001, 11:05   #49
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Paul -- sorry for any inconvenience ...

Everyone -- Post 1 now up to date

EST -- did you receive the game?

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

- Paul Craven
Old March 29, 2001, 08:40   #50
East Street Trader
Prince

Yes, game safely received but when I try to open it I get a message saying that my computer doesn't believe it is a saved game? I've dropped you a line on that in case your (vastly) better IT skills can put me right.

Sorry to be slow responding, my log in was one of those eaten yesterday.

PS Can't wait to get to work - it was a bummer when I couldn't get at the game last night. (Probably as well though, it was around the witching hour and I'd downed a pint or two with team mates celebrating a victorious bridge match ).
Old March 29, 2001, 08:50   #51
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Woops!!!

Julius - you plyed in MGE!! this is (was) a 2.42 game!

How shall we recover - would you like to take your turn again Julius?

Alternatively, EST could pick up the 500BC save?

Whichever fits in most easily with current schedules - please advise ...

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

- Paul Craven
Old March 29, 2001, 09:25   #52
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 03-29-2001 07:50 AM
Woops!!!
Julius - you plyed in MGE!! this is (was) a 2.42 game!

Saperlipopette ! Toutes mes excuses.
Sorry, sorry, sorry. Yes, of course I replay it. My humble apologies. Now I understand why I've lost 639 post yesterday and came back from prince (729) to chieftain (90) !

------------------
Old March 29, 2001, 14:24   #53
Julius Brenzaida
King

Nothing to tell in the 1st years of my reign. We discover mathematics in 400bc. Now size 5. Our chariot continues to explore. 225 BC : we discover a none Legion in a hut. 175 BC we discover mysticism from a hut. 125 BC we discover Republic and revolt immediately, thanks Oedo. We discover a None chariot. 50 BC, we have celebrated up to size 7. We have 2 caravans heading either way. We’re about to meet a nation in the northwest and we’re researching astronomy. Good luck to the next Consul. There is no army in Rome but the diplomatic airlift should bring one back soon.
Old March 29, 2001, 14:27   #54
Julius Brenzaida
King

Game sent to EST, copy to Scouse Gits, sorry once again.
I played with 1.02, I hope it works.

------------------
Old March 29, 2001, 15:11   #55
East Street Trader
Prince

Save safely received and I'm on my way home to play.

Mmmm. Better thumb through the Paulicy as I walk, haven't Occed for a month or two. Sounds to be about late opening, early middle gameish.

Now what total disaster could I perpetrate to make my successors' life tricky.

Could I follow Julius lead and LEAVE ROME EMPTY.

Second thoughts, no time to read, I can almost hear those barbarian trumpets sounding the advance.

Come to think of it, I'LL BLOODY WELL RUN.

And the name of the save suggests I'm the God awful Livia.

WHICH misbeknighted fellow got me into this FIASCO.

Mumble, mumble, burble, grunt, puff, puff ...
Old March 30, 2001, 01:25   #56
East Street Trader
Prince

Well, this reminds me from yet one more angle that I am daft not to have the MP version. In fact, I'll do a search this moment for somewhere to order one.

I looked once before (quite briefly and without success) for a copy of the European version but I wonder if it might not be simpler just to order an American copy from Chips and Bits (with the added benefit that if I use the Apolyton banner to link in Poly gets 10% I think). Also I'm struggling to bring to mind what the European one was called.

But is there some deep and deadly ITish reason why my machine will find the American version unpalatable?
Old March 30, 2001, 01:45   #57
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Not at all EST - the European version is I think called 'Classic', but you can pick up simple MP in Electronic boutique or Virgin Megastore for about £10 -- whichever you get - don't forget to apply Julius' 'No Limits' patch - that brings you into line with version 1.3 and allows Gigamap generation ...

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

- Paul Craven
Old March 30, 2001, 03:23   #58
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Never mind this irrelevant intermission:

The Euro version is called Ultimate Civilisation II Classic Collection.

Carry on, lads!

Carolus
Old March 30, 2001, 08:16   #59
East Street Trader
Prince

Twenty turns played and save about to go to skrobism and the Gits.

Meanwhile following the success at decoding the Dead Sea Scrolls these, hitherto indecipherable, documents among the noble Livia's household records have yielded up their secrets.

"Being a slave in the same house with Livia has always had its problems. But since Augustus died its been a bit of a nightmare. Still, I am well practiced in the grey skills of the scribe, keeping to the shadows and avoiding notice, so I hope to outlive most. Also, Livia seems to value my knowledge of the rarer corners of the pharmacopoeia and I’ve begun to think I get off lighter as a result.

Anyway my mate Tacitus has asked me to keep a note or two to aid him in his scribbling so here goes. Pray the Gods keep these out of the hands of Sejanus (may his black soul rot in Hades’ blackest pit) although I doubt there is another in Rome who could decipher the Essene pseudepigrapa script.

I have been reading in Livia’s correspondence lately of strange events back home in Palestine. But I doubt that those in Rome will ever be concerned with what goes on in such an backwater and Tacitus won’t thank me for details of such obscurities.

Nearer at home, the talk is all of the meeting which took place between our Eastern troops and a strange new tribe with the outlandish name of “the French”. Our lads had to teach the benighted fellows how to add up and take away would you believe, and the “wonders” of republican government. Now if they’d had Livia with them she could have explained a thing or two about that subject. Forty two senators opposed her last proposal but that was a pathetically small opposition really and, in future, the number’s bound to be less after the outbreak of botulism. Every one of the forty two seem to have succumbed. Livia says it’s the judgement of the Gods upon them.

Anyway, the French, who apparently love to march up and down singing “the Marseillaise”, a raucous song named for their city, decided they would maintain a peace with us. Wouldn’t bet on it lasting though, they seem an icy and discontented lot.

No sooner had the news come in about the French than our lads in the West reported meeting an even more outlandish crew called after some Italian adventurer called Vespucci. They had to be shown how to barter for our good Roman commodities and had also never even had a King! They proved more friendly than the French and, upon our agreeing to aid them in some trivial dispute with a local tribe of small people with slanty eyes and green togas they allied themselves with us and sent a welcome gift of 50 gold. The parties that Livia and Sejanus (may his black soul … etc etc) give are not cheap and I was a bit surprised when so much of the gold went on completing the aqueduct which the city started work on after the last trade caravan left.

The reason for that unexpected act of public spirit, however, soon became apparent. No sooner was the aqueduct up but Livia got the Senate (thirteen dissentients – French flu later got the lot – more Godly judgment?) to set every mason in the land upon the task of erecting a colossal structure in which, so it seems, games will take place.

At least that will give some additional occupation to all these charioteers that Livia recalled to the city. At the moment it’s a real bore letting them in at the back door all the time so that they can discuss race tactics with her in her chamber. Smell of the stables, some of the, but strapping big lads.

Some said in the Senate that it is the legions that should have been recalled, not the charioteers but Livia pointed out the ancient ordinances which forbid the legions to enter Rome and, anyway, the three who spoke about this all contracted a variant of swine fever which gave them the staggers and softened the brain soon after – awful sight they were.

So the “Coliseum” got built, as it is being called, and I must say the chariot races are very exiting. The city is a happier place since it opened its doors. And the children being born, well I’ve never seen so many of the little blighters. It turned out to be a good thing that there is plenty of water in the city these days.

Not that Livia and Sejanus drink much of it. In fact they keep moaning because apparently the peasants aren’t producing the right sort of things to trade with these new neighbours of ours. To encourage them Livia has started putting some of them into the Coliseum with outlandish animals which the camel drivers brought back after delivering their gaudy beads in Marseilles. They didn’t get much of a price, 66 gold in fact, but the trade route is bringing in profits and the bulls in the forum are apparently saying that Marseilles is a good long term prospect – something to do with "the river effect" or something, but you know how incomprehensible citizen Roland and the others down there can be. All double Etruscan to me. But Lygdus the Eunuch believes it all so he’s bet his savings on something called “copper futures”. Hope it pays off cause he borrowed a denarius or two from me.

I plan to move the rest of my own stache out from under my bed soon because the talk is of a new place, let us call it a “bank”, where money can be stored and then lended out at a price. The wise men have been discussing this lately and have settled on the principles although, as usual, implementing their ideas is going to take time. In fact we can’t start on that yet because of another of their notions. Real hare brained one this. Apparently you can learn things by just craning your neck and peering through this long tube pointed into the sky. Well, that would be nothing very new, but what we have all been told to do is to organise a whole load of camels into caravans and, it is said, this will result in a new and wonderful building appearing in which this activity will be more comfortably performed – either that or a new Theatre will suddenly appear, no-one is quite sure which. Bloody silly if you ask me – well as long as its not Livia asking, of course. No one opposed this in the Senate – in fact the senators have stopped going claiming head aches and tummy upsets. Livia kindly sent out little packets of head ache powder or stomach powder to them all and explained that, if they were still too ill to ratify her decrees they could simply take the powder. They all got better after that and then unanimously agreed how clever Livia was to think of the caravan idea.

Anyway, enough for now, Livia has asked me to look into the properties of a little known plant called, Henbane. She thinks we may have rats in the palace, although she did also mutter something about Apiata, Sejanus wife.

I hope we get the Theatre, not the other thingy. I’m getting a bit fed up with the shows at the Coliseum. Even these new “Christians” who’ve been on the bill of late just sing silly songs while they’re eaten. And there aren’t so many kids about the place any more. Something new will cheer the people up a lot, I reckon."

While there is a good deal of historical accuracy in that account there are some corruptions of the true history of Rome from the time of our Lord until 400 AD so I post here the official version

AD 20 give Republic and Maths to the icy French, won't talk further.

AD 20 meet Americans in New York (top city) give trade and monarchy ally at expense of joining war with Japanese. Get 50 g. Japanese won't talk.

AD 80 rush aqueduct. Eastern caravan sees irrigation.

AD 100 Astronomy. Researching Banking. Meet French. Give astronomy for peace.

AD 120 Feudalism from hut. Beads (not demanded) to Marseilles. 66g 4 arrow route.

AD 140 Banking from hut

AD 160 researching philosophy

AD 180 rush Coloseum. Set luxuries to celebrate. Give Americans banking. 25 gold. Give banking and feudalism to French.

AD 240 2 barb horses from a polar hut.

AD 260 unshod barb horses die of frostbite.

AD 300 Size 12, re-set luxuries.

AD 320 Philosophy, take Medicine as free tech. Researching horseback riding (choice from two).

AD 340 give French Philosophy and Medicine.

AD 400 get message worshipful American allies have discovered Map Making

One or two footnotes. I've gone out on a limb or two. In the light of the very welcome AD 400 message the choice of banking to research may have paid off. We sure need some maps and the need for a harbour is not far off (especially, perhaps, were we to go for Shakes' first).

Clearly it is my hope that we can get horseback riding from a trade before it comes in but we are bringing in a tech each 11 turns and there a caravan (again not demanded tho') which will speed us up this time. Also the French and Japanese don't like us one bit and are tight lipped.

Our supported chariot to the east got baulked by a French catapult as it approached the fog of war concealing Paris and I sent a legion on a polar walk. I would have brought him back when the loom of the land turned out
deceptive but he found a hut and, in my experience one polar hut usually means another. Anyway I pressed on.

There is a copper on the way to New York which demands copper. Might help.

If the bloody Japs turn up thirsting for blood it might be curtains. But they are reasonably distant and we have a chariot and a mountain fortress to play with. If someone gets a legion home we're all right. And they may chill out some time. Well anyway if that particulat bough breaks I'll just have to imaginative in finding a way to blame someone else.

The AI seem to be doing poorly in this game - difficultish map - which may help explain their beligerance (OK, OK, it was me that declared war on them, I know - but the French usually behave similarly to the Japs and they are being bloody all by themselves).

We have one caravan awaiting rush buying use and another on the way. God knows which wonder comes first. The French were building Sun Tsu's but I think they gave up (sorry, got tired and didn't note it). Anyway they won't switch if I'm misremembering.

Had a lot of fun. Good luck skrobism and successors. An Occ succession is a good intro to succession games, I think, cause you don't have to puzzle out what your predecessors were up to, everyone according equal respect to 95% of the Paulicy.

Old March 30, 2001, 16:26   #60
Daddy-O
Emperor

I need the 400ad save. For some reason it was read by my email as inline text. Please resend.

------------------