Old October 4, 2003, 13:49   #211
Curiosity
Warlord

Local Time: 09:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
America until the Civil War was lassaiz faire. Afterwards monopolies began to spread as the government started to interfere with the economy. (Intercontinental RailRoad)
It wasn't quite laissez faire, though perhaps close enough for this argument. However the legal and technological basis for corporations only emerged after the invention of railroads, so it's no surprise that we didn't need laws to restrain something which didn't exist.
Old October 4, 2003, 14:16   #212
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:27
Business leaders always argued against government intervention in the economy if it goes against their interest, then when things like corporate welfare, strike busting, and so on, come to the fore, business leaders are all for government intervention.
Old October 4, 2003, 14:19   #213
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Business leaders always argued against government intervention in the economy if it goes against their interest, then when things like corporate welfare, strike busting, and so on, come to the fore, business leaders are all for government intervention.
I'm shocked and appauled. which reminds me. we need radical reform of lobbying in gov't.
Old October 4, 2003, 19:17   #214
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Noone who support capitalism on these foruyms will support intervention to serve business leaders. If you want to stand against government intervetion I'll stand with you, but if you mark down business leader's moral failings to the failure of Capitalism then we are quite in opposition.
Old October 6, 2003, 13:46   #215
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 01:27
Quote:
Originally posted by SKILORD
1) I hate feeding and sheltering other people.
See Ming. Greedy.
Old October 6, 2003, 15:03   #216
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Not Greedy, Selfish.

And yes, I am, can you prove that there's something wrong with that?

There is something wrong with complete and total egocentricity, but I am not egocentric (My own good is not all I care about) I am selfish (I am more concerned with my own good than I am for the good of my fellow man).

Communism, with it's espousal of the statement 'No man should have more than I!' is far more egocentric than Capitalism (Motto: 'Who gives a damn? I'm too busy trying to make myself some cash').

Or is Communism not about selfish interests? Does it not ask for an army of covetous individuals to seize power and distribute the wealth of the conqured amongst themselves? No, that isn't the way I am to say it, is it. Unless you have totally lost sight of the poor as individual men you have to admit that Communism is based upon complete and total egocentricism.

Last edited by SKILORD; October 6, 2003 at 15:22.