Old September 28, 2003, 19:33   #1
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 10:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ethical Calculus SE
Assuming we receive ethical calculus within the next two turns; when do we change to the Democracy SE. We have three colony pods out there. By the time we actually receive it there might be no problem but if the Sea colony pod has not found anywhere suitable do we wait or change anyhow.
Old September 28, 2003, 19:39   #2
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 10:27
This is also a kind of poll/dirk throwing activity re changing to Democracy. But maybe there's a case for staying frontier.
Old September 29, 2003, 09:54   #3
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 03:27
throw the dirks!

At the moment, I have no opinion...

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old September 30, 2003, 02:12   #4
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I would want to found the colonies first if our current SE choices get us the free 10 minerals-- AS soon as thats done I almost always favor getting in and staying in democracy for a long time-- I love the growth bonus --

Usually I would go demo right away but FOUR colonies means to me that the balance favors delaying just a bit
Old September 30, 2003, 03:00   #5
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 04:27
Well one will be founded this turn (2138), another next turn and the SeaColony hopefully no later than next turn and there is not a 4th currently outstanding, only the 3, so it will likely not be a big problem by the time we get it. Even if it comes next turn and we still have 2 pods outstanding, we could wait until later in the turn - after the base(s) is founded before accepting it (assuming it is not a pre-accepted kind of deal just awaiting the other sides acceptance) and so get the 10 mins anyway; at worst we would lose only 10 if the SeaColony is still wandering.

There may also be some beneficial effects due to the +2 efficiency, including balancing the -2 efficiency of Planned, should we choose to go that way before we start to take the +2 efficiency benefits too much for granted. With our basic -1 Growth, we would still not be pop booming even with Demo/Planned, so we wouldn't have to worry about those complications (like they wouldn't be worth worrying about to get the boom).
Old September 30, 2003, 21:02   #6
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller
Even if it comes next turn and we still have 2 pods outstanding, we could wait until later in the turn - after the base(s) is founded before accepting it (assuming it is not a pre-accepted kind of deal just awaiting the other sides acceptance) and so get the 10 mins anyway; at worst we would lose only 10 if the SeaColony is still wandering.
HUh-- Shouldn't the diplomacy part be irrelevant . We can switch to democracy any time after getting eth calc

I do agree that the efficiency gain may be so good as to compensate for the lose of the mins
Old October 1, 2003, 19:56   #7
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 04:27
Yes, the trade window stuff is not relevant, it is the time we switch to Demo that is relevant. Perhaps the title of the thread got me off in the wrong direction thinking that the Demo SE effects went with the EthCalc tech.