Old September 29, 2003, 14:21   #1
bastain
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
civ3-ptw-newbie-questions
Hi there,

perhaps you can help me with this questions:

- which ports do I have to open in the firewall, so that others can see my opened games in the internet-lobby?

- is there no possibility, that I can see the chat-messages in any screen in the game. when im in the city-view-window, i donT see any message of others. there is also no sound to indicate...hey, there is a message. imho the best chat-function was in ctp and ctp2.

- why is there no message, when i made a new invention? do i have to check the science-windows to see what has been invented?

- is it not possible to give orders to my units in advance when my opponent is doing his turn? they seem to have forgotten my orders when its my turn.

- I checked the "Dont wait after each turn" (Preferences), but I have to press Space or Enter after each turn...

Thanx for your help!
Bastian
Old September 29, 2003, 17:54   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:31
Take a look at the MP forum, they probably know.
Old September 30, 2003, 13:53   #3
bastain
Chieftain

it seems, that there is very low traffic....
Old September 30, 2003, 14:38   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:31
You are right about there being verylow traffic on the MP forum. Let's see if I can help shed some light.

Quote:
- which ports do I have to open in the firewall, so that others can see my opened games in the internet-lobby?
Good question. When I play MP internet play, I just turn off my firewall since I don't know how to bypass it for the game.

Quote:
- is there no possibility, that I can see the chat-messages in any screen in the game. when im in the city-view-window, i donT see any message of others. there is also no sound to indicate...hey, there is a message. imho the best chat-function was in ctp and ctp2.
Not that I know of. The city-view window effectively covers any chat window open on the main screen. I don't believe there is a way around it.

Quote:
- why is there no message, when i made a new invention? do i have to check the science-windows to see what has been invented?
This is one of my major gripes with PTW. Evidently, to help alliviate the lag in a MP game, the designers built MP with fewer pop-up windows (including the Science Advisor). So, the only way to keep track of your research is by constantly opening the science advisor screen. In addition, this same lack of not having the science screen automatically pop-up when a research is finished will be the same for Civ3-Conquests (informed of this during the Conquests Chat over at Civ Fanatics).

Quote:
- is it not possible to give orders to my units in advance when my opponent is doing his turn? they seem to have forgotten my orders when its my turn.
When it isn't your turn, no orders can be given to your units. Also, if you give movement orders to your units when it is your turn, and then later click on the unit in question, this will effectively erase the orders you gave to it previously. So they haven't forgotten their orders, you just mistakenly clicked on them again which erases their prior orders. Confusing? Yes, but you will get use to it.

Quote:
- I checked the "Dont wait after each turn" (Preferences), but I have to press Space or Enter after each turn...
As far as I know option of "Don't wait after each turn" is only viable in a SP game. With the nature of a MP game, you still have to press enter/space bar to effectively end your turn and "pass the dice" to the next player, so to speak.

I hope I was able to shed a little light on your questions Bastain and not confuse you too much.
Old October 2, 2003, 04:50   #5
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 11:31
I ALWAYS prefer pressing enter each turn. That way you don't get stolen chances to do things after moving units
Old October 2, 2003, 06:04   #6
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
So, the only way to keep track of your research is by constantly opening the science advisor screen.
Or just glance down at the bottom right corner of the screen every couple of turns.
Old October 2, 2003, 06:14   #7
Ecthy
Emperor

I do both usually... bottom right for quick checking, tech advisor screen to check what further options I have
Old October 2, 2003, 06:16   #8
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
I ALWAYS prefer pressing enter each turn. That way you don't get stolen chances to do things after moving units
Me too.
Old October 2, 2003, 06:26   #9
Ecthy
Emperor

actually I can hardly understand how anyone would prefer having end of turn stolen by some damn machine
Old October 7, 2003, 18:09   #10
CanuckSoldier
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 02:31
You can look over at Civ3players Forums at www.civ3players.proboards2.com, we have a good tech forum for these issues.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers
Old October 10, 2003, 19:41   #11
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:31
I like pressing ENTER too, just for hearing the triple sound
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom