Old October 2, 2003, 22:38   #31
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 04:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
Fortunately, it is still our turn. We can move at least one Dragoon into the city and fortify it (so there were additional ways to take the city), and there may be some wounded units with moves available (I haven't studied the situation deeper than that yet.).
I think I can answer some of these:

Other than one Diplo I forgot, I think we only have those 2 Dragoons to the west with move points remaining, to move into Washington.

Quote:
But if Washington was defended by Musketeers (as it appears to have been, then it seems safe to conclude that the surrounding American cities have the same units and those are not capable of mounting any attack on Washington even next turn.
I agree. The Americans would have to move through our units in the fortress to attack Washington, anyway. And even if they did somehow recapture the city, it wouldn't be reinstated as their capital, and we'd still have that crucial first upgrade from Leos.

Quote:
The Washington city walls (to my complete surprise) survived the assault, so we will have at least one 2 defense unit and a Dip fortified inside city walls on a river square. The pathetic Republican Americans with their Musketeers have no chance of driving us out of Washington unless they have a wave of Diplomats to bribe it.
I didn't get a chance to investigate the city before attacking as I was trying to save the Diplos for sabotage purposes. So I don't know what was there, beforehand. The walls were of course unharmed by our sabotage , and they survived the battle, too

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old October 2, 2003, 23:26   #32
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
I agree. The Americans would have to move through our units in the fortress to attack Washington, anyway. And even if they did somehow recapture the city, it wouldn't be reinstated as their capital, and we'd still have that crucial first upgrade from Leos.
You made me think of something...did the American Capital move after Washington was taken? Or are the Americans now without a capital (and prime game for our diplomats to bribe)
Old October 2, 2003, 23:40   #33
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

You made me think of something...did the American Capital move after Washington was taken? Or are the Americans now without a capital (and prime game for our diplomats to bribe)
They didn't move their capital - not enough cash to do it.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old October 2, 2003, 23:44   #34
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

This is perhaps the best news I have heard of your sequence of turns, I can't beleive I didn't think to ask earlier...but then again...I'm not the foreign minister (anymore)

/me Citizen of the Apolyton Imperium
Old October 3, 2003, 00:08   #35
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

The Americans do not currently have a Capital.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old October 3, 2003, 01:03   #36
King

IIRC, only the Germans have enough to move a capital (1000 g)

Old October 3, 2003, 02:23   #37
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Well, then time to roust some anti-American agitators.

Old October 3, 2003, 05:24   #38
duke o' york
Emperor

Local Time: 10:37
Are we in a position to make fundy celebration profitable yet? If we can get enough cash together each turn then bribery will be a great way of taking America, but we may have to use the troops too if we can't afford to just buy up the whole empire. These troops might be more profitably used against Germany - because the rewards for capturing their cities will be much higher than those for the Americans - money we can recycle into buying up America.
Old October 3, 2003, 07:02   #39
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:37
Oh yes - gold from captured German cities...

BTW what are the military forces we can expect to face from Germany?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 3, 2003, 10:11   #40
King

Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
Are we in a position to make fundy celebration profitable yet? If we can get enough cash together each turn then bribery will be a great way of taking America, but we may have to use the troops too if we can't afford to just buy up the whole empire. These troops might be more profitably used against Germany - because the rewards for capturing their cities will be much higher than those for the Americans - money we can recycle into buying up America.
IMO, fundy celebration is possible but may not be profitable.

IF we have a lot of happiness-generating improvements (HG, lots of markets and banks - and we don't) then the happiness can be created with a moderate luxury rate. Having a lot of ocean for the extra trade arrow helps (and we don't have much ocean, of course).

As it stands... I think BK tried to create celebrations and did so with 80% lux. If we decide to turn the science rate down for a while, that could work... but the rewards might not equal the effort.

Also... I always felt that a celebrating Fundamentalism's chief benefit was bigger Freight payoffs. And, of course, we don't build Freight. So there's not as much reason to bother with celebration (again IMO).

Old October 3, 2003, 10:15   #41
cavebear
Emperor

It occurs to me that since we have just taken Washington and it is still our turn, the AI has not had an opportunity to react to losing the American capital. We won't know what the Americans will do until the first full turn of the next session.

It would not surprise me greatly if they turned up with a new capital. We all know that the AI is sometimes able to perform miracles when required.

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old October 3, 2003, 10:55   #42
duke o' york
Emperor

Local Time: 10:37
Yeah, but they'll have to switch their build queue to a palace in one of the other cities. You only get the chance to rush a palace once, immediately after the original capital falls. After that, you have to build it the old-fashioned way. And by the time they manage to finish a palace, most of their empire will be resounding to the hymns of the fundy faithful, and it won't make any more difference.
Old October 3, 2003, 11:04   #43
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
It occurs to me that since we have just taken Washington and it is still our turn, the AI has not had an opportunity to react to losing the American capital. We won't know what the Americans will do until the first full turn of the next session.

It would not surprise me greatly if they turned up with a new capital. We all know that the AI is sometimes able to perform miracles when required.

When a civ loses its capital, they have one opportunity to move it - and this happens during the capturing player's turn. If they decide to move the capital, they need 1000 g for the rushbought Palace, and the message appears 'XXXXciv's government escapes to YYYY'.

No such message occurred when Washington fell, because they didn't have 1000 g. AIs always have their government escape if they have the cash. So, the Americans may start a new Palace somewhere when their turn arrives, but I imagine we'll have at least a few turns to do some cheap bribing.

Old October 3, 2003, 12:16   #44
cavebear
Emperor

Well, I guess you are right about the in-turn move. I can't recall losing my own capital, so I just thought the sudden change of AI capitals was a little trick the AI got away with.

But what I had in mind was that the AI might simply convert a nearly-completed Colloseum or something to a Palace in some other city and finish it on it's next turn. We would see it the turn after that. So, actually, I should have said "the second full turn". We have at least the remainder of this turn and the next turn before they *can* have a capital city again.

Old October 3, 2003, 13:50   #45
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
I think BK tried to create celebrations and did so with 80% lux.
It may be possible with fewer luxuries. I only did a cursory examination to see if it were possible to induce celebrations.

Will be posting my polls later today. I have class all this afternoon.
Old October 3, 2003, 18:00   #46
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 11:37
Excelent turn and thanks for stepping in

Lets make some money and take the rest of Americans out