Old October 2, 2003, 23:54   #1
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 02:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AUSG101 – Spaceship Team DAR 4
This is the DAR (“during action report”) thread for the fourth turn block of 30 turns (550bc – 50ad) for the spaceship team. Please post your DAR of the next 30 turns, including thoughts of why you did what you did in the game, along with a screenshot at 50ad and a savegame at 50ad. Please name your save with your nickname, team name, and the time (i.e. rhoth-spaceship-50ad).

Team registry:

alexman
ZargonX
vmxa1
Tarquinius
Mountain Sage
Defcon5
Makahlua

Current Voting (by opportunist team)

ZargonX: 1

Total votes: 1 of 7
Attached Files:
File Type: sav alexman-spaceship-550bc.sav (146.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Rhothaerill; October 12, 2003 at 01:27.
Old October 3, 2003, 02:15   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:47
I see the count went up even thought I canceled the DL. I realized I already had it from the voting.
Old October 3, 2003, 02:16   #3
vmxa1
Deity

BTW I appreciate your being on the job Rhothaerill.
Old October 3, 2003, 06:40   #4
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 09:47
Downloaded. Let's go kill some more useless civs...
Old October 3, 2003, 09:50   #5
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Time to slap around Japan; again
Old October 3, 2003, 15:51   #6
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

So has anyone played this save and seen something that occured a few turns in yet?
Old October 3, 2003, 16:16   #7
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Does it have anything to do with several civs just having entered the Middle Ages?
Old October 3, 2003, 16:23   #8
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

That would be it. I used your save while determining the year that this turn block would end and saw some interesting stuff occur.
Old October 3, 2003, 17:13   #9
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Ah, you mean the 900 horsemen barbs that sacked Muscat? Yeeeahhh.... about thaaat....
Old October 6, 2003, 18:38   #10
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Bump for vmxa1.
Old October 6, 2003, 18:43   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Thanks, the search did not even show it?
Old October 6, 2003, 19:00   #12
vmxa1
Deity

Ok, I seemed to have had a very hard time stick with this one. I suspect it is because of all the stop starts.
I have a few other games going on (Moo/Homm/Might and Magic) and when I start this one I am not sure what I am suppose to be doing.

Anyway first thing I did was to panic. I see we are in a new age and Alexmen said at least two others are as well. He did not say if any uprising had been announced.
I looked around and felt that only the cities out toward EDO were likely targets. They had no defenders and a straight shot to unexplored lands in the fog.
So I switched Muscat to walls and sent some horse to defend those three cities.

I noted a strange or at least funny thing, Carth and Japan had RoP? They have no way to cross each others land.

I am a cautious player and would like to have some sentries out in the fog before rolling to a new age to spot any camps.

I kicked off the war and killed the archer in our land.
550 BC
Damascus switch to temple, Baghdad and Muscat switch to walls.

530 BC
Capture Osaka used spear 2 swords to occupy
Spear bought at Shiraz
4 swords to Nara, 7 sowrds to Edo, 1 sword to Bukhara

510 BC
Kufah starts temple, Najran starts spear, killed archer by Nara

470 BC
Wow massive uprising had occurred by Edo and 16 barbs horsemen hit it and all died, while my stack of swords on the mountain watched in horror. No9 defends kill, but they were down to 1 HP and HP.
Looks like I could have avoid the expense, but anyway I hit Edo and no problems as the elite spears were nearly dead already.
Switched Shiraz to temple, baghdad switched to court.
Mecca starts spear, found Balrh (sp) and started temple.
Old October 6, 2003, 19:10   #13
vmxa1
Deity

450 BC
Mecca starts settler

410 BC
Damascus starts market, Fustat start spear
KHurasan start market

390 BC
Yamama start market I see an uprising attack Nagaya.
Japan lands an archer at Aden, our horsemen kill it.

350 BC
Meddina starts market, Muscat start spear
Found Mosul and starts Temple, made some trades
MOnarch to India, Litand Eng to Ottoman for cash and Mono. Lit and Eng to Babs for Fuedalism. Adj research.

310 BC
Najran start pike, auto razed a town.

290BC
Aden starts galley

270 BC
Kufah starts market. I am using some workers to road the most out lying tiles to be prepared for attacks from US. I hate to have my horsemen attack someone on a tile that will use up their moves, without a road.

250 BC
Fustat start market

230 BC
Mansura start court
Old October 6, 2003, 19:17   #14
vmxa1
Deity

210 BC
Najran start market

190 BC
Aden start pike, Merw start pike

170 BC
Found Aydab it starts temple

150 BC
Meina start lib, Yam start market, Aleppo start Harbor

130 BC
Adj research

110 BC
Researching Education

90 BC
Aden start market, Bukhora start market, Aleppo start harbor, Fez start court, Medina start Cath
Mde contact with Germany and sold them some very early ancient techs, they were in very bad shape tech wise.
Hurried production in Osaka so I could rush a barracks. I needed to upgrade some swords as they were not faring all that well against size 7 spears. Cannot afford to build cats as they could wreck the wonder.
Old October 6, 2003, 19:20   #15
vmxa1
Deity

10 BC
Shiraz starts barracks. US has already made a demand for contacts, so I want to be able to upgrade units and get the fast heal.

10 AD
Mecca start cath, Osaka starts court.

30 AD
Balkh starts a harbor as it is not growing and it will be to hard to get it water.
Ed is next turn and adj research.

249 gold

22 cities
67 units
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	clipboard.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	54638  
Old October 6, 2003, 19:31   #16
vmxa1
Deity

I am not a user of camps, so I was lost as to weither I should be disbanding any of them or not.

I have not traded any contacts so far. I have contact with all civs.

I have upgraded some units and hope to get Kyoto as they have lost some spears and I have pillage soem tiles. The battle was not going all that great and I have not been able to get more troops up to help. I would probably want to get peace after get the GL captured.
I am guessing the US has backed up a bit as we now have Pikes. I have not started any wonders either.
US completed Great Wall. I have been trying to get roads on all tiles, especally the border tiles.
Will soon be making universities, but I was not paying attention and got a shock to see the FP finish. I think I would have switched it to a wonder for Sistines if I was alert. I am not sure what the plan was for the FP/Palace.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav vmxa_space_50 ad.sav (183.6 KB, 3 views)
Old October 7, 2003, 06:46   #17
Mountain Sage
King

Since we were going to bonk some Japanese heads, please find below the short story of the First (and Only) War against Japan (550 BC - 30 AD)

550 BC: I activated the Governor managing citizen moods. With 19 cities, you’ll never know. I realized not many cities had military police in them. This causes a loss of happy citizen, but I won’t spend resources putting MP in every city. I hope to get to Republic asap. In the meantime, I’m putting those MP to border cities.
Since we have do destroy those ‘weak’civs (Japan and America), lets do it properly. I switched all cities improvements (with a very few exception based on shield losses) to barracks and military units.

530 BC: Kyoto finished the GLighthouse. We declared war on Japan.

510 BC: 10+ Barbs Horsemen are pouring down from the north… Osaka is captured. 1 conscript Spearman lost. Traded Literature, contact with America, one copper ring and world map with Sauron for Monotheism. Traded Literature, contact with the Carthaginians, world map and 30 gold for Feudalism with Babylon (they really do not know the worth of some rings…).

490 BC: we march upon Kyoto with 12 Sworsdmen; the Barbs are nearing our northern cities.

470 BC: more Barbs from the West; the Eastern is holding, for now…

430 BC: the N Barbs threat is over.

410 BC: Kyoto has fallen; the GLighthouse is our.

390 BC: the good news is that Nara (Japan) has defeated 8 Barbs Horsemen. The bad new is that now we are facing 2 Spears an 1 Elite Archer.

330 BC: a suicide S/S team came out from Edo… ah, now we have too many workers….

310 BC: Nagoya is ours…

270 BC: our Sages discovered Engineering.

230 BC: we discovered the English lost tribe. Traded Mysticism and Mathematics for all their 155 gold. Traded Engineering, world map, a brass ring and contact with he English for the Republic with Sauron. Traded contact with the English with Carthage for 16 gold. The same with Babylon for 30 gold and the same again with America for 10 gold. All civs except India (2 gold!) are broke.

170 BC: switched to Republic.

150 BC: traded horses and Polytheism for ivory with England.

130 BC: Bat Rays founded on the big island E.

50 BC: created embassies with all civs.

10 BC: Tokio has fallen.

30 AD: Japan is history, and finally a GL! Its use will be determined later…

50 BC: our Galley south saw another civ far, far away… Invention 1 turn away. We are no. 1, including culture.

I lost track on how many times I sold the world map and some assorted techs, but we have now 1’000+ gold. We also have 25-30 cities (I lost the count).

AD 50 +: since our military buildup is now in high gear, let’s bonk some American heads. Maybe later on we’ll find time to build some city improvements.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ms-spaceship-50ad, 50 ad.sav (177.5 KB, 5 views)
Old October 7, 2003, 06:48   #18
Mountain Sage
King

And a screenshot (we have 2 luxuries). We definitely need to expand a bit more...

edit: no screenshot, it's too big; you'll get a proper one this evening.
Old October 7, 2003, 10:33   #19
Mountain Sage
King

The screenshot
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	50ad.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	454.6 KB
ID:	54670  
Old October 7, 2003, 15:29   #20
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

Summary
Eliminated Japan, established an efficient double-core economy, built 25 Horsemen, and saved the cash to upgrade them to Ansars. Switched government to Republic.

Military
We lost 9 Swordsmen in the Japanese campaign. However, the war was swift because barbarian uprisings had decimated Japan, and they didn’t have the cash to buy units (We captured at least two empty cities!). The downside is that just one unit was promoted to Elite, and of course we got no leaders. After the war, we continued building horsemen from our two barracks cities, and saved the necessary cash for the eventual upgrade.
The Arabian army at 50 A.D.:
25 Horsemen (Vet)
4 Spearmen (Vet)
6 Swordsmen (1 Elite)
42 Workers + 9 Slaves

Economy
The palace jump to former Japan allows us to research at a very good pace. We have built several Libraries, Marketplaces, Aqueducts, and Courthouses, so we are ready for a very productive GA.

Exploration
After capturing the Great Lighthouse in Kyoto, discovering all remaining civilization was trivial. Brought Germany up-to-date and traded for her free technology: Feudalism. England had nothing but cash to offer, so we left her backwards.

Tech race
We continued gifting technologies to everyone, while trying to research technologies that the AI was least likely to research. In this block of turns the AI contributed the Republic, Feudalism, and Invention. India will surely research Chivalry soon. We can sustain a 4-turn research pace at a 50gpt loss in income. As soon as India discovers Chivalry, we will upgrade our Horsemen and get a golden age, so we can keep up the 4-turn pace. Gift Invention to everyone and hopefully the AI can get Gunpowder before we discover Printing Press, Banking and Astronomy, but I doubt it.

Trade
We are importing three luxuries (for a total of 5), mainly exchanged for technologies. This abundance of luxuries made it worthwhile to switch to the Republic.

Future plans
Wait for Chivalry (should come soon from India), and upgrade our Horsemen. Probably attack America, even though they have the Great Wall (just conquer Washington first). Use the GA to sustain a 4-turn pace. Continue gifting technologies to the AI, and let them research all the optional ones.

Last edited by alexman; October 8, 2003 at 10:40.
Old October 7, 2003, 15:31   #21
alexman

And here is the save and the timeline.

Last edited by alexman; October 8, 2003 at 10:38.
Old October 7, 2003, 15:48   #22
vmxa1
Deity

Very nice job guys.
Old October 7, 2003, 22:52   #23
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 04:47
Sorry in advance for the brevity of my summary I was more worried about getting done before the deadline

Japan is gone and I placed a couple more cites in their gaps to keep Abe away Chicago also culturally flipped to us shortly before the end of the war, I'm willing to bet New Orleans will too, give it's still small (no temple most likely). Slowly turning the MP/garrisons over to Pikes to free up the horses for conversion to knights. I'm about done with the run of pikes, and will next block build more horses. Note that Basra isn't -really- building the GL this late, that's a placeholder for Leo's - I should have invention done in 5 I'm also trying to make sure we have temples/catherdrals everywhere to lessen the need for MP and getting in a few aqueducts for the cites not on rivers and lakes. Workers ar just about done clearing the jungle and most of our original land is developed, they'll drift up to Japan and get that developed soon. I probably built too many pikes, but paper-thin defense makes me antsy...

I traded up into our current research position and gifted up to Map Making to Germany in hopes they will soon build a harbour so we can trade sliks with them. Only lost a handful of swords to Japan; as in alex's game they were decimated by contanst barb attacks - I didn't get any empty citres tho

Old October 8, 2003, 00:04   #24
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Due in part to 'Poly's problems with downloads, etc. and partly to the fact that there aren't that many turnblocks submitted, I am officially extending the deadline for DAR4 until Thursday at 23:59 eastern time. At that time, no matter what the status of 'Poly, the discussion phase will begin.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:52   #25
ZargonX
Emperor

A little past the deadline, but here it is

Overall

Killed the Japanese, capturing the Great Lighthouse in the process. Have made contact with all civs except the still-hidden English. Forbidden Palace is complete, waiting for a palace jump to Kyoto.

Economy and Tech

500 gold in the bank, with many marketplaces already built, and more on the way. Switching the Palace to Kyoto will help also, and a few more cities should be settled in that area. We are a Republic, and currently hold a 1-tech lead over our closest rival, the Black Land. Gunpowder on the way in 5 turns. 28 cities in all.

Military

Military is still rather small. The Japanese destruction force consisted of only 7 swords and 4 horses, of which 2 horses and 1 sword were lost. However, we did generate a great leader, Uthman! He is currently residing in Bukhara, until it is decided just what to do with him. Rest of forces:

4 spear
2 pike
8 sword
13 horse

however, Mecca and Kufah are now set to pumping out pikes and horses, respectively, every 3 turns. Basra is set to join in, and Yamama can also when the market is complete.

Looking Ahead

Palace jump is next clear step, of course, with a few more cities added to the former Japanese lands. A war to trim down the US would seem advisable, especially with Ansars on the way.
Old October 8, 2003, 00:54   #26
ZargonX
Emperor

and a pic...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	50ad_spaceship.gif
Views:	95
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	54703  
Old October 8, 2003, 00:55   #27
ZargonX
Emperor

And the save
Attached Files:
File Type: sav zargonx_spaceship_50ad.sav (184.0 KB, 3 views)
Old October 8, 2003, 05:20   #28
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Sage
The screenshot
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	50ad.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	454.6 KB
ID:	54711  
Old October 8, 2003, 05:22   #29
Mountain Sage
King

Our military (there seems to be a problem with attachments...)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	military.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	54712  
Old October 8, 2003, 05:25   #30
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Sage
Our military (there seems to be a problem with attachments...)
In plain English:
4 Spearmen
1 Archer
10 Swordsmen
3 Pikemen
23 Horsemen
1 Great Leader
90% are vets
and Barracks in most towns...