Not enough blood and guts 2 15.38%
Too much blood and guts 0 0%
Too wordy, epspecially for a written work 0 0%
Not enough romance 2 15.38%
Stop! Just Stop! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 23, 2003, 17:38   #31
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Much better Joe you seem to have found your flow once more
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 26, 2003, 23:26   #32
joe08536
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:49
A triumphant Hero
Counselor Oberera Theodorius Commissioned this work in 495 bc , and today it hangs on as a wall mural in the Antechamber at the Crucible of the Hero's the famous rendering of Hadrian's Return , note the classical lines and realism popular in the 5th century bc. Hadrian is painted away from us and facing dutifully towards Aurelius and the home cities while the destitute General Trajan, who seems lost between the ruins of his victories, the destroyed Zulu settlements, still looking towards Baepedi at this time his soul all but despondent in remorse for the loss of glory to another, and whole of the image shown, from as if from on high looking down on the whole bloody affair.

It can be seen here that there that the artist clearly saw the promise [the far away valuable resources] and peril [in the all to near barbarians] in this newly available greater homeland.

Note also that there is no hint whatever of the future of Trajan and Hadrian but just this moment captured.

Excerpt of "Great Art of the Republic", Dioclesian Press
Old October 27, 2003, 07:17   #33
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 18:49
bugger, another great yarnnnn

well done
Old October 27, 2003, 21:32   #34
joe08536
Chieftain

Hadrian at Baepedi
A secret report to the Emperor

Your Excellency following the occupation of Baepedi, and in our victory our troops discovered the most dark and foreboding news. Below I relay these facts but cannot convey the gravity and depth of the disturbance these facts have caused amongst all who have seen them and I ask your apologies for the recounting and depiction of these things and the actions I have taken.

It is common knowledge that war casualties are always highest amongst the warriors and the [formerly] able-bodied and least so among the noble classes who surrender. My men swear to me that the noble classes of the Zulu’s were spared the ignominy of dishonorable death but many dozens of the nobles of the Zulu court were splayed and some were ritualistically disemboweled. Apparently, Shaka who was the Emperor of the Zulus’ had been driven quite insane by our victories and he and a cadre of his soldiers were hold up in the City of Baepedi and the Palace herein for a week. We could hear ranting and shrieking from as far away as we were.

The Palace was atop a high bluff and soldiers must scale around the bluff to reach the top. Several members of the highborn were strung up in such a way that when our soldiers approached the 1st group, we heard them speaking and shouting but thought not to listen as their speech was foreign to us we put no meaning to their words as we approached and when we had reached a certain distance from them, a great contraption revealed itself as it was designed to splay the highborn who were strung up and rain their remains down upon the soldiers approaching.

It is thus that we have found most of the capital of this cursed city. Not just Highborn but commoners and others, death was here long before the soldiers of our forces arrived. Our soldiers will not for long occupy the city, for they say it is cursed, and while I am not a superstitious man and have long dedicated myself to the reasoning of the mind, my heart and those of the other officers are troubled, such were the atrocities here, and so I have instructed them to gather any fit Zulu workers for Atlantis and destroy this place, burning it to the ground.

I would beseech the Council to consider that a memorial be placed here in memory of the dead. May their Gods, if they had any, pity them and may the cursed among them find some peace.

Hadrian
1065 bc, Final Message from Baepedi
Old October 27, 2003, 22:28   #35
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Superb addition Joe! keep it coming
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 27, 2003, 22:42   #36
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 03:49
Indeed, there's some quality writing right there. Keep up the flow of goods.
Spore page
Old November 2, 2003, 14:39   #37
joe08536
Chieftain

Master and Apprentice
“Minister Thallia, I’ve brought the list you had asked for.”, ancient Groundskeeper Thallia, had not long now to appoint his successor and he was tired of reviewing the various scrolls of the appointee’s. So much of his important work needs to be handled with discretion and loyalty above all else, [he thought to himself] as he glanced up from his most recent scroll, and looked at the Courier before him, a young man from an important family with influence, no doubt [turning back towards his large desk]. “I believe I have finished my selections but in good keeping, I will review this as well.” [turning and taking the scroll from the young courier then]. Putting the newest scroll down he waved his finger over the pile of scrolls on his large desk. The list from the day before still stuck in his mind, as he rose slightly from his workbench to rummage through the scolls. “Ah, here it is”, [he reached over his desk and grabbed the vitae of the Gregoria], looking at the notes he’d left in the margins, and then turning back towards the Junior Courier, “Here, summon Gregoria of Babylon from the cells of the cloister, I would like to speak with her…privately.” The young couier turned and headed off towards the cells of the cloister, where couriers could rest and read but very little else.

Thallia thought to himself, that this was the most – unusual of the vitae he had seen, certainly one of the youngest applicants, she had been apparently in the care of the Master of Arms at the city of Babylon for some years. Her vitae mentioned a near impossibility, this young woman as a child had been at the Siege of Babylon and fought with the Emperor himself, since the death of her parents on that fateful siege.

She was [despite her age and her gender], taken into the corps of the honor guard of the Governor of Babylon and given the very best education and due to her persistence given formal training as a soldier. Her training had allowed her to pass the rigors of the Courier training with ease. Her education was indeed impeccable as she could break some of the easier codes in her head with only her bead-counter]. Her loyalty would be unquestionable. [Thallia, leaned back into his chair with a small glass of wine from his lunch and sat in some contentment] At last one who had survived the trials of the combat and treachery of the new courier corps training, if she survived the interview she would make an excellent new groundskeeper.]

Gregoria, stepped into the room wearing the caphtan of the novice couriers, and then she saw from across the room, a small,fast motion and the ducked defensively. The blade of the stiletto hadn’t stopped waving from the wooden door where it was stuck, when she had drawn her cudgel and rolled into a small ball, seeing then, the Ancient Groundskeeper, from across the room, and nearly dismissing the action from someone as old as he, looking quickly around the room, she saw no-one else in his ample study, turning back towards the Groundskeeper, he turned and had somehow produced a staff and with his other arm raised and his hand out, smiling…”Congratulations, my dear, you’ve passed.”. [She went to draw the cudgel and lunge forward but thought his ridiculous, assaulting the Groundskeeper?], When Gregoria got into combat situations her body would tense up initially but then become as fluid. Tension had no place, fear helped keep you alive but in close combat she had learned to control her fear, uncontrolled fear was death. This was different, though , there was no honor in the methods of deception and it was the Groundskeeper. She could not, it seemed get that out of her head. “Why did you do that! I should kill you where you stand, old man!” She shouted at him. “Your last test, My dear….Please sit…you and I have much to discuss…”, Thallia said motioning towards the chair next to his desk which was now converted to a table , clear of all paperwork save some neatly stacked papers, some tea and a pen in a small vial containing the grape tannin ink.

“Gregoria my dear, Please sit down.”, Thallia said, again as he sat down in the chair. Gregoria, turned from her crouching position and stood, then, turned the blade again and before sheathing it, said, “I do not understand…turning towards the door and grabbing the stiletto, which seemed to have a greasy look on the blade. “ Thallia, spoke quickly, and said to her, “Whatever you do don’t touch the blade, it’s poisoned.”. Please put the knife over there…“ Pointing towards a large ½ mellon shaped object with two handles sticking out from it.”…Just put the blade into the fruit, the juices of the fruit will counter the poisons in a few minutes.”, Gregoria, turned after stabbing the fruit with the stiletto and went to sit next to the ancient man.

“Do you know why you have been summoned here?” Thallia said, as he reached for a large cup containing the tea and pouring some for her and then for himself. “Not specifically” Gregoria said, “Well, I’ll come right to it then, I’m not just the groundskeeper and the head of the Couriers of the Emperor, there is more to my job than you might suspect”, Gregoria turned from the tea being offered and looked over towards the mellon with the three blades sticking out from it [thinking of the poison Thallia had mentioned] and then looking back at her teacup. , Thallia continued, “Don’t worry the tea is wonderful.” Taking a sip from his cup just then. “Although , I think you get my meaning.”, “You have been chosen to be my apprentice for the next six months or so. You will be my personal apprentice 4 days a week you will train with me and be trained with selected members of my other apprentices, you will travel to each of the cities of the Empire and my apprentices will train you in various aspects and specialties.”, You will also keep your duties with the Courier corps and from time to time handle other duties as assigned. You can forgo the combat training as clearly your skills are sufficient and I think it goes without saying that you will say nothing of this to anyone. Merely that you have been appointed as my personal secretary as I in fact need one. “, turning from her and looking down from her and sipping a large quantity of the tea. In a while, we will meet with the Emperor and that is how you will be introduced. At this time, he knows as much as this.” When we are finished here, you should speak with the Dolcian, a gentleman in the anteroom to the left and speak about appropriate attire, when you are refreshed and ready, we will go”, turning from his tea and picking up the papers from his desk, and reading down the page a bit, “But now drink tea and sit with me for a while, I’ve been meaning to ask you about the Siege of Babylon…”
Old November 2, 2003, 18:41   #38
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Well, I've run out of words to describe the qulity of this writing. So, I opened up a thesaurus, looking for a synonim of superb. Well, one word I found that fits this latest installment:

superexcellent

Spore page
Old November 2, 2003, 18:57   #39
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Fantastic Joe!! infact super excellent as Vovan says

BTW just finished a chapter of "Fight for freedom" Have you read it yet? Id like to know what you think
Old November 10, 2003, 22:36   #40
joe08536
Chieftain

Rex
A Report to The Emperor

Your Imperial Majesty,

Most excellent Emperor, It is my belief that regarding the matter of longevity of the citizenry, there is an unquestionable relationship between those whom are high-borne and those low-borne. High-borne individuals appear to be those with high importance in history or the government. My servants were sent to all of the provinces of the cities and found that the governors and the staff of the couriers and other government officials were most long lived.

I myself have noted that in older days I seemed to age through my youth quite rapidly and since my retention into the service of your court, have found that I do not age as I once did. My friends of long ago whom we dear to me but not of much position have aged considerably.

As when we met many months ago, I have worked under your command and with the understanding and the observation that this matter troubled your conscience and I would like to lay some small part of that concern to rest.

Following your instructions, I have observed the very few, alien Zulu High-borne who were not annihilated during our conquests. They too seem to have a similar condition.

My studies and inquiries lead me to the following conclusions, I believe that all peoples of the world have this condition. I believe that the fates deem some individuals live forever and others live their lives in a brief space of time whether this is a curse or blessing on either account I cannot say. My studies continue but this much seems clear to me at the moment. I will consult with the other members of the Imperial Court when I return.

On the matter of my travels, I will be returning from the new encampments at the shoreline city of Gilgamesh which is where I have been studying the Zulu Low-borne and High-Borne I should be returning to court within a short time from when you receive this message.

Your Humble Servant
Imperial Doctor of the Humours Ichian Hyerdan

It is impossibility, that I find myself writing this letter. My ancient hand is nearly unable to hold the mark to the scroll as I write these lines. My deepest hope is that I have been of some small service to you. I also hope that my service has brought no shame and not dimished your honor in my attempt to serve you, the Court and the Empire.

Magi Logia,

As mentioned in the past, I feel my second son Felix, would be the best possible replacement, he has been in apprentice with the couriers corps for some time now and also, as you know has been at my side nearly constantly these last months. I would hope that he can serve you well as a good and loyal example of the citizens of Dioclesian. It should be noted that Felix has been a favorite pupil of Groundskeeper Thallia.

Your humble servant,
Caphta of Dioclesian, Court Scribe to Magi Reus Logia in a letter to the Magi upon his retirement.

“You, of all know my rule of the people has not always been easy.” The emperor said. “Perhaps a change in the way the people are governed will be good.”, continuing. “…In any event Counselor Hyanda [Domestic], Did caution that the changes were not without three perils. First, There will be a time of – what she referred to as an ‘anarchy’ where the people would likely do no work for the empire no buildings build, no soldiers and workers would nearly stop their work; second that there may be a wavering in their loyalties to the Empire; and third that the rabble of the cities, could present a greater threat and cause disorder in the cities. At the end of all this, a new way of governing would give our people a better way of collecting the resources of the land and providing for the coffers of the Empire. My rule would still be absolute, she swears.”, turning from his scrolls and towards his beloved concubine and realizing just then, that she had the most stunningly beautiful body. That whatever may come, may the fates never separate them. He knew this Monarchy that was all the talk of the scribes and wise men had convinced the formidable Hyandia, he decided then it would be so. Reaching over towards her body and wrapping his arms around her waist and pressing himself to her and moving onto the bed as she embraced him, and then again he kissed her passionately, the taste of her lips was all that he needed then ….It was not but until the morning after and nearly towards the hour of breakfast that the Emperor realized that she had purposefully and willfully not said a word the evening before, the whole while he rambled on, he turned again and kissed her still sleeping form, gently. She was his only consolation and his truest mortal love.

“As the monarch of the realm, I have given considerable thought to the virtues of government, and now believe that an Anarchy is better than no Government at all.” A comment reportedly by the Emperor Joseph of Aurelius asked his opinion of the transition to Monarchy shortly after the first meeting of the Council.

The two great wonders of the cities are now nearly complete; Babylon is producing the Great Lighthouse , the Governor assures me that when completed the skills of the average galley ship should be increased nearly by 1/3 and that the new galleys should be able to travel that much further at least. The Hanging Gardens of Aurelius are also under construction; these magnificent gardens will be the extension of my personal gardens and be open to the citizens.

Also, the cities of Fortuna and Claudius are now in the production of galleys, which can travel the seas and move nearly as fast as the fastest riders across the land.

We have learned from the Great Library of Aurelius that there are at least two other great civilizations, from which we acquired the knowledge of the code of laws but not much else except the names of these civilizations, the Mongols and the Aztecs.

At the court presentation of the new offerings of the scribes to the council, our scribes and wise men have even taken to saying that someday, fearsome riders with armor may be able to be contrived and make fearsome warriors who are as fast as the riders and as deadly and fearsome as the Legionnaires. Minister Pompeii was jubilant at this idea and sent dispatches to all the cities and the barracks.

Our civilization progresses further each day, I feel that we shall soon be able to seek the farthest points of the world and turn back the darkness, which is that of the Ocean seas. The new cities of Gilgamesh and Epictitus have produced their granaries and temples and are now working towards their libraries. I have ordered that the whole of the Army be replaced with spearmen, while Archers are

My concern is that we may find another civilization near our borders and which would have designs on our shores both these Mongols and these Aztecs may prove helpful to our peaceful civilization. But I am also reminded of the treacherous Zulus’. My naïveté regarding the Zulu’s cost the empire dearly and I mean not to repeat that mistake again.

When the galleys are completed, horsemen will be loaded upon them and then set to sea as far away from Atlantis as possible. They will seek out these new civilizations and go unto the darkness and conquer the unknown lands of the world.

Finally, while the scribes are still toiling away at the arts of “Philosophy” and the sophistries of debate and rhetoric, the notes from Hyandia regarding possibility of a new form of “Republican” government were distressing to say the least. This even more advanced form of governance would allow the people themselves to rule. Or rather it would allow the governors to hold elections and a large assembly to be convened to provide guidance and have a degree of control domestically.

I feel this is basically to my liking as the people have thus far never betrayed my trust in them. I can only hope any betrayals I have committed towards the greatest mass of the people are small in the final reckoning of things. And in the matter of betrayals, there are those who have not - in the eyes of many in the council and the court - been properly dealt with; I share this sentiment but there is an appropriate time for everything.

However, the need for my rule to be the law is still the question of the matter. I have scheduled a quiet meeting with Hyandia and selected scibes where we can discuss this matter more completely.

Personal notes on the Council,
Joseph of Aurelius, ca 500 BC
Old November 15, 2003, 01:33   #41
vovan
Emperor

Hey, sorry it's been a while till I got a chance to read this. I saw this the first day you posted, but I hate saying something like: "Thanks for another installment, I'll read it later"

Any way, this is great stuff, joe. Me likey.
Spore page
Old November 15, 2003, 06:30   #42
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Nice development Joe, its flowing great now and the style is proven to be most enjoyable to read Keep up the great work
Old November 24, 2003, 06:49   #43
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

this is good reading... thanks... more please... opps sorry about being so greedy...
Old November 25, 2003, 23:55   #44
joe08536
Chieftain

Pax Mandalgovi
There have been rumors among the common folk as well as the royal court that the fishermen of the harbor in Aurelius had seen strange phantom ships on the horizon, but never had others seen them. Only when the fishermen were nearly to the edge of the ocean-sea did these reports ever occur and even more strangely, these ships seemed different somehow and did not carry the familiar harbor markings that all the ships of Atlantis carry. It is commonly known that ships cannot truly navigate the ocean sea for long so it was always thought these tales were merely an extension of the stories of the “one that got away”.

While our fleet is quite modest, our explorations of the seas around our lands have not yielded any concrete or speculative stories other than these.

Our modest Navy under the command of of a man named Thucyerdahl set upon the rational exploration of these sea tales. What Thucyerdahl discovered was the Mongols of Xanadu. And found this people only a mere day’s travel from the outskirts of Aurelius itself. It was the actual influence of these Mongols that was detected and allowed Thucyerdahl to follow some of these phantom ships back across the sea and to their city of Mandalgovi. There he entered their port city and met with the local magistrates. The first contact was between the members of his ship The Clymene and Spearmen protecting the city.

Credit to Thucyerdahl with the success of this first contact made the suggestion in the court that he should be appointed 1st Legate to the Mongols. Thucyerdahl has thus far not accepted this honor and another will likely be appointed. These Mongols, who view themselves as followers of the great leader or “Khan” as they say a man called once Temujin and Ghengis are a fascinating people very similar to the guards of our cities and certainly more advanced than the Zulu's ever were. They call their homeland Xanadu. The local Khan or "Emir" met with Thucyerdahl and the King will meet with the Great or “IlKhan” at the formal treaty or accord signing and will be embarking with Admiral Thucyerdahl at the earliest possible time.

Upon Thucyerdahl recounting his initial tale to a sealed court, Hadrian was immediately called into conference with War Minister Pompeii and General Trajan, he informed the King respectfully, we should at the least form a more coherent navy and form a barrier of ships to prevent these aliens from coming to our hard fought shores before we have been able to colonize them ourselves. He also suggested that we increase our funding for Settlers and colonists and that we set upon an exploration of the seas beyond Xanadu and the other far side of the land beyond what was formerly Zululand.

Further than the decrees made regarding the Navy, ships in the merchant fleet have been warned not to enter the waters off of Xanadu for fear of their inadvertently causing some disagreement between our two peoples. Their temperament may not be the reasonable approach of common men but perhaps that of even the Zulu’s and this is something, which, all reasonable men would like to avoid.

My mistress Hyandia has been busy in preparation of the proclamations to the cities for the founding of new colonies. Gilgamesh only recently founded, Heuronimus and a city once to be called Imperia will be rechristened Iaepetus as a city on the far end of the continent dedicated to the titanic explorations of the ocean sea and discoveries which await us there.

Xanadu and Pax Mandalgovi vol. I.
by Suetonius Junsa of Claudius,
Official Chronicler for the Domestic Advisor,
Dominicia Hyanda
------------------------------

I met privately with the Admiral for nearly 6 hours this morning and into this afternoon. He feels strongly that since only he met with military men and not the common folk of the Mongol city that there is much to be concerned about. He says that Mandalgovi is neither small nor is it unimpressive, it is a growing and vibrant city. When I pressed him he said it most reminded him of Claudius or Fortuna in his travels of our cities.

The populace he saw were all of a loyal kind but very curious about their ship and his men. He says he saw nothing that would indicate that they are of vastly superior science or knowledge to us but that there were many things that he could not recognize.

He said many buildings were built with mortar and bricks not unlike the Palace and these structures are not uncommon there, here in Atlantis, while not exceptional, mostly wood structures are built except in the case of the temples and the granaries so that was of interest. Also, he said that the ships were very similar in design to ours but that they did not seem as capable in the seas, this may be solely to our training and the knowledge gained by our captains at the schooling available via the Great Lighthouse in Babylon.

Otherwise, it seems that the Mongols were unwilling to share much information. He was at this time unable to answer questions regarding the size of their other cities and other bits of knowledge, which I find myself to be most wanting.

I would be more than willing to trade luxuries of our cities for that knowledge and will be meeting shortly with this Il-Khan of theirs. He also presented the newest map of the world as it has been extended and the scribes have charted it.

I have privately asked for the refit of the twin ship to the Clymene which the Admiral says was commissioned at the same time. Both ships will be refitted as explorer ships and explore around Xanadu and return to Aurelius as rapidly as possible.

Personal Notes
Joseph of Aurelius, ca 370 BC
-----------------------------

The Great Yassa of Genghis Khan of Xanadu.

My domain…the whole of the world will not be changed by these men from the Sea. In nearly the farthest city of the world, Mandalgovi, these men from Atlantis from over the waves come to our shores. I was told their ships were of a kind like not unlike ours. By ship then I will go to the city of these visitations. I will speak with the Emir myself and ensure his loyalties. The codification of my wisdom toward the greater pleasure of God means that all of the world must know of the Yassa of the Khan. In the time of the new moon has the men from the sea promised to return. Then we will know of their Khan and we will meet in the city. I have sent forth for all the trappings of the city to be improved. A guard has been sent especially from the Imperial Keshiks to Mandalgovi to be there within no more than 3 days time.

Our dispatching of the last of the Barbarian hordes from the Northlands of Xanadu is at hand and these Atlantis men are to me no more troubling than these other barbarians. Unless there is the proper respect of the Yassa, they may prove to be the source of more victories for my warriors.

Reported comments of Genghis Khan toward the couriers of the Emir of Mandalgovi.
--------------------------

Last edited by joe08536; November 26, 2003 at 04:21.
Old November 26, 2003, 04:20   #45
joe08536
Chieftain

Res Publica
Res Publica non Dominatur – Reads the carving over the new Amphitheatre which will be serving as the temporary accommodations for the new Senate and the Assembly. The period of disquiet and anarchy which has been mostly the concern of the Council as well as myself is over and after reviewing the reports from the provinces I can say that the decisions leading up to the formation of the republic have been as well heeded by the regional governors as was possible given the circumstances.

The unprecedented level of prosperity and commerce, which has commenced under the new republic, is quite astonishing. The miners and farmers all seem to be very productive and contented. The men of science too appear to be able to gather more information with the benefits of the increased commerce. As a result, we have been able to approach the very cusp of a new age, a dawning of a whole new branch of learning and knowledge for our people.

I cannot argue with the impressive gains of our people in these last 600 years. These years have been the most prosperous and peaceful of my reign. I am proud to consider myself the 1st Citizen of The Republic.

Draft of the 1st Inaugural of the Senate
Joseph of Aurelius ca 250 AD

--------------------------------------------------------

The shore-team and daughtership of the Agrippina have now just returned from the long-range scouting and brought back knowledge of the Aztec civilization. The Aztec are an advanced people easily equal to ourselves in knowledge and much to my astonishment appear to have surpassed us in our colonization of many different land masses of the world.

Where they have been they have dropped colonies whereever they have gone, whereas we have simply explored they have colonized. I suspect that if their colonies succeed in the slightest they could easily surpass us...eventually.

The difficulty is that they must maintain order and defense across such a wide and difficult area to transport soldiers and materiel must be a daunting task. [This was not an observation lost to Minister Pompeii]

As the Fates would have it , the Agrippina found a shaman or priest/worker away from the protection of their armed forces and was able to amicably learn a good deal about the Aztec civilization, culture and calendar. Their gods are different from those of the Atlantean Pantheon as there are very many gods and spirits in their lands the greatest of these is Quetzalcoatl whom has many representations and ways that he/she can be presented. This is not unlike those in the Oracles and Temples of the motherland that feel that Zeus can take the form of many animals and or people. More still, that their gods also are very specifically related to dates of their calendar.

Here we can see a depiction of the date which we arrived (October 26, 230 AD) at their encampment near the shoreline of the jungles of an island which is about 3 days travel by galley from the nearest of their cities but the whole of this route is shallows and easily and safely traversed by galleys of even inferior construction.

The greatest deficiency of the Aztec people is that their civilization is based nearly 2/3rd’s in a vast jungle area covering their home continent. Whereas Atlantis has the Diamond mountains and the Northern badlands, they have no such large range of mountains and have but great quantities of gold but no iron or other precious commodities to speak of we were able to trade with a representative of their leader Montezuma for a map of their kingdom the measly knowledge of a pantheon and the knowledge of polytheism to discover they essentially had discovered this concept, I think that we made the best of this trade considering the circumstances.

Rendering of the date of our first contact with the Aztecs rendered in the Iconographic language of the Aztec (October 26, 230 A.D. ) as drawn by the shaman/priest/workers that we encountered.

As the worker/priest tried to teach us some rudiments of their language

Xihuitl , 11-Calli (Xihuitl – is roughly a year a “sun year” as they said)
Trecena, 1- Ocelotl (Trecena – This is a period of 13 days in substitution of months more or less)
Tonalli, 8- Cipactli (Tonalli – This is the Aztec word for a day.)

I believe that the vast distances covered by our crew and the distance of the Aztecs from their cities mean that we will contact them only on such occasions where we are exploring these far areas of the world. I believe that peace between our peoples is more than possible considering the gregarious nature of the peoples we have met. Our troops left the worker/priest in peace and made for the ship after our initial meetings we departed.

Excerpt from the voyages of the Agrippina
Captain Thesius entry of Nov 22, 230 AD

[Citation for material on Aztec culture :
see http://www.azteccalendar.com/credits.html]

Last edited by joe08536; November 26, 2003 at 04:28.
Old December 1, 2003, 00:57   #46
vovan
Emperor

Hey, I am away for a few days, and there's a spur of activity! Again... Maybe I should go away more often.

Nice additions, joe. I am enjoying this.
Spore page
Old December 14, 2003, 21:09   #47
joe08536
Chieftain

The Tides of Fate
The whole of the council has convened to witness the opening of the new Academy at Aurelius. The philosopher called Sun Tzu is not so much an academician as a councilor of war beyond comparison. I find the teachings in the new Academy are insightful to all great and small in purpose and above all things practical in nature.

The counselors advise me that the people are jubilant in the streets and that there is a great tumult of happiness throughout the land. Productivity in the cities is astounding and civil projects are being completed at a staggering pace.

Notes from the Emperor , Joseph of Aurelius, ca 355 AD
Old December 14, 2003, 22:33   #48
joe08536
Chieftain

The Eve of War
Counselor Maximus Pompeii, (Minister of War) was never a man given to running, but the situation demands that the entire world know what has happened. Huffing and puffing his way down the vast corridor of the Senate towards the Emperor’s Anteroom. While late at night, the Emperor’s custom is to work late into the night on occasions when other matters do not press for his attentions. This night was not however like any other.

The ensuing shouting could be heard throughout the Senate building and nearly from across the Palace Grounds.

"The Damned Mongols mean to attack my city..." , The Emperor continued in a fury. Minister Hyandia and the other ministers sat and could only listen and assent quietly hoping to retain their dignity in what was sure to be a tirade. "There will be repercussions from this attack. It was unprovoked….Yes! [A rhetorical question at this point] Although he stared and commented at Hyandia...No fishermen in their waters, certainly no warships….nothing!!! There was no provocation on our part at all." pacing his throne room, pausing and pointing towards Master Felix then "Direct all available naval vessels back towards Aurelius as soon possible and instruct the couriers to send word to the Governor that this will mean a military build up." turning towards the head representatives of the Assembly "I will command the Governors to produce very many things in the coming days and almost all of them will be war related. I expect no opposition to these commands."

Get the Minister of War in here right now...Turning towards the doorway and noticing that the cause of the evening's debacle had arrived, [the Emperor became nearly deferent to the Minister of War] Ah, you're here, turning towards Pompeii, My dear Minister...If there other way you can prove your incompetence this evening... I would ask you to enlighten us with your plan for such an "unfortunate" contingency.... I suspect however there is none...would you be so kind as to sit down and watch as we work around you.

Master Felix had assembled all of the couriers on the Palace grounds to be dispatched as the Emperor issued commands. "Recall all explorer ships from travel and direct them towards Xanadu....I expect a full Assembly and Senate within three days from now....There are troops enough to secure the roads for transport from the cities, attendance is mandatory. I will not accept a courier in the place of a Senator or an Assemblyman."

Master Felix knowing exactly his timing, spoke then "My Emperor....Mongol ships are reported to be coming across from Mandalgovi as we speak, which may be able to land more troops and capture members of the Assembly or even the Senate.". "That...is an unacceptable argument. [snapped the Emperor] The Army will prevent any damage to the lands and the people. Anything short of complete victory in the matter of landing troops is unacceptable....Why I do believe, it was just this morning, I was told by one of the courtesans that we are in the midst of a Golden Age brought about by the great war theorist Sun Tsu, I cannot accept that somehow in the midst of such a condition that your an answer is possible!!!!"

Private Notes on the Attack at Aurelius ca 450 AD
Hyerson of Epictitus, Court Scribe to Magi Felix Logia
------------------------------------
For the second time in a day, just as Pompeii entered the room, the Court Scribe left in the same room that he Minister of War had entered, the two men nearly struck one another on the passage, another courier - obviously out of breath and dirty from the road , was leaving the Imperial presence after having whispered some comment of critical importance as the Emperor, as his face grimaced and then became as stony as granite and one could see then and there the Emperor’s patience had been tested to the limit.

“What do you mean LANDED…where exactly have they LANDED and what has been done to prevent it!!! Apparently the increases of late for the Armed forces were insufficient to brook even a small amount protection for our citizens. Turning and staring coldly at the Minister of War the Emperor shook his head in disgust and turning finally in exhaustion and dismay at this whole situation, "Leave me now." [needing no excuses and moving like chastened children, all of the Antechamber cleared of staff and assembled guests nearly immediately save for Old Magi Logia's adopted son Felix]....pausing for a long moment the Emperor said quietly Have General Trajan repel any landing troops and call up whatever reserves are necessary...

Motioning towards the Ministers who had just left the room, when everyone has arrived bring the Minister of War, Minister Hyandia, Admiral Thucyerdahl into my Antechamger, and send for General Hadrian when he is finished with the troops. Send a meal up shortly after his arrival and recall the Senate and the Assembly leaders tonight, I will speak with them in the morning....Thank you Felix"

Excerpt from “On the Eve of War“
Commentary on the Memoirs of Felix Logia,
Magi to the Court of Emperor Joseph of Aurelius
Old December 14, 2003, 22:40   #49
joe08536
Chieftain

The Road to War
“And even if he did delight in war, nevertheless he was satisfied when success had been achieved, a most bitter foe overthrown and his countrymen exalted.”

Excerpt from “History of the Republic”
Cassius Dio sic Dioclesian regarding General Trajan

As the dignitaries of the Council and senate moved through the balcony the drums and blaring symbols and trumpeting of the musicians reverberated and the bass could be felt through the marble floors of the Palace itself.

A newly chastened Maximus stared over the Assembly, the Senate and the troops which had been hastily assembled from across the Republic to defend Aurelius beyond the formal assembly walls were crowded many of the citizens of Aurelius whom had stopped their daily lives to hear this moment. "Maximus Pompeii, The Minister of War”, the crier shouted to the assembled troops, some of who were battle hardened already and others who were still green from their barracks training. Maximus waved to the roaring but perfectly assembled troops and then turned towards Trajan who had been called upon to appear if not to speak. "Emperor Joseph of Aurelius”, the Emperor turned towards the right of the assembled group out of the Anteroom of the Palace and stood next to Hadrian. The crowd was still loud and raucous, as they had been instructed that cheering and votives would be permitted at this assembly.

Turning then to the crowd, the Emperor moved towards the podium and began to speak... raising his hands and bringing the crowds cheers down so he could speak…

"Thank you first to all of you here today, the assembled dignitaries as well as each member of the troops assembled here. Most of all I wish to thank those who have given their precious lives for the people of Atlantis, their families and their loved ones for enduring the sacrifices they have made. In my speech, I will be brief. Unfortunately, what lays before us my friends is an even more challenging threat to our people and our very lives than perhaps even the dreaded Zulu. The threat exists now with the Mongol Hordes. These mounted warriors crossed the sea between Mandalgovi and Aurelius and meant only to defile and pillage our fair lands. These unwarranted attacks have been fought, on the land and on the seas. The souls lost in the seas are many and comprise some of the best our Republic has to offer. While our traditions of land warfare go back for millennia, our relative newness to the ocean-sea should not make us shrink in our responsibility.

From the first reports of our captains it seemed clear that the ships of Atlantis were superior to those of the Mongols. This is a strength we mean to capitalize on. We have, for the moment, abated the threat still exists. Our cities produce wonders such as the Sistine Chapel, which is now under construction even as we speak but they also are producing more of our warriors and the skills necessary to produce even more formidable weapons for our defense.

Up until recently, our great Republic had been at peace with the Mongol people and their Khan, since the outbreak of hostilities, we have had to sacrifice many of our citizens at sea and upon the land, soon though we will take our battle to the Mongol Hordes themselves. The conquest of their cities is now our goal; the safety of our people must not take a second stripe to the petty bickering and hand wringing, which many have said characterized the court of Aurelius. This must be the call to arms that frees our people. Victory is our only alternative, an equitable peace is one dictated by our desires and not those of the vile enemy, which has provoked our cause.

To those that would see our cities in ruin and our people in chains, I say long live the Republic, long live the people and long live freedom....I give you now Maximus Pompeii the architect of our defenses...." Applause and cheers rose from the crowd then. Maximus smiled and raised his arm towards the assembled crowd and turned to embrace the Emperor and then turned back towards the crowd and the podium.

"Our struggle is that of survival, our history has been one of victory and success. The commanders of the ships of the Navy have been given orders to give battle wherever it is possible. Our cities have produced new ships for every one the enemy has managed to sink and we expect soon to be able to force two situations upon the enemy, which they can do nothing about.

1st will be the prevention of any Mongols escaping our just cause. The ships of the Navy will blockade the spread of the Mongols to the other lands of the world where there are no inhabitants. They will attack the remote colonies of the Mongols thus trapping them on their homeland of Xanadu.

2nd will be the creation of more armed forces who will take the cities of the people of Xanadu and turn them to our bidding through means of force. Nothing can prevent this inexorable and inevitable outcome.

Victory will be had and Victory will be on our terms and most importantly Victory will be brought about by what we do here today. So I say to you On to Victory!!!" The crowd assembled broke into applause and cheers and the crowd of citizens started to shout On to Victory..."

Proceedings of the Court at Aurelius ca 450 AD and
Private Notes on the Attack at Aurelius ca 470 AD
Hyerson of Epictitus, Court Scribe to Magi Felix Logia
Old December 18, 2003, 14:20   #50
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Great stuff Joe please keep it coming
Old December 19, 2003, 22:09   #51
joe08536
Chieftain

Kanum Kotan
The Kuriltai and The Khan met for several hours discussing the various merits of the invasion. This matter was one of the highest principle, the Barbarian peoples in the Foreign lands of Kanum Kotan must be brought to bear before the Khan, their defiance of the Yassa of the Khan, and the obvious failure to pay homage. We must therefore attack into Kanum Kotan against the Mongke Tengri-Yin [roughly divine but evil spirits of a foreign land] and it is the most pious responsibility to respect the Mongke Tengri-Yang Kuchun-dur [roughly divine good sprits of the homeland.]

These were the passages etched into my memory as we crossed the sea from Mandalgovi towards the Kotan, These foreigners in their ships sped quickly away from us as was the few instances when we came upon their ships on the horizon. The Sa Noyan has said that the Keshik of the Khan shall defeat the defiling and dishonorable “Atlanteans” as they called themselves. The captain of their ships said they would be men of honor. These were all lies since they have not made the tributes to the Khan and there has been no Tithes to either the Khan or the Emirs clearly they defy our will and the will of the Khan and even the will of the Kuriltai.

For me however, our Yassa is the most important of things, and these things are of no importance to the barbarians. For these reasons we must bring their cities to bear under our Emirs and make by force their people pay proper respect to the Yassa. The Bogul Baligh (Slave Cities) of the “Atlanteans” will be brought to bear and the people , brought to know the Yassa.

These are my thoughts as we cross from the ships now onto the lands of Kanum Kotan, I will see you again soon my brother. May the Monke Tengri-Yang bring much joy to you and your new bride. I look forward to meeting her. The Noyan, is calling for the night shift warriors, I must go now. Write me when you receive this letter.

History of Xanadu, The Yam, Letters of the Mongol People
Tayicha Hoelun, Sa Noyan of the Baran-Gar Keshik
Personal Letter recovered from the body of a Yam courier at the Battle of Aurelius , 454 AD

Baran-gar – Right wing of the Army/Keshik
Kanum Kotan – common reference to Atlantis proper or any foreign lands the texts are not specific.
Kuchun-dur- Homeland
Kuriltai- Roughly equivalent to our Assembly or Senate in it’s composition of nobles or warriors.
Historians debate the details on this point.
Monke Tengri translates literally as “Everlasting Blue Sky” but might be considered divine force, which has a light and dark side.
Mogul Baligh – Slave Cities – It was widely believed among the Mongol warrior class and the general citizenry at this time, that Atlantis was a despotic regime of a fallen Emir and all the citizens were actually misguided slaves. Despite the sometimes-autocratic rule of the Emperor from time to time, it is fair to say that such was not the case during the Mongol War to any extent which reasonable observers would view as excessive.
Yam – An organization of couriers or horsemen similar in some respects to our courier services.
Yang – Literally “The light side of the Mountain” or good or warmth. [see also Yin]
Yassa – Laws of the Khan, Great laws – Similar in concept to our Suppellex Sic Licentia of our Republic , little is known of the specifics of the Yassa but as many of the correspondents seem to indicate that some omission of protocol and or perceived failure on the part of either the captains of the navy or the Emperor it was a significant cause for the outbreak of war.
Yin – Literally “The dark side of the Mountain” or evil or cold. [see also Yang].

It is interesting to note that Sun Tzu the great philosopher of war used these terms as well. It is suspected that he may have been either of Mongolian descent of from as he says “Chi’n – or the middle kingdom”. While historians have never found references in any texts to such a civilization. Speculation is given by some scholars that the Mongols may have conquered Sun Tzu’s homeland sometime after his departure and the Mongols may have instituted an intellectual purge. Such an event would explain the relatively late contact between our peoples given the proximity between Aurelius and Mandalgovi.

The decisiveness of the battle of Aurelius is unquestionable, None of the Keshik(s) which landed survived and only one of the three Mongolian vessels entering Atlantean waters survived and returned to Mandalgovi severely damaged, as this is beyond the scope of our texts, we suggest the incomparable Janus , Naval Vessels and Naval Warfare 500 BC – 500 AD, Aurelius Press.

The madness in our bravery, all were defeated by the Yin…super Keshik, a counting…a counting of men which ….was too great… All of my dear Keshik brothers are dead. I lay writin[g]…certainly dying as I write this. The doctor says my ….wound is mortal….My love always to you my dear…Pray that we meet again… Monke Tengri… May this … Monke Tengr[i]…Yang…message get to…my love… may the Ancestors have…. [sections with … contained characters indecipherable]

- A direct translation of an unfinished note written to unknown parties, which was obtained by the courier services after dispatching the last of the Yam. Clearly this message was written after the 1st wave of the attack of Trajan’s Army and must have been in anticipation of a retreat of the Mongol forces from Atlantis.
Old December 20, 2003, 04:30   #52
Paddy
Prince

Thank you for adding more and more,,,,

yet still the crowds call for more... ok I am a tad greedy today
Old December 20, 2003, 06:30   #53
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

This is excellent stuff Joe, clearly you have really put in the effort to research your subject
Old December 20, 2003, 14:48   #54
joe08536
Chieftain

The Prometheus and the Hermes
I moved among the men on the lower deck of the Prometheus. The new deck hands were merely boys from the docks at Aurelius, probably 5 years younger than I. When the refit was finished the 1st mate had to replace the two men that had been lost on the previous voyage, and the navy is conscripting workers and soldiers and sailors from everywhere it can these days.

We had already drilled at least 4 times in the last since leaving port. The crew steward, nevertheless gave our final tour if you could call it that, a heavy older man from Claudius who it was said had seen too many battles and now viewed his job as a guide of where and how crewmen might die.” “The cold of the sea is the worst of all”…”the wind whipping across the waves is remorseless and biting.” All of us are frozen nearly where we sat. Turning back towards us boys, “The wood of the mast was from the great forest near Claudius. The wood is from a huge oak tree as it is too large for one man to put his arms around except for Uran, the giant from Fortuna, just don’t upset him and you’ll do fine…” “You’ll train with him on cargo loads and such…and then with the others upon the deck, as runners and fetchers…But you’ll have to deal with the cold like everyone else…”. Turning towards the galley, “As you can see, with the fire burning low in only the galley and even that is kept to an ember lest any smoke get up and away from the ship and give away our position”, turning away from the new recruits and heading up the small stairway that lead to the upper deck.

I thought to myself, “We could set the whole of the foredeck alight and the wind would still carry our smoke away without a trace”, and as we appeared on the foredeck with us the ships courier and the 1st mate were signaling in the cold light of the early morning and just then they could see that over the horizon were other ships. And then there was a rush of activity among the officers as the crew as the ship was brought out of the wind and more directly towards their quarry. The great immovable mass of the mast started to creak and groan as the whole of the mainsail and some odd extensions to the mainsail were extended, they rippled at first but then snapped taught in the wind. The steersman moved the ship ever so slowly away from our previous course and towards the small bump on the horizon. Now there and now again gone.

No order was given then, to prepare for attack, however, this must be the rendezvous that the captain had mentioned several hours before, Our ships were not to attack alone any more, after the Minerva, and the Agrippina were lost in single combat, and then the Hesperus was lost on routine patrol there was consideration of a change in tactics but not until the Admiral’s flagship the Clymene was unexpectedly and tragically ambushed as she was practically in the port of Aurelius, did the new orders come. After many minutes, we could make out her name sail the AG Hermes, was to our port and turning with us out of the wind but then we saw in the dim morning light, the red flag above her name sail, she was under attack!!

The shouting of the officers was fast and furious, the mainsails were set into the wind and all of a sudden men who had been sleeping minutes before were running about and preparing the bows and the racks which contained the armaments. A large stick which to my untrained eye looked basically like an overgrown arrow but that the blades were covered in a goo of black pitch and the sap from the trees which smelled horribly. These were placed into large contraptions of string and twine.

Our ship, the Prometheus was turned then nearly into the back of the Hermes along her aft and port side. She was moving but not so quickly as before. One of her sails was on fire and the crewmen were desperately trying to put it out but were obviously failing. Little bits of fire could be seen falling all over their deck and into the ocean around them.

As we got closer I saw the shot of a large piece of wood protrude from the bow of the Hermes, as she lurched to a near halt, it was a spearhead but it was the wrong size. Nearly the size of our foresail mast, this was the front of the ship of the Mongols. It had rammed the Hermes and now we could see the men of the Hermes start to turn the arrow banks and grab swords where they had been trying to remove the flames from their ship, now they could be seen to face towards their bow and the starboard side of their ship. In the smoke and fire which now alighted our ship aplenty, it was difficult to see but all of us were now on deck running about and preparing our own ship for battle.

Rapidly the 2nd officer turned to us, and shouted, two older boys were told to go below and bring up all the arrow packs, As one of the smaller boys I was told to catch the arrow packs as they were thrown up to me from the decks below, this was an easy task as the older boy below would simply throw them up and they would land, But I must then throw or push them to the two other boys on the decks who would run the arrow-packs around the decks as needed. I may also push the packs to the nearest arrow banks. I had been onboard the ship only few days and we had done this drill 4 times already. Each drill had lasted nearly ½ an hour and so I could almost be considered clumsy as opposed to completely useless in regard to my small tasks.

And we were getting close to the Hermes and the un-named Mongol ship, We could hear the men shouting some in the familiar dialects of Aurelius or Babylon or what I would come discover was the strange dialect of Dioclesian but there were also the other shouts of the then unfamiliar Mongol language. We saw a great many of the Mongol warriors tried to go upon the Hermes but all were summarily impaled by the arrow banks, Just then I heard the captain give the order to light the forward group of our arrow banks afire. We approached the Hermes so closely now that you could see the faces of the men and their actions very clearly. We could also see that the Mongols who had not noticed us, until this moment had started to point towards our ship.

The officers of the deck brought about the men from the Army, these 2 dozen men were not sailors as such, but merely passengers, or perhaps it was the other way round, we were merely sailors and they were men from the Army. As much as I pride take pride in our Navy, these men are the wind in our sails when it comes to battle. Either way they were huge and looked a fearsome sight, each had a long sword, a staff of some sort in their backs and rope with a hook on one end.

A great heaving towards the bow of the Hermes was heard and the cracking of impossibly thick pieces of wood was seen and heard by all. Just then a great many things happened at once, as we came around the port side of the Hermes, the captain ordered that the arrow-banks fire and that the burning arrows aim high. As the bow of our ship came from behind the Hermes, the arrow banks loosed their deadly payload.
For myself, I had scrambled to the foredeck and was put to the task of running some of the pile of arrows forward, to the first boy. I was able to take some of the arrow strips, which had been thrown up in my absence and moved the pile to the arrow banks nearest me.

As we were completely exposed to the Mongols bow, we could see that both ships were mortally wounded; The Hermes crew and deck were all clearly visible as the aft end was much higher in the air than should be the case. Her bow had a gash of huge size right in the starboard side and she was heavy in the water. The Mongol ship was not nearly as damaged but the small fires on her sails were now taking hold and small bits of fire were now raining down steadily.

Unfortunately for her, she was unable to extricate herself from her kill and she was also now tilted forward in the water. But you could hear the creaking of the ships and knew that it would happen that she would break an even greater wound into the Hermes in time. Her soldiers were nearly completely engaged with the crew and soldiers of the Hermes and could not prevent our soldiers from throwing grappling hooks towards the top of the Mongols ship.

We had not even one arrow come across the ship for a long moment and just then, like great flying dragons, our soldiers swung across onto the Mongol ship. All was confusion now as the arrow banks were abandon and the large pikes we had seen the day before were brought to bear, these were meant not to attack but merely as a strong motivation for the Mongols to stay off of our ship. The first and seemingly last of some fire-arrows from the Mongol ship landed on deck or overshot the ship entirely.

The 1st officer ordered our sail down and doused with water. This entailed another job small boys can do well that others cannot – at least in theory. The boys from below had come up on deck and we pushed the remainder of the arrow strips towards the arrow banks and we all came to the port side of the ship, Our job was not to bring the sail down, for this is what sailors do and we are merely boys, we can, however, get water.

It was now our job to put bales into the water and pull them up. If I had, until this time thought that I was cold, I was mistaken. I pulled with the other boys the large cloth sail bag up from the port side of the ship and the sail bag must have had a hole or tear or something because it came up rapidly from the ocean and promptly covered us in a spray of icy salt water.

It seemed to me, an impossible problem and there was no time to figure out how to balance the sail bag, until the two older boys looked at each other for a long – horrible moment, looked at the smallest of us and picked him up and, told him to hold on, no matter what, and over the side they sent him, into the water, he functioned as a human counterweight to the water. Up he went to the top set of the mast and down he was lowered. However, by the third time this had happened he was completely blue and shivering uncontrollably. The older boys grabbed him from the ropes and placed him down on the deck as he lay there shivering uncontrollably.

I stared in utter dismay and confusion until I found myself being bodily put onto the sail bag with a hole in it and told to hang on, no matter what! More or less I was dropped remorselessly into the frozen water, I remember the horrible cold of the wind, the burning cold of the sea, seeing smoke and flame and curiously, an older dark man with piercing blue eye’s who I later found was the main rigger. I don’t remember how many times I was in the water but it seems to me now, entirely too many.

The next thing I clearly remember was being on the deck frozen to my core. It was shortly afterwards while the three smallest of us were still shivering incoherently in a tightly huddled mass in the corner of the aft deck when the 1st mate came by and congratulated the older boys for their quick thinking. He looked at us and started laughing – which I though was particularly cruel and heartless then said – take them below and get them warmed up, right now – at which point I thought the 1st mate was the kindest man I’d ever known.

The rest of the day was not nearly as unpleasant.

After the battle, men were sent to scour the Mongol ship for anything that looked useful or unusual and to take survivors aboard. The Hermes however, had turned, with her aft section upside down and men scurrying about. It took until nearly the evening for men from our ship and the remainder of the crew of the Hermes to retrieve what they could from her insides but she was lost nonetheless. Of 75 crew, only 15 remained her captain and 1st mate were killed but the 2nd mate survived all told we only brought 4 wounded from the Hermes and they all died in the night. The Mongol ship Siregün Luu [Strong Dragon] was towed for nearly ½ the night but the captain ordered her burned and sunk after she was too slow and heavy in the water from numerous small breaches in her bow. The captain, courier and three of the army officers guarded the remainder of the Mongol crew who were on deck the whole way back to Aurelius.

The Prometheus and the Hermes a chronicle of the sinking of the Hermes, February 10, 482 excerpted from the "Diary of Theanus Jovan", Dioclesian Press

Last edited by joe08536; December 27, 2003 at 14:16.
Old December 27, 2003, 18:15   #55
Paddy
Prince

Bring it on Joe...

I see you have edited here today...

Enjoyed reading your work...
Old December 27, 2003, 22:22   #56
joe08536
Chieftain

Annual Report to the Emperor
A Report on the State to the Emperor

Domestically, and militarily we have until very recently been in a surprisingly good state of affairs. The age of our merchants and workers happily producing has allowed the cities in the provinces North of Fortuna to prosper and do well, roads now connect all the cities of the homeland and we can say without reservation that the sciences and arts progress rapidly in the first cities of Atlantis. Gilgamesh and Heuronimus have come along splendidly and the newly founded Kittahmer promises to one day be a great city, and while it does not boast a port, the lush countryside and mountains and nearby steppe are merely awaiting the arrival of workers to allow their bounty to be brought forth for the good of the people.

Economically, of late however the workers appear to be as content as they have always been but not perhaps as productive. It is thought that this is a temporary downturn and that our exceptional economic successes will continue in the near future.

Internationally, We have had little contact with the Aztecs and have even been able to re-deploy some explorer ships to continue the search for new lands and new civilizations and push back the darkness of the ocean seas.

The state of the war effort has gone well, despite the heavy losses at sea, the prosperity of the cities has up until now allowed us to keep pace with the heavy attrition. Of late however the merchants and the workers do not seem as productive as once they were. The recent advances in the sciences however may allow us to start to refit our fleet of ships as Caravels, which should be able to cross the open seas a little more easily and carry more troops and materiel. Most of the naval vessels close to the shores of Atlantis have been recalled to the Mandalgovi Straights and will be refit as Caravels in either Epictitus, Aurelius or Babylon, as you may well be aware, Dioclesian and Claudius as well as Fortuna itself have been nearly dedicated to the development and deployment of troops for the war effort. The land forces have met with no further resistance from the Mongol Hordes.

With the recent discovery of iron ore deep within the old badlands, near Kittahmer we believe that once workers can start to mine this area that we will be able to press forwards and press the attack to the Mongol homelands of Xanadu.

Annual Report to the Emperor & Senate from the Council of Ministers, December 485 AD

-------------------------------------------
Secret Report of the Courier’s Guild

The age of our outstanding military and economic advances appears to be in decline. We are hopeful that the technologies related to Iron may assist greatly in the war effort. The Embassy in Tenochtitlan reports no activity of concern and trade as increased of late. The concern of the Guild is regarding the Navy and the Army. The recent Naval losses are unsustainable and we fear that we must act quickly or we may loose the hard fought gains and advantage of the seas. While opportunity may again avail itself in naval concerns should we falter, The Army and specifically the recent behavior of General Trajan are a cause of concern to the Guild. Ever mindful of his activities, we have taken appropriate measures and will keep the Emperor informed should the situation deem such action necessary.

Minister Gregoria to the Emperor
Private Correspondence
------------------------------------------------
Report from within the Guild

A great day has come to our people but we cannot report such activity back to the normal channels. The Naval vessel AG Hermione was on routine patrol near the southernmost extremes of the Mongolian cities, returning in fact towards Atlantis. When word of the grievous losses of the Minerva the Hermes and the other ships of the line were made known to the crew after the rendezvous with the courier ship Achillies, the Hermione’s captain redirected and landed troops upon a remote hilltop of the Mongolian homeland of Xanadu and conducted raids. Among the party were a contingent of horsemen and a spearman. The crew of the Hermione witnessed the landing and the subsequent loss of all who were put ashore, while initially it was thought surprise may have won out, within a few hours it was clear that element was exhausted.

It has caused the Khan reportedly much distress and may have caused the governors to shift some production away of naval vessels in the near future, since the ship’s landing parties were scarcely two days from the capitol of the Mongols and within the boundaries of the city of Ta-Tu when they were destroyed. The Hermione remains on patrol between Ta-Tu and the southern colonies of the Mongol Empire.

Guild Courier, AG Achillies
January, 486 AD
Old December 27, 2003, 23:26   #57
joe08536
Chieftain

Assembly of the Armada
Admiral Thucyerdahl paced in his office in Babylon, he could see out into the bay as the slips were all full of the refits and the building of the new Caravels. The harbor was a forest of masts and every one had men crawling about upon them. Just he turned back towards the long hallway from the main anteroom of the lighthouse complex.

His faithful assistant who had, once upon a time, been his cabin boy so long ago aboard the lost Clymene had now and in the fullness of time become one of his most trusted advisors. His training at the Imperial Couriers School had helped him prove to be a most able administrator in his own right arranging all of his personal affairs and schedule during this time of war. ”Cardith…What is it?”, Captain Cardith turned and said “He’s here.”

With no further explanation, Hadrian had turned a corner and appeared and he was headed down towards the hallway in long strides, apparently alone. Thucyerdahl dismissed Cardith and the Captain snapped to attention and left just as Hadrian had entered the room.

“‘Cyerdahl, Will they be ready?” Hadrian’s voice was stern and a sort of resigned calm as the sea on a windless day. The admiral sat and motioned for the great hero to do the same as he looked up he smiled ever so slightly in ascent.

Hadrian looked out from the vantage of the Lighthouse and believed it could be so… The Armada to take them across the straights, was nearly there before his eyes, only a week earlier he had been in Aurelius and seen much the same sight but not from such a commanding vantage (as the port of Aurelius does not afford such a view from the city itself, however the view of the city and the harbor are well known to be spectacular from the mountains nearby).

I have an unusual and difficult assignment that I must ask of you and I’ll get right to the point. I want to know of your two fastest ships, I need those two ships to come to port and be prepared; I will have men meet them at the docks in 4 days. Tell no-one of this.

Meet with the quartermasters personally. Make sure that the boats are provisioned with the very best foods and wines that the city has to offer. While they are here, if they have any needs take care of them. I have already spoken to the governor as regards their arrival. The captains will be given instructions once they have put to sea and should return within but a few days but may not return at all. Even as I know the trouble the losses of late have caused you, I ask this as a favor, old friend.

I have asked an even more difficult request of those men and I view them as heroes simply for accepting my request. While you cannot inquire as to their mission, I can tell you that these men may likely hold the keys to Mandalgovi.

Hadrian at Babylon, and the Fate of the Achillies
- Personal Memoir of Thucyerdahl Admiral of the Navy
Old December 28, 2003, 05:07   #58
Paddy
Prince

very good, thanks
Old December 30, 2003, 21:43   #59
joe08536
Chieftain

Just before the dawn
Just before the dawn – after nearly two hours in the field Trajan had paced up the whole of the old Palace and back again. Still, his mind was still on fire, almost all of the servants had left on various tasks and none would be back for at least 3 days and so at this moment he was alone and without peace of mind. His reviewed as the officers had drilled the troops this morning and he believed the troops to be in such disarray as to be almost bordering on insubordinate or incompetent or both. Thinking to himself that their lack of preparedness was most troubling. A forced march to the sea and through the waves of the high tide will be sufficient to bring them around, he thought. As he then sat and stared blankly across one of the many conference tables near the War Council Chamber, he could hear the troops of the army in their formations reviewing and drilling still. He still could not help but feel that his actions are so much like they were in respect to the Zulu’s, and look what happened there. So much failure, so much lost opportunity…so much for bringing the “people” around, the Emperor clearly viewed the entire war with the Mongols as a failure of the two peoples to view the perspective of the “other” side and was clearly confused and a liability of the greatest proportion. No the Zulus may have been far more trouble than they were ever worth to him, but the Mongols, therein lay the opportunity of the modern age.

Trajan closed his eyes tightly and sat in the head chair and thought, he had long since viewed his greatest failure of the Zulu Campaign as the incident at Babylon. Had only there been more time, all of the difficulty of the years, which have since passed, would be gone. The emperor had his distractions aplenty now, mass delusions for the people in the Senate and the Assembly. None of the “people” have ever served and borne blood for their homeland. None but a few have known the sacrifice of war. What do they know, only their precious illusion of freedom and avarice, the merchants and guildsmen of Babylon are the most despicable of all the thieves. They do not understand the real truth of the world the cost of their decadent and indulgent attitudes will be death. They would be a complication, but only insomuch as the Mongols might sue for peace or present a less than worthy opponent, his reports received from the couriers guild assured him that nothing would come of such a concern as peace.

Trajan turned and muttered aloud and the again louder then “I must know”, how long until this agony will pass until these delusions set aside and a new dawn of order upon the land. The thoughts now crowded in his head as so many things undone often do.

Cichophys his loyal servant must find them, he had left nearly a season ago and had two times written for more money and more money again. Trajan knew from his own experience that the alleyways of the old city of Aurelius that they were not to be found there.

He tried then to clear his mind of the troubles and began to mentally prepare. He knew that soon enough, Hadrian would be in Aurelius, returning from Babylon after pandering to the damned Governor again. The intolerable and greedy fat man, Baradine has this look of contempt every time we have met and he found himself desperately then, wishing that there had been but just one or two more casualty at Babylon, so many years ago.

He thought then of the morning revelry, there had been talk from all of the recent recruits assembled in the Barracks stations, that they would be leaving., and the money seemed to be going to Ta Tu or Hovd. But any fool with ½ a brain and even a cursory inspection of a map could see that Mandalgovi would be the place. But to think they would cross to Mandalgovi is a fool’s errand and certain death to any who tried. Trajan consoled himself that it would be a fool that tried and he would not be that fool under any circumstance. Hadrian was incapable of doing anything. He wasn’t a proper General but had been given the title as an honorfic. So as far as the greater fool, Trajan felt at last , Hadrian would serve some final purpose. As for the troops, well, the troops would be useful when the time came. The next attack would be soon now, the navy had been all but defeated and Thucyerdahl’s incompetence all but an obvious fact to everyone.

“M’Lord”, Trajan turned from his contemplation and back towards the far end of the conference table where two of his senior officers were entering the room. “The troops are ready for your inspection”.

Last edited by joe08536; December 30, 2003 at 21:50.
Old December 31, 2003, 07:29   #60
Paddy
Prince

Thanks Joe, looking forward to your next contribution.

Hope you have a great New Years