Stop! Just Stop! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 31, 2003, 21:32   #61
joe08536
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Dark horse
The nature of Trajan’s character has become of a larger concern to me than I believe we can allow for much longer and appears to be more troubling than we had thought. His brooding and disquieting manner to all who have met him in these last years. Those such as your Excellency and Governor Baradine as well as Hadrian and the rest of the Councilors have long known the nature of his character, fortunately, the Senate and Assembly are by and large blissfully unaware of his true history and glibly digest the popular sentiment, that Trajan is the 1st hero of the Republic.

But I fear that soon, not even the popular sentiment can shield the most recent behavior from scrutiny for long. The masses are becoming more and more literate and it is only a matter of time before they discover his true nature. Most likely this information will come from the soldiers who have been in contact with Trajan’s Army , reports include comments such as “I view them [Trajan’s Army] as though they were the Army of another people” and “…their devotion and loyalty to the General is unshakable…” and the officers comment (although quietly) of the “…dire harshness of discipline” and “…extreme rigor of Trajan’s corps….far beyond necessary means”. I could continue but the sentiment is largely the same. I urge your excellency to consider speaking to the General regarding his motivations.

Correspondence between The Emperor and the Minister Gregoria, Date Unknown (presumably before the Armada set sail)

The sweat beaded off of Kyril as he slumped, onto the raven black neck of the great mare. He was exhausted but if the mastery of these new war-horses was successful then all of the Army could ride upon them. He was bound to the great mare as if he were part of her or she him. Her movements were in synchrony with his desires, almost as if the mare read his mind, she galloped along the steep hills of southern Claudius and he could see clearly the city itself and the harbor beyond as he lifted his head and then his torso up and let the cool air pass into his chest. The air nearly stung from it’s coldness but it still felt wonderful. Turning then from the hills towards the footpath which had been made by the other horses and riders as they covered this very same terrain, picked to test and train the horses for the best of the breed. The harsh mountains are an area where they should be at least able to approach and every group of horses is training nearest the very peaks of the mountains now. Soon now the mares would be sent to all the cities and the new Knights would be able to join the military. He thought then that he might even join himself. The research corps had been a wonderful experience but he yearned to find more adventure and wanted to see the world. It was then that he decided, he knew the mares and stallions were ready, he himself was ready.

Kyrils’ Journey
Dioclesian Press
Old December 31, 2003, 22:15   #62
joe08536
Chieftain

Knights of the Republic
The new Knights had been prepared, recruits from all across the cities were no longer being trained as mere Pikemen but as these new Knights. The officers had even been volunteering for these new units so fortune has smiled upon the entire endeavor in that they were able to be so selective that only the most adept riders and skilled men with pikes would be allowed to form the heart of these new units. And so it was that through the honor of their previous service, and their skills that there was forming corps veteran of Knights for use throughout the Republic, wherever they may be needed. While it was still early, he had heard that Trajan’s Army was out on it’s exercise of the day and as he looked, the dawn sunlight could just be seen came just above the far southern wall of the palace grounds, streaming golden rays through the Emperor’s beloved gardens and towards the area where now the troops were beginning to muster.

Turning then , one of the couriers motioned for him to proceed up the stairwell to the colonnade and the anterooms of the Barracks where he could get some much needed breakfast. Soon enough they would be putting to sea and then to the shores of Mandalgovi at the earliest mention of the Achillies.

Private memoir , Hadrian
Old January 4, 2004, 07:40   #63
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
Cracking stuff Joe, loving the intrigue and the build up to the invasion. Doing a great job with the characters, its thrilling stuff
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 4, 2004, 23:40   #64
joe08536
Chieftain

The Decision on Mandalgovi
Trajan returned from the march along the shoreline, and left the officers to tend to the matter of the troops. While he found himself somewhat tired and a chill was definitely in the air, the afternoon sun had brought about some small warmth provided you were in the direct sunlight. Moving with a deliberate manner through the colonnades of the Barracks which lead to the Old Palace, he moved into the old War Chamber and was greeted by Minister Logia.

Logia’s large body was nearly flaccid upon the ancient dais as he raised his glass towards Trajan and then he motioned over towards Hadrian’s lieutenant for him to fetch Hadrian from the Map Room, which was adjacent to the War Chamber.

Hadrian entered moments later followed by Minister Hyandia and Minister Delila Orphea the Minister of Trade and Resources, and Sidonius Mirus the Minister of Science who, I must confess is seldom if ever at these meetings but given the recent advances in armaments and the upgrades to the Navy his counsel was eagerly sought by Minister Hyandia as well as Minister Logia. It was then that I sent my courier Hyerson to notify the Emperor as quickly as possible. The Emperor had arrived quietly during the day before and had not met with anyone, instead hoping that the impasse between the factions of the army and the ministers would work itself out. In the event this was not the case, he would make the final decisions.

“Good day to you, General”, Hyandia said as she entered the room, “I hope you will allow me the indulgence of your valuable time for some guidance on matters which I personally feel are very important.” Sitting, regally at the left head, of the table, to the left of Logia and obviously too close for General Trajan’s comfort. She herself was implacable in her manner. Hadrian, quietly sat across from her and nearly directly across from Minister Logia, some distance further down the table, the other ministers assembled next to Hadrian.

Hadrian put his hand out in greeting to Trajan and Trajan accepted, then turned from Hadrian acknowledged the assembled ministers and sat down.

Hyandia wasted no time and noted that she apologized that were pre-occupied in the Map-room discussing “the various merits and problems associated with possibility of founding a colony near a source of iron-ore which was far to the East of the Homeland” (see Survey maps from the AG Icarus) but which could help ensure the success of the War effort in the event the mines near Kittahmer became barren with time.

“In any event [she proceeded] this is not the matter which I mean to concern you with, The emperor has asked me to negotiate any disagreements that might be apparent between the two of you. Specifically, could you please explain, your apparent lack of confidence in the decisions leading up to the collection of the Armada and the buildup of the mounted troops of late. I find it of great concern that you and Hadrian do not see eye to eye on this matter of great importance. And while, I would be the first to agree that this is not a domestic concern, The Emperor felt that I might, in the capacity of a negotiator, clarify any misgivings you two may have with the direction of the war effort.

Trajan, then most unexpectedly, touched her forarm and ran his fingers down her arm and lifted off, as if to comfort a disquieted lover. He turned then to the group, and said “My dear ministers and esteemed colleague, [directing towards Hadrian as he stood], I believe that the development of an Armada to defend the homeland is of obvious benefit to all concerned. The tragic losses of many of Admiral Thucyerdahl’s brave naval officers and crews are testament to the ongoing threat posed by the Mongol Hordes. Also, I believe that the enhancement and development of the mounted Knights and the new Infantrymen, as well as the advances of gunpowder will allow us to defend our homeland with increasing effectiveness if nothing else.” [turning then towards the map which had been laid across the marble of the table and drawing his arm towards the tactical map of the Mandalgovi Straights ]

"No my friends, my sole concern for the direction of the war effort at this time, is the apparent decision to invade and occupy the coastal regions of the Mongol City of Mandalgovi. It is in this decision that I believe there has been a tragic error in judgment. I feel strongly that such an invasion would offer nothing but a ruinous loss of life and materiel. Surely we would be repeating the failure, which the Mongols themselves demonstrated at my very hand here in this very valley. While the proximity of Mandalgovi is tempting, it is an illusory goal, since the whole of the Mongol Empire would be thrust upon the soldiers who dared step foot upon their soil. The stories of the death of all who landed at Ta-Tu testify, abundantly to the assured loss of life to any who trespass their homelands. I believe that a defensive war is not unwarranted and is perhaps even desirable. I feel that it would be disastrous to offer battle there and would very much like to here any suggestions which could alter this inevitability as I see it.” Trajan moved back again towards the head of the table, and then to his seat, most of the assembled group nodded in assent and then turned to Hadrian, who stood, looked at Trajan nodded and pursed his lips in an act of almost assent to his speech.

He then quietly went and looked over to the table map and said, “Disaster....true enough...[Pausing and looking over the assembled guests]…No one said this would be an easy campaign. But this is not an easy war and my strategy is the lesser of two evils.” [He walked over towards the tapestry map of the world, which had been brought out of the Map-room by his lieutenant shortly after they left the room.] The Mongol Empire is growing faster than our Republic. Our intelligence from the Navy indicates that they have founded three new cities….[walking towards the map and pointing at the notations of the new Mongol cities].”

“The AG Hermione has engaged and sunk at least two galleys headed for the southern islands, which have nothing but shoals and shallows between them and the Mongol homeland. The Hermione surely will be either destroyed or eventually must be recalled due to it’s extreme age. Frankly, the Navy is in such poor shape and has taken such very heavy losses. When I spoke with the Admiral recently, he expressed grave concern at the loss of so many ships and men, as you [gesturing toward General Trajan] have expressed.”

“Moreover, he expressed near desperation, that he might not be able to continue to produce defensive results at sea for much longer. He also expressed the serious concern that until now, the Mongols have been unable to apparently ford the deep sea and certainly not the ocean-sea which even we have difficulty traversing. Science has so far been a powerful ally, which I believe the Admiral rightly considers an edge we dare not allow the Mongols to attain….It is this reason alone that we must consider an invasion. I am also concerned by other reports from the Navy which express the growth of the Aztec Empire, While we are at peace and enjoy good relations with the Aztecs at this time, The Mongols too were once our fast and dear allies. An alliance between our present enemy and our present friend would surely spell the doom of our Civilization. That is I believe the most compelling reason for invasion.”

Trajan looked around the room, seeing that he had nearly lost this argument in it’s opening round, and before Hadrian had even sat down, started into him “How many would you expect to die on this fools’ errand?! [ and it was clear to all assembled that this discussion was about to get ugly.] The two heros stared at one another for a long moment and no-one said anything. Hadrian again pursed his lips and said “I cannot say…I can say that we will take every possible measure to ensure the success of such an expedition….In fact it is already the case that steps ARE being taken…Turning from his locked gaze and staring at the map of the Mandalgovi straights….Believe me when I say that I personally would die with the men which land there. Would that satisfy you, General? While you may not agree with my decisions, I am more than willing to die in those decisions.” [his voice raised ever so perceptibly as his expression became somewhat exasperated…] and then he struck home.

“You can sit there assured in your Army’s invincibility, but you cannot be everywhere at once….You can offer no guarantee that Khan’s men of science are not at this very moment discovering some clever way to sink our ships more effectively than they have so far. Or finding some way to ford the ocean-sea and then what would become of your “defensive war”, we would be unable to defend our homeland from two landings. Or Three….Need I continue. He stormed towards the world map, noting that we have not discovered any other lands which can be brought to the benefit of the Republic and assure a victory in a timely fashion. We cannot allow the Mongols to become more powerful or contact the Aztecs and you would sit there and allow such actions to occur by virtue of your inaction.”

Hyandia went to speak and began to rise when Trajan’s gaze towards her was as though he had willed the formidable woman back into her dais. Turning back towards, Hadrian, Trajan nearly stood and braced his arms against the marble of the large table before him, this was directly in Hyandia’s face, such that she had to lean backwards to avoid his arm touching her face. Trajan said, “Are you finished?!” [Hadrian turned and stared at Trajan nearly exasperated…] “Are you completely finished!?” I suggest that you might have considered the fact that we could always invade. A shock force delivered at multiple points across the Mongol Empire would destabilize them as assuredly as your grand Armada in one place, we can then demand whatever the Emperor feels is appropriate. But your suppositions and theories are fanciful flights. I submit that I will not participate in such a farce without any consideration for the realities of the carnage you will inflict” pausing and lifting himself “Also, to your point as to whether your death would satisfy me, I cannot say that it would, primarily because I will not be there to see it, but you can rest assured that unless the Emperor directs me, I will have no part in your crusade of foolishness [raising his arm towards Hadrian then] and whatever ill-conceived steps you mentioned before, have not come to my attention and must therefore be even more foolish than the efforts you’ve mentioned so far.”

Note, Hadrian recalled being stunned, at this verbal return, [Having spoken with him before his departure to Xanadu], Stating himself, that since none but the Captains of the Musketmen knew their destination to Almarikh and they had already put to sea that Trajan’s supposition off the cuff of such a strategy was but an inkling as to his undeniable military genius.

I surmise however that despite their personal differences that these two men were far more similar in their gifts than either man would ever readily admit. Although in their future decisions, would become horribly stark in their contrasts. Now to me, it seems that this point the strategy was not so much a mark of genius as a mark of necessity.

Trajan continued [Turning then to Hyandia and the other members of the Council] “I think we are finished here. You may tell the Emperor that I will not sanction your `Fool’s Crusade` and that I think it is an ill-conceived plan. I think that is all you may wish me to say about this matter at this time. Furthermore, I will not tolerate any deviation from the blockade of the shallows of the homeland. I will personally meet with Admiral Thucyerdahl to assure myself that he is not completely without sound military counsel.”

Turning at last to myself, Trajan said “I expect that the Emperor will want to hear from me regarding this debacle. You will give him my regards, and tell him that he has my apologies but I will not be found culpable in assisting such an inexperienced warrior such as him [motioning towards Hadrian] in such a certainly disastrous campaign.” And then Trajan turned towards the doorway and stopped.

“Well, I’ll take that into consideration.” The Emperor materialized in the doorway followed by the Empress. Raising his arm then and putting it on Trajan’s shoulder and pursing his lips turning Trajan back towards the assembled ministers and Hadrian. Facing the crowd, the Emperor then said, “I apologize for my melodramatic arrival…but I was unavoidably detained..[turning towards the General]…I would appreciate that you determine the force you feel comfortable with, in order to defend the homeland, the rest will be given to Hadrian’s Expeditionary forces. If he fails, then you will know that you were right in your assumption. It will be the death of our soldiers and the destruction of the Admiral’s proud fleet but the failure will not be yours. Hadrian nearly cringed at this statement. “However, should, Hadrian’s Campaign prove successful, you , General find yourself in a poor position to capitalize on the victories which would follow”.

“Otherwise, I suggest that old palace is too small for such large arguments as the one’s I heard on the way into the room. I expect both of you gentlemen to be at your best behavior this evening at dinner. I feel however that you might at least talk to each other about this and not grandstand like this. “

Turning to both Heros, The Emperor turned and said, “Please leave the grandstanding to me. Given the performances in the Senate of late, sometimes I think, even this activity will be lost to me soon enough.”

“I will meet both of you privately…Now. [turning to the main table]… Everyone else may leave the esteemed Heros and myself.” Turning to the Empress saying quietly “I’ll be up shortly, my dear” and then back towards myself, “When we are done, make sure the Ministers are all available for dinner in two hours’ time.”

Excerpt from the Epilogue to “On the Eve of War“
Commentary on the Memoirs of Felix Logia,
Magi to the Court of Emperor Joseph of Aurelius.

Last edited by joe08536; January 5, 2004 at 00:24.
Old January 5, 2004, 00:12   #65
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 18:49
Thanks for this, sitting here at work and needed something to get my mind elsewhere... wow.

You are very inspirational in your writting.
Old January 5, 2004, 00:40   #66
joe08536
Chieftain

Thanks Guys
The horrible truth of it is that when I look back at this story (which I actually think is way too long somehow).

I find that my best stuff is the stuff I don't think about too much ahead of time. My brother read this puppy and commented that it needed more maps/pictures so in the next few installments, that's exactly what you'll get.

Thanks very much to both you and ChrisiusMaximus and the rest of the forum for the positive feedback over time.

Happy New Year and Best Regards,

Joe
Old January 5, 2004, 06:52   #67
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Thats good advice from your brother Joe

At times you have got quite intricate with this one, all the different views and letters found from characters of the other side etc etc. Its amazing stuff to read and you do a great job of delivering it all, but the pictures make it even better.

So three cheers for Joe's brother everybody will three thumds up do
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old January 8, 2004, 02:42   #68
butlerj1982
Settler

well done
i do not consider myself to be easily impressed by writing; in fact, most of what i have read on here is not very good. However, this story is well done. The only suggestion i would make is to avoid run-on sentences. It seems in some places you get excited about the action, and, especially when describing battle sequences, forget about commas and linking conjuctions. While this is not a huge problem, as we still know what you're saying, it does detract a bit from what otherwise is a very good narrative. Additionally, you may want to work on avioding repeating words. In one of the previous passages, for example, you repeat "shiviring uncontrolably" twice in the span of a single sentance. This is not to detract from the overall quality, which is excellent, not somuch in the technical details, but in the creativity of the story. well done, and i look forward to hopefully more.

this story is not too long. The rest of the stories on here are too short!

more maps would be great, and i like the way you link to them. Could be also effective to have an updated map of the world "attached" to every "State of the Empire" report. Just a thought.

well done, give us more.
Old January 8, 2004, 05:39   #69
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Joe, you are binging out maps, that is great.

I am looking forward to that, and the fact that you are going to write more, thank you. I enjoy reading your work alot.

edit: OK, I feel challenged, in a good way, to get a pic or two up myself...
Thanks, I like growth...
Old January 13, 2004, 00:39   #70
joe08536
Chieftain

Ministrations of Trajan
You guys are a bit scary, A state of the state kinda thing, that's exactly what I had already written up and basically had been preparing to post.

---------------------
All war is based upon deception

- Sun Tzu, "The Book of Estimates", The Art of War.
Enscribed in the walls at Sun Tzu's Academy in Aurelius
---------------------

A Secret report to the Emperor

It has come to the attention of the Guild, that there have been strange activities south of the area of Aurelius, notably, there have been instances of tracks and trails left along the beaches of the shorelines, which are formed only at night, and lately only during the darkest days of the months. Given the present state of war between the Mongol Empire and our Republic this is a cause of concern. Normally this would by itself draw no conclusion but we may speculate this may be of a clandestine nature.

Disturbingly, this coupled with the find of a decomposing corpse on the coastline. The corpse was not apparently very long at sea as it was largely intact, and was found amongst other flotsam and wood, also with the corpse was a series of parchments, which contained strange glyphs and writing. Our scribes have yet to translate the writings but they do not appear similar to any known Atlantean codes and may be of Mongolian origin. This begs the question, what was a courier doing sending messages between Atlantis and Xanadu.

Intelligence Report between The Emperor and the Minister Gregoria
---------------------------------------------

We put to sea from Babylon and had all the fineries of the city upon our ship. The captain and it was said even the Admiral were on board earlier in the day. It was said that shortly before I returned, there were even the most beautiful of women at the docks before the 3rd bells rang and some have said they are still aboard but this would be, of course, a bad omen.

The 2nd mate asked the captain and me at dinner if it was true. Saying that “The men were talking”. I severely scolded him for bringing scandalous rumor and speculation up and followed that of course there were no women aboard ship. However, I myself suspect the opposite to be true.

The contingents of new Musketeers have all boarded and they look a tough lot. All of them have meritorious citations and were dressed in dark – blood red uniforms not the customary bright red as we wear. They are oddly preoccupied to a man and nearly all of the junior men among them stared long and hard at the shoreline and harbor as we departed in the last hours before sunset.

The captain has said we will follow the Achilles and stay in close formation and throw a rope when we loose the light shortly. We have been ordered to carry no firelights of any kind, save for our kitchen fire and our sails have only now been ordered changed at sunset to those, which were brought aboard, I supervised their stowage and the sails soon to be unfurled have been stained with a tannin which made them nearly purple in the sun.

1st Mate’s Personal Log
Theanus Jovan of the AG Hermes, ca July 830 AD

-----------------------------

Minister Pompeii waddled into the room and found Trajan in a near panic. He had been summoned by the General some time ago and although he would not say what the trouble was, Trajan looked like a man wild with thirst and was utterly distracted. Pompeii motioned to the servant to get some water and wine. Trajan’s behavior was cause enough for him to partake of the old Capital’s finest vintage. “What is it my old friend….?” Pompeii said quietly. Trajan looked at his Minister as if he was trying to determine the most expedient way to dispatch him. Squinting hard and determinedly, he said, one of my private couriers has gone missing on a very important mission and I cannot find him. It is critical that I find him. I have dispatched nearly the whole of my Army to find him.

Pompeii looked on in near astonishment. He felt that perhaps Trajan had taken leave of his senses as the Army was nearly the only thing left upon the mainland at this time. So much had been committed to “Hadrian’s Crusade”, as many in the Minister’s office had come to call this strategy.

It had been rumored for a long time that Trajan had let the Zulu’s attack Babylon a second time. The loss of life included the governor’s daughter and nearly included the Emperor himself but Pompeii could never come to believe such wild stories as that, but were it true, it would explain why the Emperor never took Trajan at more than arms length for any task or advice. Such a loss of faculty and composure, as presently was the case, was unbecoming to say the least.

As Pompeii moved towards Trajan with a goblet of wine, which had just been presented to the Minister, Trajan swung his arms and nearly knocked the large Minister to the ground in surprise. Trajan turned then to the Minister and said, “I must find Cichophys”. There has been no message and no request for more money in some time.

“Trajan, Drink this wine my friend…” The rotund Minister was nearly paternalistic in his request. Turning, Trajan said “Yes, Thank you….Thank you very very much…Have you heard from Babylon?”.

And then as if nothing whatever had been troubling him, Trajan turned with an inquisitive look upon his face, as if he was trying to change the subject [or had forgotten the original subject altogether], although it had struck the Minister, just then as if the question was posed out of the clear blue sky. “No…I haven’t, do you expect word from Babylon?”, The minister said quietly.

“Yes…I have spoken with the Admiral and asked for a ship to be constructed to carry my Army across the sea….I had seen the new Caravel’s but I fear, even they, could not even carry my Army.” I will need a special ship made for the task. “But I thought…”, stopping then the Minister held his tongue and thought it best not to bring Hadrian and the events regarding the invasion into the mix at the moment. Trajan interrupted, “Yes I know, the Admiral thinks me a fool but I myself could not see a way to make all 3 of the officer corps of the Army fit upon one of the damnable things”.

“You know that If they do not return within the day, I must make for to Babylon and search for the answers myself…It’s simply what must be done.”, The Minister turned from Trajan then and began to suspect that perhaps he might be mad… Trajan took a long last gulp of the wine and motioned for more. Turning back towards the Minister who had perched himself against the side of one of the marble daises, Trajan then said, you know “I still think Hadrian will die within sight of Mandalgovi” and alas I will not be there to see it, but what the Emperor does not know that I will take all of Xanadu by storm when I arrive there.

The minister turned from his perch and said “Was there anything else that you wanted to discuss Trajan?”, “Discuss?” Trajan said almost inquisitively, "No I think I'm done for the morning.".

The minister turned then and went to consult the palace guard privately and inform them that Trajan was not to be disturbed until the elements of the Army returned.

Ortea Liran Personal Servant to Maximus Pompeii
Private Memoir, 855 AD

------------------------------------
Old January 13, 2004, 13:17   #71
Paddy
Prince

Thank you Joe, thank you indeed.

I again look forward to more.
Old January 13, 2004, 13:43   #72
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

HMMM what is Trajan up to? has he been selling information to the Mongols ? or has simply lost his mind ?

This is bang on stuff Joe
Old January 16, 2004, 23:33   #73
joe08536
Chieftain

On Hadrian's Expedition
As per your request on our readiness, I have listed in summary the forces committed for Hadrian's expeditionary forces. This includes the following personel and materiel

Ship - Personel
===================
AG Argos - 3 Catapults
AG Atredian - 3 Knights
AG Auriga - 3 Knights
AG Chronos - 3 Longbowmen
AG Hephestus - 3 Longbowmen
AG Jovus - 3 Longbowmen
AG Minerva 2 - 3 Medieval Infantry
AG Pollux - 3 Longbowmen
AG Titania - 3 Knights
AG Triton - 3 Knights
*AG Prometheus - Hadrian
- Severus the Warrior Lord
- Hadrian's Persona Guard (Knights)

Additionally, I have been informed that

AG Hector - 3 Musketeers
AG Achillies - 3 Musketeers

Are assigned for expeditions in the areas of the unoccupied steppe of the Aztec frontier.

Admiral Thucyerdal also reports that

AG's Diana, Casandra, Hebridies, Hermione and Charibdys are assigned for patrol duties and may engage the enemy at will.

A report regarding the disposition of the domestic forces awaits the approval of General Trajan and will be forthcoming at the earliest.

Memorandum to the Emperor
Minister Maximus Pompeii
March 12, 855
Old January 16, 2004, 23:52   #74
joe08536
Chieftain

The Return of Cichophys
A nervous and disturbed Cichophys moved quietly among the old arbor trees of the Old Palace garden, his hood still covering his head. "M'Lord, I've done as you asked but I....must beg your forgiveness.",

Trajan sat in the alcove next to the low broad tree which was bushy and had a reddish nut which was almond shaped, turning to Cichophys he said, "And why forgiveness?" ,

Cichophys did not hesitate, he knew that it was pointless to delay the news any longer. "By a most ingenious method sire, I had an associate slip aboard their ship and put the saltpeter and the sulphurs aboard, and when they started their kitchen fires aboard their ship it would certainly burn under their bow to a bomb which had been placed there with a pitch and hook which was devised to sit under the keel of a ship. And as they would not alight their fires too close to the shores of Atlantis it can be assured in these cold sping days they would assuredly light them once safely over the horizon and there the courier of the Emir is..."

Trajan stirred and stared -- tired of this long explaination and weary of his servant's machinations, interrupted abruptly and in a hushed stern voice, "You killed the Courier and blew up their ship, and lost any chance of a smooth victory for me in Hovd!"

Staring away and now throughly exasperated and a little more disturbed than might otherwise be the case, Cichophys, stared rather blankly at the General, "But how did..." Pausing then for a moment, [For a master spy , far too many people had been able to predict his activities of late and Cichophys began to profoundly doubt his skills. The General now apparently being among the prescient, disturbed him ever so slightly at a very deep and personal level.]

Trajan interrupted again, "Well , your right about one thing... The courier MAY be dead and his ship certainly destroyed, but you're quite wrong about one thing....it was much closer to the shore than you imagine and troops from my own Army have been sent by the Magi and the Ministers of War and the damnable Domestic Advisor to determine a cause for this flotsam which appeared but a few days ago...There have even been rumours of bodies and the cursed couriers have been scouring the shorelines ever more persistently." It may be only a matter of time, and I am reliant upon the skills of that damned incompetent of an Admiral in Babylon to fulfull my destiny in Xanadu. And speaking of my destiny".

Trajan turning and pursing his lips..."Do I dare ask what you did to the witches?"

Cichophys, sensing the overall situation in his world could be, in so many ways - much better than it was at this moment, crouched slightly closer from the General and said, "That is another ...",

Trajan interrupted again, "If you tell me you killed them, I don't know what...",

Cichophys, cut the General off [pleading as if trying to grasp a large and impossible concept] "My Lord I am confused by that which I saw. I am convinced as well...but...they would not see me.", pausing then as if lost in thought.

Trajan said "They? You did speak with someone then?"

Cichophys, looking up towards the general still as if confused, "She knew I was coming...She Knew. She had the particular spice tea that I always enjoy waiting for me and insisted that I take some, as if proving her gifts. When you sent me on this errand I thought it a fools errand....but now...now I'm sure it was not that...but I'm not sure what it was..."

Trajan turned said "A she again!? Talk sense man!!!",

Cichophys, looked away from both of them, still profoundly disturbed, "There are 5 of them , but only one spoke to me...Only one would speak at all. Another served my tea, Both were women of extravagant beauty but also they looked terribly ancient in some way much the way the Emperor does from time to time. In this the old legend legends must be true, you know the `The daughters of mankind. Cursed to see to the end of time. Each an oracle, until their kind are no more.` But only the two spoke or interacted with me at all. The others kept well and away, hidden in shadows.....And she called me by name....How does anyone call me by my name! I had gone in stealth....told no-one and left without speaking to another soul that lived to tell the tale....and yet she somehow knew everything."

"They....found me, as I was returning here this afternoon, in Aurelius! I was returning to you regarding the Courier and to tell you that I had not found the witches, when I saw a woman - who was one of them, at the Tavern at the edge of the old city and I followed her."

Cichophys turned directly towards him and stared in his eyes with a resolve of a newly discovered emotion which very nearly bordered on fear, "...and they KNEW you! Or rather they said that, `they would not speak but to my Master` and they sent me on my way. And in the last moments before I left, they said that You [Trajan] must see them `Before the horsemen cross the sea this night.`, [Trajan went cold then...] They made me swear that I would tell you exactly that last part....How would they know...They said they would be in the old city this night and be gone again, such that not even I could find them again.... and I believe them"

Trajan now focused as he had never been, and knew that it was mere hours before dawn when Hadrian would set to sea, with the bulk of the Knights, and he turned and said, "I will meet you near the market in 2 hours time. Cichophys, you and I must be in the old city within an hour from then.". Cichophys,nodding, turned from his master and went to run a tab at the local tavern near the Palace before their nocturnal trip looking for things that should not be found.

Last edited by joe08536; January 17, 2004 at 00:11.
Old January 16, 2004, 23:53   #75
joe08536
Chieftain

Epiphanies of Trajan
It was now nearly 1am and nearly the whole city was asleep save for a watchman here and a late night traveler there scurrying home in the darkness of the night. Nearly ready to return they moved across the open marketplace and it was then that Trajan and Cichophys both saw a flutter of movement down an alley.

Both men had been cloaked and while Trajan carried a sword from his personal collection, Cichophys was armed to the teeth but moved as a cat through the streets of the city.

As they approached, they saw a woman at the end of a very narrow alleyway and carrying a small torch.

As they moved down the alleyway, the shadows cast by the flames upon the walls of the buildings were, odd and there were forms that moved but not in concert with the flames it was if the flames were some seconds behind in their flickering in difference with their shadows.

Just as they approached, a feminine voice from all around said loudly "Only the hero must proceed". Pausing at a turn in the alley, Cichophys visibly relieved stood his ground and said "I'll just....I'll just wait here..."

Trajan turned back and nodded in ascent towards him and drew his sword. Turning then around the corner of the alleyway and continuing down the long narrow passage following the woman who now stood near a small fire which was at the end of the alleyway in the center of an open area.

As Trajan came upon a larger opening and many tall heaps of the sackcloth which were piled some as tall as men, these are of the common type, which are used in the marketplace outside the alleyway.

This was a small gallery or cul-de-sac with no other exits than the way he had entered. And as Trajan entered the gallery, he saw the woman, who seemed at once to be standing near the fire and again lost in the piles of sackcloth.

It was thus that they all appeared to him, sometimes he would see a woman standing as surely as if standing next to them and then turn to find only sack-cloth and shadows when he turned to face them.

A voice called from corner of the cul-de-sac, a whispering, which sometimes was audible but which never came quite to a point of intelligibility then like a small voice from different directions they came, two of the sisters on either side of the man.

Oracle 1 : A low whispery voice from above and across the cul-de-sac was from a woman with an olive complexion and dark eyes which were set upon Trajan unflinchingly looking perhaps a bit like the Courier from Mongolia)

Oracle 2 : A quietly enchanting voice which seemed and appeared to both men from across the fire was from a woman of dark - almost bronze complexion who had raven black hair and steely black eyes)

Oracle 3 : A dark shadow of a woman whispering between them both from behind and who bore a striking resemblance to the Empress)

Oracle 4 : A nearly masculine but sultry voice which became coherent from the left belonging to a woman who looked quite dark and when Trajan saw her he knew her to be Zulu)

Oracle 5 : A low and soft voice from the right, belonging to a woman with features not unlike the Mongol prisoners which had been paraded before Trajan but which were distinctive and subtly different somehow.

Oracle 4. "You seek the future, you seek knowledge."
Oracle 5. "Our sisters see but only now three."

Trajan said then "I am here" the mumbled whispers from all directions became nearly a cacophony of disparate voices and clamoring of wailing and it was clear that this was not to be a conversation.

Oracle 4. "Hero of the Republic hear now your heritage."
Oracle 5. "We see only what is and that which will be."

Again there was a return to the mumbled whispers from all directions for a long moment and then

[Voices of the Oracles of the Future]
Oracle 1. "Cities fall and Empires follow."
Oracle 2. "In the north there will be a great tumult and war."
Oracle 1. "Of heroes there is a plague."
Oracle 3. "Your reign will start in Xanadu."
Oracle 2. "In the south there will be a secret of death."
Oracle 3. "Two armies shall see the blood of a city disgorged by the monster."
Oracle 2. "And the news of the monster will cause the empire to quake."
Oracle 3. "After the messengers, of the people a number shall be counted."
Oracle 2. "And the monster is revealed by the counting."
Oracle 3. "After the counting, the great leader shall be inconsolable."
Oracle 1. "And the Republic will fall but a new order will follow."
Oracle 2. "The monster's fall will bring water in the city of the New Palace."
Oracle 2. "And the daughter of Babylon shall kill him."
Oracle 3. "An age of man will pass before you rest in a New Palace."
Oracle 1. "The great monster will haunt the empire forever."

-----------

Oracle 1. "Cities fall and Empires follow."

Trajan thought to himself, [This is no revelation of course it is always this way]
-----------

Oracle 2. "In the north there will be a great tumult and war."

Trajan thought again to himself [This could be anywhere, In the past in the northlands of ancient Zulu Territory or a landing in northern Atlantis or perhaps northern Xanadu]

A quiet of the whispers which was nearly silent and only the soft noise of the fire and the crackling of the wood was heard for a moment.
-----------
Oracle 1. "Of heroes there is a plague."

Trajan thought then to himself that [there are but two "Heroes" and this is hardly a plague upon the land, although perhaps they shared his misgivings for Hadrian?]
-----------
Oracle 3. "Your reign will start in Xanadu."

Trajan's immediate thought then was [At last something worth knowing!] but it began to dawn on him that he would actually gain his rightful position in Xanadu!
-----------
Oracle 2. "In the south there will be a secret of death."

Trajan thought then [In the north there is war and the south there is death, there is nothing, which could do this, but a disease or pestilence, perhaps this is of what they speak? Perhaps a disease, which strikes the Heroes and the Armies of Atlantis!]

A quiet hissing and quiet wailing could be heard among the whispers.
-----------
Oracle 3. "Two armies shall see the blood of a city disgorged by the monster."

Trajan immediately though [that the witches were speaking of himself and Hadrian both as the leaders of armies? Conceding then, to himself that even a modest lack of failure at Mandalgovi would probably assure Hadrian became a full General if he survived the initial attacks and made it to the ships alive, but monsters, perhaps there were great beasts in Xanadu of which they knew nothing]
-----------
Oracle 2. "And the news of the monster will cause the empire to quake."

Trajan could not as much as he tried make sense of this other than to think that the beast monsters of Xanadu must be very formidable indeed.
-----------
Oracle 3. "After the messengers, of the people a number shall be counted."

Trajan saw this as one of the Emperor's dangerous distractions with Elections and the republic.
-----------
Oracle 2. "And the monster is revealed by the counting."

Trajan saw then that the monsters would attack Atlantis.

The whispers of the cul-de-sac had become audibly louder but were beginning to ebb.
-----------
Oracle 3. "After the counting, the great leader shall be inconsolable."

Trajan thought then, only dimly that perhaps this is the fall of the Emperor here in Atlantis! The emperor himself would be a final victim of his decadence of democratic ways and the people's will.
-----------
Oracle 1. "And the Republic will fall but a new order will follow."

Trajan knew that the only Republic in the known world was that of Atlantis. It seemed surely that the Emperor and apparently the Republic itself would fall!
-----------
Oracle 2. "The monster's fall will bring water in the city of the New Palace."

Trajan though then [Again with the monsters, but they are defeated at least]

The whispers around the gallery now were becoming less loud and less clear.
-----------
Oracle 2. "And the daughter of Babylon shall kill him."

Trajan thought this statement completely preposterous; Babylon did not have many prominent women and certainly none in the service of the Army. The only "Daughter of Babylon" was the beloved daughter of the Governor who was once called that, but she died in the siege of Babylon many years ago.
-----------
Oracle 3. "An age of man will pass before you rest in a New Palace."

When the voice whispered this, it caught Trajan by surprise...He would lead the Empire? He would found a new palace!?"
-----------
Oracle 1. "The great monster will haunt the empire forever."

Finally Trajan said "I will here no more of your nonsense monsters!".

The fire at the center of the gallery/cul-de-sac flashed brilliantly for a moment and then went out. Trajan's sword now was useless as his eyes adjusted to the near total darkness and he felt his way along the alleyway.

The whispers of the cul-de-sac and alleyway were silent and as Trajan rounded the turn in the alley and caught up to Cichophys, the two men turned to one another and looked back behind them and saw the woman who had led them into the alleyway was now, carrying a small torch outside the alleyway and in the marketplace looking down the alleyway towards them.

Both men hurried down the alleyway, as she left their view towards the open square, and when they looked out upon the square there was no-one there at all.

They turned back towards the alley that was dark as it had been when they had left it.

Cichophys said that he could hear voices but could not make anything out. The voices had been slowly becoming coherent and then loosing their intelligibility for nearly 1/2 an hour by each men's reckoning.

Last edited by joe08536; January 17, 2004 at 00:12.
Old January 17, 2004, 06:58   #76
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Fantastic stuff Joe!! Ive got absolutely no idea what will happen next !! Gripping, Exhillerating!!

Definitely looking forward to some more
Old January 17, 2004, 10:27   #77
joe08536
Chieftain

Perhaps.
[btw , thanks]

Last edited by joe08536; January 17, 2004 at 13:16.
Old January 17, 2004, 13:58   #78
joe08536
Chieftain

The small hours of the morning
Neither man said much of anything upon their return to the Palace. Although when they returned to Trajan's Private Villa at the far end of the Palace Grounds, It was nearly 3 in the morning and soon Trajan could expect the Officers and servants to arrive soon to prepare the morning meal. However, nearly immediately Cichophys made a bee-line for the stock of fine wines and liquors which was stored near Trajan's private study, his hands had been shaking badly on and off since earlier this afternoon and his encounter with the witches.

"What did they say to M'Lord.", Cichophys asked?

Trajan removed his scabbard and sword and then turned towards the wooden chest himself , grabbed a small glass and poured a small amount of a "hard" clear liquor which is made from the starchroots grown in the northlands of Claudius. He shot the drink back in one gulp and said "Nothing....Everything...but almost none of it made much sense but I can recall each moment with such clarity...." and at that he nearly lept across the room to a small desk which contained a pen and paper and he moved the lamp from a nearby candelabra and began to write the memory of his encounter down, saying then "I'll be with you in a minute Cichophys, I want to get it all down.."

After writing for a few minutes, he stared at his writing again and turned to look up at Cichophys who was sitting with a bottle of wine and trying to pour it steadily into a cup. I’ve copied it here as best I can recall, but still only parts of it make any sense.

Turn the paper over to the nerve-raked spymaster, Cichophys seemed to be nearly trying to hide behind his cup of wine and was hunched over, he looked over the cup and to the scroll paper which Trajan placed before him. Scrutinizing it and reading it quickly he said “They all spoke to you!?” Looking up at Trajan, who had begun to move back towards a dais in the side of the room, exhausted and confused. He looked over at the window and saw that it was still as dark at it had been when they had first arrived and internally he knew that it must have been nearly coming upon dawn. “Did they say more than this...?”.

The two who approached me from the sides, did not speak of things in the future but made statements regarding known things, but both did so contemptuously – almost as if I was at fault for some great personal loss of theft of an object of their affections. No, I don’t think they said anything useful at all…. They said “Our sisters see, but now only three - I think that only three of the witches said anything useful, if in fact…any of them said…anything useful…at all.”

Turning on the dais, “Cichophys, I don’t think any of this changes anything, anyone with ½ an eye can see that my superior military skills will allow me to do great things but I simply cannot stand to wait any longer.” taking the scroll up and turning then to go towards his private chambers.

Trajan turned as he left the room, “I will sleep until mid-morning. Tell the officers when they arrive, that I will not be disturbed. Have one of the servants bring a meal around mid-morning, and do us both a favor and stop drinking. I need a servant who can be as agile in mind, as in body and right now, you are precariously close to neither of those things. Send the orders and get some sleep yourself - goodnight”.
Old January 17, 2004, 15:40   #79
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Nice stuff Joe, the plot thickens! I cant wait to see how this develops
Old January 17, 2004, 15:51   #80
joe08536
Chieftain

Deception at Almarikh
The horses moved over the hills as Sa Noyan Qin as if they were a single will a single angry animal reaching for it’s prey. He turned and faced the Kotan invaders and steadied himself and looked across the hills towards the great plains which were now a melee of men and horses and the popping and roar of the thunder-lances which the enemy had been using.

The chill of the air had given way and he breathed hard and fast now. Standing upon the stirrups of his horse, he steadied his arrows and took aim – his motion and breathing in unison with his horse. The rhythm and pace were all synchronized and as he released the last of his arrows, he struck one of the Atlantean kotan [enemy] squarely in the chest, as he was looking right at him he fell back into two others of his own men as the force was so great as to knock him back and off his feet.

It was then that he heard the clap of thunder and saw a great many of the horses and men of his Keshik nearest to him fall back on their horses or be crushed under the weight of their falling horse. Moving with the grace which follows from the years of training His lance was brought to bear on the left of his horse as he moved in closer towards the thunderous noise to his left.

It was then that he noticed that his arm was bright red and he could not move his fingers as he tried to move the lance upward, the more he tried, the heavier his lance felt and still he could not move his arm.

Things happened very fast then as the next thing he remembered was a lifting and hearing a muffled cracking inside himself and the sky and the ground were turned upside-down and then nothing but the sky and everything was quiet.

Some mud was on his face then but he was very tired, he went to move the mud away from his face but now was too tired to do even that. He thought for a moment that he would just rest here and get his wind back and rejoin his brothers in great battle soon enough, just a little rest for a minute more.

The final memories of Sa Noyan Qin, of the Imperial Keshik at Almarikh

---------------------------

The last weeks had been unlike anything in his service to the empire, they were treated, each of them like kings in their own right. The transport ship, the Hector, had been laid out with finery from across the cities and foods and wines and even women of the most beautiful description. It was for him an experience that he knew would only have one end, which made only one answer inevitable.

The crew of the ship had been pared down to the essentials and the crewmen of the ships were even forbidden from visiting their own decks. The ship had been rigged that only one passage to the mid-deck was possible and this was guarded for the whole voyage, almost all the weapons were removed and the ship was rigged to go as quickly as possible.

The last of the wine from the previous night was still heavy upon Orean’s head. The scent of the beautiful women of the nights before was still upon him and he was heavily saddened as they left the ship in the earliest morning. He did not want to leave, as he knew as surely as anything that they would never return, never to return to Atlantis again.

As they lay crouched upon the mounds of earth, which had been built into the otherwise flat terrain, the men all knew what they were here to do. Officially, they were here to take the city of Almarikh by force. The rest of the Navy would bring reinforcements within the day but it seemed to the men who were present that their landing was not near any city and given the incredible circumstances of the last days that instead they were offered up as a sacrifice rather than offered an opportunity to win. Even though this was never said aloud, all the men knew that they were a gamble, a chance for success for the army but that they would not be that success they would be the wedge which allowed the hammer strike.

We can see the smoke and dust now upon the hills as they approach....

Final notes and recollections, of 1st Lt. Orean Sulaca,
A memoir found in a tin of gunpowder, left at
the Battle at Almarikh
------------------------

The enemy ships were not seen at all as they crossed the waves.

But even in their stealth at sea they were defeated, along with this correspondence you will find the masthead of their sea-ship, the “Hector”.

All aboard this ship of the sea were sent to their fate. Unfortunately, they were destroyed only after their true mission was finished and they had deposited the thunder-warriors upon the shores of Xanadu.

Another sea-ship, the “Achilly”, if my sources are correct, was mortally wounded when battle was given but was able to slip away in the battle with the “Hector”,I can only hope that the sea may claim her as a prize as the Khan’s ship “Siltayan ongyon” [Sacred Cause] was on patrol near the southern coastline when she defeated the Hector but was sunk before returning to shore. Happily most of the crew were rescued and will live to serve the Khan again in victory.

The forces of the Navy are most loyal to the Khan; alas even so they have failed. Sending ship after ship to the sea has proved a deadly proposition.

But here at last upon the fields of wheat and grasses between Ta-Tu and my great city of Almarikh, did the foolish men of Atlantis make their stand. Even more inept among them was the landing, which was north of Almarikh, which betrayed the incompetence of their soldiering.

Our soldiers from the Keshiks and the mighty spear-warriors as well as those skilled with bow and blade were all soon to each fall before the thunderous wands of the enemy at first but were finally victorious over the multitudes of thunder-speared warriors.

It is a credit to the Empire that our soldiers defeated their vile presence utterly. Even to the point of capturing or destroying all of the thunder-spears, which they had with them. [also enclosed with this caravan for the scribes and scholars of your Imperial Libraries to inspect].

Each one of the invaders fell, and I must send my personal congratulations to the Noyans of the Imperial Keshik, who individually and collectively showed themselves to be a supreme in their mastery of battle in the fight to destroy our enemies.

I am however, disturbed by the brazen attack upon the Khan's lands such as this. I believe that only desparate men would go to their deaths so willingly. While it may be that the fearsome ships of our Navy have so bruised the enemy that they cannot any longer pose a threat to our lands but I suspect we have not seen the last of thunder-spears or their ships.

I respectfully ask that the city recieve extra warriors at the next meeting of the Kuriltai since the historical pattern of the Atlanteans seem to be attacking either Almarikh or Ta Tu or their areas.

Correspondence to the Khan
Jian Xi-Anuran, Military Governor of Almarikh
Minister of the Kuriltai
March 14, 855

Last edited by joe08536; January 17, 2004 at 17:41.
Old January 27, 2004, 21:56   #81
joe08536
Chieftain

The Fall of Mandalgovi
Suleia turned as she moved her form from the large pillowed couch facing the harbor, The air of spring could almost at times be felt in the air, it was exhilerating but chilly and she scooped up and poured one of the large fur cloaks over her naked form as she moved to the bay window. The morning had been brilliantly bright but foggy nonetheless, and the city was just waking into the morning but now there was a foggy darkness coming in from the south and the whole of the harbor to the north was invisible and quiet.

Turning from the Emir as she rose, she went over to the incense candles which were a gift from the Khan himself in honor of her beauty, she recalled as she took in the luxuriant scent of the smokes and vapors which lifted from all around the small lamps which contained the fires.

The Emir stirred and turned just then, as she noted his weary face looked no happier than the night before. Despite the passions of the night, he was still troubled. The Khan had sent only 1/2 of the men that had been promised from Dalandzadgad and it seemed all her Emir was concerned for until well into the night. It too all of her charms to convince him otherwise. Suleia turned away and focused on the scents closing her eyes, sure in her thoughts that the Emir worried too much of these things and that nothing could ever disrupt the world. That her Emir would protect her and the city as well. She was sure it could never be that the barbarians from the sea would so much as see their shores.

Her note to the servants had been followed and just as she rose to wake the Emir, the fruits and breads for the morning meal had been brought up. As she gazed (for the last time) out of the tower of the Emir's bedroom. She turned towards the servants and then back again, hearing a low noise, like waves crashing at the shoreline or the cheering of a crowd in the distance and she then dismissed her distraction and turned towards the more important matter of breakfast.

Memories at Dawn
Suleia of Mandalgovi

-----------------------------------
The landing west of Mandalgovi had gone as well as could be expected, himself had not yet landed but had chosen to stay aboard until all of the knights and bowmen and pikemen had left in the early hours before the luck of a fog cleared, as he looked up he could see that the sun was burning off the fog of the morning and would soon make their landing apparent. He ordered the captain to bring the Prometheus close to the shoreline and he would disembark

Personal Notes provided by General Hadrian
The Fall of Mandalgovi & The Xanadu Campaigns
Aurelius Press
---------------------------------
A spray of mud and earth shot into the air as the horse stumbled and the rider from the last corps of knights fell from his saddle.

Knocking Hadrian to his knees and onto his hands, just as he looked on, a rider from the Keshik of the Khan rushed past him and had hit him with a mace or some other instrument which knocked him down and caused him to turn nearly in mid air from a standing position to this nearly prostrate one. It was a glancing blow and he could feel that his shoulder must certainly be injured in some way. As he stumbled to get up and get to one foot. He looked himself over. The whole of time seemed to slow down then. This was not good. This situation was many things but good was not one of them. Grabbing his sword then and just as he had reached his feet, he saw in the mist the Keshik horseman was coming at him at full bore, with some sort of lance or pole pointed right at him.

As he turned to raise his sword again A spray of blood, mud and earth shot into the air as the horse of a mounted Atlantean knight intersected with the Keshik rider and as he watched he could see that the lance once aimed at him had nearly completely passed through lower 1/2 of the now thoroughly impale Knight, as the horses tumbled over one another. The keshik rider then appeared again, but this time, without his horse and with an arm which was clearly not right. Flying over the mass of the two horses and fallen Atlantean Knight, the Keshik Rider landed face first in the mud mere feet from the ancient Hero.

Deciding then that this was no place for a footsoldier, Hadrian dispatched the man with his sword and turned to the mess of horses. Turning towards them and looking around there was nearly a clearance enough to close the distance. Just as he approached a badly scared but nearly unhurt horse tried to stand from the crash of the two animals. Stabbing his sword into the ground from his [now] good arm.

Hadrian fiercely tried to pull the animal away from the mess of men and animal. The horse was badly spooked but not injured as the great beast was standing and as Hadrian turned and took measure. Another Knight passed this time going in another direction. His senses clearing a bit as he stood next to the horse. He saw that his men were not in ranks and that this meant death as quickly as the Keshiks could deliver it.

Summoning then, all his strength, he brought the horse around and was able to mount the great beast. Pulling the stirrups away from the ruin of the dead horse of the Keshik and the two dead riders. Turning back to grab his sword, Hadrian cried into the mists!

"Rally to me!!.....Rally to me!!!" , Knowing this would either work or bring a quick death, Hadrian circled a larger area and was able to see yet another pike which was impaled into the ground of another fallen Atlantean rider which who had fallen from his horse. This had been a dark and bloody morning, and this was not nearly mid morning by his reconning, it would be a long day yet to come.

Seeing then a corps of Knights rushing into his direction, they formed their ranks. And so it was that I was transformed from the ancient Hero and became the General.

"How I Did It" by General Hadrian

---------------------------------------

"Not easy, That day was the longest of my recollection."

"I think the answer to your question is this...."

"Even now as I sit in my small contemplary, I know now that violence can only lead to more violence and ultimately to destruction..." [The students looking up non-plussed by this statement]

"If there is anything important I learned in the war, you see, it is that I was not an agent of Ambition but an agent of Providence. This is the difference between my experiences and those of.....others. It was really opportunity and Providence, the smallest amount of skill and nothing more."

"The day had been horribly brutal, to men and beast alike. I was a rider in the corps of Knights and we had been sweeping the area surrounding Mandalgovi. Which had just been occupied by the better elements of the Longbowmen's Corps.... These elites of the Corps had managed to take the fortified city and eliminate all of the resisting Mongol Hordes which were barricaded inside. [gazing then, away from his audience] For their victory they took a horrible toll though, in all we knew it would not go easily for any of us. The previous day had seen 4 Corps of Knights and 3 of Longbowmen destroyed mercilessly by the incessant Keshiks and the Archers of the Khan. A more horrible sight I have never seen. My men and I were sweeping to the North of Mandalgovi and came upon one of the groups of Archers which had obviously attacked and survived the previous day but was damaged. We rode with the rest of my group and we dispatched them. It was during this action though, that my men were nearly caught in a crossfire between two groups of the Archer corps. I was able to take a smaller group of men and prevent this from becoming a masacre. So all I did, if ever I did anything at all, was prevent in some small way a further tragedy from befalling our group of Knights that day."

"But it seems a long time ago, and an ocean away now and I have dedicated my life to the creation of this Cathedral. I have given myself up from the concerns of the war to the more important concerns of God and of course, the happiness of the people of Atlantis."

"For me this is herosim. [turning and motioning towards the large altar and the pipes surrounding it]. Being able to forgive the world it's flaws and see if only for a moment the goodness that is possible."

Quotation from the Hero Maximus at the construction site of the nearly completed Cathedral of St. Thomas in Aurelius when asked "What it was like to become a hero?" by a young student visiting the site from a nearby school.
Old January 28, 2004, 05:36   #82
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Joe this is great work, no excellent work

Please keep the goods coming
Old February 8, 2004, 12:26   #83
joe08536
Chieftain

Northlands
Hadrian turned to his 1st Lieutenant, and said “Well, I think it’s fair to say that no war plan survives the first battle”.

Only days before, Hadrian had stared out over the former Emir’s offices. Looking out over the bay, one could see clearly up the coast and to the horizon. Stealing one long last glimpse, he returned to the work at hand. “I believe that going forward to ` Choybalsan` should allow us to secure the northern provinces for after this northernmost city is occupied, only ` Dalandzadgad` shall remain a stronghold.”, turning to his assembled officers “Make preparations for fighting in cold climates , such as the training in Dioclesian”.

Choybalsan, had proven to be much more intransigent than he had predicted, for such a small city of only 30,000 Mongols. Their landing at Mandalgovi had allowed the Khan to reinforce all the other cities, and it was now clear that it would be a fight for every city.

Hadrian stared out across the frozen landscape of Choybalsan and watched as the workers from the city were given instructions, soon, there would be forests like in Dioclesian, but the city he feared was a loss, They would have to found a new City an Atlantean city in it’s place or somewhere nearby, but no matter what, a memorial to those who had been lost would be erected in the place of the old city.

Turning then to the 1st Lieutenant, “Do you have the manifest?”, looking over the numbers of captured and killed, there were far too many of the later and these numbers always depressed him. After Mandalgovi, and the loss of nearly ½ of the men they had left Aurelius with, he had come to call this report the “Butchers Bill”. The 1st Lieutenant re-scrolled the report, and placed a dollop of hot crimson wax, over the lemon stain seal, Hadrian took his ring and pressed the seal of his Signet into the wax.

The 1st Lieutenant turned and summoned a courier and the message was off to the ministers and the Emperor.

The march to Dlandzadgad has been plagued with attacks from the forests and there was an attempt to reinforce the city itself from the southeast (probably from Hovd). But, as you well know by now, this attempt had been defeated by elements of the units stationed west of Mandalgovi. This courier had been sent back with instructions to secure the hill overlooking the plains west of Mandalgovi, The hills were to be fortified, with workers performing this work at the expense of any other projects in the area.

Providing a secure outpost for attacks and defense will allow our forces to rally away from the city and allow the city improvements to be continued. Please keep worker creation up to quotas, as they will be desperately needed in the reconstruction efforts in the northlands.

Hadrian to the governor of Mandalgovi,
August 10 , 1001

The blood from the axe of one of the warriors defending Dlandzadgad was warm and fresh on his face. The General turned himself in the dusty mud and muck, and struggled to get to his feet, the blow had been glancing had been at the axe head of a Mongol warrior. Had it not been for the quick blade of one of the Elite Knights, which now freely roam the lands in the north, it could have been the end of his life and a certain death for this campaign. He replayed this image over and over in his mind.

The free Elites allowed me to rally the pitiful remains of the army and take stock of the horrible situation. Nearly all of the men were mortally injured it seemed, and horse and man alike looked a sorry sight. Nevertheless, the training of the men shone through and they were able to gather themselves in some small semblance of dignity and withdrawal, towards Mandalgovi. Of the 15 or so units in the army, all but four or five were on stretchers or otherwise unfit for battle. It seemed then that his was not so much an army as a moving medical emergency.

General Hadrian personal notes on the Defeat at Dalandzadgad, The Northlands & The Xanadu Campaigns
Aurelius Press

“...Hadrians’ Army was all but destroyed at the walls of Dalandzadgad and it was by sheer luck alone that they made if away from the lands of the Mongols and returned to Mandalgovi. It should come as a clear call to any who thought this campaign would be an easy one that it is never easy to deprive one of their freedoms.

The victories at Hovd were unexpected even by those who captured the city, It is largely thought, that this is due to reinforcement at Dalandzadgad by troops from Hovd.

In any eventuality, This body should move to sue for peace at the earliest convenience…”

Senator Gaius Aurtiaur,
Imperial Senate, January 4, 1003
Old February 8, 2004, 20:43   #84
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
Joe this is great work, no excellent work
I agree with chris that this is not excellent but not bad either. The vocab in it makes it feel clunky but that's just me cause I try to limit myself to about a grade 3 level of vocab.
Old February 8, 2004, 21:47   #85
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 03:49
Been a while since I last read this. Just caught up, and I'm liking it. Just keep the goods coming on a regular basis, and keep up the quality, and this will be contest material with high potential.
Spore page
Old February 9, 2004, 13:16   #86
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

War is a dirty business, well written Joe, keep the updates coming

Scratch, FYI I actually said this story is ecellent and I still think so.
Old February 27, 2004, 20:06   #87
joe08536
Chieftain

Germanicus
Your Excellency,

This letter is to report two matters at hand. First, the reports regarding casualties and in reply to your question regarding my state of mind. Casualty reports will be sent in the attached scrolls as they are numerous and detailed. To your later question; Personally, I am daily sickened by the tragedies, which have befallen the soldiers in the southlands. I am afraid I am no good model myself. The horrible losses of men and materiel to the south of Mandalgovi give me pause. I sincerely hope that we have not created a cauldron of death for our own but will press onward with our campaigns in the sincerest hopes of securing our Republic.

Another matter, it appears there are (even here) small miracles in places such as Mandalgovi as I’ve recently met with the frighteningly young new Hero, Germanicus, who at the ripe old age of just into his teens has become nearly my equal in battle. His age however leads me and many of the other Senior officers to request that he return to the Capital at the first convenience.

He is a pleasant and bright young boy on one hand, and from the perspective of our most worthy adversaries, the Mongol, he an accomplished mass murderer. One so young should not achieve such a ---- notable achievement so early in life. It pleases me also to report that he himself attributes his victory to blind luck and only modestly to skill, he also holds no special malice towards our enemy beyond that which might be expected from one so young.

He should be given the opportunity to do great things for the Republic. I request humbly that those things, not be attending to the unfortunate matters here.

Signed General Hadrian,
Private Letter to the Emperor, Spring, 1062 AD

“I must say that I am most proud of my work on the University, such a genius as Dr. Newton’s work must be the spirit and the inspiration of the people. The are some who have said that my record in the war effort is the more impressive of things, my opinion is only slightly different, in that I disagree completely with that assessment. It understates the importance of being mistaken for an innocent in the affairs of war. My work in the war effort is insignificant when compared with the learning and the increase in knowledge for our people and the greater good of Atlantis.”

- Germanicus, Hero of the Republic and current Chair of the Newton University quoted upon his admission as the 1st student to attend the new school founded by himself and some cynics have said for himself in Babylon. It should be noted that at the time of his admission to the school, Germanicus was still not “officially” old enough to attend University and was approaching his mid teens, and had completely forgone education beyond the age of 10 to secretly enlist as a water boy in the Hadrian’s newly forming corps of knights.

- The Babylonian, Vol 1, Edition 6, University Press, Babylon

Casualty Report 1050-1060 AD

Northlands Campaign
================

2nd Seige of Dalandzadgad
(units/corps [groups of +1,000-10,000 men])

Dead Injured Enemy Killed
================================
3 Musketeers Army (3/15) 2 Keshik
1 Knights 4 Knights (2/4) 4 Spearmen
1 Longbowman 2 Knights (1/5)
3 Workers

1st Expeditionary Force to Darhan

========================================
3 Knights 1 Knights (4/5) (Ger) 3 Keshik
2 Longbowman 1 Longbowman
1 Medieval Infantry 2 Spearmen

1st Expeditionary Force to Hovd

================================
3 Knights (0/4) 2 Keshik

=======================================
Old February 27, 2004, 20:43   #88
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 03:49
Cool update.
Spore page
Old February 27, 2004, 22:42   #89
joe08536
Chieftain

Claudius
“Always do what you know in your heart to be the right thing. Had I it to do over again”, Claudius looked over the exchange of traders and buyers and runners and turned back towards his desk. “There are a great many things I would have done differently….I probably wouldn’t have joined the Army at all; now that I think about it.”, The young editor looked up from his notes on the great leader and stared perplexed and nearly amazed, “But I did join and, I was the `Hero of the Line`” turning back from the large window through the new glass which allowed sight with just a fraction of the sound from the galleries which formed an amphitheater of commerce.

Moving towards his large teak desk, “When all around me the battle front which had been extended as far south nearly as the City of Alamrikh fell in defeat. And nearly the entire force of our army was reduced to but a few Knights and old General Hadrian in Mandalgovi himself. His quest, by the way , to take Dalandzadgad was like the obsession of a madman, but then I met madness here in Atlantis and everything changed but that is another story altogether.”

He paused and pursed his lips and crumpled his face as if concentrating on the last sentence. Turning back to the interviewer, “I realize now that his was simply a grim determination in an even more grim circumstance….Anyway, After the fall of Hovd, which had been occupied many years earlier was it clear that I might be in the war but that my heart was not in the war… After Hovd, which was just after my victory at the line, which was not a real line but simply a skirmish area, which had developed near the hills North of Hovd., I retreated to Mandalgovi and for me the war was over. If there is something exceptional about my military prowess, I think it is that I retreat better than any of the other Heros of the Republic. I have always hated that title but well, the rest is history.

In all of it you must remember the first thing I said, [looking directly and seriously at the young writer], Always do what you know in your heart to be the right thing. You must let people know when you see a bad thing, when you see an injustice.

Some would say that this bastion of commerce here [moving his arm across the wide expanse of the window onto the trading floor] that I have created is such an injustice towards the poor. It is undeniably because of the commerce and trade here that the poorest of our citizens are not more impoverished and the Republic can support more fully the people with the revenues generated here. The poorest of our citizens can go to a library or a temple or perhaps even a university and improve their lot.

That is my gift to the people, No battle in Xanadu or debate in the Senate or time with the Emperor seems as important to me as this institution. Perhaps those temples and libraries will help to prevent in the future, the poverty of the spirit which is truly the ruin of man and the start of madness.”

Rising then from his desk, Governor Claudius turned to his young interviewer and said “I’m afraid our time is at an end, besides, if you want to ask someone who really knows `What they’re doing, How they did it and Why`, You should not ask me......[but I’ll give you a tip....[pausing then and leaning close as if relaying a hot tip on wheat harvests or mining production]

"If you’ve really done your job well, nobody will be sure you did…anything at all….Ask yourself, who fits that description, then you’ll know to interview…”.

“Meeting the Heros - The Exchange”, Excerpt from an interview with Governor Claudius during his tenure presiding over Smith’s Trade & Exchange located in Claudius, March 12, 1120 AD
Old February 27, 2004, 23:01   #90
joe08536
Chieftain

Thanks
Just wanted to say thanks again for the encourgament, I've had a busy couple of weeks and apologize for the recent gap in my writing.

More to come soon and I'll be moving away from the "recollection" style shortly, I just have to get through a little bit here.

Best Regards,

J