Old October 15, 2003, 13:28   #31
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
In 670BC, an Elite Horsemen produces the first of a string of lucky Great Leaders in this game. I then make my second big mistake, rushing the Forbidden Palace in Detroit, a city adjacent to the large lake at the intersection of American, Iroquois, Mongol and Babyloniand lands. In terms of pure FP placement, this is the right choice: it's the most central location on the southern porton of the continent. However, to take full advantage of the reduced Corruption I would have to subjugate the Babylonians, which I mistakenly assume is going to be a relatively easy task (at the beginning of the Industrial era I am still very far from taking on the Babs). In short, my lesson learned is try not to look too far ahead when placing my FP; the short-term benefits of reduced Corruption set up a strong late-game.

Not long after, in 490BC, an Elite Swordsman produces my second Great Leader. Not much to do with this one other than create an Army or move the Palace. I decide to sit on this one, as the war with Mongolia is almost over and I do not expect many more Elite battles until Cavalry.

In 330BC, the Mongols are left with two cities: Karakorum, the capital (which is about to fall), and Darhan, a coastal city that I conquer then lose to a Culture flip. I do not mind this flip at all, since it will be easier to contain the Mongols to one city there than at Karakorum. Below is a screenshot of the fall of Karakorum (I took the city's last defender, an Archer, with a Spearman!). Notice the hordes of AI units trying to get a piece of the action; through no effort of my own, every single civ declared war on Mongolia after I did! Also notice the Great Leader patiently waiting in San Francisco.

With the Mongols taken care of (and under my constant supervision to make sure they are not annihilated by some bloodthirsty AI), there is no more need for aggressive warfare, and so I quickly trade for Philosophy from the Spanish for a mere 101 Gold (I guess it pays to be the last in tech!). This throws me into the Medieval era. I then cut the follwing deal:

Americans: Peace Treaty, Right of Passage, 128 Gold
Mongols: Engineering, Feudalism, The Republic

I'm still behind in tech (Monotheism, Theology and Invention), but at least now I can switch goverments. Before doing so, I first trade 1122 Gold for Invention from the Babs, and rush Leonardo's Workshop.

Things are looking better now!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	au210 330bc.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	55081  

Last edited by Dominae; October 15, 2003 at 13:41.
Old October 15, 2003, 18:41   #32
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Nice pruning shears, Dom!

BTW, I got to the FP around 390 BC... not sure where the confusion arose.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 15, 2003, 18:47   #33
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
BTW, I got to the FP around 390 BC... not sure where the confusion arose.
I was just joshin' ya, of course.

If 22 Swordsmen are "pruning shears", what's 75 Cavalry!?

Dominae
Old October 15, 2003, 18:51   #34
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
A CavalRumble(tm), but you can't use it because I already used it in Immortal Storm.
Old October 15, 2003, 19:33   #35
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'm having a ***** of a time... the AI wars are ridiculous. Iroquois are getting hammered, with even weakling Spain getting into the act.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 16, 2003, 19:29   #36
Ineffablebob
Settler

Local Time: 04:51
Monarch, AU mod.

670 - Founded Houston and sent another settler off to grab some more territory before the Mongols get it.

590 - The Indians have started moving troops through my territory toward the Babylonians, but I'm letting them get away with it for now. Construction was discovered this turn, and we're going for Republic next. Did a bunch of trading and learned that everyone and his brother has Currency, so the Middle Ages are just around the corner.

570 - As expected, the Middle Ages have begun. The Mongols completed the Pyramids and the Babylonians got the Great Wall. I hope it helps them. Actually, the Babylonians have been doing better than I expected - haven't lost a city yet. Founded Buffalo out to the west of Washington. Decided to help the Babylonians a little more by trading them Currency - which also put them into the Middle Ages and gave them Monotheism (free tech from Scientific). Since the Ottomans are Scientific, too, I gave them Currency as well so I'll get Monotheism from the GL next turn.

550 - Apparently the Babylonians put their temporary tech lead to good use, as the Spanish have now declared war on the Indians. World war isn't exactly the way I'd expected to play a diplomatic game, but so far no one hates me and no one is in danger of dying, so I guess it's working. Also got a barbarian uprising near Buffalo - a metric ton of Horsemen. *Sigh* Couldn't they have bothered the Spanish instead?

450 - The barbarian uprising has been mostly quelled, just some mop-up remaining. The Spanish declared war on the Mongols, too, so it looks like Babylon has a real ally. I'm pretty happy they didn't need my help after all.

370 - Founded Detroit, in a pretty poor location for growth, but with access to another source of Dyes. Can't hurt to have trade bait. Granted the Mongols a Right of Passage agreement - I couldn't have stopped them from crossing without declaring war, and this way they clear out the barbarian units still roaming around my empire.

270 - Founded New Orleans and started a Revolution, heading for Republic.

190 - The new Republic is successfully founded. Feudalism is next on the tech list and is only about 10 turns away. The Germans have Engineering, but haven't shared it, so I haven't picked it up yet. Surely they'll trade it to someone sooner or later.

110 - Founded Baltimore, in another poor growth location, but this one is in a good stragegic position with lots of hills and mountains. Completed a road connecting me to the Mongols for trade purposes, and got Spices for Furs.

70 - Founded Denver, with one more city soon to follow.

10 - Founded Cincinnati. I'm up to 17 cities now, just one more to FP. I really don't have a good place for one more city, I'll just have to improvise.

70 AD - The world is at peace once more - Spain and India signed a treaty, ending the final war (for now).

110 AD - Dallas founded, bringing me up to 18 cities, 23 million population, 2nd in land area. I'm still pretty low on the military side of things, but my diplomacy hasn't failed me yet so it's not a big concern. I have another 9 turns to discover Invention, with Gunpowder right after, and then I'll build up a Musketmen defense (ready for later upgrade). Everyone is peaceful at the moment, so now it's a builder game, and the Americans are pretty well positioned for that.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	dar3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	55154