Old October 3, 2003, 23:12   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Chat 8 orders and thoughts
Viewing the save now, I noticed a few things I thought that (although as FAM it is not my calL) I should point out.

Bifrost is set to grow in one turn and needs 2 food to do so. It is currently working an irrigated flood plain, when this wastes one food. Ring of Vikings is working three irrigated plains, and the 4th resource it gets from these is wasted. If we switch so Ring is working two plains and the flood plains, it gets the extra food, and Bifrost stills grows next turn. Not a big gain, but little things like this pay off over the course of hundreds of turns.

Secondly, Spanish are Greedy is working an unirrigated plains tile, when there is one free - is there a reason we can't switch to the irrigated one, speeding SOG's growth?

FAM orders

At present we are not able to get any techs off our neighbours without GPT deals, except Horseback Riding which is useless to us without Horses! At present don't trade for anything unless we see an opportunity to resell a tech to another civ. When our defence is up tos cratch we need some Galleys to settle other places and give us Horses + Iron at the least!

Hope to see everyone there....

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 3, 2003, 23:35   #2
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:51
Good WF plan for Ring of Vikings MWIA.

Continuing discussion of the Persian Archer:

I agree with GarP2 that we should reinforce Valhalla with the warrior in Spanish Are Greedy (Mantis). This should keep the city safe, and wherever the archer moves after that, the new Archer built in Valhalla will be able to attack it.

However, I don't want to leave the worker out in the open, especially with Valhalla safe. In my experience, the AI has a nasty habit of disbanding slaves it doesn't have a good chance of keeping. I'd send the worker threatened by the archer (Worker Bee) out of danger; perhaps 2-2-1 to road & irrigate another plains tile for SAG (the third shield will be uncorrupted, making SAG a 2 shield per turn city).
Old October 4, 2003, 00:50   #3
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
MWIA I wasn't there last chat so I had no idea about that. But anyway. Follow MWIA's WF changes.
Old October 4, 2003, 12:57   #4
GarP2
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:51
Oops! I was still posting in 'Chat 7 save and ...'

Repeated below:

Instead of attacking Valhalla, the archer may just fortify if the worker is moved away, but the AI will often go for a worker in preference to other targets, so if we leave him there and the AI takes him, 1) the archer doesnt heal (isnt that right? its not like winning a battle?), and 2) hes on a tile with a lower defensive bonus. My only question is whether the AI would execute (disband) the worker or have him try to escape. I've seen both happen and dont know what determines which the AI will do. If the worker is not executed, we shouldnt have any problem capturing him back on the next turn.

As for other targets, the archer could move 8 and threaten New Asgard, since archer production there is 2 turns away, and we have no other defensive units that could get there in time (I assume that there is not a second warrior in New Asgard - I dont have the save). Perhaps we should move the warrior in Ring of Vikings 6 to be able to get to New Asgard in time to defend. I dont know what all this moving warriors out of cities would cost us in terms of the luxury slider (since I dont have the save). Another nasty move for the archer would be 4, to recover while enjoying the defensive bonus of the hill.

Sometimes I miss zones of control.

GarP also
sorry for the redundancy
Old October 4, 2003, 14:22   #5
sprudl
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 11:51
My experience is that isolated AI units, like this archer, will attack whatever is nearby. It can't heal in enemy territory so my guess it will attack Valhalla (if we move Worker Bee). With an extra warrior from SAG we can't lose that city. There's a fair chance the attacker will die anyway. If not, we should be able to take him out with archers.

Too bad moving units out of cities will affect happiness.
Old October 4, 2003, 14:40   #6
GarP2
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:51
Quote:
Originally posted by sprudl
... It can't heal in enemy territory...
Oh yeah...duh

GarP2
Old October 4, 2003, 14:49   #7
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:51
Quote:
Originally posted by GarP2
Instead of attacking Valhalla, the archer may just fortify if the worker is moved away, but the AI will often go for a worker in preference to other targets, so if we leave him there and the AI takes him, 1) the archer doesnt heal (isnt that right? its not like winning a battle?), and 2) hes on a tile with a lower defensive bonus. My only question is whether the AI would execute (disband) the worker or have him try to escape. I've seen both happen and dont know what determines which the AI will do. If the worker is not executed, we shouldnt have any problem capturing him back on the next turn.
The Archer can't heal in our territory anyway, so 1) isn't a problem. You have a good point on terrain; I'd just rather not risk the worker. I don't know what makes the AI execute slaves either, but in my experience, situations like this where it's cornered in enemy territory usually make the AI disband rather than risk it being re-captured.

Quote:
As for other targets, the archer could move 8 and threaten New Asgard, since archer production there is 2 turns away, and we have no other defensive units that could get there in time (I assume that there is not a second warrior in New Asgard - I dont have the save). Perhaps we should move the warrior in Ring of Vikings 6 to be able to get to New Asgard in time to defend. I dont know what all this moving warriors out of cities would cost us in terms of the luxury slider (since I dont have the save). Another nasty move for the archer would be 4, to recover while enjoying the defensive bonus of the hill.
Thanks to our road network, the Archer produced in New Asgard in 1 turn can attack the Persian Archer next turn, regardless of where Persia moves it. There's always a chance we lose there, though, so good idea with moving the Ring warrior. Not sure if that's a problem for happiness; I know Spanish are Greedy can afford to move Mantis to Asgard, though, thanks to our Gem connection.

Quote:
sorry for the redundancy
NP, I don't think this thread wasn't even started when you posted in the schedule thread; I just thought I'd move discussion here when MWIA posted it.