Old October 3, 2003, 23:20   #1
Torpid
Settler

Local Time: 09:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Best game settings
What are the best game settings for a really fun game. I usually do Huge/70% Water Continents/Ottomans/8-12 other civs.
What about you?
Old October 3, 2003, 23:26   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:51
STD maps for me.
Old October 3, 2003, 23:27   #3
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
Honestly I don't play too many "stock" games of Civ3 or PTW anymore. The most fun for me comes from the Apolyton University games where you can compare games against each other. And the democracy games where a bunch of people get together to play the game.

To answer your question though...I like large/continents/any industrious civ/10-12 civs.
Old October 4, 2003, 00:18   #4
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:51
Huge/continents/60% Water (to give my suicide galleys a fighting chance and reduce slightly the irritating sail for IC invasion in modern era)/8 civs

I'm trying to branch out and wean myself from Industrious (which, btw is damn hard). It's the only trait I bemoan not having, but in my latest game I've fallen in love with Germany, and Mil is slowly joining Ind in that category. On top of all their obvious benefits, playing as Germany means you know you won't have them for a neighbor.

I'm thinking about creating a mod with every civ having a third trait, and giving the Germans Ind, just to see how it feels, but that would be backsliding, wouldn't it?

The demo game I'm in has been a lot of fun, as was the AU OCC game (which I neglected to make notes for so I could write an AAR, and now just remember that I was Spain and won a single-city culture victory). I keep wanting to jump back in and try some more AU games, but have prioritized trying to get off Ind and try some "new" civs.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old October 4, 2003, 06:04   #5
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 11:51
standard everywhere.... sometimes I do pangaea rather than continents, but only when on small maps and with Persians
Old October 6, 2003, 08:25   #6
Stuie
King

Local Time: 05:51
I play on a 180x180 map, large continents, wet/cool/4B, 20 Civs.

This usually yields two or three really big AI Civs to challenge me late in the game, while providing plenty of "local" wars early in the game to keep things interesting.