Old October 4, 2003, 03:41   #1
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Anybody else seen this?
It's late Industrial Age, and I've got my workers busily foresting the tundra tiles they mined years ago when I automated them after getting the railroad up. Anyway, I move one onto a tile where I see a mine and it tells me I'm on forest. Check the top left corner of the screen shot below. So I chop the forest, to see what will happen, and sure enough the mine is still showing. I figured it was just a graphic bug, so I right click on the tile and it's actually producing two shields! Woohoo, free mine!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mine-forest during chop.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	54450  
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old October 4, 2003, 03:42   #2
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Here's the post-chop shot.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mine-forest post chop.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	54451  
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old October 4, 2003, 03:54   #3
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:52
Never noyiced it myself but I'll keep an eye out for it.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 4, 2003, 04:11   #4
Solomwi
lifer
Emperor

Quick update... the very next turn, I discovered Radio and Rocketry and Aluminum showed up on that very tile. I replanted the forest this turn and the mine disappeared.
- Doug Stanhope
Old October 4, 2003, 05:21   #5
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 11:52
how do you plant forest on tundra?
Old October 4, 2003, 09:35   #6
superslug
Settler

Local Time: 09:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
how do you plant forest on tundra?
Workers can perform this action after completion of researching Engineering. When a worker is on the desired tile, press 'N'.
Old October 4, 2003, 14:19   #7
Ecthy
Emperor

Since which version has that been done?
Old October 4, 2003, 15:42   #8
PeaSoup
Warlord

Local Time: 02:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
Since which version has that been done?
since the release of civ3
it's always worked that way.. well, except for this particular bug
Old October 4, 2003, 16:15   #9
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:52
I would suspect that these "strange" things happen when two things are completed at the same time (e.g., build mine and plant forest).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 4, 2003, 16:15   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:52
Yup always been there.
Old October 4, 2003, 16:28   #11
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

I haven't seen that particular problem, but I have tried to plant forest on an empty tundra tile and got the message that it was already mined. Only had that happen once and it was actually producing the extra shield. Never noticed weather or not there was a resource that appeared later.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old October 4, 2003, 16:31   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

I've seen people point this out several times. It was even a CFC pic of the day once.
Old October 4, 2003, 18:02   #13
Ecthy
Emperor

I just never knew it's possible to plant forests on tundra...
Old October 4, 2003, 18:44   #14
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:52
I didn't know you could use an impressionist tileset
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 4, 2003, 20:23   #15
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

It's Warpstorm's watercolor mod, which you can find almost anywhere, including on the PtW CD...

--Kon--
Old October 4, 2003, 20:51   #16
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You can get by clicking on the ling in Warpstorms sig.

At first it'can be a little confusing at times but it is beautifully done
Old October 5, 2003, 22:42   #17
Solomwi
lifer
Emperor

Yes it is. I'm a big fan of this tileset, so if WS sees this... thanks!

Sn00py's set is very well done, too, btw.

After starting this thread, it occurred to me that what probably happened was my worker started planting a forest, then the next turn one of the automated idiots started mining it. The current worker automation is 1000% better than the original, but I could still use a few more specific options. That said, at least automation is a valid option now, without the fear of seeing your production powerhouse of an empire irrigated into submission.
- Doug Stanhope
Old October 5, 2003, 23:38   #18
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I had meant to post this... I've seen mined forest tundra, i.e., too many shields.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 7, 2003, 18:25   #19
Sovereign
Prince

Forests ACTUALLY do exist on tundra. Look in Northern Canada and Alaska. Its called Boreal Forests, I believe. Another example of this is the forests in Jack London's novels, "Buck" and "White Fang".

Also, the Yukon has plenty of forests there, and planting forests in tundra is possible in real life, with the technology we have, as well as Nature doing it herself.