Old October 7, 2003, 18:44   #1
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Propaganda Department
Though I have pretty good formal essay skills (eg writing a constitution or a few philosophical principles) my talents for writing entertaining literature, exciting stories or interesting articles are somewhat limited to say the least when I compare to what others have written already...
Therefore I am wondering of anyone would be willing to become Director/Chairman/Secretary... (pick your preference) of the Propaganda Department. While I as General Secretary would focus most on all the organizational and administrative tasks necessary to make the game run smoothly, the task description of the Propaganda Department head would be to keep the roleplaying alive and well, be the Pravda newspaper editor (if we get a paper at least) and to try to attract new members to the ACPSG by writing some nice introduction that can be posted on certain strategic fora.
Is anyone interested in this job? As a sign of my appreciation for the crucial civic function a Propaganda Department head fulfills, I would also give this person a permanent (well actually: as long as I am GS... ) spot in the Politburo.
Old October 7, 2003, 18:44   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 10:07
Old October 8, 2003, 04:18   #3
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 21:07
Is there really any need for an 'official' propaganda ministry? Why not just let each faction publish their own newspaper, and just accord 'official' status to the one owned by whichever faction was in power at the time. That way anyone can write their own if they like, and the question of the official paper being biased becomes irrelevant.
Old October 8, 2003, 11:23   #4
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

That is a valid option as well, but wouldn't that lead to many small newspapers with perhaps only one or two articles per issue?
As for the problem of bias, I could give the same response as IIRC you gave when you were accused of bias in the first ACDG: everyone can send their articles - biased or not - to the news editor, who includes them in the newspaper. It's not like the news editor would be the only one allowed to write articles. He or she would just be the person who keeps things organized, puts all the different articles in a consistent issue, and tries to encourage members to write articles or participate in the roleplaying.
Old October 8, 2003, 19:20   #5
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:07
I'd be tempted to propose something like PRAVDA: Submissions are sent to an editior, who publishes them went enough articles are accumulated, as well as his own thoughts on current issues.

After all, we ALL are top Party officials, and therefore are allowed to write about how we feel.
Old October 9, 2003, 05:03   #6
Maniac

That was the plan all along.

Tassadar, perhaps the exact task description will be changed later, but unless new candidates pop in or there starts a flood of reactions, I think you can consider yourself Chairman/Director/Secretary of the Propaganda Department.