Old October 9, 2003, 23:58   #31
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 06:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
think I was "deer caught in headlights".
So was I...
Old October 10, 2003, 00:11   #32
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

After thinking about it some, I'm pretty disappointed that China has chosen to spend much of its limited R&D budget on repeating what others have done a half decade ago, and in the same manner that they have done it.

I guess I am looking for a new direction from China. Some imagination.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 10, 2003, 01:20   #33
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 18:12
Pah. You need to go to the moon before you can go to Mars.
Old October 10, 2003, 10:34   #34
DanS
Deity

The space race is so... 1960s. That wonder has already been built. The Chinese should do something to show off their progress in materials science or something.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 10, 2003, 10:41   #35
Urban Ranger
Deity

It's not space race. It's space exploration. We need to establish settlements on other planets.
Old October 10, 2003, 10:51   #36
DanS
Deity

If the effort is government-directed, the amount of money that we'll piss away in the process would be described as "profound".
Old October 10, 2003, 13:49   #37
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 11:12
Quote:
The whole thing is a scam. They are not capable of space flight with humans.
Course they're not. After all, how could any country other than the Great USA achieve such a feat?

Newsflash: Russia put a man in orbit over 40 years ago! China's current technology is a lot more advanced than Russia's 1960s technology.

Troll
Old October 11, 2003, 01:44   #38
mindseye
King

Go China!
Old October 11, 2003, 01:45   #39
mindseye
King

Quote:
According to the BBC China was recently ranked 96th amoung nations in terms of living conditions and quality of life.
Be careful with stats like that. It's dangerous to generalize about China. People in big cities like Shanghai have a standard of living more or less on par with that of large western cities. Meanwhile people in other parts of the country are subsistance farmers. In some ways it's like two distinct nations.
Old October 11, 2003, 01:54   #40
mindseye
King

Quote:
I guess I am looking for a new direction from China. Some imagination.
DanS, I'm sorry to say your wait is going to be a long one. Imagination and originality are pronounced weaknesses of the (contemporary?) Chinese mentality. It is one of the most striking differences between the way Chinese and westerners think.

On the other hand, perhaps as compensation, they are excellent at acquiring and integrating knowledge from outside sources.
Old October 11, 2003, 13:01   #41
DanS
Deity

That's a real shame. There are lots of Chinese expats who are on the forefront of materials science. The Chinese government should find a way to bring them home and do something insanely great with them.

Manned space flight isn't going to add much external prestige, scientific knowledge, or military capabilities. It might add personal pride among Chinese, which I think does have some value. But overall, it's a waste of science money.
Old October 11, 2003, 13:10   #42
Kuciwalker
Deity

Re: Chinese to Launch Manned Spaceflight Next Week
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
I hope this goes well for the Chinese - perhaps they'll even go to the moon eventually. That would be something for everyone to cheer about.
Yay! Wonderful! More people wasting money on stuff of no practical use except as a symbol to justify a totalitarian regime! Yay!
Old October 11, 2003, 14:45   #43
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 19:12
Re: Re: Chinese to Launch Manned Spaceflight Next Week
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

Yay! Wonderful! More people wasting money on stuff of no practical use except as a symbol to justify a totalitarian regime! Yay!
I'm no great fan of the Chinese Communist Party, but do you really think that allowing free elections overnight would lead to anything other than chaos?
Old October 11, 2003, 14:46   #44
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Pah. You need to go to the moon before you can go to Mars.
Actually, what you need is a BASE on the moon (or possibly in orbit, preferably both). Just landing there does jack.
Old October 11, 2003, 14:48   #45
Kuciwalker
Deity

Re: Re: Re: Chinese to Launch Manned Spaceflight Next Week
Quote:
I'm no great fan of the Chinese Communist Party, but do you really think that allowing free elections overnight would lead to anything other than chaos?
Do you really think that this spaceflight is going to do anything helpful towards democracy (or really, anything helpful for the Chinese people at all?)
Old October 11, 2003, 18:05   #46
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 10:12
Morale boost?
Old October 11, 2003, 18:10   #47
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chinese to Launch Manned Spaceflight Next Week
Quote:

Do you really think that this spaceflight is going to do anything helpful towards democracy (or really, anything helpful for the Chinese people at all?)
No, but I think it's great that another country is willing to mount a space program which will no doubt lead to co-operation between it and other countries already in space and which will help spur greater human achievements in space.

Here's hoping the Indians are next.

I'm known for knocking the US, but I will never knock them for their space program which for me, and many other people, represents the US at its best.

I've always hoped that there would be a manned mission to Mars in my lifetime. If you grew up in the 70s like I did, then you would realise the peculiar hold that space exploration has on people of our generation and the one before.
Old October 11, 2003, 19:29   #48
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 02:12
Drake what subject do you teach and to what age?

And 96th is not rock bottom. There are 188 nations in the world, so China is about in the middle. But 50 years ago they were so far back in standard of living and technology that it's not even funny. Now, they are ahead of a lot of the world. I'd say they are doing pretty well.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old October 11, 2003, 19:45   #49
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Morale boost?
Again, how is it helpful?
Old October 11, 2003, 20:39   #50
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Drake what subject do you teach and to what age?
That's a rather random question...

English language to high-school students.
Old October 11, 2003, 20:46   #51
Lonestar
inmate
King

Hopefully This will put a fire under NASA's ass.

[LBJ] I, for one, will not go to bed by light of a communist moon![/LBJ]
Old October 11, 2003, 22:39   #52
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
That's a real shame. There are lots of Chinese expats who are on the forefront of materials science. The Chinese government should find a way to bring them home and do something insanely great with them.
Outer space is a good place to manufacture exotic materials.
Old October 11, 2003, 23:03   #53
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Hopefully This will put a fire under NASA's ass.

[LBJ] I, for one, will not go to bed by light of a communist moon![/LBJ]
What year are you living in?

As soon as they prove themselves competent you can bet that the Chinese will want to help out with the ISS and other collaborative projects.

Do you remember the Apollo-Soyuz mission? I think that shows that the joy of human endeavour transcends political differences.
Old October 11, 2003, 23:04   #54
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 10:12
Quote:

Again, how is it helpful?
Morale boosts tend to make people happy
Old October 11, 2003, 23:49   #55
DanS
Deity

Quote:
Outer space is a good place to manufacture exotic materials.
Maybe so. I am not smart enough in the field to judge. But suffice it to say that these missions have not been put forward as benefitting materials science.

I wish China success in this endeavor. But I think this is not a good allocation of so many resources. I thought maybe China would learn from the US federal government experience in this regard. In the height of the push toward the moon, we spent over 1% of our economy on human space flight per year. Truly staggering sums.

In today's terms that would represent about $20 billion per annum for China and $100 billion for the US. $20 billion is the amount of all China's current R&D put together (both public and private) and about half its defense budget. We stopped spending so much after we landed on the moon because the science wasn't worth the cost after the propaganda value had been exhausted. We now spend about $5 billion per annum on manned space flight.

It takes a truly huge expenditure by the government to do this type of thing and the science payback is minimal. Consider yourself warned.

Last edited by DanS; October 12, 2003 at 00:03.
Old October 11, 2003, 23:52   #56
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:

What year are you living in?
1958, isn't everyone?
Old October 11, 2003, 23:56   #57
Drake Tungsten
Deity

This is one of the times I'm glad I'm not President. China is going to try to milk this for all the propaganda value they can get and I don't think I'd be able to restrain myself from making fun of them if I were the Pres. Holding a press conference to "welcome China to 1958" would be great fun, but the resulting international incident might not be so funny.
Old October 12, 2003, 00:02   #58
DanS
Deity

Bush is going to be in Asia during the launch, IIRC.
Old October 12, 2003, 00:06   #59
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Bush is going to be in Asia during the launch, IIRC.
Where at? It'd be kind of fun to meet my first American president in Japan, although I doubt he'll be doing much meeting and greeting while overseas.
Old October 12, 2003, 00:12   #60
DanS
Deity

Bush will land in Japan on the 17th. He's staying two days.

I guess the launch window is the Oct. 15 - 17.