Old November 4, 2003, 21:25   #31
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That was kind of what I was driving at, MM. Getting Smith's is almost a military decision for me, since my military explodes in size in the Industrial Age, and it usually gets me 250+ gpt in saved maintenance by the middle Ind Age, in addition to the extra gold generated by those trade improvements. Since I'm usually already ramped up scientifically and researching most techs in 4 turns, with the occasional 5 or even 6 turn tech, that money goes directly a) into the treasury to rush units, mainly, and b) to upkeep of those units as my intercontinental war machine gets cranked up to full power.

The bottom line is that, contrary to WOA's either/or proposition, by the time Smith's is in the picture, I have to build economy to build the military I want.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope