Old October 10, 2003, 18:16   #91
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 12:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nope.

I'm just saying that if Tel Aviv is attacked, then people around here may start glowing in the dark
Old October 10, 2003, 18:28   #92
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

I wasnt in your ignore list!? Now I'm insulted

- Paul Valery
Old October 10, 2003, 18:28   #93
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
I have no problem to understand my buddie's love-hate relationship with Israel. Whenever he got shot at, it was your army who were the bad guys. Israel has no respect at all for blue helmets and UN flags. I remember one time when a Swede and a French foreign legionerie on food delivery service to an outpost was taken hostage by some terrorists. Israel took care of the terrorist by killing both them and the hostages. I heard it on the radio news and called my buddies' mother to ask if he was safe. She did not know yet. 4 months later he came home and told us what had happened.
I'm sorry but I think there's a whole world of difference between storming an outpost killing both terrorists and hostages (which Israel frequently done even to it's own people) and to taking hostages in the first place.

Quote:
On other occations, whenever some lunatics fired some shots at Israeli border posts, they went berzerk with heavy machine guns and did not differ between foes and neutrals. Numerous UN personnel lost their life that way. My buddy had photos of the pools of blood left by several such events.
The UN similarly went Berzerk in africa when it's troops got attacked. I could search and bring you the reports of actual events if you insist.

Every side, when shot at, gets pretty pissed.

Quote:
A month or two ago, a UN resolution stated that it is a crime of war to attack personnel under UN flag (a consequense of the bombing against the UN office in Baghdad). Despite this, Israeli soldiers fired blindly across the border to Lebanon as late as this week, hitting UN vehicles.
The UN vehicles are supposed to guard the peace. When they do not do so they become an obstacle to hitting terrorists.

What did the UN soldiers did this week to stop Hezballa from killing an Israeli soldier in his outpost? Nothing.

I'm sure you would agree that there's a huge difference between answering with supposedly unrestrained fire, towards a source of fire, and with... driving a truck full of TNT into a civilian base.

Quote:
On the other hand, Israel was the only Western-oriented country in the region where the UN soldiers could go on leave, party at discos, drink their brains out and pick up local chicks. So they developed a love-hate relationship with the country. It is easy to understand their mixed emotions, given your army's lack of respect for the UN.
The UN is equally unrespectful of Israel.

If it had treated Israel with any respect, it would not have fueled the terrorists that kidnapped 3 Israeli soldiers, while the 3 wounded soldiers (who bled to death) were in the car.

And they wouldn't have gone through a tremendous effort to protect the indentities of said terrorists, when Israel found out about it, and demanded the films depicting the event.

Furthermore, under no circumstances does it justify what your half-wit friend did - referring to the Holocaust and treating Israeli civilians in a similar manner.
Old October 10, 2003, 18:29   #94
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Anyway are we all are at the same time zone?

- Paul Valery
Old October 10, 2003, 18:31   #95
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
You almost were, after a few insulting posts a year ago, when you practically ignored every arguement I made, answered no points, and kept posting wild accusations.
Old October 10, 2003, 18:34   #96
laurentius
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
Quote:
You almost were, after a few insulting posts a year ago, when you practically ignored every arguement I made, answered no points, and kept posting wild accusations.
Those were the days. Remember the Heat to quote Miami Vice

- Paul Valery
Old October 10, 2003, 18:35   #97
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
Anyway are we all are at the same time zone?
We switched the clock to winter time, so it's 00:35 here.
Old October 10, 2003, 18:39   #98
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 04:15
On page one I was thinking: man, too bad I haven't been here to say bye to Siro earlier..and then I see he is still here..FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!

Anyway, good luck in the army, and as Theben said earlier, you will be back, and we will be waiting ..almost like in the Shining.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old October 10, 2003, 18:39   #99
laurentius
King

You bastards, I want my extra hour too I just chatted about this with my boss today and we both cursed that at midday last monday of this month our workday will be hour longer than normally

It's so wrong! Why couldnt we get an extra hour to party in friday or saturday

- Paul Valery
Old October 10, 2003, 18:49   #100
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov

Furthermore, under no circumstances does it justify what your half-wit friend did - referring to the Holocaust and treating Israeli civilians in a similar manner.
Let me point out that my friend did not do this. It was a Norwegian who went "ARBEIT-GAZ-ARBEIT-GAZ..." to a line of people waiting outside a disco. But as my friend was one of the guys in the same party, he also had to run to avoid the angry crowd.

But that was not the worst event. A Finnish UN soldier on a bad hangover shot and killed a Mullah shanting dawn prayers from a minareth. "AAAALLLLAAAAAAHHHH... Oooh shut the F*CK up - BANG!". The Finn was sent home on a flight the same afternoon and the event was silenced to keep it from reaching media. It could had caused a huge international scandal and the total loss of trust from the locals.

I think it would take a couple of 500-post threads for us to solve the other issues of disagreement. I normally stay out of Israel-Palestinian discussions, as my basic opinion is that both sides act like idiots.
Old October 10, 2003, 18:50   #101
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
On page one I was thinking: man, too bad I haven't been here to say bye to Siro earlier..and then I see he is still here..FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!

I said I would leave, but I didn't say when

Just kidding. It's a matter of 24 hours from now. I wanted to make a thread in advance to allow many people to see it.

I'm an attention freak. I admit

Quote:
Anyway, good luck in the army, and as Theben said earlier, you will be back, and we will be waiting ..almost like in the Shining.
Thanks.

I admit I'll lurk here from time to time. I may post a short "cheers" But I will never "return" full time.
Old October 10, 2003, 18:52   #102
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:15
Goodbay Siro, I'm going to miss your post here in OT, where I read a lot but post few times...
Old October 10, 2003, 18:56   #103
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
Let me point out that my friend did not do this. It was a Norwegian who went "ARBEIT-GAZ-ARBEIT-GAZ..." to a line of people waiting outside a disco. But as my friend was one of the guys in the same party, he also had to run to avoid the angry crowd.
Oh, so it wasn't your friend. Anyway, I found offensive that you found it justifiable and to a point, amusing (or was it your friend that found it amusing. don't remember now).

Quote:
But that was not the worst event. A Finnish UN soldier on a bad hangover shot and killed a Mullah shanting dawn prayers from a minareth. "AAAALLLLAAAAAAHHHH... Oooh shut the F*CK up - BANG!". The Finn was sent home on a flight the same afternoon and the event was silenced to keep it from reaching media. It could had caused a huge international scandal and the total loss of trust from the locals.
Aha.

So basically you admit that many UN soldiers are insensitive, don't have a clue of what's happenning in the area, and act like brats.

Given that, I don't think you could justify the amount of anger you feel for Israelis in their sometimes unfriendly attitude to the UN.

Furthermore, I'm sure you would agree, that the UN troops aren't awlays the most understanding or tolerant bunch, and would often assume something was done on purpose against them, than think it might have been an error.

Quote:
I think it would take a couple of 500-post threads for us to solve the other issues of disagreement. I normally stay out of Israel-Palestinian discussions, as my basic opinion is that both sides act like idiots.
That's the whole problem. No more 500-post threads for me. I assume you might get to see 1 sighting of me per month... maybe a single post, maybe moer.
Old October 10, 2003, 18:57   #104
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 13:15
Our soldiers are men of honour. Even if they drink too much and do stupid things while toxicated or hangover.
Clearly the Mullah wasn't taking it into consideration that someone has a bad hangover.

Joking aside, those thigns happens every now and then.. our soldiers mostly get sent home when they screw up inside their own camps, and almost 95% of the reasons are that they were having some sauna sessions, drinking too much and partied a little too much. But other than that, I wouldn't say we are there to mess up things, but unfortunate things happens sometimes.

I can't be a UN soldier because I smoked pot when I was a teenager and got caught. I really don't even drink now, but I can't go because I'm clearly a lunatic. Truth is most of them drink too much there and are toxicated where as I'd be sober. But that's the way it goes I guess
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old October 10, 2003, 18:59   #105
Pekka
Emperor

And this only proves, that our soldiers are effective. Imagine what would happen if we were to make serious war when some drunk bozo on hangover can be such a dangerous killing machine?.. yeah, that's right, don't even try!

BUT, if I really was in charge, I would seriously think about alcohol problems as one criteria of who gets to go there on missions. I understand the need of releasing pressures and drinking beer and all that, sure get wasted every now and then but when these kinds of things happens.. it's a clear message of something gone wrong and there needs to be counter measures taken.
Old October 10, 2003, 19:01   #106
laurentius
King

Yeah and getting to UN RDF is quite hard. Not to mention you'll have to go through MP or SPol training. They train in PorPr with Nato training course so it's physically tough too

- Paul Valery
Old October 10, 2003, 19:03   #107
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Thanks yaroslav

Pekka - it only means you are lousy peace keepers with a snotty attitude

I love you finns though

* imagines this thread getting stormed by finns and turned into another finn thread *

Btw our soldiers aren't allowed to drink anything on duty. If they are on leave or outside of the area of operations, maybe.

But if a soldier in a palestinian town drinks something and then hurts somebody - unless he covers it up good, he'll sit in jail for a long long time.
Old October 10, 2003, 19:06   #108
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Don't drag the thread away from the main issue.

In 24 hours from now, I will stop making regular posts to this site for at least 4 and a half years.
Old October 10, 2003, 19:09   #109
Pekka
Emperor

edited: threadjacking.

Siro, Sorry about that
Old October 10, 2003, 19:11   #110
Chemical Ollie
King

UN troops who f*ck up get punished it their superiors find out. The guy who referred to the holocaust was never reported to the officers. If they found out, he would be toast. The Finn who killed the Mullah was (naturally).

Do Israeli soldiers who kill neutrals get punished?

EDIT: While I wrote this, you already answered the question partly (but not completely)
Old October 10, 2003, 19:16   #111
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:15
I don't see why the blue hats are so idolized by the ennui-set from Europe. Whenever you need any heavy-lifting, you call on the nuckle-draggers from the US.
Old October 10, 2003, 19:19   #112
laurentius
King

Are you talking about them american pussies who dont deploy before firing 500+ cruze missiles and bombing places from space or somethingfor at least 2 weeks?

- Paul Valery
Old October 10, 2003, 19:21   #113
Pekka
Emperor

That is the fault of their rules, not the fault of the men. The UN rules I mean. Rules of engagement.
Old October 10, 2003, 19:22   #114
Chemical Ollie
King

TCO, that's because it's the only way we could ever get US to pay your debt to the UN. In blood instead of dollars. And you love it all, don't you?

Sorry for the threadjack Siro. Stay safe, and don't nuke anyone, not even Syria. See you in Apolyton's 10th anniversary...
Old October 10, 2003, 19:22   #115
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Where do you think you;'d be in Kosovo without the US? Why does the US have to lead any commitment in Liberia. Trust the UN to get people killed. The US will rip throats out. If our boys go into combat, we want a death barrage hittiong the enemy.
Old October 10, 2003, 19:24   #116
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
TCO, that's because it's the only way we could ever get US to pay your debt to the UN. In blood instead of dollars. And you love it all, don't you?

Sorry for the threadjack Siro. Stay safe, and don't nuke anyone, not even Syria. See you in Apolyton's 10th anniversary...
Yes, except for we don't owe the UN ****. Why should we pay for aFrican thug dimplmats to blow off parking tickets in NYC? If you want to pay for useless bureacracies do it in Geneva.
Old October 10, 2003, 19:24   #117
laurentius
King

Why don't we continue this in some another thread TCO, because i'd loved to

- Paul Valery
Old October 10, 2003, 19:25   #118
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
That is the fault of their rules, not the fault of the men. The UN rules I mean. Rules of engagement.
ok. Point stands. This is not a **** size contest or a civ game.
Old October 10, 2003, 19:25   #119
Pekka
Emperor

UN doesn't go into combats?

edit: let's continue this in other thread, let's not threadjack Siro's leaving thread.
Old October 10, 2003, 19:26   #120
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 06:15
Good luck buddy!

And btw, some poly members really DON'T come back.
Albert Speer