Old October 10, 2003, 02:54   #1
jordie
PtWDG Lux InvictaCivilization III MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 20:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Question on workers
Do captured workers perform at a lesser rate than normal workers? Because it always seems it takes longer for my captured, celtic, chinese and mongolian workers to perform a fucntion....
Old October 10, 2003, 03:01   #2
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 12:18
Yes, they work at half speed.
--Woody Allen
Old October 10, 2003, 03:02   #3
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 19:18
I think they work at 50% efficiency. Trade them for something with other civs.
Old October 10, 2003, 03:02   #4
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 19:18
Oh, bugger; I was a little too slow on the trigger.
Old October 10, 2003, 03:08   #5
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

--Woody Allen
Old October 10, 2003, 03:08   #6
jordie
Warlord

AH ok thanks. I never knew that... that kinda sucks, most are my workers are captured. lol
Old October 10, 2003, 03:10   #7
jordie
Warlord

i'm guessing there isn't a way to make them work at 100% ?
Old October 10, 2003, 03:15   #8
Tiberius
Emperor

Note: they work at 50% efficiency compared to your workers, regardless of their original status (industrious or non-ind workers)
--Woody Allen
Old October 10, 2003, 03:23   #9
Tiberius
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jordie
AH ok thanks. I never knew that... that kinda sucks, most are my workers are captured. lol
They indeed are slower, but free of maintenance. So don't count them as "lazy" workers, but free, extra workers. It's a question of perspective
Seriously now, use them in pairs and Bingo!, you have full-speed, upkeep-free worker-pairs (assuming that you micromanage them). At the point where there are too many workers to micromanage the pairs, it doesn't really matters anymore, does it ?
Also, use your own workers for important, urgent tasks and the slaves for the rest of the jobs.

Quote:
Honestly I've never tried this and I have no idea whether this is possible or not. Look in the editor. If it is possible, you should find the option there.

Edit: using (keeping) slaves worsens the relations with their civ of origin. If you don't like them (the slaves) at all, sell/gift them to a third civ; thus both of them will look more favorable at you and in the same time you will ruin the diplomatic relations between two of your rivals.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; October 10, 2003 at 03:48.
Old October 10, 2003, 03:42   #10
jordie
Warlord

ah alright. Ive got 116 workers with probably about 50-70 of them being from other countries (I've defeated 9 others and on the way of another 2). So a lot of my workers are running at 50% hmm.. interesting. I guess I'll continue to use them, but I'll also make some more of my own.

Thanks for the help!
Old October 10, 2003, 04:14   #11
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:18
Definitely worth keeping. I usually try to get an obscene number of captured workers up through the Industrial Age, then once I've got everything railroaded, my native workers start looking for cities to optimize (which in the case of captured metros usually results in building even more workers to get pop down as I mine what was irrigated). Once I have it all railroaded, I keep all my natives fortified together in a central spot. When I notice that I'm consistently having some left over, I add them to cities, a process that really starts once my hospitals get built, but only in a trickle for a while. Get rid of them as fast as you can without sacrificing jobs that need to get done. In my current game I had 150+ native workers at the height of railroad fury. I'm down to 35 now and have about 100 captured workers automated for pollution control, and more in reserve. So I'm thinking this will be a game I can get an entirely non-native workforce at some point.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old October 10, 2003, 11:37   #12
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:18
Quote:
Edit: using (keeping) slaves worsens the relations with their civ of origin. If you don't like them (the slaves) at all, sell/gift them to a third civ; thus both of them will look more favorable at you and in the same time you will ruin the diplomatic relations between two of your rivals.
Selling "guest" workers (of any nationality) supposedly worsens relations also, though perhaps not on such a sustained basis as keeping them. The worst thing you can do with guest workers is disband (kill) them. Best to add them to your cities, relations-wise, but then those cities may become more corrupt; and if you get into a war with the same civ again -- instant war weariness!

Personally, I keep using them usually. I might establish radar towers, airfields, etc. with them.

EDIT: Per Bamspeedy's AI Attitude article at CFC and the associated forum discussion, using guest workers does NOT affect relations.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 10, 2003, 16:03   #13
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 03:18
Quote:
Yes there is, play an Industrious Civ. They get double the Worker speed of other civ types.
Old October 10, 2003, 19:37   #14
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

but still oonly 50% of your own native workers....

the captured ones never are as good as your own.

I personally keep them as they usually amoun to a large workforce eventually and i usually stick the foriengers on auto and allow them to do the non urgetn stuff, keeping my natives to do the stuff i need immediatly .
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old October 10, 2003, 20:51   #15
jordie
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
[q]The worst thing you can do with guest workers is disband (kill) them.
ohhh... damn. lol

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
[q]Personally, I keep using them usually. I might establish radar towers, airfields, etc. with them.
Hmm not a bad idea, i never considered that before.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
[q]but still oonly 50% of your own native workers....

the captured ones never are as good as your own.
Ah ok. Thanks for the answer. Would be good if there was someway to turn foreign wokrers into your own, or perhaps over time would be good.
Old October 10, 2003, 21:12   #16
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:

Ah ok. Thanks for the answer. Would be good if there was someway to turn foreign wokrers into your own, or perhaps over time would be good.
wel lyou can add them to your own citys and then overtime they will be converted to your nationality, then you cna build a worker agian and voila , native worker !!!
Old October 13, 2003, 04:27   #17
georges bonbon
Warlord

Local Time: 10:18
[QUOTE] [SIZE=1] Originally posted by Jaybe Personally, I keep using them usually. I might establish radar towers, airfields, etc. with them.

If keeping slaves has a negative influence on attitude with the related civilization, why should using slaves to build radar towers, etc. not have the same effect?
Old October 13, 2003, 05:57   #18
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

because they die making the radar tower so they cant complain anymore
Old October 13, 2003, 06:01   #19
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
because they die making the radar tower so they cant complain anymore
According to Jaybe: "The worst thing you can do with guest workers is disband (kill) them."

So is there a difference in killing and killing by building radar towers?
Old October 13, 2003, 06:04   #20
georges bonbon
Warlord

Another question:

Is there a difference between having slaves and making them work?

Or is just having them enough for a bad attitude?
Old October 13, 2003, 06:28   #21
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

well the ai is going to hate you anyway so stuff it , keeep the slaves at work ....
Old October 13, 2003, 06:47   #22
latka
Settler

Let's talk about the other side of the coin. If you are at war with a civ and capture a 3rd civs workers from them, can one give them back to the 3rd civ to improve their relation? If yes, how significant is it improvement?
Old October 13, 2003, 14:55   #23
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:18
Quote:
Originally posted by latka
Let's talk about the other side of the coin. If you are at war with a civ and capture a 3rd civs workers from them, can one give them back to the 3rd civ to improve their relation? If yes, how significant is it improvement?
The way I understand it, the only relation improvement you'll get from this is the gifting bonus. IOW, you'd get the same improvement by giving the AI whatever amount of gold it considers equivalent to the worker.

Quote:
Personally, I keep using them usually. I might establish radar towers, airfields, etc. with them.
I used to do this, as well, but now I reserve my native workers for the "consuming" tasks. Native workers are replenishable, where captured workers, for the most part, are not. Keep all the captured workers you get to save on maintenance costs. Remember 2 slaves = 1 native work wise, but the 2 slaves are free.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Old October 16, 2003, 09:29   #24
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by georges bonbon
According to Jaybe: "The worst thing you can do with guest workers is disband (kill) them."

So is there a difference in killing and killing by building radar towers?
i wouldn't call it killing them.

"adding them to the radar tower staff" may be more appropriate ...

they'll probably do it voluntarily anyway, because operating a radar is a lot more fun than digging mines, laying RR-tracks and irrigating farmland
Old October 16, 2003, 20:42   #25
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 06:18
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
"adding them to the radar tower staff" may be more appropriate ...

they'll probably do it voluntarily anyway, because operating a radar is a lot more fun than digging mines, laying RR-tracks and irrigating farmland
I recently used a captured Japanese worker to build a radar tower. Do I really trust the "radar tower staff" to tell me when the Yamato and the Musashi come steaming around my territory?

or even...I guess I shouldn't add my captured Arab worker to a city...INSTANT AL QAEDA CELL. Maybe I'll add them to my island city - "Guantanamo Bay"
Old October 17, 2003, 05:13   #26
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 11:18

Does anyone pay for the captured workers BTW? I always thought the original civ did but as I have never lost workers to the AI I never had the change to find out. But today I loaded a PBEM save where my civ had lost 1 worker to a foreign (human)civ. I carefully examined both F1 and F3 but couldn't find that I paid for him.

So, who does? If they always are free then we have a possible new PBEM exploit. Just share all your workers with an ally and you both end up with a maintance free worker-force.
Old October 17, 2003, 07:54   #27
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

it's a trade-off between price and efficiency. chopping down that jungle in 12 or 24 turns does make a big difference...
Old October 17, 2003, 11:24   #28
Outsider
Settler

I use them as inefficient laborers until I wipe their original nation's last city off the map, THEN add them to my cities. No unhappiness problems then.
Old October 17, 2003, 11:53   #29
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:18
Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
So, who does? If they always are free then we have a possible new PBEM exploit. Just share all your workers with an ally and you both end up with a maintance free worker-force.
This would be a good idea except for two things. One is the time it takes to get them into the capitol and then out doing work.
The other is you would have to have twice as many. Yes they cost nothing to maintain, but they are expensive to build.
Old October 17, 2003, 17:05   #30
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 11:18
You don't have to send them to the capitol, send them to the border and exchange them in a 'fake' war.