Old October 11, 2003, 04:13   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Idea to get the game moving - turnthreads
I have an idea:

part of the reason for our stalling in the game has been finding a time enough people can make it to a chat. Well what if we resurrect the idea of turnthreads, at least for a short time.

For those unfamiliar with the idea, this is just where the Minsiters post slightly more detailed orders than usual, and the President/VP can play at least SOME turns away from chat if necessary. This means that everyone has the time to get orders posted, and the Prez/VP can play whenever they are free, whether that time suits everyone for a chat or not.

This was used for a time in the SPDG's history, and is the only way the Civ2 Democracy Game is played. It can work very well.

So what does everyone think? If this is fine, Ministers please look at the save and post some nice orders in the Chat 8 Orders thread. Then, when Maki, Kloreep or even I need to play the game, we can do so when there is time, and we don;t need to delay any longer - let's keep the game going!

I intend to do more detailed orders than those I already posted over the next 24 hours. Please, if you are a Minister, or just a citizen who notices something that should be done (especially as we are without a Supreme Military Commander right now!), then go ahead and post on it, and if the Ministers don't come up with anything better, you have just aided the nation more than they!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 11, 2003, 04:21   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 03:21
I like it!!! I've never been too jazzed about everything being decided in chat because I've rarely been able to make the chat times. Plus that's also why I've never run for a ministerial position.

I won't be able to do it tonight (1:30am my time right now and I'm heading to bed soon), but I'd be happy to take a look at the save and give opinions.
Old October 11, 2003, 06:27   #3
sprudl
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 12:21
The turnchats would be great. It's impossible for everyone to attend all chats.
If orders are posted in the forum as much as possible everyone can keep up with what's happening and the game won't stall as easily. After the turns are played there should be very detailed feedback too.

On the other hand, waging war depends on random numbers. It's not easy to be very detailed about war in a turnthread. At least not for a lot of turns with all possible outcomes. The SMC would probably have to attend as much chats as possible. Having other ministers and citizens around wouldn't hurt either I think

What's the status of the SMC position anyway? I lost track of who's a candidate and who's not.
Old October 11, 2003, 08:05   #4
GarP2
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:21
I very much agree on the turnthreads. Even if only one move per turn was played that could potentially be one move per day or 2, since I bet most of us check 'poly almost daily. In unusual situations (when Murphy was asleep) where everything went as planned on the AI's turn, a second Viking turn could be played immediately without taking it back to the forum. But even at 1 turn per 1-2 days, that's a lot more progress than we're making now. Plus everyone gets to see the discussion, which, after all, is one of the most important parts of playing this game.

GarP2
Old October 11, 2003, 10:04   #5
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 04:21
yes, this is a good idea, it'll give us more time to put are thoughts in.
Old October 11, 2003, 10:08   #6
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 05:21
Resurrecting turnchats is a very good idea. It's hard for everyone to get together at a turnchat at one time. This will also keep the game moving (albeit slowly, perhaps) and will hopefully prevent it from dying out like the SPDG2 did.
Old October 11, 2003, 12:50   #7
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

For the record, I absolutely hate turnthreads. I love turnchats. I honestly think that if the ministers write down their orders ahead of time, that gives something for Prez/VP to follow in a chat if the minister has a RL issue and doesn't show up. It ALSO means that even if the minister is there, the chat runs smoothly and quickly unless an issue arises that the minister needs to change his orders on (as otherwise you just follow what they wrote).

The other thing we need is for ministers to designate deputy ministers, just the person/people (in order) that have the power to change their posted orders in a chat if changed circumstances arise. If they don't name a deputy, the President/VP is automatically their deputy (as in the Con).

It's a pretty simple system and it should work. The BIG key is that ministers, whether they plan to be present or not, need to WRITE DOWN their orders. The one that I can see being an exception is the SMC, who really needs to either be present or name a deputy who will be (or leave his power to the President).

Even if we're in a war and you can't predict ahead of time specific orders for each unit, you can at least write down in the orders thread a general idea of military strategy that whoever is commanding the units in a chat can follow, barring unforseen circumstances.

Orders threads also provide a public place where citizens can see what the ministers are ordering our forces to do and can, when they feel they should, comment and provide suggestions. This is what a democracy game is about.

With only 6 cities and 18 units, it shouldn't be much trouble at all. A little effort for the game to run much more smoothly and efficiently.
Old October 11, 2003, 21:17   #8
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I agree we need orders threads regardless of turnchat or turnthread. But considering the last two chats we've tried were cancelled due to low turnout, it's definitely time to go to turnthreads.
Old October 12, 2003, 20:49   #9
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 19:21
excellent
Old October 13, 2003, 02:16   #10
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

I like it too as a temporary fix for the low turnout It's hard to get enthused when no-one shows up *feels for MrWIA*

I was trying to start the ministers in the orders habit before I left, so I obviously like that idea ^_^ I do want us to get back to turn chats at some point but that's likely going to be once we're bigger and more 'exciting'
Old October 13, 2003, 06:45   #11
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

for turnthreads.
Old October 13, 2003, 10:23   #12
sprudl
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Makahlua
I do want us to get back to turn chats at some point but that's likely going to be once we're bigger and more 'exciting'
I think we should always have a thread with orders even if it's just to keep people informed.
But IMHO the final decision should be made during the chat. So all ministers should try to attend as much chats as possible. If they can't, there's still something to fall back on.

Now we should go crush the Persians
Old October 13, 2003, 12:41   #13
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:21
Plan a chat.
See if all the ministers are planning to turn up.
If yes, hold the chat.
If not, hold a turnthread for a few turns.
Repeat.