Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 11:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by SSBLoveU
I like the idea of natural disasters. (
I don't like the idea. Each tile in civ3 represents ALOT of land, I think it's stupid that a volcano will destroy a hole country. And I didn't like it in simcity at all.
Can you turn it off?

The new iPod nano: nano
Old October 26, 2003, 06:15   #32
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 11:22
I don't like the volcano idea either. Realism aside, it's just a very crude way to insert some "you-cannot-do-anything-about-it" setbacks. It's also funny to see Firaxis tout this as a big thing;

" More Disasters: Beware the volcanoes, or Pompeii could become your reality. "

While in fact the very same stunning volcano concept dates back to at least 1995 when Master of Magic was released, which also featured them.
Old October 26, 2003, 14:27   #33
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:22
I too do not want to see any arbitrary disaters in any game. I loathe random events. I can take them, if they can be corrected, but otherwise they sucks.
Old October 26, 2003, 14:34   #34
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:22
Well, I for one, am looking forward to the random disasters in C3C...but I would imagine that they can be turned off when one sets up the game...
Old October 27, 2003, 19:43   #35
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Local Time: 06:22
We all enjoy winning. Disasters can be very depressing. However, in real life there are wildfires, earthquakes, rain delays, snow and other such things. In World War II, the Germans did not consider the Russian snow. Military campaigns are often planned around disasters. Disasters, no matter how saddening, make the game more realistic. Living with disappointment is a part of life. Earlier ships sank because of waves. The Navy had to learn how to cope with waves, and now ships and submarines rarely sink due to natural causes. A perfect playing field is idea. And when this happens there will be no war and no conflict. Everything will be perfect, nothing like a barbarian ruining a perfect day though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Well, I for one, am looking forward to the random disasters in C3C...but I would imagine that they can be turned off when one sets up the game...