Old October 31, 2003, 08:10   #61
Conqueror
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton UniversityC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
King

Local Time: 12:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
250 AD sent

a chat sounds nice. i am open to other options aswell.
Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2003, 17:36   #62
Gyromancer
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:26
I'm Baaack!

Turn > Iroquois
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"
Gyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2003, 20:33   #63
ayronis
Prince

Local Time: 10:26
Round 138-
260 AD to Mongols

aštassi kammu naklu ša šumeri ṣullulu akkadű ana šutēšuri ašṭu
"I am able to read texts so sophisticated that the Sumerian is obscure and the Akkadian hard to explain" (King Assurbanipal of Assyria 7th century BC)
ayronis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2003, 21:46   #64
ayronis
Prince

As for the anniversary, how does this sound:

* Wednesday Nov. 5th (so as not to compete with the C3C release party)
* 7pm - 8pm APOLYTON TIME (I am free all night after 2pm so this is totally flexible)
* Purpose: A fun chat to celebrate a full year of playing together. Perhaps a brief introduction to who we are in RL and a discussion of the more enjoyable parts of our game. At this time I would also like to construct a rough timeline of the most important events (basically anything that you want recorded) and to agree to some names for the basic geographic areas of our map. {To prepare for this please make a list of the events you want recorded in the official chronology and take a look at your version of the map. Perhaps you should 'clean map' (CTRL-SHIFT-M) and copy the pic so you can view it during the chat}.
> I will eventually post the Chronology on the 1st page of this thread. Later in the game, once we all have copies of the same map, I'll update the post with a geographic map of "our world".
* Software: ICQ is the preferred choice so far, but AIM, Irc or any web-based chat-room are all possiblities. We could always just crash 'poly's chat-room if you don't mind making it public.

If anyone has any other ideas or problems please speak up. Although the official day is Nov. 4th we can celebrate anytime that is convenient for everyone.

Edit: Updated with Clegg's preferences

"I am able to read texts so sophisticated that the Sumerian is obscure and the Akkadian hard to explain" (King Assurbanipal of Assyria 7th century BC)

Last edited by ayronis; November 3, 2003 at 08:58.
Old November 3, 2003, 00:26   #65
Clegg
Prince

Local Time: 03:26
260 AD to Carths

Wednesday sounds fine, although I will not be available until 7 pm Apolyton time (might be able to make 6 pm if necessary). Would prefer ICQ or poly chat.
Clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2003, 15:36   #66
Tragicus
Warlord

260 AD To Greece

chat on November fourth would be great and a cram session too if it is possible
Tragicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2003, 22:26   #67
ayronis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tragicus
260 AD To Greece

chat on November fourth would be great and a cram session too if it is possible
Please note that it is on the 5th, not the 4th. Tomorrow (the 4th) is the C3C release party.

The cram session sounds like a fine idea. If we can pull this together I don't see any reason why we can't bounce the turn around a few times.

Old November 3, 2003, 23:37   #68
Gyromancer
Prince

This all sounds good. I'll try to make it home from work by 7 that day. Note that that time will be 2-3AM for Conqueror...
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"
Old November 4, 2003, 11:15   #69
Gyromancer
Prince

Well, as promised, for the 1st anniversary, a (very) short piece of fiction..... (Let me know if you want this to go somewhere else, for now I'm just going to let it ride the turn thread.)

-----------------------------------------------------
The sun was just beginning to peek over the horizon of the eastern ocean. Miko cast a glance out across Kyoto harbor. The rose-red glow of Hiro's great chariot warmed his face and made his eyes water.

Tonight would be a night that will be talked about for generations, perhaps to the end of time. The great light tower of Hiro was finally finished. After hundreds of years of single-minded determination the final stone had been lain at the crest of the great tower. At sundown tonight, Hiro's high priest, the thirtieth great Hiromancer, would light the great flame for the first time, in a ceremony to call Hiro's blessing upon his children.

Miko thought of the many in the Republic who did not agree with the building of the great monument. Many of the priests thought that the effort would have been better spent on a great temple, where they might receive greater guidance from the enigmatic Crier of the Desert. Others wanted a great garden, where the waters of Hiro's tear might bring wondrous plants to life and heal the souls of many. Still others wanted the effort spent on improving trade and commerce, expanding upon ideas that the great explorer Mitsu brought back from the lands to the west on his daring voyages across the Tracks of Hiro, the trecherous passage that was the only way to reach the western lands.

The twenty-fourth Hiromancer decreed hundreds of years ago that the monument to Hiro would be a great tower of light, to show him that his children were faithful guardians of the most holy wastes, where he shed the tear that brought forth life, and left the gift of holy incense that his children might remember.

An old sea captain had told Miko once that when the light tower was complete, it would light the way across the Tracks of Hiro and make that risky voyage much safer. The light of the tower (and other smaller copies that are to be first lit at the same time) should be visible many miles out to sea. Perhaps some of the wondrous items brought back from the west that sit in the great council chamber might become more commonplace then.

Regardless, now that the tower is complete, many workers will finally be able to return to the fields. Miko's stomach growled at the thought. For many years now the people of Kyoto had been hungry, as the food stocks dwindled while farm workers were brought in for a final push to finish the tower. Now, in the 250th year after Mitsu's great voyage, great days would be upon the people again.

Miko turned from the sun, now blazing across the eastern horizon, and set about his task. So much remained to be done for the festival. He wanted to make his contribution worthy of the stories that he knew he would tell his grandchildren in the years to come.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old November 4, 2003, 16:37   #70
Conqueror
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton UniversityC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
King

260 AD sent

Mail me when and where the chat is going to take place. Thats the most certain way since i've been having problems getting into 'poly lately.
Old November 4, 2003, 21:02   #71
Gyromancer
Prince

Turn > Iroquois
Old November 4, 2003, 21:11   #72
Gyromancer
Prince

I dusted off my ICQ # and added it to my profile just in case that's what we end up using. I should be home by 7 tomorrow, but dont fret if I'm a bit late. (The city is putting in a new stoplight at a major intersection near my home and things may get a bit hairy on the way home tomorrow.....
Old November 4, 2003, 22:10   #73
ayronis
Prince

Happy Anniversary!! One Full Year Together!

Round 139-
270 AD to Mongols

Old November 4, 2003, 22:33   #74
ayronis
Prince

Fun story Gyromancer! That explains the starvation we've been hearing about. I'd figured as much.

I dug up my old ICQ number and have added it as well. So here is the plan:

ASNG PBEM Anniversary Party-
* Using ICQ
* Nov. 5th - 7pm APOLYTON TIME
* To prepare, please have a rough idea of some of the events you want recorded in our chronology, and have a copy of our map that you can reference.
* If everyone is able to participate, we will simulatenously be passing the file around for as long as everyone is able.

** Everyone: If poly is down tomorrow, email me your ICQ numbers immediatly and I will send out a mass email with all of our numbers.

Any problems? Post them here or write me and I'll do my best to cater to everyone. I'm buying a bottle of wine to celebrate with you gentlemen. See you tomorrow.

Old November 5, 2003, 13:44   #75
Clegg
Prince

Will play the turn shortly, having busy time with work.

Will be at the chat! ICQ number is in my profile.
Old November 5, 2003, 15:01   #76
Conqueror
King

Cant propably make it to chat So no cram session (unfortunately)

I'll have to go to bed soon because an important meeting came up tomorrow morning 8.00 and i need to be sharp there

If i'd hang out for the chat i'd get virtually no sleep at all since the chat would be in the middle of the night for me.

But have fun anyway Seems like cram session always fails, grr. Maybe some weekend tho when nobody has to wake up early.
Old November 5, 2003, 16:58   #77
ayronis
Prince

So what you're saying is that it'll be pick on the Greeks night? Sounds good to me!

But seriously, thats too bad that you can't make it Conqueror. I think it would be much more fun if everyone is there. Would the rest of you mind if we waited until Conqueror can make it? Here are a list of alternatives that I can do it on:

(All times are APOLYTON time)
Friday Nov 7: anytime after 16:00
Saturday, Nov 8: anytime after 16:00
Sunday: All day

I don't mind waiting till everyone can participate if the rest of you don't.

Last edited by ayronis; November 5, 2003 at 17:04.
Old November 5, 2003, 18:04   #78
ayronis
Prince

Okay.... looks like i can't make it either.

Something just came up at my work and they would really like me to help them out tonight. Since Conqueror can't make it I am going to go do this. I am sorry for those of you who have rescheduled things... I am sure we will pull this off eventually. Take a look at my availabilities and see if there is a time we can all get together.

Have a good night my friends. Happy Anniversary

Old November 5, 2003, 18:18   #79
Clegg
Prince

Work emergency came up for me as well so I wasn't going to be able to make it. Happy anniversary though!

I'll try to play the turn within the next few hours.
Old November 5, 2003, 21:19   #80
Clegg
Prince

270 AD to Carths.

I could do a chat Friday anytime after about 21:00, or anytime Saturday or Sunday.
Old November 6, 2003, 08:03   #81
Gyromancer
Prince

Rgar sounds good to me too. Just give me a little bit of warning and I can rearrange my weekend schedule.
Old November 6, 2003, 19:50   #82
Tragicus
Warlord

270 AD to Greece
Tragicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2003, 20:15   #83
Gyromancer
Prince

Never Mind .....
Old November 7, 2003, 00:04   #84
ayronis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Gyromancer
Never Mind .....
huh?

So Saturday night looks like it would be best for me. I'm free basically all night after 16:00 Apolyton Time. Does that work for everyone?

Old November 7, 2003, 12:24   #85
Conqueror
King

270 AD sent
Old November 7, 2003, 21:06   #86
Gyromancer
Prince

Turn > Iroquois

I can probably make it tomorrow night. Let me know what time if you guys decide on anything.....
Old November 8, 2003, 02:32   #87
ayronis
Prince

Round 140-
280 AD to Mongols

A beautiful girl asked me to dinner tomorrow night so I don't think I can make it afterall boys.

Old November 8, 2003, 11:23   #88
Clegg
Prince

280 AD to Carths
Old November 8, 2003, 16:26   #89
Conqueror
King

280 AD sent
Old November 8, 2003, 19:15   #90
Gyromancer
Prince

Turn > Iroquois