Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 06:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
One other thing...

Is your handle "Guynemer" because you really like the game "Blue Max", because you have an interest in WWI fighter pilots through some other route, or is it something else entirely?
Blue Max? Never heard of it.

Red Baron... now there was a WWI flight sim, young whippersnapper...
Old October 28, 2003, 09:52   #122
Outsider
Settler

Local Time: 10:27
Blue Max is a very quick to learn/easy to play tabletop game that was made by Game Designers Workshop before they went out of business. It was published in 1983, I think, and I've first played it probably a year or two after that.

This "Red Baron" flight sim you speak of, is it a "program" for one of those new fangled "digital computers" I keep hearing about?
Old October 28, 2003, 09:54   #123
Stuie
King

Blue Max was also a video game for the Atari 800.
Old October 28, 2003, 13:33   #124
Guynemer
Emperor

Ooopsie.
Old October 28, 2003, 22:28   #125
GRM7584
Settler

Sum total of ideas: (many "borrowed" from SMAC, CTP, Lords o.t. Realm, Imperialism, "insert title of strategy game here")

Like the notion of "Unit type" flags so we can have unit-specific combat bonuses. Also like the carrier-based aircraft limitation notion. There ought to be torpedo bombers for carriers that are specifically anti-ship units, it would certainly stop me from my "only build battleships" tendencies. And of course I'm sick of seeing frigates and ironclads win (or even do damage) against subs and battleships, its ridiculous.

I think tech trading should be seriously altered, it unbalances the game like crazy IMHO: If I check techs every turn with every other AI civ and get the best deals with everyone, a deity game plays like a chieftain game. Ok, maybe thats a bit exaggerated. You catch the drift, though. On the flipside, if I miss out on so much as one big AI tech trading session, I'm completely screwed. It feels I'm like being punished for not ultra-micro-managing, or rewarded for getting a lucky deal. I think perhaps having the option of NOT trading techs and instead simply reducing the cost by number of other civs (you have contact with) that have or are researching the tech would make a lot more sense. Another option would be age-based constraints on techs: techs are significantly more costly to research the earlier it is from their "ideal" date (so trying to research computers in 1800 is going to be a bit harder than in 1950).

Static Militia: Each city has X number of the best available defensive units (at conscript level), where X is the city size (town, city, metropolis, not the population). So an industrial era metropolis with access to rubber would have 3 immobile conscript infantry.
You could have all sorts of modifying factors to it if you wanted (government, number of cities, etc.) but that seems a bit superfluous, assuming the idea isn't already superfluous enough. Which it is. I just cringe at the hypothetical situation of a warrior trotting into a modern day metropolis with no resistance.

Instead of just military or scientific leaders, why not have *every* trait able to make a leader?
Expansionist: Build a new city (better chances for getting one the more cities you already have when a city is built). Expansionist leader could instantly add to a citys population, or maybe be set to turn a city into a *real* settler factory by making a settler at no cost every 5 turns for the next 20 turns.
Commercial: Hard to think of how a leader could be generated, but their effects are fairly straightforward, just double the tax income or increase by 50 percent the commerce, or something along those lines.
Religious: Liked the proposal for a religious leader and the cultural leader already mentioned...maybe have a religious leader have a chance to pop every time cultural borders expand (past the first time, of course). And they could give a temporary bonus in the way of happy faces and culture (I'm thinking of it in terms of a temporary and invisible Bach's Cathedral/Hanging Gardens)
Industrious: Perhaps every time a city reaches a "benchmark" shield production (something like 15 shields in the ancient age, 30 in medieval, etc.) there's a chance one of these fellows pops up. They could, of course, increase shield production in a city, or perhaps instantly build a number of tile improvements (instant transcontinental railroad! whee!)
And for our upcoming traits:
Agricultural: When a city "grows" a level, or maybe hits a benchmark food surplus. Kind of hard to think of any historical agricultural leaders, but maybe thats just me. Anyhow, they could increase food production or maybe instantly irrigate a citys surroundings (guess thats the same as industrious leader).
Seafaring: The idea of a naval leader has already been thoroughly discussed, and this would be a great trait to implement it under.
Also, I think the instant wonder popping is a bit too powerful, and would be even more powerful if every single civ has two ways to get a leader...maybe instantly contribute half a wonders cost instead of all, but still be able to rush normal improvements (or even small wonders)? It would also be neat to see military leaders actually *make* several new units instead of just absorbing other units into one army. Perhaps make armies upgradable too; I don't think it would unbalance the game, since my armies end up dying after 2 victories anyhow.

Era-specific tile improvement graphics. This would be great. Maybe even *tile* specific tile improvement graphics. So, we can see latticeworks of irrigation in the ancient era (like what we see in the default graphics set), but in the medieval era we actually see crops, and in the industrial and modern ages we can see teeny little barns and fences and such. As for tile specific, this way we could have a square with oil, when mined, show up as having an oil derrick, or having roaded/railroaded areas in tundra and desert appear much sparser (while I can forgive and even approve of the messy tangle of transportation around my grassland cities, seeing tundra at the edge of my continent with the same thickness of railroads is disconcerting).

While I like the notion of Civil Wars, I don't like the "split in half" motif of previous civs (was it in civ 1? I swear I remember that happening once or twice. Last time I played it was when I was a wee lad, though, so who knows). Instead, take a certain number of cities, say the number of cities you need to have a forbidden palace (8 on average map, methinks) and multiply by 1.5. For every city after this that you build, you increase your chance each turn of having a "civil war" by a tiny percentage (1% per city, perhaps). So, on an average map, having 15 cities (3 over the 12 city roof) you would have a 3% chance per turn of experiencing a civil war, and perhaps this base chance could be increased for things like cities in disorder, or decrease for WLTKD. A civil war wouldn't split your empire in half, but rather, you would lose a certain number of cities that were most distant from your capital, in this example, maybe a little over or under 3 (or right on 3). You would have the option of declaring war on this new civ or just letting them have their independence; if you recapture your cities, you don't lose all the culture like you normally would if you capture an enemy city. And if an enemy captures a city that has seceded from you, well, tough luck, unless you want to declare war on them on your own. The idea here is that big empires will have to put more funds into luxuries to stave off civil wars, or risk losing cities without any battles, whereas smaller empires don't even have to worry. It makes sense, historically speaking, if you ask me.

Random events. Just regular old random events. SMAC has some basic kinds, like bumper crops or industrial boom, and MOO has some too, but even the pesky "fires destroy temple in hamburg: citizens demand aquaduct!" messages from civ1 added a little extra flavor, albeit annoying flavor.

Visible trade routes: yes, stol...er...inspired directly from CTP. While the little moving icons tended to messy up the screen, I still think it was nice to see them, and it was also nice that you could pirate them. yarr.

Unit trading, yum.
Perhaps also have mercenaries from nearby civs (as in, they use the technology and/or flavor units [in scenarios/mods] from nearby civs...I dont mean units disband from other civs and come wandering over to you) sometimes show up at your doorstep asking for employment. Mercenaries were at least fairly significant during the middle ages, although perhaps putting limitations on other eras would be wise to keep a little closer to history.

Once a city gets over 6, maybe have little hamlets pop up on nearby squares to represent the growing population. I'm thinking of a LotRealm2-type implementation, perhaps to the degree that they could be torched by invading forces (or have their own static militia!) To this same effect, it would be cool to see great wonders show up in or around the city they are built in, or even show little construction sites while they are being built! (which could, of course, be sabotaged/pillaged)

I like having a UN that acts like the planetary council from SMAC. Jolly good ideas posted in that respect.

I have always played my games with all the spaceship components at the very end of the tech tree, mostly because some of the tech assosciations seem ridiculous and a bit too early for me. How is my civ building a massive cryogenic chamber without even a rudimentary understanding of human genetics?! Doesn't make any sense. I also usually play with jungles, forests, deserts, and tundra as all being un-settleable, jungles and forests as being unclearable, and i set it so each terrain has one improvement option (mining for forests, jungles, deserts, tundra, mountains, hills; irrigation for others). I guess my point here (and its hard to see any point in all that rambling) is that it would be neat to have "official" alternate rulesets, if nothing else than to see what other ideas the developers had about the way the game should work.

For pollution: Yes, it is tedious, but something that would make it a lot less tedious is that it just reduces production (ie railroaded, mined bonus grassland produces one of everything, roaded, irrigated desert produces one of everything, mined, railroaded mountain produces 1 shield and commerce). The main idea is that whoever is working that still will stay on it, and you wont have to reset the city to work it after you've cleaned the tile up. It would also be nice to have, instead of "shift-p", an option under preferences that makes any 'free' (IE not working) worker automatically go to and clean up pollution as it pops up.

Yes, that was all one idea. Yes, I am a lurker and I made an account just to post that one idea. I apologize profusely if any of that one idea (with no credit given, that is) has already been mentioned in this thread or other threads and I somehow missed them. I apologize profusely also for the excess of information, math, asides, and unnecessary concepts. And wordiness. And tedium. All done.
Old October 29, 2003, 14:29   #126
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 12:27
Re: If you could add one new improvement to Civ3...
Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
What would it be and why?

I am not talking just about city improvements, I am talking about any aspect of the game.

Just one!

hi ,

unit trading , with or without the tech as an option

the second thing would be the trading of maps with the choice of not giving your own map or the one of your allies of that moment , ......

more units like a C-130 or an attack helicopter

have a nice day
Old October 29, 2003, 16:16   #127
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

A more involved espionage system.
1) spy insertion shouldn't cause a war!
1a) even successfully capturing a spy that actually did damage should not necessarily lead to war.
2) more kinds of spy results, like instead of getting a whole tech, just get x beakers for a tech.
3) a spy that slows down an opponents tech research.
4) a spy that increases corruption or increases the chance for a pollution square to appear.
5) a spy that assasinates a great leader when the opponent attempts to use that GL to build a wonder, army or whatever.
6) a spy that can destroy completed spaceship parts
7) a spy that can commit sabotage or tech theft and manage to frame another empire.
8) a spy that can increase the chance for a cultural flip
9) a spy that can cause a town to surrender without firing a shot (less chance of success in modern age).
10) spies introduced earlier in the game, perhaps with establishment of embassy
11) a spy that decreases the effectiveness of the opponent's military units
Old October 29, 2003, 17:52   #128
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 03:27
Eliminate workers entirely and replace them with a system similar to CTP of automated tile improvements. Moving workers around the map is tedious and ruins the game.
Old October 29, 2003, 19:34   #129
SSBLoveU
Warlord

My use of workers help me greatly to build a civilization and protect it..

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Eliminate workers entirely and replace them with a system similar to CTP of automated tile improvements. Moving workers around the map is tedious and ruins the game.
Old October 29, 2003, 20:04   #130
Guynemer
Emperor

Quote:

That is the one and only thing that I'd bring over from CTP. A brilliant idea.
Old October 29, 2003, 20:07   #131
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer

Actually I like the worker unit in Civ III. More tangible - you can interfere with another country's work force, trade workers, free maintenance captured foreign workers, etc.
Old October 29, 2003, 20:13   #132
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hmmm, I think that BOTH methods have their merits and flaws! Ideally I'd like to see a system which either incorporates elements of both, or where you could choose between them at the start of a game!

What I would LOVE to see, though, is a maintainance cost for Tile Improvements-to prevent that ugly RR and mining Sprawl that players and AI alike seem so fond of!!

Oh, and how about a new worker-type unit, called a prospector (Engineer), which can only build mines and colonies, but has a greater chance of detecting a resource in whatever tile it is working (even perhaps having a chance of certain resources-such as iron, coal or uranium-appearing 'magically', even if they wouldn't ordinarily be there!)

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.
Old October 30, 2003, 12:13   #133
Traelin
Prince

Local Time: 05:27
Quote:
Originally posted by GRM7584
Another option would be age-based constraints on techs: techs are significantly more costly to research the earlier it is from their "ideal" date (so trying to research computers in 1800 is going to be a bit harder than in 1950).
IMHO this is a great idea that I've never heard mentioned before. Since the main argument for not including futuristic techs in Civ3 is that they didn't want to mimic SMAC, I don't see any reason why this idea shouldn't be implemented.

Quote:
Static Militia: Each city has X number of the best available defensive units (at conscript level), where X is the city size (town, city, metropolis, not the population). So an industrial era metropolis with access to rubber would have 3 immobile conscript infantry.
Nah, not sure I like this idea. The draft option places the onus on the player to ensure defense of the city in states of emergencies. I feel like your idea would bail people out of nasty situations.

Quote:
Instead of just military or scientific leaders, why not have *every* trait able to make a leader?
Agreed.

Quote:
Era-specific tile improvement graphics.
Kind of a cosmetic feature, but I do like the idea.

Quote:
While I like the notion of Civil Wars, I don't like the "split in half" motif of previous civs (was it in civ 1? I swear I remember that happening once or twice.
I also like the notion of Civil Wars, but I don't agree with your alternative solution. Adjusting the likelihood of CWs based on # of cities is shady IMO. The size of a Civ is not so much a factor of CWs as is the happiness/unhappiness of the people. This is mostly affected by govt. type, war weariness (namely in a domestic war), the fall of the capital, etc. America is a big country, but there is slim to no chance of another CW breaking out.

Quote:
Random events. Just regular old random events. SMAC has some basic kinds, like bumper crops or industrial boom, and MOO has some too, but even the pesky "fires destroy temple in hamburg: citizens demand aquaduct!" messages from civ1 added a little extra flavor, albeit annoying flavor.
Yes, random events are pretty nifty, especially the bumber crop event.

Quote:
Visible trade routes: yes, stol...er...inspired directly from CTP. While the little moving icons tended to messy up the screen, I still think it was nice to see them, and it was also nice that you could pirate them. yarr.
Very cool.

Quote:
Unit trading, yum.
I'm not even going to go into this one again, but suffice it to say that it is my biggest beef with Civ3 in its current state. We NEED unit trading in some fashion.

Quote:
Once a city gets over 6, maybe have little hamlets pop up on nearby squares to represent the growing population. I'm thinking of a LotRealm2-type implementation, perhaps to the degree that they could be torched by invading forces (or have their own static militia!) To this same effect, it would be cool to see great wonders show up in or around the city they are built in, or even show little construction sites while they are being built! (which could, of course, be sabotaged/pillaged)
Hrm, kind of a mixture of cosmetics and in a little bit more micromanagement. Not sure I like this, unless it's contained to a cosmetic change only.

Quote:
I like having a UN that acts like the planetary council from SMAC. Jolly good ideas posted in that respect.
Yes yes yes, especially having a freaking Civ call off a war against your ally the X.

Quote:
I have always played my games with all the spaceship components at the very end of the tech tree, mostly because some of the tech assosciations seem ridiculous and a bit too early for me. How is my civ building a massive cryogenic chamber without even a rudimentary understanding of human genetics?! Doesn't make any sense. I also usually play with jungles, forests, deserts, and tundra as all being un-settleable, jungles and forests as being unclearable, and i set it so each terrain has one improvement option (mining for forests, jungles, deserts, tundra, mountains, hills; irrigation for others). I guess my point here (and its hard to see any point in all that rambling) is that it would be neat to have "official" alternate rulesets, if nothing else than to see what other ideas the developers had about the way the game should work.
The Tech Tree is more or less an abstraction of real life, not an exact one-to-one mapping. I see no problems with it. As to making Jungles/tundra uninhabitable, I've never understood this. Many people have settled in bone-chilling tundras and jungles IRL. I also don't see any reason to have an alternate ruleset. It'll just be yet another ruleset that people would edit. Just let people edit the vanilla ruleset per their tastes. Plus I'd rather have the Firaxis team focus on more important matters.

Quote:
It would also be nice to have, instead of "shift-p", an option under preferences that makes any 'free' (IE not working) worker automatically go to and clean up pollution as it pops up.
God yes. I HATE having to reassign workers to clean up pollution when I have already done so on the previous turn.
Old October 30, 2003, 12:28   #134
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by playshogi
A more involved espionage system.
1) spy insertion shouldn't cause a war!
1a) even successfully capturing a spy that actually did damage should not necessarily lead to war.
2) more kinds of spy results, like instead of getting a whole tech, just get x beakers for a tech.
3) a spy that slows down an opponents tech research.
4) a spy that increases corruption or increases the chance for a pollution square to appear.
5) a spy that assasinates a great leader when the opponent attempts to use that GL to build a wonder, army or whatever.
6) a spy that can destroy completed spaceship parts
7) a spy that can commit sabotage or tech theft and manage to frame another empire.
8) a spy that can increase the chance for a cultural flip
9) a spy that can cause a town to surrender without firing a shot (less chance of success in modern age).
10) spies introduced earlier in the game, perhaps with establishment of embassy
11) a spy that decreases the effectiveness of the opponent's military units
Some pretty cool ideas in here.

1. Agreed, although you should receive a rep hit with the opposing Civ.
2. Neat.
3. Neat.
4. Nah. While not totally farfetched, it adds too much power to espionage.
5. Hrm, lemme think about this one. That would be interesting event handling at the very least.
6. Neat, even though I have never built the spaceship, not even in Civ or Civ 2.
7. Now this is a great idea. Wasn't something like this in SMAC? What a great idea.
8. Neat.
9. Umm isn't that already present with the "Incite Revolt" option? (or whatever it's called on the Espionage menu.)
10. I understand your logic behind this, given the fact that spies have existed throughout human history. Perhaps something like this could be implemented, but it'd have to be toned down a bit.
11. No way, too powerful. Plus I don't see something like this as a common occurrence IRL.
Old October 30, 2003, 12:30   #135
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer

I know most people probably disagree with me on this one, but I actually like having individual workers available. Although they need a good amount of tweaking, especially WRT pollution cleanup.
Old October 30, 2003, 12:45   #136
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
Oh, and how about a new worker-type unit, called a prospector (Engineer), which can only build mines and colonies, but has a greater chance of detecting a resource in whatever tile it is working (even perhaps having a chance of certain resources-such as iron, coal or uranium-appearing 'magically', even if they wouldn't ordinarily be there!)

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.
Aussie:

That's a cool idea! You can have your own 49ers Gold Rush!!! In a similar vein to another post I read earlier, I would like less "ALL or NOTHING" and more "Gradiations in Results" during play. The example in the other posting addressed espionage. For example, instead of being 100% successful in stealing a tech or 0% successful, your espionage mission could result in the stealing of a number of beakers towards a science advance.

In a similiar way, this "prospector unit" could perform exhaustive searches for oil that eventually would produce gradiated results (not excluding the potential of zero). Instead of finding an oil resource that would just pop into view ready to be fully exploited as a standard oil resource, what about something a little less complete.

For example, the prospector finds an oil resource that takes extra effort to extract the oil (multiple workers building a mine; a percentage possibility of failure to extract any oil, etc), and the oil field is completed used up in 20 turns. That would be akin to finding a small oil reserve deep in the earth's crust.

If you had plenty of oil, you wouldn't bother, but if you had none and were being charged ridiculous prices on the open market, you have an incentive to redirect your work force in this area. All mineral extraction resources could follow this model, other resources/luxuries could have a modfied, but similiar model.
Old October 30, 2003, 15:33   #137
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
Actually I like the worker unit in Civ III. More tangible - you can interfere with another country's work force, trade workers, free maintenance captured foreign workers, etc.
I don't see why this can't be the case sans having the irritating workers out there.

Workers are simply a nuisance. In the later game you spend more time shuffling workers around than doing anything else. I always just give captured workers back to the civs I took them from, because they're such a pain, I have plenty of my own (who work faster), and it's not worth the ill-will generated by using their slave labor.

A simple solution is to just have a resource pool for allocating tile improvements. Within the radius of any city, you can just designate which tile to improve and what to do with it. It would still take several turns to complete.

However, you could still have the effect of what you described by making the resource pool tradeable/stealable. A new espionage mission could be steal resources, or you could just sabotage an opponents resources/current tiles under improvement/already improved tiles/etc.

IMO, one of the worst decisions made for Civ3 was ditching the diplomat/spy units and adding the friggin' workers.
Old October 31, 2003, 09:13   #138
GRM7584
Settler

Quote:
I also like the notion of Civil Wars, but I don't agree with your alternative solution. Adjusting the likelihood of CWs based on # of cities is shady IMO. The size of a Civ is not so much a factor of CWs as is the happiness/unhappiness of the people. This is mostly affected by govt. type, war weariness (namely in a domestic war), the fall of the capital, etc. America is a big country, but there is slim to no chance of another CW breaking out.
Well, I was thinking more in terms of game balance, really; earlier on (IE before you've built too many cities) you probably won't have too much in the way of WLTKD...either from population constraints or a lack of luxury. Plus, if the teeny 3 city empire over on the far side of the continent has a civil war, It wouldn't really affect gameplay, rather it would just speed along that civ's imminent demise. On the other hand, if a little later on the biggest empire on the map hasn't been watching luxuries and goes to switch governments (causing a whole lotta civil disorder), they might end up losing 2 or 3 border cities, it could be significant.

Quote:
Hrm, kind of a mixture of cosmetics and in a little bit more micromanagement. Not sure I like this, unless it's contained to a cosmetic change only.
I was thinking more in terms of cosmetics to break up the railroads/farms/mines the map gets plastered with, and to give the impression of a genuinely big city along with its outlying settlements. The micromanagement stuff is just a notion, I don't know that I'd really want it either. Having to protect all those little outlying settlements from being looted could get pesky.

Quote:
The Tech Tree is more or less an abstraction of real life, not an exact one-to-one mapping. I see no problems with it. As to making Jungles/tundra uninhabitable, I've never understood this. Many people have settled in bone-chilling tundras and jungles IRL. I also don't see any reason to have an alternate ruleset. It'll just be yet another ruleset that people would edit. Just let people edit the vanilla ruleset per their tastes. Plus I'd rather have the Firaxis team focus on more important matters.
My point wasn't that I wanted them to use *my* ruleset, that would be pretty ridiculous. Rather, I wanted to see what they thought would make for interesting alternate rulesets. I just felt like sharing my dumb ruleset for fun and profit. I am getting paid for all this, right?
I just typed out my reasons for my ruleset in the space occupied by this sentence, but then deleted them. It's completely off-topic. Oh well.

I also noticed that I forgot to mention something from my first post...I don't have PTW, I've been a-waitin' for Conquests instead. I know there's a guerrilla unit in PTW, but does it pop up around enemy cities when you conquer them? If not, why not? I don't know what the public opinion on it is, but guerrillas popping up in civ2 was one of my favorite little sub-features.
Old October 31, 2003, 13:33   #139
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
I also noticed that I forgot to mention something from my first post...I don't have PTW, I've been a-waitin' for Conquests instead. I know there's a guerrilla unit in PTW, but does it pop up around enemy cities when you conquer them? If not, why not? I don't know what the public opinion on it is, but guerrillas popping up in civ2
was one of my favorite little sub-features.
Sigh, unfortunately not. I also liked the partisans in Civ2, but guerrillas don't act the same way in Civ3.
Old October 31, 2003, 13:46   #140
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
I don't see why this can't be the case sans having the irritating workers out there.

Workers are simply a nuisance. In the later game you spend more time shuffling workers around than doing anything else.
I agree the worker automation feature could have been better. There is a burden in managing the worker force. No argument here.

Quote:
I always just give captured workers back to the civs I took them from, because they're such a pain, I have plenty of my own (who work faster), and it's not worth the ill-will generated by using their slave labor.
No ill will is generated when the civilization is destroyed... Also, "maintenance-free" workers aren't bad...

Quote:
A simple solution is to just have a resource pool for allocating tile improvements. Within the radius of any city, you can just designate which tile to improve and what to do with it. It would still take several turns to complete.
Still seems like micromanagement just minus seeing the actual unit on the screen. However, the "worker resource pool" is more abstract when dealing with the movement capability of the worker unit (I always think of Army Combat Engineers or the US Army Corps of Engineers - lots of equipment, large physical footprint).

What about improving terrority that doesn't fall within a city's zone? Workers can be dispatched to these points - sometimes in the thick of a fight! I think that makes it interesting....

Quote:
However, you could still have the effect of what you described by making the resource pool tradeable/stealable. A new espionage mission could be steal resources, or you could just sabotage an opponents resources/current tiles under improvement/already improved tiles/etc.

IMO, one of the worst decisions made for Civ3 was ditching the diplomat/spy units and adding the friggin' workers.
Well, if I understand your message, It would seem possible to offer either method of play at game startup - if the software development time was taken to build and provide both options.

I for one, like the worker. But then again, I liked the caravan in Civ 2, but I'm guessing you hated that too.
Old October 31, 2003, 13:52   #141
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:

I know there's a guerrilla unit in PTW, but does it pop up around enemy cities when you conquer them? If not, why not? I don't know what the public opinion on it is, but guerrillas popping up in civ2 was one of my favorite little sub-features.
I have a list of things I miss from Civ2 and the partisans exploding from captured cities into the city's hinterland was very cool - and realistic too! If only that was brought back, but I guess that's gone and now indirectly represented by ethnic composition of the city, culture flipping and disorder. sigh...can't we have both????
Old October 31, 2003, 18:50   #142
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:

I have a list of things I miss from Civ2 and the partisans exploding from captured cities into the city's hinterland was very cool - and realistic too! If only that was brought back, but I guess that's gone and now indirectly represented by ethnic composition of the city, culture flipping and disorder. sigh...can't we have both????

sigh..I loved the Partisan popping up in cities too, but In CIV 3 the partisan unit was just too weak. And having guerilla's popping from cities would be a real killer.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old October 31, 2003, 19:25   #143
GRM7584
Settler

With the workers: I liked CTP's whole public works system just fine, but I like being able to capture enemy workers in civ3 better. The only problem I see is that there's not much to do with them (IE they work half-speed, making them largely crap, and building them into your cities just creates disconent and/or culture flipping). So, rather than scrap the whole idea, why not just add things that can be done with them? For the americas conquest you can sacrifice em fer culture, and that's neat, but what about being able to 'sacrifice' them to add shields to a project (ignoring disbanding them here, since it doesn't do crap) or even allow the shields you get from sacrificing them to go towards wonders (although the pyramids weren't built by slaves, they *COULD* be if you're the one making decisions on building them and its in a game ). All this without actually incorporating them into your city and risking culture flippage. I think the possibilities for captured workers alone justifies having to manage workers; It's not like the 'effort' involved is any more than setting a public works slider, deciding where improvements go, planning on improvements with the amount of PW you have stored up, etc. Of course, with the whole sacrificing thing in C3C, maybe we'll see some sort of alternate worker options in the shiny new conquests editor *crosses fingers*

And as for partisans, I see no reason why they shouldn't be popping up around captured cities. They're not a 'significant' military force by the time they're available, rather, they're just a nuisance for an invader to deal with while the defender scrambles to protect himself. Plus, they are fun, I say, FUN! They just can't be represented by disorder and culture flipping alone.
Old October 31, 2003, 20:04   #144
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

I like the worker unit at the start of the game, but at the discovery of steam power, put them all in a worker pool like CTP. Alternatively, why not form worker "armies", put up to 12 in an "army". You can always add or subtract workers these "armies". It's simply a micromanagment reduction tool. I also think that rejoining settlers and workers to cities should be prohibited.

Following up on my suggestions for espionage, I also think the spy should be able to identify an opponent's resources sources. For example, it would be nice to know where he's getting rubber or aluminum from if he lacks it on the map. Also, an update on his cities' culture point totals. After all, a list of military units is available, economic and cultural information would also be useful.
Old November 1, 2003, 03:05   #145
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
No ill will is generated when the civilization is destroyed... Also, "maintenance-free" workers aren't bad...
I tend to try and maintain good relationships whenever possible.

I think the "maintenance-free" point is rendered moot by my suggestion, since no maintenance of workers would be required at all. Also, the lack of maintenance is counteracted by the slowness of the captured workers, IMO. I'd rather have a native worker who works twice as fast, even if I'm paying for it.

Quote:
Still seems like micromanagement just minus seeing the actual unit on the screen. However, the "worker resource pool" is more abstract when dealing with the movement capability of the worker unit (I always think of Army Combat Engineers or the US Army Corps of Engineers - lots of equipment, large physical footprint).
I don't see the same degree of micromanagement--certainly not the same as with workers. It's a simple matter of clicking a tile and allocating resource points from the pool to designate it to be improved. There could also be an automation feature here to let your governor handle the development of tiles. Regardless, all that beats, IMO, shuffling workers about.

Having an engineer unit could still be useful--perhaps just for building fortifications, airbases and such. They just wouldn't be needed for the basics of roads, irrigation, mines, railroads or (especially) cleaning up pollution.

Quote:
What about improving terrority that doesn't fall within a city's zone? Workers can be dispatched to these points - sometimes in the thick of a fight! I think that makes it interesting....
Any tile within one's borders would be available for improvement. I think roads are a perfect example of why this feature is needed. Right now I have to inch my worker across the terrain every three turns from point A to point B in order to build a road between them. Under a new resource point system, I simply select from an Improvement menu of "Build Road," and using the mouse choose a point A and a point B. The road is then built automatically between said points over the course of several turns. I don't have to think about the road again until it is complete.

Quote:
Well, if I understand your message, It would seem possible to offer either method of play at game startup - if the software development time was taken to build and provide both options.
Actually, I doubt it would be possible to offer both. The amount of code needed to offer such mutually exclusive systems would be rather impratical for a software company to write. I don't like like it when they program games to please everybody, because it usually ends up being a lot of muck.

Quote:
I for one, like the worker. But then again, I liked the caravan in Civ 2, but I'm guessing you hated that too.
I don't understand the affinity for workers, no. I find them the drag of my Civ3 experience. Whenever I'm invading an enemy and there are vulnerable workers, I now hesitate to capture them, thinking, "Oh jeez, not more..."

And I actually didn't mind the caravans in Civ2, although I thought they could have been handled better, too. They were at least a more realistic concept than the workers. And the idea of establishing trade routes between empires is need. I kind of miss them, truth be told. However, I really like GalCiv's handling of trade routes, and would probably incorporate something similar into my perfect civ game.
Old November 1, 2003, 11:25   #146
justjake73
Prince

A feature from Alpha Centauri that I like: You can enter and repair your units in Allied cities.

And you can agree to coordinate attacks with your allies.

And why not have the ability to transport food from one city to another, like in AC?? Have that city with three wheat tiles become a breadbasket!!

Add the ability to transport helicopters on carriers with one unit loaded, so you can launch vertical envelopment attacks to support your amphibious landings.

Quote:
And I actually didn't mind the caravans in Civ2, although I thought they could have been handled better, too.
I stopped sending caravans to AI cities for two reasons:

- By the time you built and sent it, the city was no longer demanding it.

- The AI was so stupid, machiavellian and aggressive that they would declare war every 10 turns and the routes would be cancelled.

AI stupidity, cheating and double standards caused me to quit Civ2 out of disgust.
and in the darkness bind them.

Last edited by justjake73; November 1, 2003 at 11:32.
Old November 1, 2003, 12:17   #147
GRM7584
Settler

Quote:
I simply select from an Improvement menu of "Build Road," and using the mouse choose a point A and a point B. The road is then built automatically between said points over the course of several turns. I don't have to think about the road again until it is complete.
Uh.....ctrl-R? Not that I've ever used it, but it is a command, and it's in the manual, so I'd assume it does what it says it does.
Old November 1, 2003, 15:10   #148
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 04:27
If I was to boil it down to one thing it would probably be scriptible events/triggers.
Old November 2, 2003, 01:04   #149
Xorbon
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by playshogi
Following up on my suggestions for espionage, I also think the spy should be able to identify an opponent's resources sources. For example, it would be nice to know where he's getting rubber or aluminum from if he lacks it on the map.
Excellent idea! It's annoying when I've pillaged all of a civ's oil resources, but they're still building tanks. I want to know where they're getting the oil from!
Old November 2, 2003, 10:53   #150
WarpStorm
King

Look at who he's trading with. It is usually fairly obvious.