Old October 14, 2003, 05:24   #31
Evil Knevil
Prince

Local Time: 11:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yeah, you'd kick their ass, but you'd look bad for trying.

I think Syria may be deliberately talking 'big' to try and get some concessions from the international community -as well as Israel. Any unjustified aggression would lead to sanctions/a possible US invasion.

However, Syria is probably bolstered by knowing that Arab opinion is behind them, and US aggression would be unpopular.
Old October 14, 2003, 05:25   #32
Evil Knevil
Prince

Oh, and my wife's in Syria at the moment.
Old October 14, 2003, 05:25   #33
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Just a wild thought - are the Syrians going to use these reservists to build hundreds of fake terrorist training camps? Then the intelligence people will be having a nervous breakdown and the IAF will be overloaded with possible targets.
Old October 14, 2003, 05:28   #34
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 13:31
Evil Knevil: sucks to hear that. As you already know, I hope this all ends in peace (esp. since I am LIVING here. )
Old October 14, 2003, 05:34   #35
Evil Knevil
Prince

S'okay she's in the NE doing some research about the Armenian genocide. She'll be home in a week.
Old October 14, 2003, 05:38   #36
Az
Emperor

oh, NE is like the complete other side of the country.
Old October 14, 2003, 05:48   #37
Evil Knevil
Prince

Yeah, the Govt will collapse before your powerful tanks get there, I hope... but if the US invades

Could you tell the Elders of Zion to hold off for a week, since I can't afford a funeral and she'd have to be buried in an unlaquered pine coffin
Old October 14, 2003, 05:51   #38
Saras
Emperor

"Armenian" and "genocide" is something you don't mention in one sentence in Turkey. Talk about the Japanese not admitting their guilt
Old October 14, 2003, 05:53   #39
Evil Knevil
Prince

I mentioned it in a Kebab house the other night. (drunkenly and loudly) Nothing happened!
Old October 14, 2003, 05:56   #40
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Could you tell the Elders of Zion to hold off for a week, since I can't afford a funeral and she'd have to be buried in an unlaquered pine coffin
This is both funny and eery as hell.

Quote:
I mentioned it in a Kebab house the other night. (drunkenly and loudly) Nothing happened!
You sure it was a turkish Kebab house.
Old October 14, 2003, 06:01   #41
Evil Knevil
Prince

Why eery?

It was a Turkish one, I think. Doesn't matter, I'll have to wear sign around my neck with "900,000 Armenians can't be wrong", next time in Istanbul
Old October 14, 2003, 06:04   #42
Az
Emperor

Why not just have a good time in Istanbul?
Old October 14, 2003, 07:54   #43
axi
Prince

Some of you guys are totally freaking me out...
...as if the news itself is not freaky enough.

Quote:
Eli, so what? We have them surrounded, and they're low tech. The only downside to destroying them in battle is the cost of rebuilding their country and economy so that next go round they're high tech.
Quote:
I wished to hell they would do something. Peace is so over rated. War helps restore the proper balance and I for one need to be balanced.
See? The thread is loony enough, even without Sirotnikov posting in it.

All I want to ask the Israelis but foremost the Americans in this forum is this:
What has Syria done to deserve such aggression?

To the United States, it has done absolutely nothing. Yet since the capture of Iraq, Suria figures in the axis-of-evil. Now, after Israel bombed camps in Syria, the President is pushing for a bill to impose sanctions to Syria, as if they were the agressors and not the victims of aggression.

Now the Israelis hold their usual claims about funding terrorism, fighting a war by proxy, etc. However they are the ones who occupy the Golan heights and have invaded Lebanon so they shouldn't expect anything less from them.

The big question is why now? What has Syria done this last year that it hasn't been doing during the last 20 years?

The obvious answer is that of power politics. Syria is at it's weakest strategic condition ever and the fascist Israeli government feels that it is at their best interests to drag the USA in a war with Syria. The United States government is IMO run by reactionary freaks, whose actions cannot be justified by reason, except perhaps the kind of reason that calls for more wars and more armaments, lest some companies should run out of contracts.

However the average American has nothing to gain from funding another war, nor the average Israeli has anything to gain from more bloodshed. So why are you getting all so freaked-out about Syria, all of a sudden? Can't you resist even a little bit at the urge to conform to whatever propaganda they're throwing at you?
Old October 14, 2003, 07:59   #44
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Why do you climb a mountain?

Old October 14, 2003, 08:04   #45
axi
Prince

This isn't funny you know...
Old October 14, 2003, 09:16   #46
Az
Emperor

I think that this is the plan of the Nazi Greek government, and their Alien overlords.
Old October 14, 2003, 09:47   #47
Rogan Josh
Prince

Why is this surprising? Wasn't Israel launching missile attackes on Syria just last week?

If Canada (for example) launched missile attacks on the US, what would the US do? (It wouldn't need reservists of course, but you get the point...)
Old October 14, 2003, 10:25   #48
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
Quote:
Originally posted by axi

Syria hosts, in the open, offices of major terror groups.

Quote:
What has Syria done this last year that it hasn't been doing during the last 20 years?
Stepped up covert funding. Acted as a money wash for Iraqi Baathist making an escape. Helping smuggle people across boarder from Iraq to help them escape prosecution in Iraq. Refused to enforce disarmament of Pal terror groups required under so called "Road Map".

Quote:
So why are you getting all so freaked-out about Syria, all of a sudden?
Uh...Where have you been? Syria has been on State Departments list of states sponsoring terrorism for over 20 years. In case you didn't notice, we are at war with terrorism.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old October 14, 2003, 11:07   #49
Edan
Warlord

Local Time: 06:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Why not just have a good time in Istanbul?
Not Constantinople?
Old October 14, 2003, 11:09   #50
pchang
King

Local Time: 10:31
Names
I think the place hasn't been called Constantinople for at least 50 years (quite possibly more).

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old October 14, 2003, 11:22   #51
Rogan Josh
Prince

Re: Names
Quote:
Originally posted by pchang
I think the place hasn't been called Constantinople for at least 50 years (quite possibly more).
Americans never get Monty Python references
Old October 14, 2003, 11:26   #52
pchang
King

Generation
Its a question of age too.

Older Generation = Dr. Who - Monty Python
Middle Generation = Benny Hill
Younger Generation = Who wants to be a millionaire?

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old October 14, 2003, 11:43   #53
Edan
Warlord

I'm not that old.

Quote:
Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul not Constantinople
Been a long time gone
Old Constantinople's still has Turkish delight
On a moonlight night
Evr'y gal in Constantinople
Is a Miss-stanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul
Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it, I can't say
(People just liked it better that way)
Take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks'
Old October 14, 2003, 12:57   #54
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

How does ones wife get to Syria? If my wife came home and announced she was going to Syria, I think the reply would be 'the hell you are!'.
Old October 14, 2003, 13:20   #55
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Syria is ocupying Lebanon, you know. The reservists might be headed there.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 14, 2003, 13:23   #56
Az
Emperor

I don't think they currently needed into Lebanon. There is no upsurge in anti-Syrian activity, there.
Old October 14, 2003, 13:57   #57
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:31
Quote:
The US is pissed because Syria allows Islamic militants to move through Syria into Iraq and it is believed that several billion dollars in gold and cash which Saddam and his sons looted the day before the war started was transported out of Iraq via Syria. Further, ever since 9/11 the US government has declared that they reguard any state which sponsors terrorism to be it's enemy and thus subject to preemptive military action. Syria and Iran remain the single largest sponsors of terrorism in the world therefor they are on the Americans' list.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 14, 2003, 13:58   #58
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:31
Assad knows he's in a very weak position militarially thus the threat of force and/or a bit of diplomatic & economic pressure just might be enough to get him to give up supporting terror organizations.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 14, 2003, 14:04   #59
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

300,000 reservists for a country the size of Syria is a large number. This could be a WWI-type situation where mobilization leads by chain reaction to war.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 14, 2003, 14:41   #60
lord of the mark
Deity

Syria together with Iran is a sponsor of Hezbollah. Now Hezbollah is said by some to be no threat to the US, just another anti-Israeli "militant" group, that only truck bombed a couple of hundred US Marines cause they were "occupying" Beirut - and "only" killed a bunch of Argentinians, cause some of them were Jews, thus "connecting" it to the Mideast.

Thus the following from the Washington Post (via Rantburg) is interesting:

"Mugniyah, a Lebanese national and senior Hezbollah leader, is responsible for the kidnapping and murder of several Americans, as well as the hijacking of aircraft and the bombing of U.S. military barracks in Beirut in the 1980s, according to the FBI and CIA. Before Sept. 11, 2001, he was responsible for the deaths of more Americans than any other terrorist.

According to court testimony of former al Qaeda operatives, Mugniyah met bin Laden several times in Sudan in the mid-1990s and agreed to train al Qaeda combatants in the use of explosives and other techniques in exchange for weapons.

A description of Mugniyah’s ongoing role was provided to authorities by a member of the Jerusalem Force who defected to Britain earlier this year. In a February interview with the London-based Saudi daily Al-Sarq al-Awsat, the defector said Mugniyah remained in Iran and had personally "planned the escape of dozens of al Qaeda men to Iran."

The defector, Hamid Zakiri, said Mugniyah served as "a liaison officer with Dr. Zawahiri and with commanders of other fundamentalist organizations."

Zakiri said that among those Mugniyah aided were bin Laden’s youngest wife, Amal al-Saddah, and her infant child, whom he provided with safe passage from Afghanistan through Iran to her homeland of Yemen as the U.S. bombing of Afghanistan began.

European intelligence sources said that much of Zakiri’s information had been verified."