Old October 14, 2003, 11:39   #1
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 03:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Resignation of CMN
Due to allegations regarding my neutrality and personal attacks on my integrity, effective immediately I shall no longer be associated with this game

Googlie
Old October 14, 2003, 12:09   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 10:33
This is very sad news. Thank you immensely for the work you have put into this DG. We are sorry to see you go.

What do we do now? Look for a new CMN I presume?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old October 14, 2003, 12:42   #3
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 11:33
No we take a deep breath. pause, reflect and try to draw back. That's my instinct.

Googlie is, and I repeat is, an important and integral part of the game. His interest and involvement permeated all our forums and that's the way it should.

We could do either or both

Post a poll for his return, seeking 100%
email Googlie direct.
Old October 14, 2003, 13:27   #4
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

yes i agree that we cant go on with out googlie...anyone other hasnt been here from the beingin or is byass
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old October 14, 2003, 13:35   #5
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 04:33
I don't understand. What happened? GooglieGod has always been the best CMN I have ever seen. He has contributed so much for the demo game. Who wants him to go? Stay with us GooglieGod! We don't want to be godless!

Grapefruit Garden
Old October 14, 2003, 13:40   #6
buster
ACDG3 CMNsACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 12:33
I have not heard these allegations so I have no idea what is being referred to.

However when enough people are involved there will always be some jerk who will say something stupid. If all CMNs will need to resign as soon as someone says something it will be impossible to have anyone arround for more than a few days and Googlie is the best I know and I have - in the many many games I know he has hosted - never before seen suc accusations or reasons to bring them.

I hope that whoever the f****** idiot is will quckly apologize and that you Googlie will reconsider.
Old October 14, 2003, 13:42   #7
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

let us all hail our gods
Old October 14, 2003, 15:00   #8
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 05:33
Don't go Googlie! I can assure you that the vast majority of us completely support you. You've been a great CMN, and have kept this game interesting and fun.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old October 14, 2003, 15:05   #9
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I agree googlie-- you should stay
Old October 14, 2003, 15:08   #10
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Buster:

Thanks for your kind words. It's an involved story, and I don't know how much can be told without in-game damage to the parties concerned.

Suffice it to say that I issued a private ruling (essentially ruling that duplicity was not against the rules of this game) in advance of an action that gave advantages to one faction while mightily pissing off the other.

The aggrieved party alleges that the duplicitous action is a cheat, - which I dispute, or I would not have ruled otherwise - that I connived in this cheating and that I encouraged the action by prior suggestions to the aggrieved party that set in motion the disputed action. (ie knowing all along that I knew what they were going to do and tailoring the rule to give them that advantage)

Either party may elaborate on this if they wish, but I do feel that as the invective increased in the aggrieved party's private forum (both theirs and mine) that things have escalated to the point of no return.

I am in the process of expunging my posts from their two forums - and from others where my comments or suggestions (eg re the AI's strength, units' abilities, legal covert operations activities, etc) could be construed as providing help or assitance to any particular faction.

Would I reconsider this resignation? I don't honestly know. Like most of you I have devoted a large part of my life these last eight months on this game - and the payback has been huge (lots of fun, and meeting in-forum and on-line a very talented and interesting grroup of people).

But the game will go on without me. It is at it's most dynamic phase right now, and the next fifteen to twenty turns should provide a myriad of diplo opportunites - with or without a CMN - which is why most players are in the game anyway.

Googlie
Old October 14, 2003, 15:17   #11
DeathByTheSword
King

but i think that just because all the dimplomatic talks that are going to start soon...i think someone that has overview and can rule over disputes is needed
Old October 14, 2003, 15:21   #12
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

I think we need a CMN. I for one strongly hope that Googlie reconsiders. We need a CMN for just this reason, when disputes emerge, and to uphold the rules. You have been invaluble to the game, and I don't see it getting very far without a CMN personally. Ask the aggrieved faction if they support you coming back. If they will still accept you as CMN, which I am pretty sure they will, then maybe relations can be patched?

"Please come back Googlie. The drones need you, they look up to you"

Old October 14, 2003, 15:23   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Father, I urge you to reconsider this decision. I have been accused of cheating as well, yet I will not resign. Partially to just stick it to them and partially because htis game is fun, even with them being a *****.
Just ignore those whom say you are cheating. You yourself know you are not, and that should be enough. There is overwhelming support for you to stay. So...stay! Don't let the minority rule the democracy game.
Old October 14, 2003, 15:29   #14
buster
ACDG3 CMNsACDG The Free Drones
King

In any case I will suggest that the involved team gets its position on the matter straight.

If it is just some member(s) but not the official position of the team, I propose they have their internal disciplinary comittee (if one doesn't exist they should create one) deal with it and get the member sorted out & do their part to sort out the scene.

If it is in fact the official team position I would like to hear what they have to say on the matter. There is a lot of difference between disagreeing on a ruling and starting to make accusations about bias. Such things are not light matters and should be taken seriously.

I do not need the specifics on the matter but I would like some team to either come out and declare that they in fact feel the CMN is biased or that they have dealt with the matter internally and that it is now sorted out followed by an official request that the CMN stays.
Old October 14, 2003, 15:34   #15
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I have posted a separate thread with my understanding of the matter and also because Googlie made a ruling which suprised me and may not be apparent to other players
Old October 14, 2003, 15:36   #16
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
There is overwhelming support for you to stay. So...stay! Don't let the minority rule the democracy game.
For once, the man God is correct

Old October 14, 2003, 15:46   #17
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Why would GooglieGod want to favor one faction against another? I don't argue that different actions taken by a CMN may have different implications for different factions. However if the game has to go on we need somebody who is able to do the ruling to the best of his judgement. And I believe that nobody would do better than Googlie as he has proved to us many times in the past. The fairness of a certain action or ruling could still be argued, and I can understand the feelings of the faction who may have been adversely impacted. However, I hope this will not amount to the distrust of GooglieGod as our CMN, for I don't see any reason why this could be the case, and what we have seen in the past makes me firmly believe in Googlie's integrity.

Think about a ball game, the referee makes the final call, and the players accept it, whether they agree to it or not. This is what ensures the game could go on. Some times the implication could be great. I still remember Maradona's "invisible hand of god". If a referee has to resign whenever a serious dispute happens in the middle of a game, I'm sure the ball games would be a lot different from today.

So what I'm trying to say is, without seeing any evidence against him, I believe in GooglieGod's integrity and I believe he has made and will make rulings to his best judgement. We have given him the right to make judgement rulings when we selected Googlie to be our CMN. We can of course always amend rules to ensure the fairness for everybody as best as we can, but we should accept the fact that there will be times that we are subject to the CMN's ruling. I hope the bitter feelings if there are any will not prolong and when everybody who is involved in this calm down some more, we would reach the agreement that we still need GooglieGod as our CMN. This is only a game afterall.

Grapefruit Garden
Old October 14, 2003, 15:56   #18
Snowflake
Princess

Just read Flubber's thread. It appears that although there are disagreement as to whether the call is right, nobody really is calling for GooglieGod's resignation. I hope GooglieGod will decide that his love for this game will be so strong that he will stay with us even when there are disagreements toward his rulings.

Grapefruit Garden
Old October 14, 2003, 16:09   #19
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

What?!

I just received the horrible news, please don't leave us.

I do not know the details of the situation itself, but from what I had read I would urge you to reconsider your resignation, and echo the words of support already stated by many. The people involved in this game need you, you are an intricate part of this experience, and throughout it has been one of the most involved and resourceful individuals. I would greatly miss your contributions if you do decide to go, as I am certain so would all involved in the ACDG.
Old October 14, 2003, 16:13   #20
Corellion
Prince

I am in full agreement with DBTS, Drogue, Maniac, Hercules, Voltaire, HongHu, and whoever else has posted. You have been one of the most interesting and fun personalities in this game, and we'll all miss you sorely if you leave. Don't let the Hobbitses upset you. You're our precious.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
Old October 14, 2003, 16:23   #21
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I haven't posted here yet, but of course:

Googlie, please stay!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 14, 2003, 16:54   #22
Googlie
Emperor

I know players read all threads, but for the record I posted this in Flubber's explanation thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie
But there remains jist one PEACE player that I am still offside with and I have e-mailed him to see if there is a sufficient level of trust for me to remain as CMN

If so, then I shall, as the groundswell has been encouraging.
G.
Old October 14, 2003, 16:58   #23
Corellion
Prince

Hoorah! Hoorah!

Please, whoever this is... put your grievances behind you so we can have our GooglieGod back.
Old October 14, 2003, 17:06   #24
DeathByTheSword
King

i feel empty if I cant pray to my god every day
Old October 14, 2003, 17:40   #25
Drogue
staff

I would like to ask everyone to join me in a rendition of "A Prayer to GooglieGod":

Our CMN, who art in all forums,
hallowed by thy name.
Should our Faction win,
thy will be done,
on Chiron as it failed on Earth.
Give us this day, our daily data.
And forgive us our experiments,
as we forgive those who experiment upon us.
And lead us not into the fungus,
but deliver us from the Hive.
For thine is the map, the power and and the glory.
For ever and ever.
Amen.

Old October 14, 2003, 17:48   #26
Corellion
Prince

Amen!
Old October 14, 2003, 18:07   #27
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Ok, Drogue, that prayer was a little creepy.

Anyway... I was going to write a whole spiel on why Googlie should stay. I think others have covered the issues just fine, though, so in the interest of brevity:

STAY, GGLIE!
Old October 14, 2003, 18:11   #28
Drogue
staff

It was published in the first issue of 3D Talking of which, another issue is being made as we speak

Old October 14, 2003, 18:19   #29
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 20:33
Hrmm so that was what that unsual acitivity I was monitoring yesterday. Anyway if this is an game rule dispute I'll neglect telling my team who the involved parties are.

For my two cents. I think that the number of people that really like you Googlie far outweighs the number of people that don't. However, I understand sometimes these kinds of decisions involve more than just the simple majority.
Old October 14, 2003, 18:23   #30
Drogue
staff

Kody: Look at Flubber's thread on it. They've already named the parties involved.

Can you really tell *that* much from a powergraph?