Old October 15, 2003, 03:32   #1
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 11:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Lighthouse and trade across sea squares
Anyone know if the lighthouse allows your civ to trade across sea squares? I thought it could, but it appears not. The problem has come up in a pbem so it difficult for me to run experiments on it.
Old October 15, 2003, 05:20   #2
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

AFAIK it should but I have found it to be inconsistent.
Old October 15, 2003, 05:40   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

It works fine in the Naval PBEM. I have the Lighthouse and can trade with other civs connected by sea. They also can initiate trades with me.
Old October 15, 2003, 07:01   #4
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Yes, the Lighthouse allows trade over sea tiles. We had this situation between Legoland and Gathering Storm in the PtWDG. Our landmass had no "coastal crossing" to other teams, yet we were able to trade with GS even before the discovery of Astronomy - thanks to their Great Lighthouse.
Old October 15, 2003, 09:20   #5
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Thats excellent news, but the problem remains.

I cant offer Rome lux even though we both have harbours, me the lighthouse, and I can see an unbroken coast and sea path. The only thing I can think of is that I did not explore one vital island in the chain, and instead gained that part of the map through trade.

Could it be that I have to explore every part of the trade route, and that map trade doesnt really count for the purposes of trade routes? Has anyone else heard of this bug?
Old October 15, 2003, 09:39   #6
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

There's one more thing that can block trade: enemy or barbarian units. If there are places that are very narrow(typically 1 tile) then it can be blocked by barbs or other civs(if you or your trading partner are at war with them) even if you cannot see their units.
Old October 15, 2003, 09:48   #7
Snotty
King

There are a few places where barbs could set up a 2 square blockade, but that would be pretty organized on their part, and I imagine they would move after a while. I have been unable to trade since I got given the map a few turns back. The only person I am at war with is rome, and he is the one I am offering the lux as part of a peace treaty. Surely his boats would 'unblock' if it was part of peace?
Old October 15, 2003, 11:13   #8
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 03:36
I'm not positive, but that might be the answer. I don't believe you can do a lux trade as part of a peace treaty, because technically you are still at war until the peace is signed. Try signing the peace treaty...then call them up again and offer the lux deal and see what happens.
Old October 15, 2003, 11:59   #9
Snotty
King

Im not quite ready for peace yet

Thats the problem with this being pbem, I just cant try these things out
Old October 15, 2003, 12:05   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:36
I presume they are not engaged in an embargo with you? None of the path has sea tiles that cross another civ that has an embargo?
Old October 15, 2003, 12:16   #11
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 03:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Snotty
Im not quite ready for peace yet
I didn't realize that from your prior posts. You can't trade with someone you are at war with, so the only way to do a lux deal with him is to have peace.
Old October 15, 2003, 14:58   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 04:36
Interesting concept,

"Please buy my Luxuries so that I might have more money with which to build weapons for bashing in thine head..........."
Old October 15, 2003, 15:10   #13
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Rhothaerill, you're right. I'm 100% positive that you can't give(or get) resources/luxuries in a peace deal. You got to have peace FIRST.

Sligthly OT, I have only limited PBEM-experience myself but if i want to find out the excact details about the game-mechanics, do I have to start a PBEM game with myself or will a hotseat game work excactly the same way?
Old October 15, 2003, 15:12   #14
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 04:36
You can start a standard PBEM, leave all the passwords blank and play it like a Hotseat game.
Old October 15, 2003, 15:19   #15
Snotty
King

The only reason I want to be able to trade lux with rome is because he is on an island with someone else. If I can trade lux with rome, that means I can trade lux with the others once they have built a harbour.

I wanted to get this sorted out before I made the conection with them so we can trade straight away.

And no embargos yet.
Old October 15, 2003, 20:04   #16
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
Rhothaerill, you're right. I'm 100% positive that you can't give(or get) resources/luxuries in a peace deal. You got to have peace FIRST.
BTW, there is (or was, depending on patches) a bug in this regard... Catt, myself, and others have seen specific incidences where lux trading was in fact allowed in peace negotiations.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 16, 2003, 05:43   #17
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Sea trade but not ocean trade