Old October 16, 2003, 03:04   #1
Space05us
King

Local Time: 22:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
American Conquest...
...SUCKS. I just got reminded why I HATE RTS games. Theres very little strategy involved and the main idea is click as fast as you can cause the more units you have the better off you are because regardless of how advanced they are they cant stand up to a thousand weak units. theres just no way to enjoy a game like that.

Oh and this game that is supposedly based on history has nothing realistic about it. I was playing on the Native Alaskan campaign and was doing pretty good. I had over 300 warriors getting ready to set off and find the enemy when about 100 gun toting indians come running up. WTF!? this was supposedly before the Russians arrived, and besides even after the Russians arrived the Alaskan Indians used very few fire-arms. It just pisses me off.

That cominbed with the piss poor graphics and the screen that has inertia or something because when you stop scrolling it keeps going until friction or something stops it.

I would highly recommend you DO NOT buy this game unless you can get it in the $10 bargin bin.
Old October 16, 2003, 05:29   #2
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 12:37
I agree with most of it... Though I don't think the graphics are bad... sure, they're not the best graphics around, but still good...

Though I'd like to add one more reason not to buy the game:

In the addon, there's no way to get rid of the auto-save... The game saves each 5 minutes, and the saving takes about 30+ seconds
I didn't play more than 30 minutes (over 2 games) before I decided to uninstall it...
Old October 26, 2003, 01:56   #3
Joseph
King

Local Time: 03:37
You can take it to E.B. and they will buy it. I sold my copy month ago.
Old October 26, 2003, 05:35   #4
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 11:37
The worst game Ive bought this year!! It wont even install properly on my new rig, Advent 3.2 and top shop everything else etc with XP home.

Installs and runs fine on a lower spec machine running ME though.

So I gave it to my kids
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 26, 2003, 14:38   #5
Zuchla
Settler

Local Time: 06:37
I skiped this one after playing the demo. Idiotic clickfest.
Old October 26, 2003, 14:44   #6
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:37
I agree, it's crap.

Anyone want to say otherwise?

Do It Ourselves
Old October 27, 2003, 18:41   #7
Mahdimael
Prince

Local Time: 10:37
I enjoy the game from time to time, but it is definitely a clickfest. The problem with the CDV games is that there's just too much stuff going on. If you took the cool things from the game (formations, capturing buildings with troops,etc) and put it into a much less complex shell, it would be great.

For me, there's nothing cooler than having a line of fusiliers standing their ground in the face of an enemy charge. Click the "hold fire" button and everyone shoots at once, and when the smoke clears, half the enemy line is gone. But to do that, you need to have officers, flagbearers, drummers, the right number of troops, then put them in a formation, march them to the right place, change them to stand ground and hold fire. That's a lot of micromanagement! Especially when you still have to think about workers and mines and upgrades...