Banana (republic) 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 16, 2003, 17:25   #1
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Who's the bigger bastard, Castro or Pinochet?
Two Latin American dictators. Both have many opponents and some defenders, even today. So... oh, why do these poll threads even need any explanation? Vote, damn you!
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old October 16, 2003, 17:28   #2
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 05:40
I think it'd have to be Pinochet. While Castro has been an authoritarian repressor of human rights and deserves to be condemned by that, he wasn't in to the whole mass death thing like Pinochet was.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old October 16, 2003, 19:05   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 10:40
As Shi said, Castro oppresses people, Pinochet kills people. Moreover, Castro believes he is doing something good. He is misguided, IMHO. Pinochet knows that killing people is not a 'good' thing to do.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old October 16, 2003, 19:13   #4
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:40
Pinochet was evil. Castro is just misguided.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 16, 2003, 19:13   #5
The Templar
Prince

Pinochet pulled off the world's biggest magic trick: thousands disappeared without a trace!

Castro is just Batista with universal health care/education and a few less ass whippings ...
Old October 16, 2003, 19:14   #6
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Castro is God, Pino is Devil

- Paul Valery
Old October 16, 2003, 19:15   #7
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
Castro is just Batista with universal health care/education and a few less ass whippings ...
. . . and less corruption and no torture and no disappearances and no extrajudicial killings (since the fall of the previous government) and no homelessness . . .
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 16, 2003, 19:16   #8
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 13:40
Quote:
Well, that just takes all of the fun out of it, doesn't it?
Old October 16, 2003, 19:22   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

What Shi said
Old October 16, 2003, 19:24   #10
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

. . . and less corruption and no torture and no disappearances and no extrajudicial killings (since the fall of the previous government) and no homelessness . . .
Huh, didn't know anyone disappeared under Batista. Learn something new every day.
Old October 16, 2003, 19:24   #11
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
I think it'd have to be Pinochet. While Castro has been an authoritarian repressor of human rights and deserves to be condemned by that, he wasn't in to the whole mass death thing like Pinochet was.
You're a traitor to the republic party and the american people, and should be executed immideately.

I agree with Shi.
Old October 16, 2003, 19:27   #12
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:40
Pinochet gets my vote for the torture and murder of thousands of young people. Like in Argentina, most of the victiims were idealistic young kids, teenagers, university students.

Such a tragedy, the flower of a generation cut down before they could even make a contribution to their society.

Castro is no angel either but the tragedy there is the US turned on him too early.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old October 16, 2003, 19:34   #13
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
Huh, didn't know anyone disappeared under Batista. Learn something new every day.
Not alot, but some.
Old October 16, 2003, 19:37   #14
Az
Emperor

Well, the Castro regime isn't all that peachy that way, either. But of course, comparing to Pinochet, he's a ****ing angel.

He just held an Israeli writer for a couple of years, thinking he was a Mossad spy.
Old October 16, 2003, 19:38   #15
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:40
which he probably was

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old October 16, 2003, 19:40   #16
Az
Emperor

Why, of course.
Old October 16, 2003, 19:44   #17
chequita guevara
Emperor

It's not like Mossad never messes around in Latin America. Hell, the IDF trained Guatemalan officers when the U.S. was forbidden to do so by Congress (at a time when the leaders of Guatemala believed there was a world wide Jewish conspiracy to destroy capitalism).
Old October 16, 2003, 19:46   #18
Az
Emperor

So why did they release him?

Quote:
at a time when the leaders of Guatemala believed there was a world wide Jewish conspiracy to destroy capitalism
This makes sense.
Old October 16, 2003, 19:47   #19
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

The usual procedure is to expel spies if they have a foreign citizenship.

Anyways, Castro is bad, but Pinochet was extremely bad. Any government that does not give people a say is obviously reprehensible and neither of the two regimes did or does.
Old October 16, 2003, 19:59   #20
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Quote:
at a time when the leaders of Guatemala believed there was a world wide Jewish conspiracy to destroy capitalism
This makes sense.
When the U.S. can't get involved directly, Israel will sometimes do our dirty work. Remember, this was when you were selling weapons to Iran, a sworn enemy, on our behalf.
Old October 16, 2003, 20:00   #21
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
I misvoted. Subtract a pinochet vote
Old October 16, 2003, 20:01   #22
Az
Emperor

Quote:
When the U.S. can't get involved directly, Israel will sometimes do our dirty work. Remember, this was when you were selling weapons to Iran, a sworn enemy, on our behalf.
Erm, what time was that, again?
Old October 16, 2003, 20:06   #23
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
Any government that does not give people a say is obviously reprehensible and neither of the two regimes did or does.
The Cuban people have quite a bit of say in their government. They may not be able to choose between parties, but they don't have to vote for Communists at the lower levels and theycan choose among them at higher levels. Granted, that's not what we call free government, but it is a say.

On top of that, Castro personally goes around and holds meetings with large bodies of people in Cuba, listening to their problems and then directing resources to take care of them. In this sense, he is very much in line with the old Latin American caudillos, or strong men.

This is one of the secrets to Castro's popularity. People blame the government for problems, but know that when Castro hears about them, he'll fix things right up. Of course, since resources are limited, as Castro goes from place to place, eventually resources promised to one place must be pulled away to fix some new promise Castro has made, and the government, not Castro, gets the blame.

So the Cuban people actually do have input, considerably more than most people imagine.
Old October 16, 2003, 20:08   #24
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Erm, what time was that, again?
That would be the whole Iran-Contra scandal back in the early 1980s. We sold weapons to Israel, who then turned around and sold them to Iran, because we couldn't directly sell to Iran.
Old October 16, 2003, 20:10   #25
Az
Emperor

Yes, I remembered it just as I hit the 'send' button. What was the reason the US wanted to sell weapons to Iran? I didn't understand this.
Old October 16, 2003, 20:11   #26
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
Quote:
Yes, I remembered it just as I hit the 'send' button. What was the reason the US wanted to sell weapons to Iran? I didn't understand this.
Trying to get back the hostages that the Bekaa valley terrorists had captured.
Old October 16, 2003, 20:13   #27
Az
Emperor

Ahh, I am reading the report as we speak.

what a moronic plan...
Old October 16, 2003, 20:15   #28
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO
Trying to get back the hostages that the Bekaa valley terrorists had captured.
There were three reasons. This was the first reason.

2) to try and ensure a stalemate between Iran and Iraq. The U.S. aided both sides so that neither side would win.

3) To generate some unaccounted revenue that could then be shunted illegally to the Contras, without the Treasury or Congress knowing about it. This is why people went to jail (though they were ultimately pardoned).
Old October 16, 2003, 20:16   #29
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
what a moronic plan...
It did get some hostages released. But then more would just be taken.
Old October 16, 2003, 20:21   #30
Az
Emperor

I just read a report. It seems that not all of them were released.

In any case, I think the president should be impeached for such a thing.

Stupid stupid stupid. As to the involvement of our leadership, it seems as if, this wasn't something that could actually threaten Israel's security, yet is very idiotic, too.