Old October 17, 2003, 17:12   #1
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
*** Urgent - Note To Makahlua Re The 2142 Turn ***
Makahlua:

(I don't have your e-mail addy so felt the posts were the quickest way of getting your attention)

The Pirates to Drones 2142 turn you posted is actually the Hive's 2143 turn (meaning that somehow the end-of-year Drones turn got skipped.

While there are certain instances where that can happen, i think the explanation is prolly simpler - that somehow you managed to click thru the drones "save" and got to the hive's instead.

if you have a pre end-turn save, can you go through the "tiurn complete" cycle again and ensure that it is the drones that get saved.

(If it still comes up Hive, then we have a real problem - but it's not systemic in the game as I can go seamlessly from your 2142 turn to the drones 2142 one)

G.)
Old October 17, 2003, 17:23   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

M:

You need to replay the turn - and be careful

Explanation:

You somehow used the "quit" or "resign" feature when you ended the turn - the PEACE are no longer in the game, hence the skipping of the Drones right to the start of the next year

Also - you called Planetary Governorship elections - did you mean to (I hadn't seen anything posted or polled to that effect in the PEACE forum)

[edit] - maybe you didn't inadvertently call elections - it might be a feature when a player exits the game that elections are called[/edit]

G.

Last edited by Googlie; October 17, 2003 at 17:40.
Old October 17, 2003, 18:35   #3
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 05:46
Unless you've gotten some feedback from Maki indicating otherwise, I wouldn't think she's have to replay the whole turn; there are some intermediate saves (and supposedly an end of turn save which I haven't looked at yet), so they should be adequate for a replay.

Someone must have been dipping into the xenorum while on duty.
Old October 17, 2003, 19:39   #4
johndmuller
King

Googlie:

While this is getting sorted out, I meanwhile loaded up the latest file I had from Maki and saved it again under my initials and uploaded it here.

Please note: I am not comfortable deeming this the 'official' end turn, as that isn't my job at the moment (and I personally have some questions about certain things in this version of the turn which I thought were being still discussed and/or possibly changed/different in some other version of the end turn save file (at least I hope so)).

So try it out (i.e. turn complete, etc) and see if it works for you. When I try, it wants to go to the Benedictines (I take it that is the hive?)

There were some strange things seemingly in there that I noticed just glancing through it, for example, in Tripoli' psych screen, there are 3 non-drones in our 'unmodified' state (should be 1 or none) and SE changes seem to cost 57ec's for 1 and 81 for 2 instead of the 40 and whatever it should cost. Did the difficulty level get reset somehow? Of course, I was surprised to see them at Demo Planned when the last I looked they were Demo Wealth too, but that is probably on purpose by someone.

I opened the copy of the original turn from the Borg and both of those problems - with the SE costs and the drones vs workers at unmodified was OK, but more importantly, hitting turn complete worked as expected, going to the Drones. So it seems to be something that happened on Maki's machine.
Old October 17, 2003, 20:12   #5
Googlie
Emperor

I think that the turn needs to be replayed from the beginning of year 2142.

Following a little bit of sleuthing ...

a) the turn you uploaded doesn't need a password to open, therefore is a corrupted.sav

b) When I open the turn you uploaded, I get the same result - wants to save and skip to the Hive

c) If I open the original 2142 turn, and use the left hand save and quit features (as I might do if I were wrestling with tab/alt and a paint program), and then save it , when Ii re-open it the SE choices have automatically changed from Simple to Planned, and, as you say, the cost has gone up (and I don't need a password to re-open that .sav)

d) if you click on "council" then you automatically call for elections (and the AI has voted for you)

So an entire replay is in order

G.
Old October 17, 2003, 20:35   #6
johndmuller
King

I like that part about the AI voting for us (I didn't think we were even on the ballot). When I opened the turn from the Borgs, and it asked for the password, I flashed on how it might not have when openning the corrupted turn, but I wasn't sure enough to mention it - there seemed to be enough other stuff effed up.

I'm not sure I understand what you did to replicate the problem; what you described sounds pretty much like what you do to make a mid-turn save, which works OK, as far as I know. I think that some odd things can happen if you start to save and then click back on the game window, or alt-tab your way back (while the file selection window for the original save is still open, but now behind everything) to the SMAX main window - perhaps you can issue yet another save or turn complete at this point that leads to a corrupted version; is that what you did? Alternatively, if you give the "quit" command, I think it brings up a file save box anyway (which I usually blow off with a cancel if I'm just trying to get out of the program); is filling out that save box how one gets into this trouble?
Old October 17, 2003, 20:48   #7
Googlie
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller
I like that part about the AI voting for us
naw - I meant that the AI had cast your vote on your behalf (the candidates were Hive and Angels)

Quote:
Alternatively, if you give the "quit" command, I think it brings up a file save box anyway (which I usually blow off with a cancel if I'm just trying to get out of the program); is filling out that save box how one gets into this trouble?
Your surmise is correct. If you bring up the save menu, but select "quit" (as I believe Mak possibly did when she was frustrated by the paint/smac switching) and then do the 'slink away in shame", you still get prompted for a .sav. It prolly was that she thought that the turn had been salvaged,, so saved it then.

That one, though is the corrupt one - no password needed, SE settings have changed and gotten more exopensive, drone problems solved, autommatic election call as soon as you hit "commlink" etc

(And I too just blow them off by hitting "cancel" to get out of smax)

G.
Old October 18, 2003, 11:52   #8
Googlie
Emperor

see my post in the PEACE turn thread