Local Date: October 30, 2010
Perhaps christmas this year should be our deadline
Old January 19, 2002, 17:32   #182
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 23:00
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Marcel I, you’re right, it's a slow one ! Rufus can’t play and Thoddy is nowhere around. I suggest that if Thoddy doesn’t reappear by the end of next week, you play the next turns.
Doesn’t anybody want to join us ? We’re only two right now
Old January 20, 2002, 02:58   #183
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 18:00
No limits patch: installed
Last savegame: viewed
confidence in success: real low

but if you've gotten that desperate for players I'll give it a shot, after Marcel. Any strategic goals you have in mind? SE Asia seems to be the vulnerable point?

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old January 21, 2002, 02:59   #184
Thoddy
Warlord

Local Time: 00:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sorry guys,
but I was ill for two weeks. And there I was not able accessing www. I try to play the next turns this week.
Old January 22, 2002, 16:24   #185
Marcel I
Warlord

OK Thoddy: go go go go
Old January 23, 2002, 03:10   #186
Thoddy
Warlord

Bad news,

I afraid I cannot join the game of the glorious alien civilisation for a while. It´s not possible for me to get further access to the www.

Hope this will not last forever. So i wish you good luck invading Planet Earth.
Old January 24, 2002, 15:46   #187
Marcel I
Warlord

for you Thoddy.
I hope your connection will soon be working again.
Is it allright I play a few turns then? I could play today and post on saturday.
Old January 25, 2002, 06:13   #188
Julius Brenzaida
King

Yeah, Marcel I, go ahead.
Play as many turns as you can : 10-15
Then STYOM and hopefully, Thoddy or Rufus can be back
Good luck, it is a tough challenge
Old January 25, 2002, 17:06   #189
moi
Chieftain

sometimes i really wish i had tot .

good luck on the invasion of earth!
Old January 26, 2002, 15:28   #190
Marcel I
Warlord

1948 Marcel I makes a comeback as leader of the great alien nation.
Isabella let's the world gape in awe by her invention of reality engineering
1949 Issus builds SDI-defense. One giant step for alien kind. Citywalls are next. Our foothold should be protected well. Nothing special just a spanish armor destroyed.
1950 pop 133 mln. lost a spider and a mupbu to airattack
1951 Russians discover bioplasmas, Spanish trancedence
1952 pop 137mln
1953 Aliens incite revolt in Kharkov and take bioplasma. ditto in Uralsk and Maikop. One spy is captured. These 3 cities cost us about 40.000 gold but I expect it to be a nice foothold in south eastern asia. The russians don't succeed in taking these cities back thanks to SDI defense thwarting a nuclear attack.
1954 Incited revolt in Grozny It's taking another 20.000 gold We're making about 6.000 a turn so our reserves will soon be depleted. The Russian launch 3 nuclear missiles at Kharkov without succes. Americans lose 2 stealthbombers in attack on Maikop. The city's defenders don't take casualties. Russians attack with 2 dreadnoughts at Town Crier with predictable results: the city is lost
1955 pop 146 mln Aliens incite revolt in Bryansk. Spy airlifted to Pidgin English to take Town Crier back.
This game will be very hard if we can't defend our home cities better. Most of the cities don't have good defenders
1956 Incited revolts in Town Crier and Vologda. The might of the Russians must be broken quick or they will overwhelm our weaker defended cities. Americans and Russians declare war on each other.
1957 Population 152 mln Changed production to dreadnoughts in most of the cities formerly producing drakons. It seems the Spanish are on the island southeast of dublin. I still wonder where the Russians are. Russians develop hyperentropics. Global warming feared.
1958 Incited revolution in Naples Hyperentropics taken. Gold down to 8.200 Naples liberated by Russians
1959 Murmansk bribed. Naples taken and destroyed by Russians in counterattack
1960 Sydney founded. We are still much too weak to conquer or bribe faster. Russians capture Beyond believe.
1961 We bribe Matsuyama and Beyond believe
1962 No achievements Riflemen's home taken by another Russian dreadnought Polution is a real problem. We haven't enough engineers or mupbu's to deal with it effectively
1963 Riflemen's home liberated Fukushima bribed
Marcel I resigns and wishes his successor luck.
Old January 26, 2002, 15:32   #191
Marcel I
Warlord

forgot the attachment
Attached Files:
File Type: zip aliens.zip (122.6 KB, 3 views)
Old January 26, 2002, 15:45   #192
King

I hate to say it, but I'm gonna have to skip my first turn!! I'm packing up for a major move to be finished next weekend, so I won't have time to play before Feb 9/10 at least.

Feel free to skip me and I'll take the next go-round...

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old January 28, 2002, 10:46   #193
Julius Brenzaida
King

STYOM, I think that considering the actual pace of the game, we can wait for your return. Try to play before the end of february and it should be fine. We're in no hurry.
Marcel I, great job but it is still tough
Old February 2, 2002, 19:02   #194
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:00
Could I possibly join in???

For some reason I´ve been constantly ignoring this thread (probably because I didn´t have ToT yet when this game started ), and only after reading a post at CivFanatics today I realised what this thread was about.

Are there any things I should know about?

By the way, is there any particular reason this game is progressing so slowly? The other Extended Original succession game (in the ToT forum) took "only" 4 and a half months.
Old February 4, 2002, 10:55   #195
Julius Brenzaida
King

Mercator, welcome to the team.
You can start playing immediatly
If you take the time (it requires some) to read the whole thread you might begin to understand that :
1) many players did quit, some without telling us and we lost time waiting for them.
2) each succession game is supposed to have some "chairman" and I haven't been a tight one
3) the game is long ans difficult, almost impossible to win, and playing 5 to 10 turns requires some efforts.
All that said, we're glad to have a new recruit.
Play now; and then, hopefully, STYOM will be back and then maybe Thoddy or Rufus.
As for any strategy, it's all the fun of succession games to have none, each ruler being independant. (But Marcel I gave some insight).
Good luck
Old February 7, 2002, 09:48   #196
Mercator
Emperor

I´m onto it... It´ll take a while though, probably.
I got another nice surprise when I opened the savegame... It´s a gigamap! That is one giant map! It almost becomes an entirely new game like this.
Old February 7, 2002, 12:35   #197
Thoddy
Warlord

Hello Alienz,

this is Thoddy. Some bad news and some good news.
Bad news: Access to the www. is almost impossible for me.
But you can send me an E-mail to my adress (see above) with the attached file. I will play some turns and remail to the sender.

Greetings
Old February 7, 2002, 17:06   #198
Julius Brenzaida
King

Ok Thoddy, welcome back. Mercator is playing his turns and then I'll send the game to you.
Old February 7, 2002, 22:39   #199
King

Works fine for me... I'm still unpacking and haven't found my ToT disk... I'll jump in in a week or whenever someone goes AWOL next (whichever comes second )

STYOM

Old February 9, 2002, 16:28   #200
Mercator
Emperor

Right... I think I screwed up rather big. It was going rather well, until I forgot about an unhappy city in I just liberated in 1968 and suddenly all hell broke loose.
Should I continue, reload or pass it on?
Old February 10, 2002, 17:38   #201
Julius Brenzaida
King

Mercator, you may do as you please.
Either reload (close to cheating ), restart (close to perfectionnism ) or put the game as it is
The situation is already desperate anyway
Old February 10, 2002, 17:52   #202
Mercator
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida
Mercator, you may do as you please.
Either reload (close to cheating ), restart (close to perfectionnism ) or put the game as it is
OK, I wasn´t sure how much you´re against reloading (I didn´t mean reloading from now on to reduce any negative effects, mind you), but I think I´ll start back from my last save then, a year or two before the unfortunate mistake. I probably forgot most of the details of what happened anyway... I´ll just make sure a little better that I keep the citizens happy and the cities defended.

Quote:
The situation is already desperate anyway
You can say that! Our home defenses are basically... non-existant... and the unit-limit has been reached!
Old February 10, 2002, 18:02   #203
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Maybe you should go for Commie-->NO unhappiness,NO unitsupport(first 3),NO corruption(yeah I know less trade but maybe this break can get you back on to track and then you swich back to DEMO or Rep)

Shade(never mind me,just try to help)
Old February 10, 2002, 18:11   #204
Mercator
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by shade
Maybe you should go for Commie-->NO unhappiness,NO unitsupport(first 3),NO corruption(yeah I know less trade but maybe this break can get you back on to track and then you swich back to DEMO or Rep)
Actually, I didn´t really realise what government we had until the government collapsed. I thought it was Fundamentalism, although that´s rather silly since there were loads of unhappy people.
Old February 10, 2002, 23:25   #205
King

Strategizin'
I peeked at the game a week or two ago back when I still could find my disk... so everything I say now may be based on inaccurate info.

I figure we're in Demo because of "the money, honey..." correct? Where has the trade been going, assuming we can build caravans?

If we can't build caravans... maybe fundy is a better idea? Considering that we're behind in tech, we can steal it to catch up? Has anyone compared cash flow in fundy vs demo yet?

Sorry if these are dumb questions... but the suspense is killing me here, I need a Civ fix...

STYOM

Old February 11, 2002, 06:36   #206
Mercator
Emperor

Re: Strategizin'
Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
I figure we're in Demo because of "the money, honey..." correct? Where has the trade been going, assuming we can build caravans?
I think we´re way to busy to build caravans. We´re in the middle of a war!

Quote:
If we can't build caravans... maybe fundy is a better idea? Considering that we're behind in tech, we can steal it to catch up? Has anyone compared cash flow in fundy vs demo yet?
We´ve discovered everything but Fusion Power, and we can´t research that.

Quote:
Sorry if these are dumb questions... but the suspense is killing me here, I need a Civ fix...
I´ll hurry!
Old February 12, 2002, 15:17   #207
Mercator
Emperor

I didn't realise this was a gigamap!

1963: We're done with researching, right? Anyway, all Libraries and Universities are now sold (well, except for one that couldn't be sold yet)... Result: Instant cash bonus and reduced property maintenance.
1964: Russians discover Reality Engineering. Huh? captured by Russians. Other cities, such as Almost Blue and Whut? under attack. Population reaches 163 million.
Water supply in Tiflis poisoned, spy escapes. Hopefully this'll bring down the bribery cost somewhat. Huh? bought back, we take Reality Engineering. Capua destroyed.
1965: Some good news and some bad news: we have reached the unit limit! Since our defences are laughable, we may have a slight problem. But then again, the attack forces can't be that large either. Maybe we can somehow turn this to our advantage by maintaining the unit limit with cheap units (e.g. Spies), so the Earthlings' attack force will eventually dwindle down to nothing (assuming they lose units faster than we done )... Yes, I think we shouldn't kill units ourselves anymore. Units are built at the start of a turn, so if we kill units, our enemies can "refill" the units to max. On the other hand, when we are attacked, we can replenish our and their losses by our own units when it is our turn! In other words, we have to build up our defenses.
The Spanish city of Seville has been founded North of Lindy Hop. Whut? lost to the Russians.
The city limit has been reached too!
Nuclear Plants sold, Democracy overthrown (brace yourselves).
1966: Seville captured and destroyed, Transcendence taken.
1967: Government changed to Fundamentalism. Whut? recaptured.
1969: Bizen revolts and joins our cause.
1971: Russians discover Transcendence.
1972: Earthly icecaps melt! ... I have the feeling there's some kind of pattern in the terrain changing... The Earth looks rather striped now.
1973: We now have all technologies, Fusion Power stolen... Although that was rather an accident, and I thought we couldn't possess Fusion Power.

I haven't done much on the offense, but I have improved our defenses a lot although there are still quite a few barely defended cities.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip alien.zip (115.3 KB, 6 views)
Old February 13, 2002, 14:15   #208
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida
Ok Thoddy, welcome back. Mercator is playing his turns and then I'll send the game to you.
So after Thoddy plays, I'm assuming Julius will post the save and then I go, yes?

STYOM

Old February 14, 2002, 05:14   #209
Julius Brenzaida
King

Game sent to Thoddy. STYOM, you're next
Nice job Mercator. Maybe our best plan is to nuke earth to death, then we'll strike down the industrial capacities of those pesty earth civilizations. And then, defending our own planet is a priority
Old February 15, 2002, 05:28   #210
Julius Brenzaida
King

Thoddy has already played his turns : great
Here's the log :

played until 1984. Population is about 173 mio.
The Alien Empire under Thoddy took a russian city (cost 12000) in 1977 by
bribing. 3 russian Dreadnaughts join the alien Empire (a 6100 gold) on AC. To
get faster reinforcements to our new habitats on earth Thoddy build 5
transporter improvements.
So all units within cities on AC can travel to earth simply by pressing "n".
All Cities that produces units in 1973 are changed to produce the strongest
unit (magogs). Some produce spys. Problem, some citys did not have barracks. So
we didnt get Vets. Keep an eye open.

In 1980 the Spanish take our city of Horse Feathers by this reason. Also in
1980 the russians take Town Grier. Both citys were retaken in 1980 by planting
nuclear devices in the cities and then taking back by an magog. Seems to be a
good strategy but need up to 5 spys. I think we should attack the spanish city
on AC. My landing force was used up to retake Town Grier and setup new defences.
There are also 2 straying spanish magogs near Town Grier.

I build lots of nuclear power stations. Cheap only 2 gold upkeep (instead 4 for
solar or water power).

In 1980 the English and Americans form a treaty against us.

Some Engineers moved to earth to clean up pollution. They need protection by
magogs.

3 former japanese citys attacked with the nuclear device of spys. Tons of units
killed without taking the citys. So we get space to build up our own forces.

Our City of Charkov??!! is under permanent nuclear attack. Russians and
Americans wasted about 40 nuclear rockets on this city. I dont know the reason.
(Maybe some hidden magnets in the city) No other city was attacked with nuclear
units. I protected the northern frontline to the Americans with an fortified
magog. I think this chokepoint needs some reinforcements, because the americans
also get the magogs in 1983. We should also build a road to get better access
to the american infrastructure.

Russians change government to democracy in 1980.

2 Transports with magogs and spys aboard are on the way to Australia to take an
beachhead.