Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 23:00
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
And here's the saved game
STYOM, you're next
Attached Files:
File Type: zip zz_a1984.zip (128.5 KB, 2 views)
Old February 15, 2002, 05:32   #212
Julius Brenzaida
King

Thoddy's great log can be found on the former page
Old February 15, 2002, 11:42   #213
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 18:00
Got it... I should be able to play it this weekend.

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old February 17, 2002, 20:19   #214
King

It is the Year 1984. Amid general pandemonium, STYOA becomes War Thing for the empire of Zzzzyyx. A plan is formulated.

Our alien empire has 222 units, and 76 cities. Since we're bumping up against the unit and city limit, this means that there are about 179 human cities left, garrisoned by about 1826 units. That's 10 units per city, on average... does that seem high to you, too?

Our inhuman plan is to destroy the human nations by turning their world into a polluted waste. No longer will we waste time cleaning their vile planet. Instead, we will work to actively pollute it... if the humans are indeed trying to support 10 units per city as democracies, they'll have a hard time doing that with swamp and irrigated desert.

Hey, how come we can't build embassies? That sucks.

1984: Humans attack us without success, luckily. Most cities on Homeworld set to build SAM, Recycling Centre as needed, otherwise Magogs. Spies for bribery seem pointless as both Russians and Americans are in Democracies...

1985: Superhighways on Humanworld sold for 600 gold on Earth (This also increases cash flow marginally). They don't do us any good in Fundamentalism, and we aren't going back to Democracy... ever!! But if anyone decides to please don't forget to sell the nuke plants before revolting . Apparently Superhighways do help on Homeworld, so they aren't sold.

Police Stations sold for 540 gold, increase cash flow by 18/turn. Again, no need in Fundy.

Units moving towards remaining Russian cities in SE Asia, others heading for American cities in NE Asia.

Transport bound for Australia offloaded in Indonesia, given the large numbers of Russian Dreadnoughts and Subs in area. Objectives Kursk & Cannae.

Amphibious landing near Yaroslavl; Cremona (Russian) approached by land.

Teleportation of Magogs from Homeworld to Humanworld in earnest.

(STYOM marvels at how slow ToT runs)

Leviathan trashes our Dreadnought and (empty) Transport near Borneo. Spanish Magogs approach Shabby Doll!

Americans continue to nuke Kharkov with no success.

1986: Numerous Recycling Centres started or if started, rushed on Homeworld.

Spanish Magogs destroyed; defenses rushed in area.

Global warming warning!!

1987: Cremona taken from Russians. Yaroslavl neared. Idea is to eliminate Russians from Asian continent; then we can gradually take their Indonesian cities with less sea travel needed (don't even try to cross directly to Australia, too many Leviathans, Benthons, Dreadnoughts etc.) and from there it's a short trip to the Russian stronghold in Australia.

There is a collection of 12 American cities in NE Asia... we are building up Spies, Magogs and Cyborgs in an attempt to take them in 2-3 turns, to forestall counterattack (seems there are no roads leading from the rest of American civ to this area)

Spy nukes Hakodate (US); we take it with a Teleporter... only one, as I doubt we can hold it. 992 gold plunder. I don't even want to think about how this is going to go if the Americans have 992 gold x # of cities...

Russian Benthon destroys what was left of our invasion fleet to Australia.

1988: Unit limit reached, again.

Nukes planted in Kagoshima and Edo (clearing space for more units...) Kagoshima taken by Teleporter; 1032 gold. Edo taken by Teleporter; 1152 gold. Kyoto taken by Magogs; 1400 gold. Nuke planted in Izumo.

Global warming warning again. American Eightball liberates Edo from us. (112 gold lost)

Unit limit warning.

1989: Izumo captured; 952 gold. Yaroslavl captured; 182 gold. Osaka captured; 2565 gold. Nara nuked & captured; 1056 gold.

Americans nuke Osaka. Wimps.

1990: Yaroslavl celebrates. Satsuma captured; 1960 gold. Edo liberated; 690 gold.

Russians nuke Yaroslavl.

1991: Nagasaki captured; 1440 gold. Nagoya captured; 954 gold.

1992: Yokohama captured; 960 gold.

OK, new plan. We're not able to make any headway in the unit shortage. Taking American cities isn't freeing up any appreciable amount of units. Presumably the Spanish, Russians and English are replacing them before our turn comes around again. We've got to force the Americans into a Fundamentalism, to get units via bribery. Accordingly production in many cities switched to Capitalization.

Global warming message on Humanworld!!

1993: Consolidation... troops move into position near Albuquerque. Large numbers of engineers & spies transported to Humanworld.

1994: More consolidation... able to build 3 Magogs this turn, so life isn't all bad.

STYOA crawls back into his shell at the end of his turn... not to wake until summoned again.

Thoughts: I didn't accomplish much in the last 2 turns, sorry. However units are poised near Albuquerque in NE Asia, and we have amassed a fairly large striking force of Spies, Magogs and Engineer types in the same area. My thinking is that we can pound away with Magogs at the Americans... turn after turn... and gradually whittle them down, with the aid of the odd Spy-based nuke! What I was planning on doing is rushing a RR right into American Territory, sneaking a bunch of Magogs through with Spies, and doing a number on Washington, Chicago, Buffalo and New York (Adam Smith, Hoover, Suffrage, Cure for Cancer). If we can force them out of their Democracy, we have an easy solution to our unit problems... not to mention a pile of cash (52000 + 6500/turn) to bribe with.

Also, since our turn follows the English, it's to our advantage to be attacked by them - units lost during the English turn can be replaced by new units we build.

Naturally, since this is a succession game, you can ignore me and all the foregoing... Good luck.

City count went to 89... population to 184 million... unit count went to 201 from 222... sorry about that. Kicking myself over letting Yaroslavl get nuked with a half-dozen units inside. That was just stupid.

STYOM
Attached Files:
File Type: zip zz_a1994.zip (122.0 KB, 2 views)

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old February 18, 2002, 07:58   #215
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
Hey, how come we can't build embassies? That sucks.
Well, you actually can build embassies, but human-alien contact is impossible through the foreign minister. Because of that, establishing an embassy only gives the opportunity to see the opponents' statistics at the moment of establishing. And you can't re-establish an embassy.

Quote:
But if anyone decides to please don't forget to sell the nuke plants before revolting .
I think that doesn't matter anymore since we got Fusion Power, which ends the possibility of a meltdown.
Old February 18, 2002, 14:53   #216
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator

I think that doesn't matter anymore since we got Fusion Power, which ends the possibility of a meltdown.
Riiight... I hadn't thought we could get Fusion, but as I scroll back I see we got it during your turns. Pls disregard my comment!

STYOM

Old February 18, 2002, 16:36   #217
Julius Brenzaida
King

It's great to see the game going and flowing
And nice job and nice plan STYOM
I agree with you. And as I am next we're going to pollute earth a little more
I will my turns on the second half of this week
Old February 25, 2002, 11:08   #218
Julius Brenzaida
King

Oups, sorry : I couldnt play last week
By this week-end, it should be done
Old February 25, 2002, 23:15   #219
King

Boooo.... boooooo... The alien mob grows angry...

OK, just kidding... When I took my ten turns it was about 6 hours playing time!!... so I can understand the delay.

Just keep it going, keep it going... and we should be done by April at worst!

STYOM

Old March 1, 2002, 07:16   #220
Marcel I
Warlord

At least, I don't think there will be a second aniversary to this game
Old March 1, 2002, 11:23   #221
Julius Brenzaida
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcel I
At least, I don't think there will be a second aniversary to this game
I wouldn't be that sure
There is no 2020 limit in the Extended Original game once a spaceship has landed.
It might take forever to nuke, er conquer the world
Sunday I will post whatever the number of turns I have been able to play
Old March 6, 2002, 16:06   #222
Mercator
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida
Sunday I will post whatever the number of turns I have been able to play
Did you have any particular Sunday in mind?
Old March 8, 2002, 08:00   #223
Julius Brenzaida
King

Well, I had sunday the 3rd of march in mind, but it was a good idea not to be too specific.
Maybe this sunday, sorry I've got a lot of work
Old March 12, 2002, 19:58   #224
King

I think Julius must be busy working on a versin 2.0 of the excellent no-limits patch, that will get rid of that annoying unit limit

STYOM

Old March 15, 2002, 09:05   #225
Julius Brenzaida
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
I think Julius must be busy working on a versin 2.0 of the excellent no-limits patch, that will get rid of that annoying unit limit
STYOM
Well, It is more pragmatical work that has kept me from playing.
I promise my turns will be done by the end of the week.
I've gotten rid of the units and cities limits, but then the game crashes. There's some discussions on the subject in the civ2 creation forum
Old March 16, 2002, 12:08   #226
Julius Brenzaida
King

Here's my log !
1994 ad. Defense will be the key of my ministry. Money is useless because our opponents are all in democracy. We stop capitalizing and build SDI’s, Sam’s and other improvements on our beautiful Alpha cities. They shall resplendish while the earth is burning.
1995 ad. Many opponents die while attacking on Alpha. An attempt to plant a nuke device in the city of Albuquerque fails. Magogs and spies advance deeper in American territory.
1996 ad. Same as 1995, no significant progress but I think that with this pollution on earth, time is on our side. Albuquerque resists a second nuking attempt.
1997, 1998 ad. We nuke and capture Capua.
1999 ad. We nuke and capture Nuremberg.
2000 ad. Both cities have resisted an american counter-attack which unfortunately killed two colonists who were improving our communications. We nuke and capture Albuquerque. Jamais 2 sans 3 !
2001 ad. The new millenium begins with a great news : the dreaded “units limits box” did not appear. The americans seem to have been hit hard and the english threw a little more kamikaze attacks than usual. We nuke and capture (stop me if you’ve heard this one before) Munich.
2002 ad. American counter-attack easily stopped. More english air units bite dust.
2003 ad. We nuke and capture Hannover and Hamburg.
2004 ad. No significant american counter-attack. We clean up units around the german cities.

We’ve made significant progress : 6 cities captured and our armies can now use the power of 62 magogs, almost all of them on the american front. They’re our best weapon, I’ve been disapointed by the dreadnought.
Old March 16, 2002, 12:13   #227
Julius Brenzaida
King

Sorry for the delay. But once I started playing, I couldn’t stop. Boy it was a great battle ! Everything is going well. The german cities of the american empire fall one after another. Defense is now fierce bur our spies and magogs are deadly. I think we should leave the core of the american empire alone and head for the english, to get more units more easily. Our defense on alpha are still barely adequate, but the AI strategy there is so poor we do not need fear too much.
Ah yes, two grand designs for my successors. We now have enough spies to maybe nuke 6-7 american cities at once. It could help to secure more units quite fast. Another plan but which requires careful calculation would be to get rid of useless units and building other at the same turn. I explain : city 43 as a none archer, city 43 produces city walls (or anything else), we zoom and disband the archer. City 42 can then produce a magog. I’ve just had this idea in 2004. If somebody else could micromanage that it would be great, otherwise, I’ll try to do it when the game is back to me.
Old March 16, 2002, 12:17   #228
Julius Brenzaida
King

Here’s the saved game.
Marcel I should be next, then Thoddy, Mercator and STYOM.
If someone wishes to come back (Rufus are you ok ?) or to join, you’re most welcome.
There is still 1800 ai units to kill !
Attached Files:
File Type: zip invasion2004.zip (133.9 KB, 4 views)
Old March 17, 2002, 01:18   #229
King

I haven't opened the zip yet but it sounds good, Julius. The more cities we take, the harder it will be for the AI to keep those 1800 units supported. I think also that if we keep up the pressure, eventually the Americans or English will have to drop out of Demo - at least that's what the AI seems to do when it loses a few cities. I would be surprised if the AI had been programmed to stay out of Fundy when it can't build more units, anyway.

And I like your idea re: disbanding units during start of turn while in the 'zoom to city' mode. But help me out here please, am I right to assume cities report new construction inversely to how they appear in the 'City Report' screen? In other words, oldest cities report last?

If that's the case, then it make sense to have older cities ALWAYS set to be building Magogs/Spies/Mupbu (even spending $$$ to ensure that some Magogs will be built each turn), and to move as many of our more obsolete units as possible to 1 or 2 of our newest cities (not newest to us, but 'newest' as in, founded latest in the game). Not leaving defenses too thin, of course, but you get the idea.

Then, those 'newest' cities should be set to build something useless each turn (maybe an extra courthouse?). Thus, each turn, if we know that, say, 6 Magogs will be built by 6 of our oldest cities, we can build a courthouse in one of the designated 'newest' cities and the 6 obsolete units we parked stored there can be disbanded, during the 'zoom' mode that appears after the courthouse is built. That way, less micromanaging is required - we only need to move the obsolete units to 1 city, and then only have to rushbuild 1 improvement and as many new units as we have to disband in the 'newer' city. Am I right?

I will try your idea when it gets to my turn again.

STYOM

Old March 17, 2002, 11:39   #230
King

Oh, also... as soon as we capture a city that's within range of English missiles, it might be an idea to rush-buy more units. If the English lose a lot of units attacking us during their turn, unit spaces will open up for us to build in (since our turn is directly after the English).

STYOM

Old March 18, 2002, 11:07   #231
Julius Brenzaida
King

STYOM, yeah, we should get to the English, as I already agreed in an earlier post : forget the core cities of the Americans in Siberia and head our forces to Africa, the land of the English.

As for the updating units strategies, you got it well. But all our cities should be producing veteran units of the highest techs anyway : we can't produce weaker units, they'll get killed next turns. Many magogs, some dreadnoughts (their ability to change world without portals is great), a few more Mbupu and spies. If some fly units can take cities they should be welcome too (drakons ?).

But nuking cities is the key as we cannot (yet) get a clear number superiority to overwhelm the defenses that get such bonuses the loss of the attacker are frightening.
Old March 18, 2002, 18:33   #232
King

Dreadnoughts can take cities - and they're better than Drakons on a/d/m, with better hit points and defense vs air units. That said, both of them are fairly useless for what they cost IMO - they're basically helicopters, with one attack per turn and quite vulnerable compared with the Magog (which are all around great... a/d, hp, fp, x2 vs air, and has native teleport).

And I agree - our cities should build only the best units if they're building units. What I meant is that our oldest cities should be building units as opposed to improvements or capitalization.

Go Marcel, go...

STYOM

Old March 19, 2002, 03:14   #233
Thoddy
Warlord

Local Time: 00:00
Quote:
[SIZE=1]
And I agree - our cities should build only the best units if they're building units. What I meant is that our oldest cities should be building units as opposed to improvements or capitalization.
Go Marcel, go...
STYOM

and head our forces to Africa, the land of the English.
Julius
I agree with this overall strategy.
Old March 22, 2002, 08:44   #234
Marcel I
Warlord

Its my turn again.
Time flies when you're having fun
I'll download it when I'm at home.
I hope I ll have some results by the end of this weekend, 'cause next week will be hell at work (so I won't have time to play then)

Last edited by Marcel I; March 22, 2002 at 08:52.
Old March 22, 2002, 09:32   #235
Julius Brenzaida
King

Great to see that you're at it Marcel I
Play when it is possible
If it takes you more than a week, it's still ok, hell I took much more time.
What you can do otherwise is post after you've played fewer turns
Good luck, the war is going well, but it's still a long long road
Old March 23, 2002, 16:53   #236
Marcel I
Warlord

In 2004 our people cry out for a great leader, so Marcel I, once again, leaves his place at the TV to fulfill this task.
His predecessors have left him with a healthy empire and a badly contaminated earth
2005 The Russians capture wildside .
Other cities withstand attacks, not without losses at Hamburg.
Heidelburg, Berlin and Cincinnati nuked by us . Attempts on leipzig fail. Bremen, Heidelberg, Leipzig, Dordmund and Berlin taken. Wildside liberated. Global warming feared All is going well. The alien civ is no 1.
Whut, Bremen and Heidelberg attacked by Americans with no succes. 2 engineers and 3 magogs however were killed.
2006 Frankfurt nuked. Conquests consolidated in this and the next year
2008 Use spies to sabotage production in Köln and Kansas city. Americans take Heidelberg
2009 Heidelberg liberated The Americans lose a lot of units in attacking our positions. The English are trying some attacks too.
2010 We capture Köln, Brandenburg and Crete. Global warming Icecaps melt severe drought on earth , but damn on Centaurus as well . Our opponents keep killing mupbu's that are cleaning polution.
2011 This year really starts disastrous . Pollution is increasing on centaurus. We need mupbu's badly.
Frankfurt conquered The Americans take Frankfurt back We take some losses on our magog army. But the drought on earth is keeping on. That will teach those eartlings.
The population in many of our Earth cities is now decreasing but the drought will hit those earthlings a lot harder than us.
2012 Liberated frankfurt. Captured Naples. Americans liberate Naples and Köln.
2013 We capture Detroit Detroit nuked by russians
2014 Detroit taken by Americans. Köln liberated and Kansas city taken.
Marcel I thinks about some notes of advice for his successor. The bottom-line is that damned unit limit. I agree with the strategy to hit the English when we can. It's hard to build a road to their cities so maybe we could surpise them coming with teleport from the islands on Centaurus. It will take a while to get there though. If we could secure only one city in Africa they would lose a lot of units to recapture it.
Hail to our new High priest
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 2014.zip (138.7 KB, 2 views)
Old March 24, 2002, 17:25   #237
Julius Brenzaida
King

Nice job Marcel I and what's more, a quick one
The war, despite a few setbacks is going our way
Yes, all against the english
As for the Mpubu being destroyed, it is obvious now that we need to procect them all with a Magog.
Units, give me more units
Mercator is next on the line, then Thoddy and STYOM.
Go Mercator, go
Old March 24, 2002, 17:37   #238
Mercator
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida
Mercator is next on the line, then Thoddy and STYOM.
Go Mercator, go
OK... I won't be able to do anything the next couple of days (busy busy busy), but I'll find some time, eventually.
And well, time hasn't been much of an urgent factor in this game anyway...
Old March 31, 2002, 16:22   #239
Mercator
Emperor

2014: All Recycling Centers on Earth sold... Now I think of it, maybe that wasn't too smart. Oh well, let's pollute this damned planet!
2015: Americans liberate Frankfurt and Kansas City. We recapture it.
2016: More attacks as usual, several cities lose their defenses, but none are captured. I change production in several Centaurus cities to Recycling Centers. It's better we prevent any new pollution than having to waste units on cleaning everything up.
We capture Cannae, after nuking it.
2017: Graceland and Riflemen's Home lost to the Russians.
I could actually build units, and quite a few of them too. I'm now starting to build a railroad to the English city of Salzburg with Mupbus, defended by Magogs. Once there we can build a railroad to Capua and we'll have a connection to the English railway system.
We nuke Detroit and capture it. Graceland and Riflemen's Home liberated.
Washington nuked and captured. American government escapes to San Diego.
2018: Ah hell, Washington recaptured. Again, plenty of units built.
Well, I'll just continue on the course I've been going here... San Diego nuked and captured! Government escapes to Buffalo. The government still doesn't feel like collapsing, it seems. And they probably have enough money to support a zillion more capital moves...
But this time I brought 3 Magogs along (well, I planned to take 3 cities, since I also brought 3 spies, but it took me 3 spies to successfully nuke San Diego).
2019: Ack! Dortmund rebels and becomes American. Americans steal Boht Comaree.
I think I must be dreaming... I didn't see the "Too many units" pop-up. Yay!
I nuke and capture Buffalo, and we gain the Hoover Dam! That suddenly makes me think of something. Maybe we could target wonder cities, to gain some handy wonders... The American government is now in New Orleans.
2020: Damnit! Berlin "bribed" by Americans, Koeln captured by Americans.
Dortmund liberated.
Washington (Pyramids, Adam Smith) recaptured.
2021: Dortmund recaptured by the Americans (I didn't put in any defenses). Americans steal Telka Sumara.
Dortmund, Berlin and Naples liberated.
New Orleans, New York and Atlanta captured. Government escapes to St. Louis.

I just had a look at our score... It's 0! We got -2980 points for pollution.

2022: Americans liberate Hannover. We liberate Koeln and destroy Hannover.

(Since 2019, "Too many units" hasn't popped up anymore, by the way... And we only have 238 units)

2023: Buffalo recaptured by the Americans. We capture St. Louis and Taipeh, the new American capital is Los Angeles.
2024: We capture Cincinnati.
I established an embassy with the Enlgish. Since we can't contact human civs, we can't check this again. So here's the most important stuff from this year:
Capital: London
Treasury: 89819
Researching: Future Tech.
Salzburg captured.
At war with the Russians, Allied with the Americans.

Hurrah! The English have been so kind as to railroad nearly the entire distance between Salzburg and Capua. We can now travel from China to Egypt in an instant.
Los Angeles captured, American capital moves to Boston.

There's only one polluted square left on Centaurus (near the Spanish city of Toledo), but we are on the verge of another global warming. I'm not sure if this one persistent square is enough to cause disaster, but I suggest we get rid of it (together with Toledo). Building transporters near Toledo and Horse Feathers may also provide us with a good start at destroying the Spanish. Apart from that, I also have a Spy and 4 Dreadnoughts near Lisbon. We can use those to suitcase nuke Lisbon or Cannae and provide us with a nice beach head for further war with the Spanish.
I think we shouldn't bump into too many problems with the further extermination of the Americans, English and even Spanish (once we get started on that front). The Russians will probably be most difficult.
Old March 31, 2002, 16:24   #240
Mercator
Emperor

Oops... Forgot the attachment.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip zz_a2024.zip (140.4 KB, 5 views)