View Poll Results: How should the coup system be run?
1) Yea 13 35.14%
1) Nay 0 0%
1) Write-in 0 0%
1) Xenobanana 0 0%
2) Yea 10 27.03%
2) Nay 2 5.41%
2) Write-in 0 0%
2) Xenobanana 0 0%
3) The incumbant wins 7 18.92%
3) The challenger wins 1 2.70%
3) The General Secretary (or Chairman if General Secretary is being contended) decides 0 0%
3) The coup is kept open until another vote is cast, deciding the winner 4 10.81%
3) Write-in 0 0%
3) Xenobanana 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 18, 2003, 19:51   #1
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 10:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Coup system
We have discussed and talked about this, and as far as I know, this was the general consensus system. Therefore this poll is to ratify it (or not). That is article one.

The system I propose is this:

If someone wants to launch a coup, the must start a thread with "Coup Attempt" and the position they are attempting to take over. Then everyone who wishes to declares their support for either the incumbant or the challenger in that thread. After 5 days, the General Secretary (or the Chairman if the position being contested is the General Secretary) tallies the votes, and declares the winner. Voting is as follows:
Quote:
Secretaries of Republics - 2
Secretaries - 3
Politburo Members - 3
Chairman - 4
General Secretary - 5

With 2 extra points for the person that holds the position being contended (they will have extra influence over that department, being that they legitimately control the defenses and employees of that department)

All unappointed citizens get 1 vote.
If you hold multiple positions, you get the votes for all (since you control the defenses and employees of all of those departments, and you have the same influence as if multiple people held those positions). Split votes are not allowed, you must vote for one candidate or the other.

If you fail in your attempt to dispose of someone, you may not launch another coup on any position for a period of one turnchat, and if you succeed then no-one else may launch a coup against you for a period of one turnchat. However if the coup fails, someone else may launch another coup as soon as that coup finishes. There may be many coups for different positions going on at once, however if there is a coup for a position, it would break the 'one turnchat' rule to launch another while it is ongoing.

The options are:
  • Yea
  • Nay
  • Write-in (please specify)
  • Xenobanana

Article two is on whether it is possible for someone else to throw their hat in the ring and enter a leadership contest. That is, someone starts a coup on a position, and a third candidate enters later. The coup still times out at the same point, and the first votes cannot be changed (they have already committed their influence), however all uncast votes may be cast for either of the 3 candiates. After the 5 days, the votes are tallied and the one with the most votes wins. Article two is whether this should be allowed or not.

The options are:
  • Yea
  • Nay
  • Write-in
  • Xenobanana

Article three is what happens if the result is tied after 5 days.

The options are:
  • The incumbant wins
  • The challenger wins
  • The General Secretary decides
  • The coup is kept open until someone else casts a vote, to declare the winner.
  • Write-in
  • Xenobanana

The poll times out in 5 days. Please vote carefully!

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Last edited by Drogue; October 18, 2003 at 19:59.
Old October 18, 2003, 19:59   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

I voted Yea, Yea and the coup is 'kept open'.

I think the system works, so Yea for the first one. I think 3 way coups could be interesting, although obviously with votes already cast, it would be harder to win for a late entry, so Yea for the second.

On the last it was a process of elimination. If the incumbant wins, with their extra 2 points already, it makes it too hard to depose someone. If the challenger wins it makes it too easy. If the General Secretary decides then that gives him too much power, since he has 8 votes (the most posible for anyone) already. Therefore leaving it open is like sudden death, or golden goal in a football match. It goes to extra time, and the next goal wins. Having a repoll would just take way to long, as there would likely be a turnchat in between, and it would be way to burocratic.

Of course, if it proves to hard or too easy to depose someone, then we can always change the last option, to fine tweak it, or change the number of extra votes the incumbant gets. This is all easily done.

Last edited by Drogue; October 18, 2003 at 20:17.
Old October 18, 2003, 21:59   #3
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 11:50
All in all its not a bad proposal. so I will vote yeah, yeah and incumbant
Old October 18, 2003, 22:11   #4
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:50
Yea, Nay, and Incubant.

I vote so because I think that the coup leader should get to chose the the new leader to fill the forced vacation.

This would get people to support a coup, even if they didn't like the leader of the coup that much (he appoints someone other than himself to the position).

-----

And, here's a late idea:

If all members of the Politburo (secretary and chairman included) for one side, that side with that vote gets a bonus. Just a thought...
Old October 19, 2003, 02:25   #5
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 07:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X
Yea, Nay, and Incubant.
Old October 19, 2003, 04:32   #6
Vander
ACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 SunshineAlpha Centauri Democracy GameMacCivilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Morgan
Prince

Local Time: 03:50
Yea, yea, incumbant.
and then refusing to decide
Old October 19, 2003, 06:10   #7
Phenix
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Morgan
Warlord

1- Yea: the system seems fine and thought out good to me.
2- Yea: would add interesting flavor, and isn't too unbalancing because it's hard for the 3rd faction to gain enough votes.
3- the Incumbant stays: otherwise it would be too easy IHMO to launch coups. You need some decent support (or miltiary might ) to conquer the position of someone else. After all, he's got firm control of that department.
Old October 19, 2003, 10:41   #8
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Octavian's proposal re the Tie breaker is a good option. ie how the politburo vote. As all politburo votes are 3 it would be a simple head count.
Old October 19, 2003, 12:34   #9
Drogue
staff

Quote:
I vote so because I think that the coup leader should get to chose the the new leader to fill the forced vacation.

This would get people to support a coup, even if they didn't like the leader of the coup that much (he appoints someone other than himself to the position).
He can already. Whoever wins can choose who carries the position, it does not have to be that person.

Quote:
If all members of the Politburo (secretary and chairman included) for one side, that side with that vote gets a bonus. Just a thought...
Since all PB members get 3 extra votes already, that is already a hell of a bonus. If they all side for one side, that side will win already in almost any circumstance.

Old October 21, 2003, 16:50   #10
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:50
If someone wants to turn the results of this poll into more formal language to insert into the constitution, please be my guest. If not, it'll probably be until the weekend before I have enough time.
Old October 22, 2003, 02:06   #11
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:50
I'll get around to it one of these days... ask me on Friday.