Old October 19, 2003, 01:49   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Where can I download SNL skits legally?
I saw the funniest SNL production ever a few weeks ago. It was a cartoon called Super Hero Yankees. I want to download it so I can watch it again. I don't want to use Kazaa because first off, I hear it is illegal and you can get fined, and second, the selection of skits on it isn't very good. There weren't that many there last time I checked so I don't think that it would be on Kazaa. Where can I get it?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old October 19, 2003, 02:06   #2
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 05:51
RIAA fines a bunch of ppl and all of sudden ppl lose their balls to commit piracy
Old October 19, 2003, 02:09   #3
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:51
I doubt there's anywhere you can download SNL skits legally. Try posting in the alt.tv.snl newsgroup.
Old October 19, 2003, 02:30   #4
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 06:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
RIAA fines a bunch of ppl and all of sudden ppl lose their balls to commit piracy
Sad that people respond so easily to the RIAA's move.

My balls are intact.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old October 19, 2003, 02:39   #5
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 02:51
Why is it illegal? Isn't it just like taping it?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old October 20, 2003, 12:31   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 03:51
yes and no

I watched this one with Jerry Seinfeld as the host, and it literally had me falling from my chair.

It probably wasn't that funny though. It was one of those skits that might only be funny once.

It's where they had this game show and they were using all these standard stand-up lines like: what's the deal with airline peanuts?

Maybe it was just the way Jerry talks that made it so funny. Poking fun at his own style of humour.
Old October 20, 2003, 12:33   #7
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 13:51
I doubt you can get it legally by downloading.. maybe you could see if NBC sells the episodes in crappy VHS tapes for $30000 a piece. Or you can just download the whole shows like the rest of us law abiding citizens.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old October 20, 2003, 13:48   #8
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:51
The episode in question is the one with Jack Black hosting, which probably will be rerun once or twice in the next year. Just keep a lookout for it and you should be able to tape it right off TV.
Old October 20, 2003, 13:54   #9
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:51
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
Why is it illegal? Isn't it just like taping it?
I'm pretty sure that taping it is illegal aswell.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 20, 2003, 13:57   #10
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Taping a show for personal use is not illegal.
Old October 20, 2003, 14:05   #11
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Taping a show for personal use is not illegal.
Can you point to a source? I don't know myself, but I assume it is. I know that copying a movie is illegal and that making copies of audio tapes is illegal, so copying television shows would seem to naturally be illegal aswell.

If it isn't illegal, then is sharing television shows actually illegal? How can they define 'personal use' since everyone has access to television shows in the first place (exlcuding pay per view, obviously) And would it also apply to movies that have aired on television?

Do It Ourselves
Old October 20, 2003, 14:21   #12
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 06:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

Can you point to a source? I don't know myself, but I assume it is. I know that copying a movie is illegal and that making copies of audio tapes is illegal, so copying television shows would seem to naturally be illegal aswell.
Um, none of those things are illegal, as long as you're making the copies for personal use. It's taping with teh intent to distribute or publicly exhibit that gets you into trouble.
Old October 20, 2003, 14:24   #13
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Um, none of those things are illegal, as long as you're making the copies for personal use. It's taping with teh intent to distribute or publicly exhibit that gets you into trouble.
That's what's likely to get you in trouble, yes, but it's illegal no matter what you do with it.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 20, 2003, 14:25   #14
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Firefly is correct. (from TV only) (movies not yet broadcast are subject to different rules)

Sharing is a slightly grayer area. But physically handing a friend a tape has never been challanged.
Old October 20, 2003, 14:32   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Movies and audio tapes are seperate from TV - I was just making the natural assumption that if it's illegal to copy them, than it's illegal to copy TV aswell. I've heard quotes from TV executives calling it theft, if it isn't, show me some legal speak saying so.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 20, 2003, 14:40   #16
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Can't find any legal speak, but if it was truely illegal, wouldn't all those devices (such as this: http://www.dvdrecorder.philips.com/record_shows.cfml ) that advertise recording TV shows be shut down? Philips is a reputable company...
And if it were illegal, then it'd be akin to Philips creating a new P2P and saying "Never pay for music, video games, or movies again!".

Old October 20, 2003, 14:42   #17
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Mp3 players, audio cassette recorders, CD/DVD burners are all legal aswell.

EDIT: and I believe they did try to make VCRs illegal when they first showed up.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 20, 2003, 14:47   #18
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

But they aren't saying "Download your favorite games and play them again and again with....CDRDISK!!!".

Just trust me, its legal

EDIT: They tried, but a 1984 ruling said they were legal.
Old October 20, 2003, 14:52   #19
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
But they aren't saying "Download your favorite games and play them again and again with....CDRDISK!!!".

Just trust me, its legal
They do advertise the ability to make copies of games and stuff, but does it matter what they advertise? It's blatantly obvious what you can do with it. If you're saying that recording television shows is legal because VCRs are legal, then recording software and music would logically be legal aswell, since recording devices for their media types are also legal.

Do It Ourselves