Old October 19, 2003, 02:16   #1
C Zenith
Settler

Local Time: 10:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Various Questions
1) Does the attack bonus given by ballista towers, battlements, and flak towers apply to the attack rating of units defending a city, or units attacking from a city, or both?

2) Is it better for a government to have strict or relaxed pollution controls?

3) How is it decided where a unit ends up in a battle, particularly air units?

4)Can a unit it the frontline range attack units behind the enemies frontline?

5)What effect does a celebration have?

6) How should I use air units?

7) How does active defense work?
Old October 19, 2003, 08:41   #2
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 12:51
Re: Various Questions
Welcome C Zenith, I am not sure about all the replies but here is what I believe about each question:

Quote:
Originally posted by C Zenith
1) Does the attack bonus given by ballista towers, battlements, and flak towers apply to the attack rating of units defending a city, or units attacking from a city, or both?
The bonus is given to the units defending a city.

Quote:
2) Is it better for a government to have strict or relaxed pollution controls?
The more the control is strict the less you will produce pollution and the less discontent citizens you will have in each of your city because of the said pollution.

Quote:
3) How is it decided where a unit ends up in a battle, particularly air units?
The units are placed according to their category and the number of units in the category. The principle is that frontline units (Hoplites, Machinegunners, etc...) should occcupy the frontline, flanking units (some mounted units, Tanks) should be placed on the flanks of the frontline, support units (archers, catapults, artillery) should be placed on the second line. Non fighting units like settlers, lawyers should also be placed on the back.
Air units should be placed like supporting units, in the second line.

Quote:
4)Can a unit it the frontline range attack units behind the enemies frontline?
As far as I remember ranged units are always attacking units placed on the frontline.

Quote:
5)What effect does a celebration have?
I don't remember though a thread has been created recently about this topic, you should find it in this forum or in the CtP2 - Creation forum.

Quote:
6) How should I use air units?
I can only tell you how I use them. I use them either as independent units or supporting units. Whatever the case I always group them independently of the terrestrial or naval units.

Scouting mission: I send one unit or several units in different directions (they are never grouped in this case) to explore the frontier territory and spot ennemy moves or new settlements.

Harassment of the ennemy: I send independent grouped air units to kill the ennemy units lingering close to my territory or into it. Bombers can also be used to bombard ennemy units before they are attacked by land or naval units.

Support mission: the trick, as far as I am concerned, is to move the terrestrial units and air units independently.
1 - Move your land units close to the ennemy stack you want to attack
2 - Move the air units into the land units attacking force square and group them together.
3 - Attack the ennemy units with your Air-Land combined force
4 - Ungroup the air units from the land units and bring them back to a landing zone.

Attack mission: I sometimes use 10 or 12 units strong stacks of Fighters/Bombers units (especially stealth ones) to attack and destroy enemy stacks, either in defense when my land units are mainly occupied elsewhere or when I am launching an offensive to reach as quickly as possible my objectives without mobilizing too many land units.

Quote:
7) How does active defense work?
When you have an active defense unit, this unit automatically fires on an ennemy unit of the corresponding type if it comes close to your active unit.
Old October 19, 2003, 08:58   #3
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:51
1) Attack bonus applies to the units defending a city, when its their turn in the battle to attack.

2) Both have their merits, nothing can beat Communism for production in that era but it pollutes like hell, but what does it matter if pollution is turned off? If pollution is on just dont build mines!

3) Its decided by the type of unit they are. Range units go to the back if theres a Frontline/Flanking unit to protect it, if not the Range unit goes to the front.

4) No. Only Range units from the back line can attack the oppositions front line.

5) I dunno not alot, theres another thead in this forum asking that.

6) I only use em for scouting, theyre too expensive and die quickly to build en masse.

7) When an enemy unit goes within range of a unit capable of active defence, the active defence unit will automatically bombard the enemy unit.

- i type slowly
Old October 21, 2003, 01:15   #4
C Zenith
Settler

Local Time: 10:51
Some further questions:

8) Can I free my own slaves?

9) How many building constitute "many" regarding feats of wonder?

10) Throughout the text files, there are references to space cities and other similar things. Does anyone know what became of all this?
Old October 21, 2003, 07:09   #5
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
The only way to free them is to build the wonder "Emancipation Act", this wonder frees your slaves who become normal citizens and the cities of your opponenent with slaves revolt.

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know.

Quote:
10) Throughout the text files, there are references to space cities and other similar things. Does anyone know what became of all this?
There are no more Space Cities in CtP2, this is a leftover from Civilization: CtP.

Old October 21, 2003, 10:51   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well you could leave the city with all your troops if there are enough slaves in the city it revolts and form a new civ or becomes Barbarian, afterwards conquer the city back. Of course you should only do this if you have an army that can defeat a stack of archers. The number of archers you find in the city is qual to the numbers of slaves you had in the city before. The disadvantage of this method is that you lose some inhabitants of the city and maybe some inventory.

-Martin
Old October 21, 2003, 18:27   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 11:51
Quote:
Depends on the building. 10,15,20 or 25 depending on the age IIRC.