Old October 19, 2003, 03:19   #1
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 06:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How bad is female circumcision?
this seems to be one of those universal bad things that every group of every political persuasion can agree on being bad... my boy though was saying how on that issue, people have basically just given into the hype.

apparently, the main problems resulting from circumcision are sanitary issues that can easily be resolved in a hospital setting. the only inherent effect of female circumcision is a degradation of female sexual pleasure.

the thing is though... we practice male circumcision which supposedly also lowers sexual pleasure. are we being any better than some Nigerians just because we chose to fool around with the genitals of a different gender?

or is female circumcision much worse than male circumcision? cause it seems ironic and kind of sad if we are basically practicing the same thing we universally abhore.

something to think about...
Old October 19, 2003, 03:53   #2
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 05:51
Not having read your other current thread, I must say that having the two, titled as they are, in such close proximity vaguely disturbing...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 19, 2003, 03:54   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:51

Old October 19, 2003, 04:29   #4
Sikander
King

Local Time: 03:51
From what I've heard about it, female circumcision is equivalent to having someone doing a male circumcision. With a wakazshi.
Old October 19, 2003, 04:34   #5
geeslaka
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay

Is that your plan for dealing with your girl's overprotective mother AS?
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old October 19, 2003, 04:43   #6
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 05:51
I was thinking, more the mother's plan for the gf.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 19, 2003, 04:56   #7
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 02:51
The intent behind male circumcision is primarily medical, as it historically reduced risk of infection. Current medical studies have shown that in areas where clean water is readily available, with no risk of biological agents, male circumcision is not necessary. It is becoming somewhat less common in a large part of the world.

It's also done in infancy, and the sexual effect is most likely fairly small (it's not like there's any shortage of nerve endings after the fact.)

Female circumcision is done totally for the purpose of controlling women sexually, it is done generally at or around puberty when the clitoris is more exposed and accessible, and it is more akin to amputation than circumcision.

Tell you what, Albert - next time you're looking at your shlongola, think about someone taking the equivalent of garden shears and removing 90% of it.
Old October 19, 2003, 05:07   #8
Loif
Settler

What is a wakazshi?
Old October 19, 2003, 05:24   #9
spartak
King

Local Time: 10:51
probably a very blunt instrument of some description.
Old October 19, 2003, 05:25   #10
spartak
King

Quote:
Originally posted by spartak
probably a very blunt instrument of some description.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakizashi

Actually its the shorter of a smaurais two swords.
Old October 19, 2003, 06:00   #11
Loif
Settler

As a female I wouldn't recommend it.
Old October 19, 2003, 06:10   #12
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 11:51
About male circumcision:-

Quote:
It's also done in infancy, and the sexual effect is most likely fairly small (it's not like there's any shortage of nerve endings after the fact.)
Ive always had a problem with this idea. I am uncircumcised, and when Im hanging out in my boxers and my skin is rolled back, I chafe something chronic. Its so bad Ive got to roll my skin back over to stop it hurting. I imagine had I had my skin chopped off I would get desensitized.

If not then theres a hell of a lot of Americans in a hell of a lot of pain.

edit to clarify quote
Old October 19, 2003, 06:15   #13
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Used primarily for beheading defeated enemies, IIRC.
Old October 19, 2003, 06:15   #14
geeslaka
Prince

Snotty's right, but I notice that problem less if I wear tighty whities.(go on, say bad things about me for it, I don't care and I need the anger to keep me awake to argue with Asher.)
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old October 19, 2003, 06:32   #15
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:51
Basically, Excision (this is what we are talking about) is solely intended for the girl not to have any sexual pleasure in life. Male circumcision has very little effect on sexual pleasure, while excision means the excised woman will not feel any pleasure in the area. Besides, the way it's performed is most often dangerous for its victims, unlike the health-oriented male circumcision.

Excision is intended to strip women a part of their personality (sexual pleasure and sexual initiative) and nothing else. For many excised women, the only way to get sexual pleasure is sodomy. IIRC, you're not a big advocate of this practice
Old October 19, 2003, 06:38   #16
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Are you sure it just by sodomy? I assumed female circumcision removed the clitoral hood, and presumably part of the clitoris.

Would it not still feel good around, and just in the vaginal entrance, not to mention the g-spot, and the urethra to a degree.

Im sure sexual pleasure would be greatly reduced. Instead the pleasureable areas would all be focused on the areas stimulated by thrusting sex motions.
Old October 19, 2003, 06:39   #17
Snotty
King

Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka
Snotty's right, but I notice that problem less if I wear tighty whities.(go on, say bad things about me for it, I don't care and I need the anger to keep me awake to argue with Asher.)
You seem defensive about your small white pants....Is there something you want to tell us?
Old October 19, 2003, 07:16   #18
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Re: How bad is female circumcision?
Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
this seems to be one of those universal bad things that every group of every political persuasion can agree on being bad... my boy though was saying how on that issue, people have basically just given into the hype.
Your "boy" is a fool.
Old October 19, 2003, 07:21   #19
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 04:51
Quote:
Ive always had a problem with this idea. I am uncircumcised, and when Im hanging out in my boxers and my skin is rolled back, I chafe something chronic.
Odd. I'm uncircumcised, and i've never experienced this.

-theonion.com
Old October 19, 2003, 08:42   #20
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Just don't keep the skin rolled back then. Works for me.

Now this thread is getting really wierd...
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old October 19, 2003, 08:55   #21
The Viceroy
Prince

One of my previous gf's (sri-lankan muslim girl) was circumcised, and it most certainly had been something she was not at all happy with.

Its not just the reduction of pleasure, its the feeling of being physically molested at a young age, without concent. thats what really is bad about this practice.
Old October 19, 2003, 09:37   #22
Verres
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Snotty
Are you sure it just by sodomy? I assumed female circumcision removed the clitoral hood, and presumably part of the clitoris.

Would it not still feel good around, and just in the vaginal entrance, not to mention the g-spot, and the urethra to a degree.

Im sure sexual pleasure would be greatly reduced. Instead the pleasureable areas would all be focused on the areas stimulated by thrusting sex motions.
There are actually 3 different types of female circumcision, involving varying degrees of mutilation. Without going into too much detail, suffice to say that one involves total removal of the clitoris,and the other two go a little further - focusing on construction rather than destruction, if you see what i mean.

So not only does it mean loss of sexual pleasure,it can also make sex unbearably painful. Very, very different from male circumcision.
Old October 19, 2003, 09:57   #23
Chemical Ollie
King

Female circumcision is really awful. The girl become a cripple for the rest of her life and can never enjoy sex. That's probably the whole idea, so she will stay true to the man her parents choose for her.
Old October 19, 2003, 10:17   #24
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

IIRC, in female circumcision, the clitoris is removed, right? At the early stage, male and female embryos look the same. Actually, every part which we feel is "unique" to either sex has a counterpart in the opposite sex. It just happens, that in the Ontogenesis, the same root develops into something different. E.g,, the man's nuts are a woman's ovaries.
The ontogenetic equivalent of the clitoris is the clans, thus female circumcision is something really terrible!!!!! Without the clitoris there is almost no possibility for orgasm (apart from the extremely rare vaginal orgasm, but with all the pain at sex, this won't happen either...)
Old October 19, 2003, 10:19   #25
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The common practice in Africa seems to be the removal of not just the clitoris, but also large parts of labia majorae and labia minorae. Africa ritual circumcision is not done in a surgical manner, it's just plain mutilation. The result of the clumsy amputation of the genitalia is scarring of the perineum that results in chronic pain, and the scarring can even obstruct the urethral opening, leading to renal disease. While infection exacerbates th degree of scarring, it's also evident that the manner with which the procedure is carried out also produces much of the damage. Tissues are simply sliced away without any thought of how the area will heal. Thi claim is backed up by observations of the results of "hygenic" female circumcision performed by practitioners who have ben educated in the priniciples of sterile surgery. Even when performed with proper antisepsis there is still considerable residual impairment of the girls. You also have to consider that in many areas the procedure is performed for the purposes of preparing preteen girls for marriage to older men. Such marriages often are quite profitable to the girl's family. In such cases a simple clitorectomy would not suffice. I believe that one of Britain's female models underwent this procedure as a child. She has written extensvely about her travails. Does anyone remember her name?
Old October 19, 2003, 13:01   #26
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Female circumcision is one of the most horrific things I've heard. First take the shear pain of having very delecate parts of your anatomy removed by blunt knives, glass, scissors, etc. Then consider the long term effects, from infection and chronic pain to the inability to feel sexual pleasure or have sex (in extreme cases, involving the closing, stitching and even burning (using corrosive materials) of delecate openings). This is extremely horrific, and all done purely for the reason of controlling the sexual pleasure of a girl. IMHO it is one of the most barbaric things that can be done.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old October 19, 2003, 13:26   #27
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 02:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
Used primarily for beheading defeated enemies, IIRC.
More for fighting indoors or in enclosed spaces, or as a backup in case the tachi was broken.
Old October 19, 2003, 13:28   #28
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
More for fighting indoors or in enclosed spaces, or as a backup in case the tachi was broken.
Aren't I glad that I threw that "IIRC" in there...
Old October 19, 2003, 14:04   #29
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
I believe that one of Britain's female models underwent this procedure as a child. She has written extensvely about her travails. Does anyone remember her name?
Waris Dirie.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...881652-8577430
Old October 19, 2003, 14:45   #30
Oerdin
Deity

Why call it female circumcision? Call it what it is female genital mutilation.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.