Old September 18, 2000, 06:05   #1
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
City-based scenarios
There aren't many of them, certainly. There are few that are mostly around organized crime - I have never really liked them. However, I'd gladly play good one, if there was such, and it certainly is an untapped market, so to say. Some ideas:

1. Paris Commune
2. Warsaw Uprising
3. Some sort of post-apocalyptic, Fallout-like thingy, except set up on big, crumbling, heavily-hit city.
Old September 18, 2000, 06:19   #2
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I actually thought of that too this weekend. But I had some other cities in mind:
1. Caesar's siege of Alesia
2. Agincourt
3. Godzilla

I thought I read somewhere on the forums that you could make a fortress that functions both as airbase and fortress by letting an engineer change a fortress to an airbase and back (?), or something. Perhaps such a square could be used for a city wall-like thing. Where you can use missiles/paratroopers as cannon shots.

By hexediting a savegame it could also be possible to let cities be on adjacent squares... That way you could make giant inhabited areas, say Manhattan. I don't know how you should handle the food supplies, though.
Old September 18, 2000, 08:07   #3
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 07:04
I thinked about a Stalingrad scenario...
Old September 18, 2000, 11:28   #4
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Have you played Rome riots by St. Leo? That is definately one well-done urban scenario!

Of course there can be done just about any riot scenario, or perhaps the battle for Berlin in 1945.

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!
Mighty Carthage fought three wars:
It was still mighty after the first one, still inhabitable
after the second one;
It could not be found after the third one.
-Bert Brecht

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
Old September 18, 2000, 11:48   #5
Eternal
King

Local Time: 01:04
I was thinking about a scenario set in a city during an econmic crisis, and revolution breaks out. Not only do the (barbarian) anarchists get in the way, but the Communists take to arms, the reactionary Corporations set up a fascist organization to counter this, organized crime is trying to hold it's own. The government is trying to keep control, but the some citizens aren't satisfied with the government's actions, and have set up a vigilante program that sometimes comes in conflict with the police! The militia, seeing government exercising too much power, also rises up against it and other unlawful groups (this in the rural outskirts of the map). Such a collection of civs and the possibilities I think could make this a very good one, don't you think? I'm still thinking about it, but it's too big for me alone, because a lot of new art is probably necessary.
Old September 18, 2000, 14:28   #6
C0ckney
King

Blimy,

I had the idea of a city based game over the weekend as well (some telepathic link bettween civ2 players? ),

but my idea was for the last 50 years of the Byzantine empire, a hopeless strugle against the Turks but I think it could be fun, again a lot of new artwork will be required.
Old September 18, 2000, 15:10   #7
Allard HS
Prince

I am pretty far in a scenario of Liege in August 1914. It was intended as a zoom-in for an older scenario by me temporarily stopped, but removed from the whole because it not being practical.

If anyone wants to take it over; it's pretty well on its way. The map has just Liege and the ring of fortresses around it.
Old September 18, 2000, 18:07   #8
BeBro
Emperor

I thought about a siege scenario with a medieval city, like Acco 1291...perhaps next year

------------------
Civ2000
Old September 18, 2000, 18:35   #9
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 06:04
I have thought about the Stalingrad idea... and I think it would be very do-able.
To avoid being a duplicate of the "Gangster" scenarios I would do the following. Use one of the multi square terrains (Hills for example) to make streets and another to make rubble (Destroyed buildings). Remake the city graphics so each represents only a house or a building or a factory depending on size. With or without city walls could be the same building in pristine shape versus damaged (Windows shot out, roof caved-in) (Damaged=city walls ie the building has been turned into a fortress).
Houses (=cities) would be placed over the rubble areas and very close...actually with the hex editor I think it is possible to make them touch to form "city blocks" that would allow house to house combat. Names should be hidden (It may be possible to use the background color for the text as this is separate from the flag color)(The little bar above the flag is the text color). Now add a few things like parks, railroad tracks, bridge over the Volga... Separate the airforce from the ground force (Like Second Front, to prevent planes from landing in the houses) and you have the perfect battlefield for Stalingrad!

Old September 18, 2000, 23:33   #10
Eternal
King

Local Time: 01:04
Of course, the biggest problem with such close-in tactical scenarios is artillery. In the outskirts of the city artillery will need to be given air-unit carrying possibilities, but aritllery is less useful in the city itself, so... You may only have to give it a range of 4 or 5, so keep any cities on the outskirts 5 or 6 from the "cities" in the main city area. Artillery could still be used for the city itself of course, but this should be artillery that can't carry air units.
Old September 19, 2000, 00:43   #11
Hendrik the Great
Prince

What you just discribted seems to me very similiar to what was happening in Berlin after the 1st World War. There were streetfights between left and right groups, the police and the army had to keep some under controll and so forth...

I've been long thinking of making such a scenario and I have done some "research" into some possible events but most of them would require me to make new grafics for the buildings, etc. and I am just too lazzy to do that on my own.

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
http://members.xoom.com/thalys/index.html
Old September 19, 2000, 00:52   #12
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I have been tinkering around with a bribery (buy-out)based scenario set in San Fran for about a year now. I started by ICSing the entire map with barb cities, and there is no offensive weaponry so you are forced to buy "cities" and develop them. Irrigation is residential property, mining is industrial, etc.

It is hard though to get the AI to do anything sensible, so it is requiring a lot of tinkering. At my present pace I will be done in time for the US to win the World Cup in soccer...

By changing the hill terrain graphics you can make an interesting city scape without making it all look identical. (but again this is requiring a lot of graphics...)
[This message has been edited by Sten Sture (edited September 18, 2000).]
Old September 19, 2000, 06:47   #13
Jonicro
Chieftain

I would also love to see scenario based on Stalingrad someday. Specially after reading those Nemo's ideas for the scenario. Theyre all just great!

That Bebro's idea about mediaval city sounds really good too.

I have been thinking of making city-based scenario of Helsinki. It would be a fiction scenario in year 2020 where Helsinki is divided to several independent nations.
Old September 19, 2000, 08:04   #14
Allard HS
Prince

quote:

It may be possible to use the background color for the text as this is separate from the flag color

Still, it's impossible. Exactly the same as the colour or red used in the airbase does change to the civs owning it when used in those airbases, but the same colour does not work in most other icons, and gives a normal red colour instead, it works the same for the transparent colour. There's clearly a hardcoding somewhere on what images are and what are not allowed to have transparency.

Anyway, using any of the last two colours will not make the name of the city invisible. It will just have another colour, like light blue, sometimes, or purple.

But, of course, not every house would need a name, like Peter's house, John's house... They could be simply nameless, except for the major points of recognition.

As for the food shortage that was being mentioned; simple: use food caravans. This is especially useful for cities dependent of the agriculture around it. Think of the siege of Athens by the Spartans, burning the farms.
Old September 19, 2000, 15:44   #15
Miner
Prince

Streets could be ocean, allowing ships to be APCs and the like, since they can't take cities(house) the infantry must do that. Subs could be artillery, carrying shells. Don't know how the AI would handle this though (actually, I do, badly...)
Old September 19, 2000, 16:49   #16
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Hmm...reading throu all these really nice ideas I might actually decide to get started on a city based scenario. Please keep posting these nice ideas...

Oh, and C0ckney. If you want to make that scenario about Byzantium anyways I could give a lot of byzantine, ottoman and latin units along with a lot of info about history ect...

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
Old September 19, 2000, 22:49   #17
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:04
Have you played Rome riots by St. Leo? That is definately one well-done urban scenario!

Actually, it was very easy to make. The reason people like it so much is that it has no competitors.

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old September 20, 2000, 15:07   #18
C0ckney
King

Thanks hendrik,

That would be much appriceated. If you could sent tehm to cockney9@hotmail.com

Does anyone know of a map of the area ( I need one which covers Turkey as far east as Zonguladak, as far south as Izmir (possibley a little further north), as far west as Thessaloniki and as far north as burgas) If anyone knows of or could make such a map then that would be very much appriceated.
Old September 21, 2000, 00:08   #19
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I liked it (Roman Riots) because I could play it in less than a month!

Not that I don't love the HUGE epic scenarios, but it is good to have some choices that are smaller, quicker, and tactical.
Old September 21, 2000, 13:59   #20
Hendrik the Great
Prince

I don't have access to my email account right now but you can download them from my website. To download them directly go here: http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/thalys/unitscol1.zip

I hope they are what you are looking for!

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
Old September 21, 2000, 15:58   #21
C0ckney
King

The units are great thanks Hendrik, just what I was looking for

would it be possible for anyone to make the map I am thinking of?,
I would do it myself but I want the map to be good!

thanks
Old September 22, 2000, 08:28   #22
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Great I could help!