Old October 20, 2003, 13:34   #1
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 11:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Pax Romana !!
This looks like an interesting upcoming title

http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/dci...riptionUk.html
Old October 20, 2003, 13:55   #2
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Hmm, I'll keep an eye on this one.
Old October 20, 2003, 18:05   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 04:58
Its looks interesting but I have learned to be very skeptical of games lately.
Old October 20, 2003, 19:34   #4
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Shogun was called the best game in years but I hated it, I really don't know.. it seems just too static to me
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 21, 2003, 09:34   #5
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 06:58
it sounds interesting, but has Dreamcatcher ever succeeded with a strategy game? Didnt they also publish "Superpower" also an interesting concept, but ended up being a bit of a flop?
Old October 30, 2003, 10:40   #6
Stuie
King

A decent grand strategy game set in ancient Rome has long been a desire of mine. I used to play the boardgame Imperium Romanum II... too bad that hasn't been used as the basis for a computer game.

Anyway, I'm tentatively excited about Pax Romana; hope they pull it off.
Old October 30, 2003, 11:55   #7
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 12:58
I've followed this game some time now. It looks interesting! And the fact that the leader of the company was originally in the team making EU1, before he split off, is certainly a plus.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old October 30, 2003, 11:58   #8
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
I've followed this game some time now. It looks interesting! And the fact that the leader of the company was originally in the team making EU1, before he split off, is certainly a plus.
Interesting, so theres now a network of ex paradox developers, just like the network of Ex-microprose Civ developers.
Old October 30, 2003, 12:01   #9
Nikolai
Deity

Well, I don't know exactly how many that split off, but yes, you could say it like that.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old October 30, 2003, 12:04   #10
Nikolai
Deity

BTW, they seem to be following the "tradition" of Paradox, as it's rumoured that they allready is planning Pax Romana 2.
Old October 30, 2003, 16:12   #11
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

It looks promising, but they need to work on their translation.

Quote:
AARV has suffers 1 losses to attrition
Asmodean
Old October 31, 2003, 03:56   #12
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Well since posting this thread Ive readup extensively on this game and spent a little while on the forums for it. My conclusion is that the game will offer interesting strategy gameplay, and I especially like the idea of playing the leader of a faction within the senate of Rome.

Aplayer will have to pay attantion to whats going on in the senate or risk losing influence during the game itself, as well as managing any provinces under your control. Defence of any assets will be vital as the enemies will be watching for weakpoints and of course you will need to expand the empire.

From what I can see victory depends on your characters survival, on your factions survival and on Rome's survival. It seems the AI barbarians and fellow Roman factions will be trying their upmost to take power from you in the game.

The only thing Im not so convinced of yet, although there is not really enough info on it to pass judgement, is the real time combat mode. All in all though its looking to be a good little title and I think I will be getting hold of a copy when they release it.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 31, 2003, 06:01   #13
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

What's the expected release date?
Old October 31, 2003, 08:16   #14
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 10:58
And will it be in direct competition with Rome:Total War?

I know which one will get my €45,-

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old October 31, 2003, 11:04   #15
Nikolai
Deity

It has not gone gold yet AFAIK. But no, it's played in a whole different way than R:TW. Check out the official forum, and especially the AARs.
Old November 7, 2003, 19:05   #16
Nikolai
Deity

There is a thread in the official forum now, that states that PAx has shipped! There are plans on an international or at least inter-European release it seems. A gaming site it is referred to by one of the users, states that it'll be released on 28th November.
Old November 8, 2003, 13:13   #17
Asmodean
Emperor

Seems like an awfully long time from ship to release.

Asmodean

Last edited by Asmodean; November 8, 2003 at 18:12.
Old November 8, 2003, 15:14   #18
Nikolai
Deity

You bet. But that's how it is, isn't it? They'll get the game in sale right when people buy Christmas presents.
Old November 8, 2003, 19:28   #19
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Ordered mine from Game UK today

http://shop.game.net/
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 9, 2003, 07:31   #20
Mordoch
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

Interesting, so theres now a network of ex paradox developers, just like the network of Ex-microprose Civ developers.
This is a very unfortunate piece of confusion that keeps occuring. The head developer for Pax Romana made the original board game that inspired EU 1, no-one else on the developement team had any involvement with the EU series besides this link. None of the developers actually directly worked with Paradox at any time.
Old November 9, 2003, 09:35   #21
Nikolai
Deity

No, AFAIK one of the people working there at least was part of the developing team for EU1.
Old November 9, 2003, 09:47   #22
Nikolai
Deity

Quote from an interview with Philippe:

Quote:
Philippe Thibaut - The idea came in 1999 after I had designed the original board game Europa Universalis (EU) and its computer sequels, working with Paradox in creating the major game design features and adaptation for the PC version, from 1998 to 2001, I asked myself what historical period could be fun to play.
It seems like he was involved in the development of EU, doesn't it?
Old November 9, 2003, 16:04   #23
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Are you getting it Nikolai ?
Old November 9, 2003, 16:22   #24
Nikolai
Deity

As soon as it 1) comes to Norway and 2)I have money for it. Of course I have to take into account reviews, but I doubt they will be bad. My huge problem now, is that I want Victoria, CK, C3C, Pax... Christmas...my only hope!
Old November 9, 2003, 16:32   #25
Asmodean
Emperor

Nikolai...don't you have all the previous Paradox titles? You could ask Paradox to give you Victoria and CK Just as a reward for your loyalty

Asmodean
Old November 9, 2003, 16:39   #26
Mordoch
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
It seems like he was involved in the development of EU, doesn't it?
Its sounds like he's overstating his role. He may have communicated a bit with Paradox over EU1, but I strongly received the impression from Paradox that most of the adaptation of the board game occured on their own. What happened is the people at Paradox enjoyed the board game, so they decided to develope a computer adaptation before they even talked to Philippe Thibaut. I am confident as a closed beta tester that he didn't have any role in EU2's developement other than how he may have been involved in EU1.
Old November 9, 2003, 17:08   #27
Nikolai
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
Nikolai...don't you have all the previous Paradox titles? You could ask Paradox to give you Victoria and CK Just as a reward for your loyalty
That would surely be something! I do, as you said, have most of their titles, so I am in a good position I guess...
Old January 7, 2004, 20:24   #28
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 04:58
So has anyone played this game yet?

If so what's your opinion on it?
Old January 7, 2004, 21:13   #29
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

I'm interested in the Rome theme, but somehow the graphics don't quite appeal to me! I need reviews and critics from other people before I try it (sometimes negative comments on a game tempt me to play the game )
Old January 8, 2004, 05:25   #30
Nikolai
Deity

I've not tried it, and I'm not sure I will either. I've heard that the game is filled with glitches and bugs, and still no patch...