Old October 22, 2003, 13:43   #61
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
All the Universities were I live have required courses that you have to take to get a degree. What are you talking about? The school you went to did not have any required courses??
Old October 22, 2003, 14:18   #62
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 07:04
I don't think it's possible to have everyone come out of 4 yrs of college without "glaring gaps" in their education.

I was into History, Political Science (heh), Civ and Beer. My girlfriend was into Math & Computers, with occasional forays into History, Civ and Beer.

Even if I had avoided Civ and Beer, I still think I'd be somewhat lacking in areas like Mathematics/Physics, Chemistry (I hate chem, for no apparent reason), etc. I don't really enjoy those topics. My gf's did well in things she wished to do well in, but I doubt that even she could have managed to be well-versed in all subjects in 4 years.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 22, 2003, 14:33   #63
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 14:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
No doctor. Masters Degree, yes? We consider Bachelors Degree a shameful failure .

Just kidding with the failure thing. Besides after that I'd be like almost maybe 3 years away from that doctor .
didn't you just enroll? how the hell can you go straight to master's without having your batchelor's?
Old October 22, 2003, 14:38   #64
Pekka
Emperor

Azazel, I'll be compliting my BC in.. 3 years at most. Yes I'm studying a lot. And after that some more courses and then I'll do my thesis, and this should be completed in 5 years tops. But I'm already chosen for MD program, so I don't have to worry about the little things.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old October 22, 2003, 14:57   #65
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 12:04
I'm not sure what the topic is. If you have no required courses at all, what degree will you get?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old October 22, 2003, 15:00   #66
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 06:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel

didn't you just enroll? how the hell can you go straight to master's without having your batchelor's?
I believe Oxford/Cambridge gives its graduates a masters degree rather than a bachelors.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:04   #67
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
I'm not sure what the topic is. If you have no required courses at all, what degree will you get?
This puzzled me, as well.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:07   #68
HershOstropoler
Settler

I assume some liberal arts bachelor, but isn't that college rather than uni? Always found that US system confusing.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old October 22, 2003, 15:08   #69
Az
Emperor

Yep. Batchelor's majors minors...

We don't have majors and minors in my uni.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:13   #70
HershOstropoler
Settler

Well we have such combined studies in some areas. Mostly for academic training of teachers - which barely exists in the US, supposedly.

Is Israel's system more along the european university model?
Old October 22, 2003, 15:29   #71
Az
Emperor

Yes, Academic training of teachers, and Economics+management, and Chemistry+Material Engineering ( In such a case, the person gets two degrees. ), but those are very rigid, relatively. It's not that you can have a degree in Japanese History and Physics, as the american system would imply.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:32   #72
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 05:04
Quote:
I assume some liberal arts bachelor, but isn't that college rather than uni? Always found that US system confusing.
you have been exposed to americans for a few years now (on apolyton if no where else)

you would think that you would have figured it out by now

Jon Miller
Old October 22, 2003, 15:34   #73
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I always thought that a core curriculum was important, but maybe that's because that's what I went through for my BA. 4 semesters in English, 4 semesters in Religion, 4 in Philosophy, and 4 in math and sciences. You had at least some latitude on the actual courses, however. It didn't seem like too much of a hassle, even if some were slightly wasteful of my time.

There are some classes that I think need to be taught in order to live in the modern world, but perhaps they should be taught in high school. These are classes such as personal finance (beyond home economics that are taught in junior high school).
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 22, 2003, 15:35   #74
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

What AS means, I think, is a set of courses that everyone would *have* to take, regardless of which undergraduate degree they were pursuing. So I, the History major and my girlfriend, the Math & CompSci double major, would both have to take "Ethics" and "People Skills" (to use Adam Smith's examples).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:36   #75
HershOstropoler
Settler

Well our law study is about 85 % required courses in the frist 6 semesters (which would be about a bachelor), there's more leeway in the last 2 semesters (about 50-70 %). But that one would be highly "required" in the US too AFAIK; at least bar accreditation requires covering the key subjects IIRC.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:37   #76
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
These are classes such as personal finance (beyond home economics that are taught in junior high school).
I couldn't agree more. My highschool, incidently, had gotten rid of Home Ec by the time I got there. What I know about managing my finances is what I picked up from my parents. That's fine and all, but considering the issues this country has with personal debt (it seems), I think teaching high school kids how to budget and the basics of savings & investment would be a good idea.

-Arrian

Old October 22, 2003, 15:39   #77
Az
Emperor

The Law degree is 8 simesters? damn.
I get my B.A. after 6.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:41   #78
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller

you have been exposed to americans for a few years now (on apolyton if no where else)

you would think that you would have figured it out by now
Poly!

Well I happen to talk to Americans outside of poly, and even sometimes about tertiary education, but that is in part a source of confusion, as some seem to differentiate between college and uni, some use it synonymously. And from our point of view, it is difficult to understand the purpose and structure of "college" at all.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:43   #79
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
The Law degree is 8 simesters? damn.
I get my B.A. after 6.
Yeah, but that's a master degree. We'll start bachelors next year.

Until around 1980, there wasn't even a master's degree in law here, only a doctorate.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:45   #80
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

college and university are the same here

the only difference is that a university will also give a PHD (a college won't)

please ask me if you are still confused

Jon Miller
Old October 22, 2003, 15:46   #81
HershOstropoler
Settler

So they are different and the same. Thanks for clearing that up, Jon.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:48   #82
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

the degrees are the same

it is just that a college won't offer a PHD

Jon Miller
Old October 22, 2003, 15:49   #83
DanS
Deity

And in the US, even universities are referred to generically as "college". So there is "college football" which consists mostly of university football teams.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 22, 2003, 15:49   #84
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I am pretty sure that there are different degrees offered in europe besides PHDs, if there is than there is reason for colleges

Jon Miller
Old October 22, 2003, 15:49   #85
Az
Emperor

Quote:

Yeah, but that's a master degree. We'll start bachelors next year.

Until around 1980, there wasn't even a master's degree in law here, only a doctorate.
A master's degree in 4 years?

In Israel, it takes 3.5 years ( 7 simesters ) to get an LL.B , 6 simesters to get a B.A, 8 simesters to get a B.Sc. and 5 years to get a B.Arch.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:52   #86
HershOstropoler
Settler

So college offers law and med degrees? I thought law and med schools were usually part of universities, not colleges - unless you refer to unis as colleges, as Dan says.

Shouldn't be so hard to understand that this can be confusing.

"I am pretty sure that there are different degrees offered in europe besides PHDs, if there is than there is reason for colleges"

Well I can't make any sense of that either.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:52   #87
DanS
Deity

It's clear by reading this thread that Americans go to school longer than people in many other countries.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:55   #88
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:

A master's degree in 4 years?
Old system, the new master based on the bachelor will be 10 semesters (6+4). Also that's just minimum time; most actually need 10-15 semesters. I did mine in 7, but that was so unusual that the uni, can you beleive it, didn't have a form for that!
Old October 22, 2003, 15:56   #89
Az
Emperor

10-15 simesters?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People get Ph.Ds over here for such a period of time.
Old October 22, 2003, 15:57   #90
Pekka
Emperor

DanS, and how did you come to this conclusion? I'd like to point out, that in many countries we go to school longer before college. For example here it is 12 years. And THEN it's college. The level is naturally about the same, so it's not like we need to learn how to read for 12 years . We just don't call it a college at that point. So if we were straight comparing, I'd be closer to second or third year Uni/college student there. Also, our systems how long you're going to study are also different, because of different credit systems, but it's safe to say the final degrees are comparable and same.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.