Old October 24, 2003, 14:20   #31
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 12:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I've created a language too!
here's a sample:

Kom deg ut og få litt frisk luft før du blir innlagt. Bare kødder, stå på du!
Old October 24, 2003, 14:35   #32
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 06:06
How's this for a language?

**** you ********

means: "hello."
Old October 24, 2003, 16:53   #33
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:06
Quote:
You do know you can only use your upload space for civ-related stuff, don't you?
Ooops...moved to geocities (link changed in first post)

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old October 24, 2003, 17:09   #34
Al'Kimiya
Chieftain

I feel for you, I do. I too know the hardships of coming out of the conlang closet.
Old October 24, 2003, 17:18   #35
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Will you also have knights that go 'ni'?

I have a language I have created. It's called sdrawkcab...very easy to learn

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 24, 2003, 17:42   #36
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Will you also have knights that go 'ni'?

I have a language I have created. It's called sdrawkcab...very easy to learn
nOfi.

Translation of your post:
FAbenil-atAbin ogorOfi nitAnelo tAkinade "ni"-de?

FAban lanagAlo mAkanede. NE Ide bin sadarahukakabAlo...lanAro Ilo isIbin ferinAfi.

Earlier posts updated with vocab and passive voice (is)

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old October 24, 2003, 17:50   #37
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Thanks...next time I am in Inagalasia I'll remember that

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 24, 2003, 17:59   #38
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Local Time: 11:06
I'm gonna make a pilgrimage to the motherland of Caucasia and learn the whiteman's native tongue.
Old October 24, 2003, 18:01   #39
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 13:06
I suggest for every word in your language to be "snausages".

Snausages snausages snausages, snausages snausages snausage snausages. Snausages.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old October 24, 2003, 18:24   #40
civman2000
Emperor

Quote:
Thanks...next time I am in Inagalasia I'll remember that
Translation: HapIban Uka (thanks, lit. "I am happy because of you")...renenAbanil satUlo bafe inagalasIni.

Old October 24, 2003, 19:14   #41
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Hi fellow conlanger!
I wonder how you would say things like "who/which". Your relatives are only of type "that". There are differences between the various relatives. It's mostly direct/indirect object or subject, but in your case, I miss the subject / direct obejct part:
The man who talks (subject)
The man that I talk about (indirect object)
The man that I see (direct object - difference direct / indirect doesn't show well in English - in French que/dont).
Your grammar remains very English. You are just changing the way verbs are treated and the order of the words. Whatare the tenses, for instance? It looks like you have present and past.

If you really want to make a different grammar, check conlangs like all-noun, or lojban. These have quite funny grammars. Mine includes things like no pronoun, relative pronoun usually translated as 'parenthesis' (subject) or a dedicated verb (object), 4 pasts, 4 futures, 2 present tenses. It really requires thinking in a different way to speak in such a tongue, also because there are intentional omissions in the vocabulary (some concepts don't exist in that language). Just ideas.

Beware also that you say all syllabas are CV, but your language name starts with a vowel, so that is not true...
Old October 24, 2003, 20:30   #42
Xapina Matanaka
Settler

We'd love to have all of you share your languages on our conlang board, the Zompist phpBB. The more the merrier!
Old October 24, 2003, 21:36   #43
civman2000
Emperor

Quote:
Hi fellow conlanger!
I wonder how you would say things like "who/which". Your relatives are only of type "that". There are differences between the various relatives. It's mostly direct/indirect object or subject, but in your case, I miss the subject / direct obejct part:
The man who talks (subject)
The man that I talk about (indirect object)
The man that I see (direct object - difference direct / indirect doesn't show well in English - in French que/dont).
At first I considered making separate ones but decided to keep them all the same. Also, I may be confused but AFAIK all English relatives are the same in regard to their ability to replace different parts of teh sentence...maybe there's some difference between that and which, but I think that may be just prescribed.

Quote:
Your grammar remains very English. You are just changing the way verbs are treated and the order of the words. Whatare the tenses, for instance? It looks like you have present and past.
True, much of the basic things are the same. The tenses are present (unmarked), past (ed), and future (il). All three can also be in perfect or progressive forms. In this respect the language is very much like English.

Quote:
If you really want to make a different grammar, check conlangs like all-noun, or lojban. These have quite funny grammars. Mine includes things like no pronoun, relative pronoun usually translated as 'parenthesis' (subject) or a dedicated verb (object), 4 pasts, 4 futures, 2 present tenses. It really requires thinking in a different way to speak in such a tongue, also because there are intentional omissions in the vocabulary (some concepts don't exist in that language). Just ideas.
I intended for this language to at least be somewhat realistic as a real language, though I'm pretty sure having postpositions and yet having modifiers follow heads is very contradictory syntactically. A language of all nouns is, simply, inhuman. Some of your other ideas though do sound nice.

Quote:
Beware also that you say all syllabas are CV, but your language name starts with a vowel, so that is not true...
Well, technically that's true, but in every linguistic description I've seen it's assumed that the given syllable structure is the most complex that is allowed and that all simpler structures are also present.

Quote:
We'd love to have all of you share your languages on our conlang board, the Zompist phpBB. The more the merrier!
Registering right now, I've been interested in this sort of thing ever since I took a linguistics class over the summer!

Last edited by civman2000; October 24, 2003 at 21:43.
Old October 24, 2003, 23:17   #44
Cor
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
My reccomendation: Go outside more. Get a life.
You know what's funny about that get a life stuff? When people spend their lives telling others to get a life for doing something that interests them and actually uses their intellect.
Old October 25, 2003, 02:27   #45
headhunter
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
Maybe you should invest your time in trying to learn one of the many languages of the world that is going extinct as we speak.
Dumbass. Maybe he can't get to anywhere where he could do that? Did that thought ever cross your mind, you ignorarius!

We just like creating our own languages, if you think that's stupid, then just leave us alone.

:leaves:
Old October 25, 2003, 03:51   #46
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Quote:
though I'm pretty sure having postpositions and yet having modifiers follow heads is very contradictory syntactically.
Actually, there are real languages with many postpositions, including some which use lots of consonants as affixes( I can't remember if it's Hungarian) and people still seem able to talk the language.
Old October 25, 2003, 04:15   #47
headhunter
Settler

Yes, it's Hungarian. Also Finnish, Saami, and most other Uralic languages. The Altaic family is also fairly heavy into that area.

And, postpositions and head-modifier order are very common. They tend to agree with each other.
Old October 25, 2003, 09:44   #48
civman2000
Emperor

Quote:
Dumbass. Maybe he can't get to anywhere where he could do that? Did that thought ever cross your mind, you ignorarius!

We just like creating our own languages, if you think that's stupid, then just leave us alone.

:leaves:
Thank you for defending me, but you could've done so more civilly .

Quote:
Actually, there are real languages with many postpositions, including some which use lots of consonants as affixes( I can't remember if it's Hungarian) and people still seem able to talk the language.
Quote:
Yes, it's Hungarian. Also Finnish, Saami, and most other Uralic languages. The Altaic family is also fairly heavy into that area.

And, postpositions and head-modifier order are very common. They tend to agree with each other.
I know they exist and I know it does fit some with head-modifier, but constructions like N1-PostP1 N2-PostP2 that would be translated into english as PostP1 N1 PostP2 N2 seem very awkward because PostP1 seems to intervene in the middle of the positional relationship of N1 and N2-PostP2 (as in "pigA dogAde Ade", "my dog's pig", or "pig dog-of I-of", the first "of" really sounds awkwardly placed...). Also, the only postpositional language I know any of (Japanese) is a 99% head-last language.

Old December 8, 2003, 19:06   #49
ICBM
Settler

Location: MY WORDS ARE BACKED WITH A THREE-LEGGED CAT THAT HAS WORMS
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
I suggest for every word in your language to be "snausages".

Snausages snausages snausages, snausages snausages snausage snausages. Snausages.
Pikachu pika pika chu chu. Pikachu!
Old December 8, 2003, 19:10   #50
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

can "Sava" be the word for extremely sexually potent man?
Old December 8, 2003, 20:45   #51
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 07:06
If its not used in a grand epic about Elves, Dwarves, Wizards and Hobbits, then its not a real language.
Old December 9, 2003, 07:35   #52
DaShi
Emperor

I'm creating my own Chinese dialect. It's easy. Just be stubbornly persistant with your mistakes.
Old December 9, 2003, 07:39   #53
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:06
To make things even more fun you can add prefixes or suffixes to denote comparative status/age/whatever of the adresser and the adresse.
Old December 9, 2003, 08:01   #54
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Pikachu pika pika chu chu. Pikachu!
SNAUSAGES! SNAUSAGES SNAUSAGES SNAUSAGES SNAUSAGES SNAUSAGES!
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old December 9, 2003, 08:16   #55
DaShi
Emperor

Bulbasaur rules!
Old December 9, 2003, 08:41   #56
mindseye
King

Local Time: 19:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu

SNAUSAGES! SNAUSAGES SNAUSAGES SNAUSAGES SNAUSAGES SNAUSAGES!
Old December 9, 2003, 12:12   #57
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 07:06
I tried something like this a few years back. Wound up with an extremely compact language; words were constructed out of subject, verb, objects, and basically every other part of a sentence lumped together in one ball of verbal intent. Kanyitbarmeginmelantroshal. Or something like that. I gave it up when I realized that nobody would ever speak it and it was daft. But it's a neat exercise in applied linguistics, and there are worse ways to kill time. Dungeons and Dragons comes to mind...good luck.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old December 9, 2003, 13:23   #58
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Who bumped this toss?
Old December 9, 2003, 13:36   #59
Bereta_Eder
Settler

A linguist?
Old December 9, 2003, 13:52   #60
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Creating a new language?

I have had my own language for a very long time... just ask my friends

My roommate's learning my language also, but he hates it... he always use my language as a mistake (or so he says )